View Full Version : question

dskba
04-03-07, 11:36 AM
my 12yr old daughter started on adderal saturday and hasn't noticed much difference. I wanted to ask you all if you notice a big difference right away or not. Thank You.

Paws13
04-03-07, 01:00 PM
Well, Adderal doesn't work for everyone, as I learned the hard way. Aside from pretty extreme side effects, it did nothing to help me out. But I know plenty of people on the forums who have had a lot more luck than me the first try.

livinginchaos
04-03-07, 07:42 PM
It seems like it's a question someone taking Adderall could answer, but it is difficult, because one dosage might work great for one person and be too high/low for another. It's possible to see changes immediately, but if the dose is low, then the changes could easily be minimal.

The med works within 30 minutes of taking it. You, your child and the doc will have to work on tweaking the dose to see what suits your child best.

Paws is right - every med is different for everyone. It just so happens that Adderall works wonderfully well for me :D

Crazy~Feet
04-03-07, 08:52 PM
Just to show the flip side of Miss Chaos, I am one of those who did perfectly awful on Adderall. And oddly I seem to do fine on Dexadrine, which is a component of Adderall to begin with. I also did quite well ADHD-wise on methylphenidates, but that was inducing hypomania and anxiety in me after several months of use.

Also, the doctor is probably titrating her doses upwards slowly to see at which point they (may) help her. This is SOP.

DianeS
04-04-07, 11:32 AM
I agree with the others - when she gets on the right medicine (for her), at the right dose (for her), then you'll see a difference - even if it is small - rather quickly, usually within half an hour. If you're not seeing a difference it could mean it's not the right medicine or it's not the right dose.

On the other hand, it's important to realize that while the right medications at the right dose give people with ADHD the *ability* to focus and do the things they need to do, it doesn't mean that focusing and doing things will happen automatically. There are a lot of habits that can interfere with focusing and with doing the things that need done. There may be some habits that are interfering with her doing things that you expect to see, and those habits will have to be broken and new habits taught.

Let's use school for an example. In the past a child with ADHD may have not been able to listen to the teacher give instructions about the homework, not realized the sheet of paper she was handed was supposed to be taken home, and the child may have just stuffed it in their backpack and forgotten about it. When the child reaches home, they may be unable to remember that there were instructions and homework, and may drop their backpack at the door and go play video games. Even when placed on the correct medication at the correct dose, some of what causes the child's problem with homework can be helped, but some will take more work.
For instance, the child may be able to sit and listen to the teacher, but since the child never has before, the child may not realize it's important to listen and may ignore the teacher anyway. When handed a sheet of paper, they may realize now that they are expected to complete it, but since they never have done so before they may not have a real idea of how to accomplish that, so the child just sticks it in their backpack. When the child gets home, the child may go right back to the habit of dropping their backpack at the door and playing video games. It may take some good prompting from the teacher to teach the child that listening is important. It may take some good questioning from the parent to prompt the child's memory of the instructions and homework, and it may take some work from the parent to show the child when and how to accomplish the homework, and it may take some persuasivenes from the parent to get the child to abandon the video games in favor of the homework.

See what I mean? So when you are looking for changes in your daughter as you work to find the right medicine and dose, be sure you are looking at her ability rather than her actual deeds. She's missed a lot of instruction in how to act before, so you may have to start again to teach her - only once she's on the right med and dose, this time she'll actually be able to learn it.

Hang in there!

FrazzleDazzle
04-04-07, 02:30 PM
My son was also 12 when he started on Adderall for a while It kicked in within 20 minutes of his first dose, and it was like night and day. We say it was beautiful. It was great at home and at school. We knew right away, maybe we were lucky, and didn't have to titrate or try other meds.