View Full Version : advise with bipolar & ADD drugs

wizz95
03-23-07, 03:32 PM
Hi all, im glad to join and share this wonderful forums, I am 39 yrs old. And I believe that I and all of you’s got a wonderful gift referred to as ADD, I am unique in ways I feel excited thinking about. I was diagnosed bipolar 4 years ago. I’m now and for the last 1.5 years stabilized on 150 of lamictal & 1000 Sodium Valproate, in parallel I am ADD and did not get any treatment for it, i am a student now and struggling with lots of study difficulties, went to get treatment and my psychiatrist put me on Ritalin (Methylphenidate), at first it did not effect but than she started experimenting and changed types and doses to Ritalin SR and Concerta, but in all of them I felt a sever anxiety, some not long after taking them and some at the point they start they’re descent. I have not had anxiety in years and that hurts, the thing is that under the Ritalin SR I felt concentrated and at ease and was able to study and at that specific exam got top score (100 of 100). we do not have doctors who specialize in ADD.
my truth is that I want the right combo of the two (bipolar + add drugs) so I can study, be in focus in all I do and maybe even have fun :)
I would be glad if can you share your thoughts with me.
thanx

justhope
03-23-07, 04:54 PM
Welcome Wizz...

Well I am BPDII as well. I have tried many combo's of ADD meds, and the best one for my ADD was Adderall XR. However after getting BPDII diagnoses the higher doses (40mg) caused me to go into hypomania....so I had to stop it and wait until I leveled out on the Lamictal. then I went back on and dropped my dosage to 20mg. I still struggle sometimes with concentration etc, because even a good mix of meds doesn't cure it all, sometimes you just have to learn your liimits, and self discipline.

Again, welcome and we are glad you found us, if you want go over to the New memeber intro's and give the others a intro!

Take care!

jkron
03-30-07, 07:33 AM
Hey everyone, i know this is slightly off topic but I was hoping you guys could give me some advice. Quick background, I was diagnosed with depression 4 years ago and have been taking Effexor. About 4 months ago I was diagnosed with ADD and have been taking Adderal. To make a long story short, i'm still becoming depressed and like the feeling Adderal gives me so I "want" to adjust my mood by taking more. I know that is an addictive behavior and i've already schedule an appointment with my Dr. Ok, my real question is this. How do you know you are Bi-Polar? I'm starting to think i'm Bi-Polar instead of just depressed. I think i'm on the wrong meds, but i'm not sure what to do or think. Most of my problems lie in depression but when things are good I feel awesome, smart, social, everything is fun, etc... I'm wondering if this is really just a minor Manic episode. I know i'm just rambling but i'm very confused at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciate, feel free to respond via post or private message.

Crazy~Feet
03-30-07, 08:12 AM
when things are good I feel awesome, smart, social, everything is fun, etc... I'm wondering if this is really just a minor Manic episodeThis is, essentially, a great deal of the definition of hypomania. There is a very strong one-way comorbity between bipolar and ADHD. Many people with resistant depression are actually bipolar. There are several forms of bipolar disorder.

From HERE (http://www.helpguide.org/mental/bipolar_disorder_symptoms_treatment.htm#Bipolar_di sorder_children_adolescent):

What are the types of bipolar disorder?

Bipolar disorder can take several forms, depending upon the severity, frequency, and duration of the manic and depressive episodes. Everyone diagnosed with bipolar disorder has had at least one of the following in their lifetime:

Manic episode – See above (http://www.helpguide.org/mental/bipolar_disorder_symptoms_treatment.htm#manicepiso de) for detail.
Hypomanic episode – Not as severe as mania. Usually does not affect work or relationships. Not associated with hospitalization.
Mixed episode – Manic activation, with a depressed mood.

Notice that a depressive episode is not necessary for a diagnosis of bipolar disorder. About ten per cent of those with bipolar disorder have never had depressive episodes.

The types of bipolar disorder are defined by the above episodes:

Bipolar Disorder Type I – The most severe type of bipolar disorder, and the classic type. At least one manic or mixed episode that lasts at least a week.
Bipolar Disorder Type II – At least one hypomanic episode and one major depressive episode, in a lifetime. Never a manic episode.
Cyclothymic Disorder – Within two years (one year for children and adolescents), numerous periods with hypomanic symptoms, and other periods with mild depressive symptoms. No major depression, and no mania. No symptom-free period of longer than two months.
It may be helpful to think of BP as occuring along a spectrum, from very mild to very severe, with many variations in between.
In my experience, hypomania presents as an elated mood or a very irritable one. I get by on much less sleep, if I even sleep at all. I am inclined to be impulsive in speech and action, despite my ADHD medications.

Even though I take medication for BPII, I am fully aware that I can still be triggered into a hypomanic episode by extreme stress or by other triggers...for more info on that please see "A Bipolar's Rant" in the BP section of the boards.

HTH!

jkron
03-31-07, 11:48 AM
I appreciate the advice and definitions. I've been doing a lot of reading and I think it might be hypomania. If that is the case does that mean the Adderal and Effexor are a bad combination of medications for me?

justhope
03-31-07, 11:55 AM
Do you mean, you feel hypomanic right now? Because hypomania is not a "disorder" for lack of a better word, it's a symptom of?

And if you are not balanced out on mood stablizers of some sort...yes stimulants can be a not so good thing..being that they can cause the hypomania or make is worse....

In my case, I had to come off mine for a month or so...once I stablized out on my Lamictal, I started them back, but my dosage is now cut in half, from 40mg to 20mg.
If I feel a little on the hypomanic side due to abnormally high amounts of stress etc, I don't take them at all.

***This is all under the advice of my doctor****

You need to please go to the doctor and get a formal diagnoses. BPD can mimic other things just like ADD...you need to know exactly what you have, if BPD what spectrum you are in..before your doctor can determine what to put you on.

:)