View Full Version : Math

Digger1
03-19-07, 11:12 AM
I've never understood math. Occasionally, I do get flashes of insight into how some numbers go together.

I need basic math skills to get into college to take one of the prerequisites for my degree but I can't do math! They want me to take algebra. :eyebrow:

Will Sylvan or other professional tutors work with adults?

Now that I'm on Strattera, I might be able to take an adult ed. class.

lars
03-19-07, 03:03 PM
Hi Digger1, and welcome to the forums.

I can relate to hating math. I failed miserably in high school, and never had algebra before college algebra. I went back to school in 2003, and am now a first semester senior. I had to take a few algebra prep courses to prepare me, but I eventually passed the algebra. I am now taking precalculus, and will either take calculus this summer, or wait and take it in the fall.

There is much help available these days. From online tutors, to algebra software programs, to face to face tutors at the school. I never used one of those learning centers, but I have heard that they are effective too.

boone1
03-19-07, 05:45 PM
I have dyscalculia, Iv'e only just found out though so Im not sure what help there is for people who have trouble with maths.I can't do basic multiplication without using my fingers and i usually get it wrong.

Ive got a tutor now, ive only seen him once so far and that was to test my strenghts and my weaknesses and hopefully this will help me pass my exam.

When I have a maths lesson I take my work home with me (because I never get it finished at school) and this helps alot because I can do it again at home so im more likely to remember bits.

auntchris
03-22-07, 01:41 AM
I also am having problems in math... I always have... I would like to be tested and it might be worth or while to do the same. That way you know why you have problems with math.

I would go to the tutors at the school. That is what I am doing

You can call Sylvan and see if they will work with your age group.

I would get tested then you can have accommodations for math.

Lipz17
03-22-07, 02:01 AM
I can relate to "hating math". I have always strugled in math and probally always will. When i was younger i was in special classes too help me but still struggled.Now that i am back in school, i am still struggling but one thing i find VERY helpful at my school is they have free tutoring and all of my math instructors so far are awesome and will go over the material 100 times if that is what it takes for me too get it through my head.

Good luck with your math studies!!!