View Full Version : Three times a day OK for a long day?

spunkysmum
04-08-07, 01:56 AM
I have been working long days the past week - getting up at 3:30 am and working until 3:30 or 5:30.pm. The second day of this I decided to try a "middle dose" in the late morning, with the third in the afternoon. Does anybody else do this? I held up surprisingly well the rest of the week.

node
04-08-07, 09:05 PM
i can take adderall xr 10mg up to 3 times a day

10mg 8am
10mg 12(noon)
10mg 4pm

lasts until 8pm

my script is 3x a day. sometimes i can get thru the day with only 2 which is even better, but ideally 3 is sometimes needed

matius
04-09-07, 11:02 PM
I am prescribed 10mg 2X daily. And while I do not recommend taking more than prescribed, on occassion I will take 3 10mg doses in one day. Overall, it would be best to speak with your doctor about the modification in your schedule.

drewbocop
04-10-07, 02:59 PM
Taking any dosage higher than what you are prescribed is illegal.

As mentioned, take it up with your doctor and see if he/she will let you try out some different regimens and find what works most efficiently for YOU, but only if your doctor gives the OK.

Also, mixing up your dosages, taking more on some days or less on others can affect your tolerance, sleep, etc. and may cause further problems down the road.

matius
04-12-07, 07:02 PM
and may cause further problems down the road.

Like what?

optimum00
04-12-07, 07:13 PM
It affects tolerance and sleep which eventually normalize.

matius
04-12-07, 10:38 PM
Taking any dosage higher than what you are prescribed is illegal.Err... really? That's kind of interesting. Does it say this with the lit that comes with your meds? I couldn't find anything about this with a quick search on Google.

It would seem trivial at best - highly unenforceable. Then, does the law distinguish between 5mg over... 10mg... surely somebody who takes 100mg more than prescribed should get into more trouble than a 5mg guy...

...has one person ever been arrested for taking more of their medicine than prescribed? It's sounding more ridiculous as I type :D

In all seriousness though I'm interested in reading something on that...

overmind1632
04-13-07, 12:26 AM
Three times a day is fine, I take 20 mg 3 times a day

node
04-13-07, 09:07 AM
Also, mixing up your dosages, taking more on some days or less on others can affect your tolerance, sleep, etc. and may cause further problems down the road.the max im allowed to take is 10mg three times a day.. Some days I only take 1 or 2

The less adderall you take (mg wise) per day, the less likely you are to get tolerant to adderall, which everyone who takes it will agree is a great thing.

The less you take adderall, the less effect it will have on sleep, I don't think anyone can argue this.

Now if someone takes more than prescribed, than they might get tolerant sooner, and might have more problems sleeping, depending on the person. Some people can take adderall and get to sleep no problem.

I think that if a person can take LESS adderall than their prescription, and get away with it, not feel anything negative from doing so, then they should do so.... Now if they are someone where they need to constantly take the prescribed dosage, then thats different.. i.e if everytime i took only 1 or 2 instead of 3.. or none at all.. i felt messed up or i felt something bad, then i wouldnt do it

but, ive been able to take anywhere from 0 to 2 a day without feeling anything negative or bad

so i do it. i dont see a problem with it. Hell, on april 12th i took no adderall period.. i was able to get thru the day without it. My add isn't insanely severe. It's mild

meadd823
04-14-07, 06:27 PM
I have been working long days the past week - getting up at 3:30 am and working until 3:30 or 5:30.pm. The second day of this I decided to try a "middle dose" in the late morning, with the third in the afternoon. Does anybody else do this? I held up surprisingly well the rest of the week.

I have always worked irregular schedules, so my medications are ordered in increments of hours instead of number of times per day. Now I average 4 times per day but some days I will need five doses while other days I will only need three thus my average being four times per day.

I take Adderall 20mg every 4.0 -4.5 hours I am awake with a ceiling dose of 100mg - during certain times of the month I require slightly more Adderall to be effective and if my sleep patterns gets messed up and my last dose wears off before I go to bed I can take an extra 10mg to combat rebound. I have been taking Adderall for several years now so my doctor allows me some room for dosage adjustments.