View Full Version : Meth Special on National Geographic

Bugs-n-Bunnys
04-04-07, 12:42 AM
Currently on the National Geographic Channel is a special on Methampethamine. Watching how this drug effects others is a trip.

I wish they would compare doses, they showed this guy all wigged out and he said he took .25 ounces the day before. I take 80 mgs a day. What is the comparison?

I just went to a conversion web site and .25 ounces is equal to 7087.38 mgs.

WOW - that is almost 100 times the amount I take over the course of 1 day.

lars
04-04-07, 12:49 AM
I just went to a conversion web site and .25 ounces is equal to 7087.38 mgs.

WOW - that is almost 100 times the amount I take over the course of 1 day.
That's amazing. Thanks for posting that.

D.B. Cooper
04-04-07, 02:10 AM
You cannot take 25 ounces of even the cheapest street methamphetamine and live, thats way beyond the theoretical LD50. I've seen a cousin (who is now in prison because of meth related crimes) IV half a gram of crystal meth and he was awake 3 days later. Meth is generally sold in quarter gram baggies and thats enough to keep a person without a huge tolerance awake for a day or two depending on the drugs purity.

I've been told the purity of street meth is either extremely poor or very potent. Theres not much in-between.

Having grown up in a less than stellar environment with a mother who used meth i can say i've seen what it does to people and the violence, psychosis and dangerous situations it creates.

This was actually the first clue i had AD/HD, i was given a small but decent amount of methamphetamine and didnt understand what the big deal was about it...i wasnt coming unhinged and talking a mile a minute incoherently, i felt sort of calm and wanted to read. This of course confused people and i was the subject of their drug addled discussion for hours.

Im definetly not endorsing the use of street meth with this post and am simply being informative.

D.B. Cooper
04-04-07, 02:50 AM
Oh wait, POINT25 ounces...ok thats belivable. Thats 7 grams...an incredible amount by any junkies standards but possible to live through if you dont go completely psychotic.

Frangible
04-04-07, 12:56 PM
The main risk is in cardiovascular side effects; tolerance via downregulation of beta adrenoceptors builds quickly, so people can work themselves up to massive doses pretty easily over time. The actual fatality rate for methamphetamine is pretty low. (it just tends to ruin people's lives in other ways when abused)

I just wish alpha adrenoceptors built tolerance in a similar fashion, the cold hands from even a low dose of Adderall/Dexedrine drives me nuts :(

QueensU_girl
04-05-07, 12:20 AM
re: #1

"The poison is in the dose"
~ Paracelsus

Bugs-n-Bunnys
04-05-07, 01:39 AM
yea - 0.25 ounces - he was really wiggin and said he took it the day before. He eyes were all glossed over and moving really fast from side to side.

All the people they interviewed talked about how they were consumed with the urge and desire to get more that was all they did was find more meth.

I've been having back problems and finally broke down to take some pain pills the Dr. prescriped, so I'm taking a break from my Desoxyn, and it is not bothering me in the least little bit. I don't like mixing too many prescriptions, the Dr. asks what else I'm taking, but sometimes I wonder if they remember or pay attention. For example he knows I drink daily - I do not get drunk, I just like to have a drink or two, but he prescriped me something that was absolutely not for people with a history or drinking - I had to call him up and get something else.

Bugs-n-Bunnys
04-05-07, 01:43 AM
I forgot to mention -

ANYBODY - ADHD OR NOT - WOULD BE PRETTY SCREWED UP ON 7100mgs of Desoxyn taken all at one time.

That would be 1420 pills - almost my entire 3 month supply - I get 1440 pills every 3 months.

ADHD or not - I beleive you'd pretty f*@!@d-up as well.

D.B. Cooper
04-05-07, 03:00 AM
All the people they interviewed talked about how they were consumed with the urge and desire to get more that was all they did was find more meth.
Amphetamines arent even great drugs to abuse compared to say.... opiates which are very selective about what part of the brain they release dopamine in. (dont take opiates kids they'll ruin your life) It must cause horrible side effects taking grams at a time.

They've just fried their brains so bad all they do is obsess over meth. Which isnt suprising since stimulants are known for creating stereotyped obsessive behaviour.

JR1973
04-05-07, 04:41 PM
Anyone see that video about the addict that had his family video his downward spiral into death? Freaky what that drug (and any other one) can do to a person.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/27/meth.death.ap/index.html

J

Bugs-n-Bunnys
04-06-07, 12:55 AM
WOW- Thanks, very interesting.

qinkin
04-13-07, 11:27 PM
thinking 'bout swtiching from Adderall to Desoxyn

Desoxy is Oxytocin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxytocin), right? it appears that it's more affective (methampthetamine hydrochloride) in treating ADHD than Adderall.

cardiac blurb on Oxytocin
However, the absence of either oxytocin or its receptor in knockout mice (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knockout_mouse) has not been reported to produce cardiac insufficiencies.
another good blurb
Oxytocin may play a role in encouraging "tend and befriend"
but check out oxytocin

anyway, gotta' run

qinkin
04-13-07, 11:30 PM
the active salt of Desoxyn is dextro-methamphetamine hydrochloride. This is the right-hand isomer of methamphetamine bonded to hydrochloride. The left-handed isomer of methamphetamine, levo-methamphetamine, is less centrally acting and more peripherally acting; therefore a racemic mixture of dextro/levo-methamphetamine salts isn't in production.what does this mean, really? And what is Chirality?, Doesn't make sense.

lars
04-13-07, 11:36 PM
Desoxy is Oxytocin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxytocin), right? No. Oxytocin is a hormone produced by the body. Desoxyn is a drug.

They are very different in how they work, and in what part of the body they effect.

gh342000
05-24-07, 03:00 AM
thinking 'bout swtiching from Adderall to Desoxyn

Desoxy is Oxytocin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxytocin), right? it appears that it's more affective (methampthetamine hydrochloride) in treating ADHD than Adderall.

cardiac blurb on Oxytocin

another good blurb

but check out oxytocin

anyway, gotta' run
Oxytocin is nothing like Desoxyn. Oxytocin is sometimes called go-go juice, but this is in reference to starting/increasing contractions for women in labor.

meadd823
05-24-07, 03:11 AM
Desoxy is Oxytocin

No they just kind of sound alike. . . . .

qinkin
05-25-07, 03:49 PM
dosestru-'dat

oxytocin sounds like a better treatment

dosesw/in reason is good

"reduces flight or fight" response,

and most likely that dizzy, pressure feeling,
association w/ADHD

this (oxytocin) has many adverse reactions of that of adderall and desoxyn

qinkin
05-25-07, 04:05 PM
Oxytocin has a half-life of typically about three minutesaww shucks

qinkin
05-26-07, 02:59 PM
ok, one pyschiatrist and parents are believing in this addicition thing

this is bull. . .

just displaying some unusual (not harmful) habits and boom . . this sukcs. these habits are not b/c of these meds!

ahh

venting is over

flutter-by
07-02-07, 07:32 PM
Found some info about reasearch on using oxytocin as short term therapy for social anxiety. Trying to find if there's a clinical trial or anything, bBut haven't seen anything recent about it.
What do you think?

lars
07-02-07, 08:23 PM
Where did you find the info about research using oxytocin for social anxiety therapy?

I would love to read about it.

QueensU_girl
07-02-07, 08:28 PM
I have a friend who can take 50-100x the morphine that I can.

Yup. Practice makes perfect.

Those doses also make people go CRAZY -- wearing ON and/or wearing OFF. (ReallY: imagine what that does to your emotional brain.

Addicts are using and become "Numb"; then their Drug wears off and they are "Fully overly emotionally experiencing". I guess it's Not so incredible to learn that a large # of addicts kill themselves, etc. directly or indirectly.

------
re: Desoxyn = Oxytocin?

What the heck? LOL

Desoxyn =/= Oxytocin, nor Oxycontin.

Desoxyn is a type of Speed. Oxytocin is a bodily hormone; Oxycontin is a type of Narcotic.

*walks away shaking head*

QueensU_girl
07-02-07, 08:30 PM
Oxytocin is the same as Pitocin.

If you have ever talked to a woman who had a Pitocin IV, it causes incredible uterine muscle cramping. (e.g. LABOR AND DELIVERY)

Nothing warm and fuzzy about that stuff...

PeterMac
07-24-07, 11:02 AM
re: #1

"The poison is in the dose"
~ ParacelsusSadly, many people seem oblivious to that fact, and can't mentally seperate somebody using a theraputic prescribed dose from someone else using massive recreational doses of the same substance, if that substance has been demonised in the media.

Has anyone here found that people are shocked to hear that you're on methamphetamine? I imagine Joe Public's perception of methaphetamine use is limited to malnourished homeless junkies with blackened teeth.

My uncle tried to dissuade me from taking amphetamine if my psychiatrist offered it, saying that it would rot my brain and give me permanent depression, since his only experience of it as a GP was in treating amphetamine addicts who'd been taking massive doses for long periods, and he had no conception of it as a theraputic agent.

qinkin
07-24-07, 11:36 AM
My uncle tried to dissuade me from taking amphetamine Oh ya, a few family members (like mom and dad) do that to me too. Kinda' sucks, but being on Risperdal helps a bit right now. So we shall see in a couple months if I can get back on Desoxyn or Adderall. As long as I be good.

I think that people use drugs as a scapegoat, for their current depression. Remember folks: Only nothing is permenant. ;)

Funny, how that works, eh?

ozchris
08-09-07, 04:12 AM
haha

be a good boy or no more methamphetamine

ikgbixcal
10-29-08, 03:38 PM
Desoxyn is diff from street meth