View Full Version : Effective Phrases?

Proud2BAteacher
03-16-07, 03:22 PM
I need some quick but effective phrases when a child is not following directions, talking and/or fooling around. So that I can nip in the bud early...without a bigger issue. But ones that mean business.

I'm running out! I just want something quick and easy to say...any ideas?

Proscrire
03-16-07, 03:47 PM
What age group?

Proud2BAteacher
03-16-07, 04:11 PM
1st grade. Age 6/7

mom23
03-16-07, 04:40 PM
Have you tried "1-2-3 Eyes on me" with the child responding "1-2 eyes on you!"

It takes a little training on everyone's part, but I found it effective in a pre-K class, and with my three children at home. Works with individuals or groups.

mom23

Proud2BAteacher
03-16-07, 04:58 PM
Sounds cute! I'll have to try that!! Thanks.

This year has been tuff I have one ODD child, one add child and 2 adhd children all in one class! On top of this I have to keep the other kids on task, they are distracted by the adhd behavior. It gets so stressful!

mom23
03-16-07, 10:50 PM
I bet it's stressful! I was a preschool teacher in a past life, and now have 3 little ones of my own ... one is ADHD/PDD-NOS, the other is a brain tumor survivor with executive function issues (they are fraternal twins, age 7), and my eldest, a gifted 10 year old girl. And I have ADHD on top of it all!

I have so much sympathy for my (ADHD) son's teachers (he is mainstreamed, with pullouts for academics, OT, speech, and, when necessary, emotional cooling off time). His teacher has several kids with special needs in her room, and it is a constant challenge.

Do you have supportive admin? Parents?

Kudos to you ... and hugs,
mom23

Imnapl
03-17-07, 11:37 PM
Winning at teaching . . . without beating your kids. (live keynote address)
By Barbara Coloroso (my hero).