View Full Version : Be part of a writing project

satavi
03-16-07, 01:09 PM
My name is Karin Klein, and I'm a writer for the Los Angeles Times, spending much of this year on a fellowship to report and write a long-term project on the ADD Generation now that these people have reached young adulthood.

These are people who were diagnosed as children sometime during the past 25 years or so. They are the first people to have been diagnosed during a time when ADD/ADHD was a much more common diagnosis, recognized for the first time as a medical rather than psychological condition, treated with the large-scale use of medications and recognized by the schools, to some extent or another, as having special learning needs rather than being "troublemakers." Now that they are in college, or starting careers and families, they are at the vanguard of what life offers for future generations growing up with ADD/ADHD.

By far the most important part of this project are the real stories of real people. I'm hoping you would like to be a part of this project and share your stories of growing up with ADD and taking on the responsibilities of adulthood. I'm looking for people in the age range of 18-35. I'm also interested in your advice about aspects I should be looking at or resources you think I should be checking.

You can verify my credentials by googling "Karin Klein" and "Los Angeles Times" and find out more about my fellowship and project at http://www.spj.org/news.asp?ref=618. (The administrator of this site also has checked out my credentials.) Please feel free to private-message me.

Karin Klein

dormammau2008
03-18-07, 10:39 PM
Warm Wellcome Starvila An Iam Shore More Will Get Back To You,...iam Still Waiting On Tests Myself I Knoe For Fact I Do Have Dyelaixa /biut Aspy...an Most Likely Adhd As Well I Looks Forwades Tro Reading More From You

Iam Shore Others Here Will Responed To You...

Thanks For Postinh

Dorm

mccinny
04-15-07, 01:42 PM
Sorry, I can't help you. I wasn't diagnosed until October 2005 and I'm almost 34 myself.

If I may ask. Are you looking for people that actually have ADD/ADHD or some that were possibly misdiagnosed. The name ADD generation makes me think of just a label more than an actual group of people dealing with a disorder (ie. Gen. X).

Best of luck in your work.

D

Onine
06-24-07, 10:04 AM
I agree. I am slightly insulted by your comment "ADD Generation"

ADD knows no generations. I am undiagnosed this long because I thought I was normal and everyone was telling me I was stupid. I was also abused which is mostly what caused this problem. I dont think a good deal of us just ended up having it one day, like "poof!". Some of us do, but others dont. I would be very careful not to insult someone because you are headed down that road.

I will not help you. You will not use a single word I've said here.

Good day to you, Sir.

Revz
06-27-07, 11:34 PM
I am not insulted by your ADD Generation because i understand the concept behind it. We are growing up in an age where ADD is much more understood. Not only that but many famous people throu out history we are realizing just now most likly had ADD. Its amazing how creative and imaginative we are. I am glad im growing up in the ADD Generation as opposed to being diagnosed when im 40 or 30 and have already wasted and screwed up most of my life and not having understood why. now that we know these things we can adapt to YOUR "farmers" society and try to survive until the world changes again to hopfully suit our kind(hunters) better. This is assuming you have heard of the hunter/farmer theory or the Wetiko. but neways im 17 will be 18 in 4months so that may be close enough.

ADDCoach4u
09-21-07, 01:14 PM
Before you respond to her, you might want to read her op ed in the LA Times about ADHD stigmatizing ADDers that take meds that was widely reprinted on the net, (Results 1 - 10 of about 930 for "pencils, pens, meds" in google) to understand her point of view on ADD and medication.

As kids head to class, pharmaceutical companies ramp up their drug marketing -- and it works.
By Karin Klein
August 20, 2007
Opinion : Op-Ed

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-klein20aug20,0,7161010.story

Here's a few paragraphs

"Drug companies would argue that increased production and use of ADHD drugs are the result of better diagnosis and treatment. But the International Narcotics Control Board holds advertising responsible. In a report earlier this year, the board noted that from 2001 -- when the ads first appeared -- to 2005, medical consumption of methylphenidate increased by 64%.

"That large increase was mainly a result of developments in the United States, where the substance is advertised in the media, directly to potential customers," according to the report."

"Yet other countries are making do with far less of the medications. "

"Powerful psychotropic medications should be an option of last resort and uninfluenced deliberation, not another brand-name product to add to the back-to-school shopping list."

QueensU_girl
09-24-07, 01:22 AM
First of all, I'd have to say "holy assumptions, Batman".

The greater problem is: lack of diagnosis early in life

LOL

Many of our experiences here are actually just the opposite of the journalistic assumption, especially among the non-H+ female (and adult female) population.

If anything, we weren't diagnosed as children (or "troublemakers" as the stereotype which you quote, suggests).

In fact, lots of adults (and esp adult women) are just being diagnosed as Adults.

Child "troublemakers" with ADHD/ADD, are not just Attention Deficit. They usually have ODD or Conduct Disorder on board too.

Unfortunately, getting the public and media to understand the concept of co-morbidities is never addressed, or successfully disseminated, it seems.

It's pretty sophisticated, conceptually, ESPECIALLY considering that the average person has a literacy level of Grade 6 or Grade 7, and most scientific or medical literature is written at a Grade 12 to Grade '15' level.

QueensU_girl
09-24-07, 01:24 AM
I don't really understand what "special learning needs" means either. Most us here weren't "special ed kids".

In fact, quite a number were identified as being somehow 'Gifted'. Probably larger than the average population.

essentia
12-13-07, 07:57 PM
A bit late to the thread but I've only just found this BB.

"ADD Generation" is an appalling coin-of-phrase. It is a trope so elastic of meaning that I have to wonder why Ms. Klein would choose to employ it when more precise words will do. Presumably, Ms. Klein is sufficiently skilled at the craft of opinion writing to be up to the task. After all, she's an editorial board member of the LA Times, a powerful position not often held without years of demonstrated compentcy in reporting and writing.

But here is what's worse: her op-ed amounts to much less than a call to "Think of the Chidren!" and closer to a plea for a near-prohibition on the use of an already highly Controled Substance -- all in the name of the so-called War on Drugs.

Here's the hinge of her argument (emphasis mine):

So August has become a prime time to market the idea that a change in drug for the new school year (Concerta to Adderall?) might help the kids focus better, keep them going longer or have fewer side effects. Direct-to-parent marketing of ADHD drugs -- most of which are stimulants -- has grown pervasive over the last few years, despite a United Nations treaty banning most of it. Use of such medications increased by more than 60% from 2001 to 2005, according to the International Narcotics Control Board.This woman is, unfortunately, rather ill-informed about the jurisdictional protections U.S. law places over its inhabitants. But fortunately for consumers, a ban on direct-to-parent (sic) marketing is about as unenforceable as the Eighteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution was.

blueyeyore
12-13-07, 08:09 PM
I agree with Queen on this because this is my experience with it being diagnosed at 22. I was a bright child that never made any trouble for anyone.

First of all, I'd have to say "holy assumptions, Batman".

The greater problem is: lack of diagnosis early in life

LOL

Many of our experiences here are actually just the opposite of the journalistic assumption, especially among the non-H+ female (and adult female) population.

If anything, we weren't diagnosed as children (or "troublemakers" as the stereotype which you quote, suggests).

In fact, lots of adults (and esp adult women) are just being diagnosed as Adults.