View Full Version : News story on missing Boy Scout ...

addusin
03-22-07, 02:06 PM
Anybody else think that this newstory portrayed this boy in the worst possible light:

Scout reportedly had planned to hitchhike (http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-03-20-missing-scout_N.htm?csp=34)

Not one word about how amazing this boy is for surviving for FOUR DAYS without his medication, but plenty of nit-picky coments that make him look like he's lazy, entitled, demanding, greedy, selfish, and little else :mad:

I hate the media!

spacedout
03-23-07, 02:15 PM
It sounds to me like Michael made a series of impulsive (and poor) decisions that led him to the situation he was in. I don't think lectures about hitchhiking are really going to help avoid him wandering away again. And I agree, they couldn't have made him look worse.

What a survivor!

goughy
03-23-07, 04:45 PM
I didn't think the story was too bad, and I don't think they were too rough on him. They left the comment about his medication to very late in the story. From what I remember of my journalism most people don't read that far through a news story.

Buttercup
03-23-07, 05:09 PM
I don't think it was that harsh. I actually think his father's comments were a bit strange.

But in any case, I don't think we, as a society, should commend anyone in situations that are a result of bad decisions. Sorry!

A case in Maryland a few years ago comes to mind. A 7 or 8 year old boy was touted a "hero" after surviving burns sustained over, I think, 60-70% of his body. The fire was caused by his playing with matches.

Don't get me wrong. I don't say we can't be compassionate & empathetic, but don't call them heroes & have celebrations in their honor.

bc

Zach326
03-23-07, 09:14 PM
"ouch"

Gotta be carful around here - Stone throwers ;)

I can throw stones though! I never make mistakes after all - especially not compulsive ones! :rolleyes::foot:

Ok - so who is up for a stoning?

I have a fine selection ranging from small boulders to pea gravel - whatever your stoning needs may be. :D

BTW buttercup - I know your trying to make a point - but please donít use an 8 year old with horrible burns as an example for who we should not call a hero - this struck a nerve with me although I know your intentions were not negative...

I would tell that 8 year old he is a hero every day for getting out of bed and facing the world after what he has been through.

I had a friend who burnt down his friends house because he did not put out a match properly - he spits on every match he uses now and then worries about it after wards for an unreasonable time. These events scar people and some times we tell them things to try and lift them up.

- Me

addusin
03-23-07, 09:57 PM
BTW buttercup - I know your trying to make a point - but please donít use an 8 year old with horrible burns as an example for who we should not call a hero - this struck a nerve with me although I know your intentions were not negative...

I would tell that 8 year old he is a hero every day for getting out of bed and facing the world after what he has been through.Well put!
The first question I would ask is, why wasn't an adult watching that eight year old boy?

Besides I hardly think that the 8-year-old was playing with matches because he was uncomfortable in his group and was homesick.

Something about that overnight trip made that child uncomfortable, it might have been that there were some mean kids in the group who wouldn't leave him alone.

Besides there are ways to recognize accomplishments even in the midst of a bad situation without condoning the actions that got him there. The writer of the article clearly had an agenda which is why his survival and the circumstances of it were barely touched upon.

-ad

lurker
03-25-07, 05:28 AM
honestly that news story isn't half as bad as I thought. They just told it as it was.

Compare that to the plight of Shawn Hornbeck, the teen who was found after four years--- a East Tennessee University newspaper wrote a scathing column on Shawn Hornbeck, calling him a manipulative liar and going so far as to say that they second young boy who was kidnapped was possibly nabbed as a plaything for Hornbeck.

Obviously it was very irresponsible to try to hitchhike home, not at least making your request to go home known to the people around you. ALthough it must be said fthat for people who are desparately homesick, being responsible or not is no longer a priority.
But on the other hand to wander around for four days on your own is a harrowing, to say the least, experience and would take great fortitude within the person.
Let's just say it was a mistake that he made but at the same time he may well have discovered bravery in him that he didn't know he had.

Imnapl
03-25-07, 04:27 PM
As parents, we often have to analyze our motivation in encouraging kids to do things they don't want to do. This young fellow was honest about not liking the Scouting trips and had had enough. I'm sure we all can relate. Fortunately, everything turned out all right.

VisualImagery
03-25-07, 04:49 PM
Hey 12 year old kids do things like this all the time-ADD or no ADD! Sounds like he does not like camping-or perhaps even Scouting-there is nothing wrong with that! Reading between the lines I would say he despised it since he made the decision to walk away-he had had enough of it and made a decision. A very ill-considered 12 year old decsion, not an ADD decision.

I hated piano lessons and was forced to take them for 6 years. I cannot play to this day. The day I stopped was a great day!

Any child who is forced to do something they are not interested in doing will lose interest. I wonder what he is interested in doing and if his parents will nurture that intead of keeping him in scouting.

Hey, I broke my eyeglasses to get wire rims-my dad thought I would turn into a pot-smoking hippie if I got them. Kids rebel when they feel they are not listened to or understood. I think this is a case of Dad wanting something son doesn't want, but Dad cannot see the forest for the trees.

This is my POV-Remember, "normal" kids do things like this all the time! The article does not focus on his ADD at all. Just says he did not have his medication with him.

dormammau2008
03-25-07, 08:01 PM
I AGES RADDMOM HUGS

DORM

~boots~
03-25-07, 11:47 PM
I read to the bit where he was found..for most people, I guess that's about where they'd stop reading anyway ;-)

Imnapl
03-26-07, 12:06 AM
I was taught that newspapers use the pyramid style for a news article: all the important facts are put in the first paragraph so the editor can cut the piece to fit, if need be.

TygerSan
03-26-07, 12:17 PM
It wasn't so much the article that was bad. . . did anyone else scan the reader responses to it? That's where there's a definite "this is a spoiled brat of a kid" attitude comes to the forefront. Ticks me off the assumptions people make based on one news report!

Imnapl
03-26-07, 07:10 PM
I'll bet they also believe in spanking. :D

addusin
03-30-07, 11:18 AM
It wasn't so much the article that was bad. . . did anyone else scan the reader responses to it?

Rant ON
"Reader's Respones" are the reasons why it is so difficult for parents to get their children diagnosed in the first place. The Social Stigma of having a cognitive disorder that manifests itself with "bad behavior" is unbearable. Their kids may have Attention Deficit Disorder, but society has Attitude Adjustment Disorder!
Rant OFF

dommi132
04-27-07, 10:43 PM
I read the whole story, and in my humble opinion thought that the writer put in too much fluff, going in and out of the timeline. But then again I don't read that many news stories. I just want the short version and get to the point or follow a type of story rather than going back and forth in time, but that is just me.

I do think that they were a little harsh on the boy, but it could have been worse as they could have, figuritively, tied him to horses and let the horses go.

About the medication, as said earlier, it was put at the end and didn't really focus on it. I think that that is a good thing, because ADD is very misunderstood and the mear mention of it could bring humiliaiton for the boy. In this case though the focus was on the boy being lost and found.