View Full Version : Is ADHD considered a disability in AUS?

laprius
03-14-07, 09:58 PM
Hey there, I'm just wondering what Australia considers ADHD to be, I know in the US it is classified as a disability and I know a couple of state disability services QLD and VIC from memory list ADHD but is it formally regocnised as such?

Lap

goughy
03-15-07, 04:12 AM
I don't know! I could ask my psych next week when I see him if you like. I'd never really thought about it myself!

I guess you could get compensations in your studies etc.

Ichpuchtli
03-15-07, 05:19 AM
I have I no idea. You can get meds. I have a feeling though it is not a disabily as such. Well ask and tell us because I have no idea.

goughy
03-15-07, 06:04 AM
I'll put it in my pda right now lest I forget ;)

~boots~
03-15-07, 09:13 AM
I think it is...I know we have to be registered on a mental health register to get our medications..and I am sure it is the register for disability..

FuturePast
03-15-07, 09:48 AM
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/dda1992264/s4.html#disability
DISABILITY DISCRIMINATION ACT 1992 - SECT 4

"disability" , in relation to a person, means:
(g) a disorder, illness or disease that affects a personís thought processes, perception of reality, emotions or judgment or that results in disturbed behaviour;
..."

FuturePast
03-15-07, 09:51 AM
http://www.hreoc.gov.au/complaints_information/publications/alternative_edu.html

Australian Human Rights & Equal Opportunity Commission

In Minns v Department of Education(14) ... the student had multiple disabilities identified as Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder, Conduct Disorder and mild symptoms of Aspergers Syndrome.

laprius
03-16-07, 09:22 PM
Thanks guys :D I figured it was you've been a great help :D

Just in relation to Goughy and his PDA...I've had one for years in an effort to get organised, do many of us have them? I find that while I haven't started medication yet (problem with script but next week fingers and toes) the PDA works for maybe a week then it becomes (too much of a hassle) and I stop it :S

goughy
03-17-07, 01:06 AM
I don't use it anywhere near as much as I should. But enough to justify it.

Crazygirl79
04-18-07, 04:21 AM
As far as I know ADHD/ADD isn't really considered a disability in Australia but you can access your local mental health facility to get your medications

mijahe
05-03-07, 11:20 PM
Thanks guys :D I figured it was you've been a great help :D

Just in relation to Goughy and his PDA...I've had one for years in an effort to get organised, do many of us have them? I find that while I haven't started medication yet (problem with script but next week fingers and toes) the PDA works for maybe a week then it becomes (too much of a hassle) and I stop it :SA week? That's good going. I've tried many many systems, none have worked. I get into it all keen, and then I forget to add something in, then before long I can't bother because it's too hard. I've tried online calendars, paper based calendars, PDAs, mobile reminders. All sorts of things. The only thing that has mildly worked is using my phone's calendar, because I never leave home without my phone, (it's a habit now).

Now that I know what I'm dealing with, (I didn't know I was ADD until a month ago), I might setup some easy system whereby, my spouse can remind me of events, and update/change events. (Being a big fan of opensource and linux - there's bound to be something there I can use).

QueensU_girl
05-04-07, 03:48 AM
Disability laws tend to differ depending on what one is trying to accomplish.
e.g.
-extra time on an exam? Probably granted
-get paid tutors? Possibly granted (may even be a gov't program to pay for cost)
-get a job w/o a degree [due to disability]? Not likely granted/accommodated
-get gov't money/disability pension? Highly not likely/Rare unless extreme disability

Crazygirl79
05-07-07, 09:02 PM
People with ADHD can get the disability allowance in Australia but they do have to have a co existing condition and they have to be affected by their "disability" by 20% or higher.

Selena

acceptance
05-18-07, 02:30 AM
mmm.as far as the quacks go,we just have added letters to our "number".we dont get any special treatment and if we did everyone would be looking up the critieria on a.d.h.d.,then acting out and wham there ya go,it would be too easy out there,dont you think?

Animal
12-19-07, 09:16 PM
A week? That's good going. I've tried many many systems, none have worked. I get into it all keen, and then I forget to add something in, then before long I can't bother because it's too hard. I've tried online calendars, paper based calendars, PDAs, mobile reminders. All sorts of things. The only thing that has mildly worked is using my phone's calendar, because I never leave home without my phone, (it's a habit now).

Now that I know what I'm dealing with, (I didn't know I was ADD until a month ago), I might setup some easy system whereby, my spouse can remind me of events, and update/change events. (Being a big fan of opensource and linux - there's bound to be something there I can use).I find that the calendar function in my phone works well.... noisy reminders at whatever time I want.... love my phone, 2 GB, it's my MP3 player, calendar, phone book, entertainment on the bus (games), camera...... and I can use it for phone calls and messages too!! :p (Selena you must be getting RSI from all those messages!)

As far as ADD being a disability..... where's my disabled parking sticker? I want the best parking spots everywhere! :D

Crazygirl79
12-25-07, 02:08 AM
Ha ha Mr Funny Guy!!:eyebrow:

Actually I've had a check up recently (due for another one soon!) and I wasn't diagnosed with RSI!!!:p

My written communication skills far outweigh my verbal communication skills...although I can talk just not as much as YOU do on the odd occasions we speak on the phone!!!!!!!!:p :p

Selena:)
I find that the calendar function in my phone works well.... noisy reminders at whatever time I want.... love my phone, 2 GB, it's my MP3 player, calendar, phone book, entertainment on the bus (games), camera...... and I can use it for phone calls and messages too!! :p (Selena you must be getting RSI from all those messages!)

As far as ADD being a disability..... where's my disabled parking sticker? I want the best parking spots everywhere! :D

aloha1983
02-14-08, 01:28 AM
Hey,
I am 24 and have a disability pension to fall back on. Now I am finished my degree I am job hunting. Tutor in the afternoons, I love it.

But I did have clinical depression dues to going undiagnosed until the age of 21. Just being frustrated and constantly told I was useless obviously lodged itself in my body somewhere because I still get episodes where my body is in physical pain, I feel like someone has died or something, because my mind is mine but my body shuts down.

So perhaps this was a factor. These days it only happens for a few months every two years (not sure why the two year gap) but life is much more managable.

perfectlyflawed
06-16-08, 12:45 AM
Disability laws tend to differ depending on what one is trying to accomplish.
e.g.
-extra time on an exam? Probably granted
-get paid tutors? Possibly granted (may even be a gov't program to pay for cost)
-get a job w/o a degree [due to disability]? Not likely granted/accommodated
-get gov't money/disability pension? Highly not likely/Rare unless extreme disability

That's pretty much what I was going to say. Interestingly though, I know that when I was a child my parents got some sort of disability payment and reduced cost of meds because of both myself and my brother having ADD, but some time in my teens this was withdrawn as we were deemed to be "less disabled". I'm not sure of the specifics though, sorry.

Another thing I found quite strange was that the special exam provisions for an ADD student in the HSC include a scribe. I would have thought that for someone with ADD, having to unjumble ones knowledge into some sort of logical, coherant arguement whilst dictating would be MUCH more difficult than simply writing it oneself. But maybe that's just me.

gumlu
12-10-08, 07:09 AM
As far as centrelink is concerd ADD/ADHD on it's own is not a disability but add some other disorder. I have ADD plus I suffer from neutrally mediated sycope ( I fanit and stay unconscious for a min of 5mins to up to 2 hours). I am now on disability support pension after a long fight.