View Full Version : Best times to clean & Distractions?

justhope
03-27-07, 08:45 PM
Do you all find that if you get home from work..and immediately start doing chores...it's easier? Than taking that needed break, like getting a drink changing into "comfy" home clothes...., and then trying to do it?

Are you able to get chores done during the week after work? Or do you wait until the weekends to do it all?

Now I live with 3 boys...15, 10, 8..all ADDer's. My youngest is the only one who likes to clean. And their dad is ADD too!
I get so aggravated trying to get them to stay focused...esp my middle one who won't stay on task..and drives my younger one crazy! And my DH who, when he finally wants to clean...does everything! Under the couches, moves everything...I mean liek when he was in the military..OMG can't we just get it done already! I don't need the baseboards scrubbed. Half way through his GI party I am done!!!!!

Do you ever think, man if they would just leave I could get this all done? (then I never do..cause I am enjoying me time, like coming here or reading..LOL)

And are you able to clean when others are there and not cleaning?? I feel the need to be alone, period, except with my youngest? . I can't clean wiht other people, it drives me nutso!

meadd823
03-28-07, 01:27 AM
Do you all find that if you get home from work..and immediately start doing chores...it's easier? Than taking that needed break, like getting a drink changing into "comfy" home clothes...., and then trying to do it?

This must run in families, because I do better if I get right in the house work minutes after I walk through the door from work. If I change clothes, of even take my shoes off it is like I "switch from drive to neutral".

I always do more when Gary's isn't here. I don't know why he never complains;however he does kind of have a talent about being right where I intend to head next. It is like he has some sort of physic ability knowing what I plan to do next. Maybe is a psycho ability because he knows where to go to get in the way but doesn't know I want the area cleaned even if I am standing there with a broom and mop in my hand.

I think it is just the distraction of having some one else there or at least some ones presence to blame it on. I still haven't paid the cell phone bill but I have changed my signature.

justhope
03-29-07, 02:23 PM
Well at least I know I am not the only "family" weirdo...LOL

I know you would call and talk to me or mom...or whoever versus doing the dishes..LOL

I am glad to know that it's no only me who feels the need to have an empty house...to either us as an excuse to clean...or clean!

It makes sense both ways....no one in the house..because I have the same issue..everywhere I go they are...and if I clean they will go right there after ...like the cats when you clean the box ...they feel the need to immediatly go mess it up....and on the other side it's also easier not to get distracted by all of them and get aggratved wanting them to do something to or battle to get them to do it..then it takes 5 times longer to get it done while you are fighting them to get going..or telling them how to!!!!

I really think it also might be an excuse..by saying I can't clean unless they are all gone..cause then I rarely have to clean cause they are NEVER all gone at the same time...
I need a maid! :eyebrow:

Scattered
03-29-07, 04:58 PM
The best time for me to clean is definately when nobody else is in the house -- I'm just way too distractible otherwise.

Scattered

gstien
03-31-07, 08:38 PM
I'm kinda like you Scattered.
Only I do it when my wife isn't home, because it's an endless cycle.
My wife keeps dirtying things up, while I'm cleaning.
It's like a dern video game, honestly! LOL
Usually I clean while she's asleep (in the wee hours of the morning), then I can vacuum once she gets up.
Works most of the time...

auntchris
04-01-07, 08:56 PM
teh best time for me to clean is when I didnt just get a manicure.... hehehe

I think the best time is when it is cloudy it seems the dust settles , compared to when the sun is shine right in my apt windows.

I live off a busy street and in Lakewood we have an enourmous amount of construction going on.

gstein, get the swivel sweepers they avertise one tv. They are great and are only about twenty dollars. You get 2 of them
At christmas time , my sister gave me one they came in the mail and having a dog and vaccumming at night is great. The sound is so minimal. You will love it. It works off a battery and it is included .

justhope
04-01-07, 09:28 PM
Hey Chris....I cleaned my porch off today! Yipee...all the winter stuff off...Shovels..bags of salt..and all the stuff packed behind it since umm December?? LOL...

Hey you are telling streets now...I think I know where you are...I am pm'd you with my guesses...

LOL

auntchris
04-01-07, 09:30 PM
I didnt get it yet Hope .

auntchris
04-01-07, 09:33 PM
Hey that is great Hope. I know what it feels like to get the winter mess cleaned.

Granted I live in an apt... but I did spring cleaning ... even the curtains on spring break... I still need to do teh little things but the majority is done... Great Job Hope...

Gee, I wonder if I have seen you on the streets.

Imnapl
04-01-07, 09:35 PM
There is no best time to clean. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

justhope
04-01-07, 09:36 PM
INCOMING....you should have it...

Weird isn't it...

but it is soooo nice to clean that mess up...

I have to confess....i just took down my (ssssh ) CHRISTMAS LIGHTS..:faint:

today too!!! LOL...scary

I cleaned well cause the boys were gone..and like eclipses....me and DH actually wanted to clean something at the same time....:eek:

So the house is still a wreck..but oh the yard and porch look ever so nice..just sitting out there swingin my porch swing....aaaahhhh

auntchris
04-01-07, 09:40 PM
must feel good.. to sit outside and swing.

Oh the days at home , I loved are porch swing.

Imnapl
04-01-07, 09:41 PM
I can't find one of my favourite quotes from Erma Bombeck. The jist of it is that a friend understands that you won't clean house until the kids move out and then she helps you do it.

VisualImagery
04-01-07, 09:46 PM
When I am mad I get a lot of stuff done! But stay outta my way!

justhope
04-01-07, 09:49 PM
Hey that sounds good.

I thought it was just me? I have found new and creative ways to use laundry baskets..and hammermill boxes from work with the lids on them...

I just tell them the maid is off on vacation....

I need to keep it messy that way it will take them longer to find the bodies...so I can get out of town.... :faint:

VisualImagery
04-01-07, 09:51 PM
I am creating a laundry center. Don't fall down laughing-it will help me not have wrinkly clothes to iron and at least the clean stuff will stay clean!

VisualImagery
04-01-07, 09:53 PM
I have an old deep freeze that is good for hiding bodies. Have yet to use it though, DH stores stuff in there.