View Full Version : Does trauma make bipolar worse?

Draga
01-07-04, 08:47 PM
I know bipolar and adhd is both a chemical embalance and we are born with it, but if a person has endured trauma in their lives and everday is stress does it intensify the sysmptoms?

Wheel1975
01-07-04, 09:29 PM
TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) generate the same observable behaviors as ADHD, LD, and many more.

Draga
01-07-04, 09:35 PM
So would that be a new disorder for me or just PTSD?

Lafnalot
01-07-04, 09:53 PM
Depends on what you mean by worse, dual disorders make or exacerbate the other often, trauma triggers bp cycling etc

Draga
01-08-04, 08:23 AM
I mean does trauma and stress intensify mood swings, crying fits, violent acts towards self or others, impusiveness. Sorry for not being clearer. Loves ya Puddin.

Wheel1975
01-08-04, 12:22 PM
I think it depends completely on the trauma and the personality that remains of the person involved.

i don't think there is one right answer.

sometimes? Certainly!

mom03
01-08-04, 04:09 PM
The stress of college tossed me into a serious Bipolar fit - that was my firt one. I chilled out and started living my life again.. but didn't stop milder hypomania cycles.. when other stressful events come along it worsens..

on the other hand can also make it harder to concentrate.. it's like to evils fighting against eachother. It just take me that much long to reach the goal I'm obsessing over.

Draga
01-08-04, 08:21 PM
stress in my life and the impusivness of the bipolar has destroyed my life when I was so stressed out I just up and ran away with telling my job or my family but was brought back three days later, when I got back I lost everything....I have yet to bounce back or never fully made it up to my mother for hurting her. My mind is still far gone after that break down.

mom03
01-08-04, 08:44 PM
That totally helps me be more open and understanding to why others to what they do or are where they are in their lives..

Draga
01-08-04, 09:02 PM
:) I am glad that helps you. I always try to be more understanding of how people feel and the way they act...sometimes it harmful to me making excuses for abusive schizo nightmare boyfriend and allowing myself to be a door matt to people who have anger issues.

NWLinda
01-22-04, 02:31 AM
Melanie - One of the hallmarks of a biochemical imbalance known as "pyroluria" is that stress makes it worse. Double-blind studies have proven this. Read about pyroluria on the net such as drkaslow.com alternativementalhealth.com and doctoryourself.com Those are 3 good places to start. Then call a lab such as LabCorp and ask if they can do a pyroluria test. All it takes is a urine sample that is over-night airmailed to another lab, usually the one in Wichita, Kansas called the "Bio-Center Lab." Doctors have absolutely no proof that their diagnosis of you is correct. Some will call it ADHD, others call it bipolar. But pyroluria CAN be proven with a urine test.

Draga
01-22-04, 02:56 AM
Thanks Linda:)

mom03
01-22-04, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by NWLinda
Melanie - One of the hallmarks of a biochemical imbalance known as "pyroluria" is that stress makes it worse. Double-blind studies have proven this. Read about pyroluria on the net such as drkaslow.com alternativementalhealth.com and doctoryourself.com Those are 3 good places to start. Then call a lab such as LabCorp and ask if they can do a pyroluria test. All it takes is a urine sample that is over-night airmailed to another lab, usually the one in Wichita, Kansas called the "Bio-Center Lab." Doctors have absolutely no proof that their diagnosis of you is correct. Some will call it ADHD, others call it bipolar. But pyroluria CAN be proven with a urine test.

Linda,

You are a life saver! from what I saw on drkaslow.com this is what totally thew my life into a whirlwind a few years ago, and now my husband is surfering from it. No one has be able to directly treat it. They just give you zoloft and send you home.. I ended up using non-drug therapy to become functional again. Hypnosis & meditation is a great at reducing stress. I may have been taking a multi-vit. which could of helped also.

Anyways.. thanks again.
Liz

Draga
01-22-04, 08:21 PM
Don't ya just love those doctors who just wanna be a dope dealer and not acutally discuss the problem...sheesh!

mom03
01-22-04, 08:35 PM
Mel,

What do you know about this pyroluria? Just today I've found numerous sites discussing it. Listen to this one women's story on ADHDNews

"Over four million children and millions more adults in this country have been diagnosed ADHD. The only problem is that not one MD or shrink can actually PROVE their diagnosis is correct. Has a doctor EVER given your child a urine or blood test to PROVE that it's ADHD? No, they haven't. It's all theory and opinion. Then they turn around and give your child a potentially lethal drug. Is that okay with you? Once my "light bulb" went on (FINALLY) I told my son's shrink & therapist that I was finished with them and their drugs. (It was the best thing I ever did and today, my son is doing very, very well.) I went to the library and researched ADHD myself and found some REAL answers. Here's one of them: Back in 1960, the American Psychiatry Asoc. (APA) was presented with the research on a disorder called "pyroluria" and how it causes ADHD and other mental disorders. But members of the APA were getting so much grant money from the drug manufacturers that they deliberately buried the research. Why? Because pyroluria PROVED that certain mental disorders are caused by a biochemical imbalance and therefore can only be cured with bio-chemicals, also known as vitamins and minerals. It is often referred to as mega-vitamin therapy. Pyroluria is easily detected with a urine test for about $72.00. The treatment is B-6, B-3, zinc and Vit. C You can read all about pyroluria in links to my other posts but, basically, it's a disorder caused by a defective adrenal gland. "

mom03
01-22-04, 08:37 PM
It's also associated with Bipolar

http://www.rehealth.com/pyroluria.htm

Draga
01-22-04, 08:44 PM
Never heard of it but thanks alot for info:D

Draga
01-22-04, 08:48 PM
I remember back in the phsyco hospital when I was 16 they did blood test and urine test on me and also evaluations and the famous ink-blot test...boy was that fun playing with the shrinks head...hehehe! It was there they diagnosed me with PTSD ADHD & Bipolar. Heh If I would not have tried sucide when I was a teen I might not have ever found out what was wrong with me....God works in mysterious ways.

mom03
01-22-04, 09:05 PM
Actually there are severl other web sites out there .. just look for them..

I got these links off of someone else's webpage.

www.diagnose-me.com <- good description and symptom list
www.nutritional-healing.com.au/pyroluria.htm
www.nutritional-healing.com.au/subtypes.htm
drkaslow.com
www.rehealth.com
www.alternativementalhealth.com
www.hriptc.org
www.wellbeingjournal.com
www.orthomed.org
www.acnem.org
www.parentsofallergicchildren.org/stephen's_story.htm
lpi.oregonstate.edu
www.dr-bob.org
www.nutrition4health.org
www.mentalhealthsolutions.org
www.healthrecovery.com
www.mrbean.net.au/~wlast/

Draga
01-22-04, 09:22 PM
thanks I will ave them to favorites list...isn't technology great :D

NWLinda
01-23-04, 05:20 PM
Hi - I'm the one who wrote that explanation of pyroluria at ADHDNews (I'm NWMom) and I'm SO glad you found it! I hope you follow through and get tested! Every word that I wrote is true and the truth will eventually find its way to every person in this country who suffers from a mental disorder. What the APA did was just plain wrong. I've written a book about pyroluria and four other biochemical causes of ADHD, bipolar, schizo, etc but I've only recently found a publisher so it will be a while before it's published. Then - watch out! I'm a mom on a mission to stop the suffering caused by biochemical imbalances resulting in mental and emotional disorders. Maybe my goal is too lofty but I can't sit back and just let people (and their families) suffer needlessly. So, to anyone reading this, get tested NOW before my book comes out because there are so few labs in this country that can do the test. (I only know of two.) Hopefully, my book will be read by hundreds (thousands?) of people and there will be a stampede to have the test done. One more thing, I bet LabCorp would include the pyroluria test in their own labs if enough people request it. For now, LabCorp just helps you collect the urine and then sends it to a specialty lab like the Bio-Center in Wichita, Kansas for the actual test. Dr. Abrahm Hoffer and Dr. Humphrey Osmond are the original discoverers of pyroluria and, in my opinion, should have been awarded the Nobel Prize for Medicine decades ago. The actress Margot Kidder has been very open with the fact that she followed Dr. Hoffer's mega-vitamin advice and has kept herself well ever since. Linda

mom03
01-23-04, 07:04 PM
My mental health defines me, it controls me and it has actually turned this shy, quiet, calm, laidback girl ~ young woman into a crazy outspoken ambious adult who has no fuel. Like a care running on air biazzar.. A lot of wounderful things have happened in my life, but then there is this.. it's been hidden, not delt with properly by my parents, doctors have screwed me over.. none of them really seam to care anyways.. thousands of dollards have been spent.. sometimes I don't even know how I can be a real person.. how can all this be happening.. My husband is also dealing with mental health issues too. I feel like we are in the twilight zone.

mental issues run heavy on both sides of my family.. Kevin's (husband) family just dosn't talk about that stuff.. I think I'm just mad at all of them for being so stupid about their lack of approach.

Draga
01-23-04, 09:45 PM
My disabilty defines me too....I am wild and outspoken and I can not keep still cause I am soo hyper. I have low self esteem thanks to PTSD and ADHD And Bipolar, I am never one to bite my tounge, i say what is on my mind be it offensive or just plain outrageous and sometimes(mostly) it makes people laugh their heads off and all most have an accident on themselves. I am actually kinda proud of that and I am also proud that I can all tell a person where to get off with no regrets for the things I say because some people need to just be told off to see the truth.

You are lucky to have had good things happen in your life where as I have had moostly bad happen to me..you are right some doctors don't care but I am lucky to have found someone who does.

Patricia
08-15-04, 07:28 PM
Draga My son a few years ago was under alot of stress in that he was doing what he loves- they were making a movie and he was the director of photography but they had a time limit on making it so they didn't sleep alot with so much to do and it was so exciting. He had his first manic episode and we had to go pick him up--about six hours away--the producer/director called us. They had to take him to the emergency room. We took him to a doctor right away and he was diagnosed with Bi-Polar and was given meds and he stays on them and is doing well. But none of his "friends" ever called him to check on him, of course they didn't understand at the time but we later explained it to them and Jason did too but they still won't have anything to do with him. People really don't understand this disorder. and to answer your question -- being under a lot of stress does seem start the symptoms. Stess does that to people with other disorders as well.

Patricia

Draga
08-15-04, 10:03 PM
I have noticed that too...My PTSD flashbacks and depression I am a human roller coaster and my mania get to the point where I dont sleep and my body feels fead to the world but my mind keeps going.....awake/sleep...actually that is when the answers to the questions I ponder in my head usually come to me in a flash..it's weird.

paulbf
08-15-04, 10:39 PM
How many people have pyroluria?
(percent of ADD population?)

Mel,
http://www.rehealth.com/pyroluria.htm
What do you know about this pyroluria? Just today I've found numerous sites discussing it. Listen to this one women's story on ADHDNews

"Over four million children and millions more adults in this country have been diagnosed ADHD. The only problem is that not one MD or shrink can actually PROVE their diagnosis is correct. Has a doctor EVER given your child a urine or blood test to PROVE that it's ADHD? No, they haven't. It's all theory and opinion. Then they turn around and give your child a potentially lethal drug. Is that okay with you? Once my "light bulb" went on (FINALLY) I told my son's shrink & therapist that I was finished with them and their drugs. (It was the best thing I ever did and today, my son is doing very, very well.) I went to the library and researched ADHD myself and found some REAL answers. Here's one of them: Back in 1960, the American Psychiatry Asoc. (APA) was presented with the research on a disorder called "pyroluria" and how it causes ADHD and other mental disorders. But members of the APA were getting so much grant money from the drug manufacturers that they deliberately buried the research. Why? Because pyroluria PROVED that certain mental disorders are caused by a biochemical imbalance and therefore can only be cured with bio-chemicals, also known as vitamins and minerals. It is often referred to as mega-vitamin therapy. Pyroluria is easily detected with a urine test for about $72.00. The treatment is B-6, B-3, zinc and Vit. C You can read all about pyroluria in links to my other posts but, basically, it's a disorder caused by a defective adrenal gland. "

Hi - I'm the one who wrote that explanation of pyroluria at ADHDNews (I'm NWMom) and I'm SO glad you found it! I hope you follow through and get tested! Every word that I wrote is true and the truth will eventually find its way to every person in this country who suffers from a mental disorder. What the APA did was just plain wrong. I've written a book about pyroluria and four other biochemical causes of ADHD, bipolar, schizo, etc but I've only recently found a publisher so it will be a while before it's published. Then - watch out! I'm a mom on a mission to stop the suffering caused by biochemical imbalances resulting in mental and emotional disorders. Maybe my goal is too lofty but I can't sit back and just let people (and their families) suffer needlessly. So, to anyone reading this, get tested NOW before my book comes out because there are so few labs in this country that can do the test. (I only know of two.) Hopefully, my book will be read by hundreds (thousands?) of people and there will be a stampede to have the test done. One more thing, I bet LabCorp would include the pyroluria test in their own labs if enough people request it. For now, LabCorp just helps you collect the urine and then sends it to a specialty lab like the Bio-Center in Wichita, Kansas for the actual test. Dr. Abrahm Hoffer and Dr. Humphrey Osmond are the original discoverers of pyroluria and, in my opinion, should have been awarded the Nobel Prize for Medicine decades ago. The actress Margot Kidder has been very open with the fact that she followed Dr. Hoffer's mega-vitamin advice and has kept herself well ever since. Linda

blueyemass1979
10-20-04, 10:49 PM
Have you actually had any benefit from this stuff? I mean, you personally, after taking the therapy of massive doses of B vitamins and zinc--not just better nutrition, which anyone can benefit from. Read below...of course, pyroluria would be a Godsend if it were true, but there's only so much false hope I can take.

by: Thomas E. Radecki, M.D., J.D. (http://www.modern-psychiatry.com/dr__radecki.htm)

"Pyroluria" Treated with High Doses of Zinc and B6: In the entire medical literature on PubMed, which covers the large majority of all scientific medical journals published anywhere in the world since the 1960s, there have only been two articles mentioning the word "pyroluria." One report in 1976 said that it was a poor marker for schizophrenia (Am J Psychiatry. 1978 Oct;135(10):1239-40). The other in 1986 was a purely speculative article saying some schizophrenics might have elevated cis-linoleic acid blood levels, elevated fasting insulin levels, elevated EGOT and urinary kryptopyrolle termed "delta-6-pyroluria" caused by a block of a mutant delta-6-desaturase. (Med Hypotheses. 1986 Apr;19(4):333-8). This article was the only article in the world literature to ever use the words "kryptopyrolle" or "delta-6-pyroluria," terms the authors apparently invented.

Despite this virtual total absence of any mention in the world's scientific literature, patients with autism, bipolar disorder, and schizophrenia are being told that blood tests have found that they have abnormally high levels of pyroluria and have to take huge doses of vitamin B-6 and zinc. Carl Pfeiffer, Ph.D., says that pyroluria is a disease with marked mood swings, temper outbursts, anxiety, and depression caused by an abnormal hemoglobin synthesis which depletes B-6 and zinc. He is part of the orthomolecular movement which started in the 1960s claiming that huge doses of vitamins could claim schizophrenia. The Canadian government actually funded several double-blind studies and was unable to find any benefits from the recommended treatments. Pfeiffer, whose doctorate is apparently in chemical engineering, appears to be the only advocate in the world for kryptopyrolle and pyroluria. He recommends high doses of zinc and B-6, e.g. 100 mg and 350 mg/day.
Pyridoxine or vitamin B-6 in excessive doses can cause a peripheral sensory neuropathy (Mol Neurobiol. 1992 Spring;6(1):41-73) and acne (Cutis. 1991 Aug;48(2):119-20). Adults using 100-150 mg/day have shown minimal or no toxicity in five- to 10-year studies. Women self-medicating for PMS taking 500 to 5000 mg/day have shown peripheral neuropathy within one to three years. A Kaiser Permanente neurologist, based on this information, concludes that pyridoxine appears safe at doses of 100 mg/day or less in adults (Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1990;585:250-60). However, an English physician with University College in London cautions that even more modest doses (50-100 mg/d) cannot be regarded as being without hazard (Eur J Clin Nutr. 1989 May;43(5):289-309). Since 2 mg/day is the standard 100% daily value, it is hard to imagine more than 50 mg/day being of value for anybody. Recent double-blind studies has found no benefit whatsoever to high dose pyridoxine in the treatment of schizophrenia or autism.

Source: http://www.modern-psychiatry.com/odd_&_unfounded.htm

tamarama
10-20-04, 11:37 PM
I know bipolar and adhd is both a chemical embalance and we are born with it, but if a person has endured trauma in their lives and everday is stress does it intensify the sysmptoms?
Definitely! Stress triggers all sorts of biochemical changes in our bodies, and for those of us who already struggle with an out-of-balance brain soup, it doesn't take much to trip it up. Stress produces cortisol, which in turn throws the serotonin / norepinephrine / dopamine balance out of whack...Hormonal changes of any kind can do it.

http://www.allaboutdepression.com/cau_02.html

I've had several periods of serious stress and traumatic events over the last few years, and they nearly pushed me to the edge of the abyss...

Draga
10-21-04, 01:28 AM
Neat Site,.....I always thinking about the time I just packed my bags and did not tell anyone I wws leaving and just left for 3 days cause of the extreme stress I was under causing an irrational impulsive responce that shows up lot in bipolar symptoms.

heartbrokenkid
06-05-06, 03:00 AM
I feel that bipolar disorder is worst than trauma coz itz directly linked to death.