View Full Version : Takeing on sewing my own clothes...any advice?

Vhan
03-18-07, 02:33 PM
Well, I have some needles, some threat, a old jacket, and some outher shirts I plan on ripping apart, and sewing.....

I guess I should first ask if anyone knows of any good websites to help get me started :p

As far a pattrens go, the reason I'm trying to make my own clothes is because "my style" Isn't exactley sold at your local mall.

Think, FF10, meets Hot topic, and you'll start to get the Idea.

:p

any info would help,
-thanks!

FrazzleDazzle
03-18-07, 03:16 PM
Vhan, I have "professional seamstress" on my resume, and a cerfiicate in Clothing Construction and Design. If you like, if you give some more info on what you are wanting to do, perhaps I can help you get in the right direction?

VisualImagery
03-18-07, 04:09 PM
Can you take a clothing class next year in high school? That will really help-I teach Clothing and Textiles. Reworking clothing can be so creative and fun. As you take things apart, notice how they were sewn-it is a good way to learn things too.

Go to the bookstore and look at sewing books-you might like these to get you started! They are cheaper at Amazon! Do you have a good basic machine that zig-zags? You can get good used ones for pretty cheap from a machine repair person!

Generation T (http://www.amazon.com/Generation-T-Ways-Transform-T-Shirt/dp/0761137858/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-4410457-3183363?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174248216&sr=8-1)
Rip It Deconstructing Clothes (http://www.amazon.com/Rip-Deconstruct-Reconstruct-Clothes-Dreams/dp/0743268997/ref=pd_bbs_2/102-4410457-3183363?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174248216&sr=8-2)

This is fun to do and creative-although you might want to start very simply to avoid frustration!

I reconstruct and use unusual fabrics like damask tablecloths and my hand-dyed fabrics for my clothes and do some creative things with buttons and unusual seam and construction techniques.

I tailor and have sewn for years and also can make my own patterns so this is a huge field for you!

HAVE FUN and remember-it is ok to mess things up-just learn and go on! Practice on cheap stuff first!

Vhan
03-18-07, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the replyies :p

Very helpfull!

hehe, I just got done wolfingmy dinner so I could get back to sewing ASAP, Allmost done with the first sleve, and I'll post some picks when I'm done ;p'

Vhan
03-18-07, 09:11 PM
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w97/Vhanbucket/013.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w97/Vhanbucket/024.jpg

I finally got the first sleeve done, Should have the outher one soon, and then I need to do some trimming work on the bottem, and sew up some outer stuff :p

Crazy~Feet
03-18-07, 09:23 PM
Kewl! Reminds me of Cloud's gear. :)

Vhan
03-18-07, 09:33 PM
Yea, you can see a little bit of the old sleeve under the new one, I plan on sewing a white border onto that, about a half and a inch I think.

Then I'm going to work on the back a little bit,

So, yea, this should be great.

FrazzleDazzle
03-18-07, 11:06 PM
Well done, Vahn! That looks like a lot of fun. You must have a sewing machine, getting as much done as you have so far! I always enjoy seeing the younger set doing their own thing, rather than going with a crowd. Feel welcome to post more pics of your special creations!

Vhan
04-06-07, 07:48 AM
OK! now that things have started to settle down I'll be back to work on my sewing projects!

hehe, I have some very good ideas I can't wait to get done! ==rubs hands togeather== hehehehehehehe, ....this is gonna be good!

Vhan
04-16-07, 10:38 PM
Ok, sorry I haven't posted for a while, (hope you guys didn't give up on me!)

after burning some cash at a army surplus store, I scored 40 feet of nylon strap that I can use to re-inforse my clothing.

Needless to say....I have been haveing some MAJOR fun lateley.

Right now I'm still working on my jacket, and I have also been working on a Hat, a belt, and some outher projects in the "incubater" stage...

I promise to have picks up soon, till then, later.

~boots~
04-16-07, 11:05 PM
cool pics V :-)
enjoy
xx

Ichpuchtli
04-17-07, 06:28 AM
Sewing eh? I have being reading this over and thinking how when I tried to start to repair somethign that I had damaged I got the sewing machine out sat down. Figuring out only then that I had no idea how to even start the thing. :D

Vhan
04-21-07, 01:34 PM
Ok, just got finished sewing a nylon strap to my sleave, (I'm useing it as a border material) it took me about 45 minutes to finish this mourning, but was well worth it!

Hey, does anyone know creative ideas for belts? I picked up three belt buckles, but don't really have a good idea with what to do with them yet,

I guess I could go for the han-solo look and have them drooping on a leg or something, anyway,

any commets would be appricieated!