View Full Version : Possible To Do Well In School w/o Meds?

optimum00
03-25-07, 11:17 PM
The following is for inattentive type ADD only.

Most of the information on the internet saying that inattention type ADD individuals struggle in school and do poorly. I haven't found anything ever saying that someone can have ADD and excel in school. I even read the diagnostic material and it doesn't say specifically about school performance.

The question is then: Is it possible to be an amazing student, I'm talking straight A's, having inattentive ADD, and not taking medication for it?

ADDA
03-25-07, 11:30 PM
Well I get all As and Bs... Of course I have to get at least a B at my school to pass :P

I remember reading someone else who did very well in school, but I can't remember if they were on meds or not :(

Fraz_2006
03-26-07, 03:43 AM
where I am from its done in 3 levels.

Foundation
General
Credit

foundation being lowest and credit being top.

I got 5 foundation passes, and one credit one in mathematics.

I have never taken any meds.

kilted_scotsman
03-26-07, 05:14 AM
In UK....a while ago :-) .... I got 8 A's and a B at O level then 1 A and 4 B's at Higher, which was enough to get to Uni.....except I was too young (at 16) so I took a year off and worked and travelled. My parents saw I'd got the grades to make Uni and I was causing all sorts of grief at school and they were smart enough to find me a job and push me out into the world .

Had hellish trouble with subjects I didn't like.....eg French. Luckily my parents were able to afford additional tuition by native French speakers and I was sent on exchanges to France. The extra tutors I had quickly learned the best way to get me interested was to work in French with subjects I focussed on....which at that time was History...so we did lots of French 20th century history!

As an aside...the school French teacher complained about my B grade and tried to get it downgraded but luckily one question in the exam had been on France in the Second World War......SORTED...!

A foreign language at O level was, at that time compulsory for entry to a Scottish University, as was O level maths and English....all subjects I loathed.

meadd823
03-26-07, 05:32 AM
I did fairly well in high school before I was on medication I did struggle in some subjects and have sevaral dips in grades some times.

FuturePast
03-26-07, 06:39 AM
I managed straight A's for quite a few years, until my bad work habits and negative self-image caught up with me.

Meds would probably have made it all a hell of a lot easier/enjoyable.

Sargon
03-26-07, 03:01 PM
I made it through high school and college easily and with good grades. But! I was an English major and could no more have passed an engineering class than have flown around the world by flapping my arms.

Scattered
03-26-07, 05:03 PM

Most of the information on the internet saying that inattention type ADD individuals struggle in school and do poorly. I haven't found anything ever saying that someone can have ADD and excel in school. I even read the diagnostic material and it doesn't say specifically about school performance.

The question is then: Is it possible to be an amazing student, I'm talking straight A's, having inattentive ADD, and not taking medication for it?Yep-- it's possible. Believe me I quizzed my therapist throughly about this one. If you're smart enough, interested in the subject, and have the ability to hyperfocus on things that rock your boat -- you might do very well even with untreated ADD. I had more trouble in elementary school, because you have to take everything and math and spelling were tough for me. By high school and beyond, I was an honor student. I actually got 4.0's in two master's programs without meds ( managed to avoid math and statistics classes). I also exercised a lot!!! I was just reading an article that talked about how many ADDers who have been successful in academia (doctor's, professors, etc) exercise 3 or 4 times a day. Ratey (Driven to Distraction, A User's Guide to the Brain) states that aerobic exercise is like taking a dose of Adderall and Prozac holistically.

Shadow Syndroms by John Ratey and Attention Deficit Disorder: The Unfocused Mind in Children and Adults do a good job of explaining how smart folks can still have ADD, but how it cause trouble in other domains of their life that aren't as stimulating.

Scattered

Claudia_0102
03-27-07, 01:00 PM
I've been on meds for a while. Dexedrine 10 mg sustained release. I went to school one day without taking meds and i'll tell you i felt crrrrrazzzyyyy. One hour class seemed to last 4 hours. My grades have improved alot since i've started taking meds. I'm in the 70's and 80's now. :D But i think if you really applied yourself in school without meds you could probably do it. Its not impossible.

JustMe81
03-27-07, 03:33 PM
The question is then: Is it possible to be an amazing student, I'm talking straight A's, having inattentive ADD, and not taking medication for it?
Hi! I'm ADD-PI and for me personally it is not possible to do well without meds. I'm a strait F student without meds and near a 4.0 with them. That's just my personal experience. It looks like there are many in this thread that can do it. Don't feel bad if you need meds, however. We're all different. :)

Paws13
04-03-07, 01:05 PM

Recently, I went to Arizona to see my older cousins. One of them had a friend who I got to talk with. I find out, she has ADD. She wasn't diagnosed until about a year ago, and before that she did excellent in school. ADD wasn't a very popular belief when she was in high school and college; she thought that she just had to try harder. She did, and she's living an excellent life, especially that she knows she has ADD.

livinginchaos
04-03-07, 08:39 PM
honestly, I had a heck of a time in school. I tried so many different ways of studying, I tried tutors, various behavior techniques . . . nothing helped until I was diagnosed (with inattentive ADHD) and put on Adderall.
Once I was on meds I was able to sit still long enough (& not daydream) to read and retain what I read.

For me, meds have been the only thing that has helped me get through school. I made the Dean's list every semester from hard work and the aid of Adderall.

Some people are lucky to be successful in school without meds and other's, like me, need the meds.