View Full Version : Dexedrine Vs Adderall

optimum00
04-09-07, 06:56 PM
I only found a few accounts on this board on people who took both, and I need more data!

If you have taken both dextroamphetmine and amphetamine salts at some time in your life, please post the differences below :)
I need to know the definite differences, like if you clearly noticed one side with adderall, but not dexedrine, that kind of thing.

Most important of all, how sleeping on the two, and then waking the next day? And also, next in line of importance is the cardiovascular effects, heart rate and BP.

prurigro
04-09-07, 08:30 PM
I took both- heres the differences I noticed

- adderall took more than twice the dose I take of dexadrine for similar benifits on attention
- adderall had incredibly load on my body compared to dexadrine; it caused more sweating, more adjitation and discomfort in my chest (I could feel my heart beating really fast, but never took my pulse), dexadrine I dont really notice body-wise other than a mild warming sensation in my arms and legs- BP is the same on as off dex and I've measured in this case
- adderall made me feel dizzy and mildly confused, this lead to social situations being met with my indifference and misunderstanding- something I dont experience at all with dexadrine- tho with dexadrine I cant control talking a lot as well, cuz it feels pretty good to.
- adderall made me feel tired and empty, I'd do work here and there despite the tiredness, but not because I wanted to- rather because I felt I needed to do something to get my mind off the terrible state adderall put it in. Sometimes I'd lift weights for this also. dexadrine does the opposite, I feel fairly awake and motivated.
- adderall made me sick, I felt like throwing up for a large portion of the time I was on it- I dont really know what caused this, but dexadrine leaves me feeling fine..
- adderall made me feel like I'd run a marathon the day before when I woke up on the next; I'd feel quite tired and sore- especially my lower leg muscles. Dexadrine, as long as I've had 8 hours of sleep I feel rested and almost pumped or excited-

anyway, I've done a run on both- I think adderall is a complete waste of time, but I also know it works differently for different people... It seems to be a general concensus though that if adderall works for you dexadrine will also with less body load- maybe people will argue that though, we'll have to see :)

Matt S.
04-09-07, 08:54 PM
Dexedrine is the kind of medication that gives you the mental bang of Adderall all in one shot, i.e. 60 mg of Adderall would equal 15 mg of Dex mentally for me, Adderall was more of a "rage" drug, it was the kind of med I'd want to take if I were a sniper, I'd be so hateful on that drug and with the XR's I tend to have these thought cycles that repeated themselves every 2 hours and it was very "Ritalin Kid" in it's effect that it had on me, I sort of stared off into space a lot. I prefer Dexedrine even though the Spansules can be Zombifying at times too.

D.B. Cooper
04-09-07, 10:43 PM
Prurigro summed it up pretty well. Theres also various chemical reasons that make adderall not that great of a drug but it boils down to that its not as efficent of a cns stimulant and causes a harder load on your body.

QueensU_girl
04-09-07, 10:47 PM
I have taken the Ritalins (IR and SR), Dexedrine (IR and SR) as well as Adderall XR. (Adderall fast release is "N/A" in Canada for some reason.)

Adderall is much more stimulating than Dexedrine, but the pay off is a Zombie-like need to sleep when it wears off. (Lasted 7 hours for me.)
Crippling.

I'll stick to Dexedrine 3-4x/day, thank you!

lars
04-09-07, 11:10 PM
I noticed in an earlier post of yours optimum00 that you stated that you had been prescribed Adderall, and that you had never been diagnosed with ADD. I point that out because these drugs tend to effect non-ADDers differently than they do ADDers. For instance, Adderall sedated me along the lines of taking a Halcion, as where Dexedrine provides me a very productive stimulation.

As far as "definite differences" between Adderall & Dexedrine, all I can say is that it's such an individual response more often than not. That being said, I think it's important to point out that the U.S. military, and NASA could choose to use any drug they want when it comes to increasing performance of top gun pilots & astronauts, and decade after decade they continue to choose Dexedrine.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/org/news/2003/030103-speed01.htm

JR1973
04-10-07, 09:53 AM
Call me crazy but I prefer Adderall over Dexedrine. Granted I only tried Dexedrine for a month. Yeah it does pretty much everything Adderall does but it still lacks a little something. Adderall helps improve my attention but also gives me a little motivational kick in the butt which Dexedrine didn't do for me. Maybe that is the l-amphetamine part of it, who knows? I don't have any bad side effects from Adderall anymore. No rebound, headaches or anything else other than an occasional heart flutter or so.

Proof that everyone responds differently to these things I guess.

J

justhope
04-10-07, 10:12 AM
Well said JR..and I think that is a point we have to make very clear over and over again....I feel the same way about Adderall...as I have been on many other stimulants myself. This one likes me the best, and I like it.

amythyst
04-10-07, 03:05 PM
Adderall XR
-a bit more motivation
-can concentrate and get stuff done (once I get myself to actually start)
-feeling "chatty"
-very thirsty...lots of bathroom breaks
-very cold hands and full body "chill" when it is at peak effect
-when it wears off I feel like I ran headfirst into a brick wall....headache, sleepy, lethargic, grumpy, way worse concentration and focus than without meds
- very sluggish in the mornings

dexedrine IR
- no help with motivation
- clear head, can concentrate, but still hard to get started
- bit of a chill, but barely noticeable compared to adderall
- mildly irritated when it wears off and hard to concentrate, but i can force myself to if needed
- can feel sluggish in the mornings, but not as bad as adderall

Both
- hard to get enough hours of sleep each night....go to bed late, but once I do I fall asleep fast and usually don't wake up through the night.
- both can make my heart feel like it's "pounding" although my pulse and BP rarely are affected (i've measured)...even when I feel like this. But, my heart rate and BP have always been very stable

hamlet
04-11-07, 05:51 AM
It seems to make sense and it's been postulated on here already that perhaps the action of Adderall better suits the unfocused or "fog-headed" adhd types, while Dex may be more appealing to the hyper-active types. Most report Adderall as having a motivational kick that is lacking in Dex, and those that would want and benefit from this are the non-hypers, while the hypers need the focus alone which is gotten from Dex. Adhd types who tend to hyperfocus would probably be better with Adderall also.

D.B. Cooper
04-11-07, 06:15 AM
I dont think so, inattentives would desire a higher level of cognitive functioning just as much as hyperactives. I've noticed alot of the inattentives are less tolerant of norinephrine and prone to co-morbid anxiety problems. Despite the obvious that more NE = more attentiveness, its just not that simple. Acetylcholine i think is a big player in what makes inattentives tick.

hamlet
04-11-07, 09:35 AM
I dont think so, inattentives would desire a higher level of cognitive functioning just as much as hyperactives. I've noticed alot of the inattentives are less tolerant of norinephrine and prone to co-morbid anxiety problems. Despite the obvious that more NE = more attentiveness, its just not that simple. Acetylcholine i think is a big player in what makes inattentives tick.I wasn't thinking that inattentives wouldn't equally share the desire of a higher cognitive level, which it seems is gotten from both meds, but that perhaps the hyperactives would have less or no desire for the l-amp affects of Adderall which some seem to describe as increased motivation or energy.

optimum00
04-11-07, 12:36 PM
Anyone have any tips on getting a doctor to switch you from Adderall to Dexedrine? This doc hasn't put anyone on 100% Dexedrine he said and since and "Little children take Adderall and don't have many problems, so I shouldn't either." This doc thinks I'm making up the side effects about my body... like the ice cold hands, or other body effects.

Matt S.
04-11-07, 12:48 PM
I was on Dexedrine for 6 years as a child and I just complained and said that "Adderall is not a Once-Daily Dexedrine" because I was on it for years, but it is easier to misuse if you take tablets I must say, so I'd recommend asking to try the Spansule version first because it has a bad rap due to it's "speed freak" point of reference from the 60's

prurigro
04-11-07, 02:12 PM
@optimum00 : maybe you should print off this thread and show your doctor ?

hamlet
04-11-07, 07:46 PM
Anyone have any tips on getting a doctor to switch you from Adderall to Dexedrine? This doc hasn't put anyone on 100% Dexedrine he said and since and "Little children take Adderall and don't have many problems, so I shouldn't either." This doc thinks I'm making up the side effects about my body... like the ice cold hands, or other body effects.I still don't get the rational, even more so when conclusions are made by the dr. based on others (children's) experience. I suppose if you wanted you could get a home bp device and measure it several times while on Adderall vs. Dex and show the results to him, since it will very likely average higher on Adderall. I don't think that you should have to go through that trouble, but it might be nice to know anyway. Can you get your dosage of both increased and just not fill the Adderall?

I have to say, it's easy enough for anyone to say that they have ADHD symptoms to get these meds, so I think it's admirable that you seem to not want to go that route. If Dex is truly the best thing for your condition I am sure there is a solution. Out of curiousity, how was your response to the traditional anti-depressants?

optimum00
04-11-07, 07:58 PM
I actually got a BP/pulse device (why I made that High BP thread) and even called the doctor about the high BP. He never called back and he had 5 or so days. In addition to the high BP, I get a awesome 90-105 pulse rate. This is all of course during the peak of the Adderall dose, and the BP/pulse go down to normal at night when the dex is only in my system. I was thinking of doing, if the doc won't change meds, Clonidine + Adderall, but I'm not sure how great that's going to be, plus 1 drug would be nicer than 2. I go Friday and will do my best to get switched to dex.

Most antidepressants induce sleep, which is something that I was already doing a lot of, so that wiped out a good portion of the antidepressant community. I tried Wellbutrin and felt worse, Provigil was great (not a typical antidepressant of course), and the rest I tried knocked me out and are hardly worth mentioning. With the tiredness and/or depression, I do lack concentration, but I know I don't have AD/HD. I always thought true AD/HD outwardly displayed their symptoms, I wouldn't try it anyways though. I wonder though if I were to ever switch doctors if I would even get this class of drugs.

hamlet
04-11-07, 08:10 PM
I With the tiredness and/or depression, I do lack concentration, but I know I don't have AD/HD. I always thought true AD/HD outwardly displayed their symptoms, I wouldn't try it anyways though. I wonder though if I were to ever switch doctors if I would even get this class of drugs.What do you mean by outwardly displayed symptoms? I do not think this is always the case, unless you are including indirect traits that others might see such as lateness, procrastination, zoning out, unreliability, etc.

optimum00
04-11-07, 08:37 PM
I always heard stories of parents/teachers/whatever sending their kids to a psychiatrist and being instantly diagnosed based on behaviour. I always thought it to be true because things like distraction would be easy to see and whatnot. Eh, what do I know?

hamlet
04-11-07, 09:04 PM
Yes, adults are different. Don't worry, it's a learning process.

cwbyjohnson
04-11-07, 09:15 PM
Provigil is a great drug while it lasts. I found it only worked for a few days in a row for me and then I had to lay off for a while. I want to ask my doctor what the chances of him prescribing me both dex and provigil, and maybe taking the dex during the week and the provigil on the weekends, giving both drugs a break and my system a chance to readjust and avoid tolerance.

optimum00
04-13-07, 10:11 AM
Strike 2 :(

dsc6072
04-13-07, 04:56 PM
Why don't you just go to a psych or something and take a Brown scale? See what comes up. I didn't even realize I had ADD until I sat in on an ADD counseling clinic with my girlfriend, but this was due to my ignorance regarding the disorder and how it manifests itself.

It's really not that difficult and I don't understand how you can be so adamant about wanting to switch meds in your situation when there are far more conventional ways to go about it that don't require much more than a couple visits to the doctor's office. There might be something else going on and if you felt as strongly as you do about getting the proper medication you should really try to pinpoint each and every possible disorder so you know you are getting the right treatment.

That's just my 2 cents on the issue.

Matt S.
04-13-07, 06:54 PM
I have used dexedrine for hyperactivity for almost 18 years and it is safe for me because I am too hyperactive. I started on Ritalin and being restrained 5 times a day wasn't ideal to me. I took Adderall and Adderall XR and those are better for 'letting off steam' per say. Adderall Rage for me cost a job and the drug itself was a diet pill when I took the 20 mg tablets for a couple of months back then. I can say my lack of anger inhibition was an effective tool to get some of these people who saw me when I was Zombie-like on 144 mg of Concerta and was shy and didn't talk. I have been hyperactive since birth, my biological father was the same way his dad and siblings were all hyper too. Sound sensitivity and all. The downside was that he was addicted to crack cocaine (my teen experimentation was a PTSD flashback of 30 mg doses of Ritalin and it was odd to sit still while the other people became paranoid and picking up cat litter off of the floor, I stared at the wall, useless, it's hard to beleive that people waste their money on crack or cocaine), it made him normal.

Momofadder
04-16-07, 09:05 AM
My son takes both. I can see where both have their benefits. This combo is working well for him. He takes 30mg of adderall XR plus 5 mg of dex in the morning. After school he takes another 5mg of dex to help with the comedown of adderall. It has been the best so far and we have tried many.

Momofadder

Edward
04-19-07, 05:32 PM
I've only been prescribed Dextrostat. So I have no personal experience to help you.

However, in "Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study of Single-Dose Amphetamine Formulations in ADHD" James, et al. compared giving children with combined type ADHD a single dose of either Dexedrine, or Dexedrine Spansules, or Adderall in the morning. They got daily feedback from parents and teachers and in this is from the "Best Medication" section in their RESULTS:
"High-dose (for a given child) immediate-release dextroamphetamine was chosen most frequently (32%), followed by low-dose dextroamphetamine Spansules (26%), high-dose Adderall (18%), high-dose dextroamphetamine Spansules (12%), and low-dose Adderall and low-dose immediate-release dextroamphetamine, both (6%)."(P.1273-4)

You had mentioned you were concerned with sleep, so heres a quote that may make you glad that you're on Adderall.
"Overall, stimulants significantly decreased presumed sleep duration (F3,19 = 9.92, p < .001). While both dextroamphetamine Spansules and immediate-release dextibamphetamine significantly decreased sleep duration compared with placebo (p < .001, andp = .02, respectively), sleep duration on Adderall did not differ significantly from placebo (p = .47)." (P.1272)
"Both dextroamphetamine formulations significantly decreased assumed sleep duration relative to placebo as indicated by Actometers, whereas Adderall did not significantly decrease assumed sleep duration. Parent ratings did not detect drug effects on sleep. On several occasions, patients reported decreased sleep confirmed by Actometers without parental awareness. "(P.1274)

If you can get a hold of the study for yourself it's worth the read, I think, because I believe it's one of the only clinical studies that compare Adderall and Dexedrine.

hamlet
04-19-07, 07:56 PM
I've only been prescribed Dextrostat. So I have no personal experience to help you.

However, in "Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study of Single-Dose Amphetamine Formulations in ADHD" James, et al. compared giving children with combined type ADHD a single dose of either Dexedrine, or Dexedrine Spansules, or Adderall in the morning. They got daily feedback from parents and teachers and in this is from the "Best Medication" section in their RESULTS:
"High-dose (for a given child) immediate-release dextroamphetamine was chosen most frequently (32%), followed by low-dose dextroamphetamine Spansules (26%), high-dose Adderall (18%), high-dose dextroamphetamine Spansules (12%), and low-dose Adderall and low-dose immediate-release dextroamphetamine, both (6%)."(P.1273-4)
.That's an interesting study, but the results don't seem what you would logically expect. High dose IR dex is closely followed by low dose XR Dex, but low dose IR is last.

I'd also assume that most children diagnosed are of the Hyper-active type (I'm just guessing here, but that seems to make sense), while more adults with ADHD might be of the innatentive type, or it least it may be more balanced.

optimum00
04-19-07, 08:31 PM
I can't for the life of me understand my doctor's disapprovel of dextroamphetamine. The only conclusion I have is that he's being paid by drug companies o_O I'm sick of high blood pressure, rapid heart rate, and hands/feet that turned to ICE.

hamlet
04-19-07, 09:22 PM
It's obvious from your postings that this is a real issue for you. I have to say again that you must find a doctor who is willing to consider your concerns and needs. No matter how difficult that may be, you ought to make it your mission and get it done.

optimum00
04-19-07, 10:47 PM
In everyone's experience here, when you change doctors do they honor a previous doctors drug cocktail for you? For example this is the fear in my mind: Person A has only been on Ritalin lets say for 6 months, and then changes doctors. Would the new doctor say something like,"Well it doesn't seem you tried enough drugs before going to Ritalin, how about non-stimulant Strattera since it is safer." It's that kind of fear. Keeping the same doctor gives stability and assurance that I will even get stimulants. Is this fear irrational? I've never switched doctors so I don't know.

Edward
04-19-07, 11:09 PM
I have never switched doctors. But, I believe if you've been diagnosed with ADHD then most psychiatrists will try stimulants unless you say you don't want a stimulant or theres another reason not to give you a stimulant. If you do not have ADHD then there is less of a chance that you'll be maintained on a stimulant unless there's major evidence that that's what you need.

hamlet
04-20-07, 07:27 PM
In everyone's experience here, when you change doctors do they honor a previous doctors drug cocktail for you? For example this is the fear in my mind: Person A has only been on Ritalin lets say for 6 months, and then changes doctors. Would the new doctor say something like,"Well it doesn't seem you tried enough drugs before going to Ritalin, how about non-stimulant Strattera since it is safer." It's that kind of fear. Keeping the same doctor gives stability and assurance that I will even get stimulants. Is this fear irrational? I've never switched doctors so I don't know.You do not need to blindly hire a doctor. Call your potential Doctors and screen them by letting him/her or the receptionist know your concerns before making an appointment. Ask if he/she has many ADHD patients, if they treat by medicinal management and if Dex is a part of that, since that is the med that you want to try. Keep calling around until you find one that seems willing to let you be the captain of your own ship.

Michiko74
04-23-07, 12:14 AM
I don't think I gave adderall a fair shot, but I noticed I got really paranoid when I skipped a dose. Anyway, I didn't notice a huge difference in terms of concentration. But I might try it again.

stealthology
04-23-07, 09:01 PM
Any inattentive types (ADD) see a positive differences from switching from adderall to dex? I'm thinking about asking my doc to try another drug. Is dex usually the next recommended med? He started me on Ritalin, and now adderall.

Thanks.

Iwalani8
04-24-07, 12:22 AM
yes, i'm inattentive and when i switched from ritalin to adderall to dexedrine, it was dexedrine that made me feel most like myself but with more focus and drive. it took a while to get to the correct dosage though, because it was first putting me to sleep, then switching to spanules at 30 mg a day made all the difference.

LittlePrincess
04-26-07, 05:23 AM
In everyone's experience here, when you change doctors do they honor a previous doctors drug cocktail for you? For example this is the fear in my mind: Person A has only been on Ritalin lets say for 6 months, and then changes doctors. Would the new doctor say something like,"Well it doesn't seem you tried enough drugs before going to Ritalin, how about non-stimulant Strattera since it is safer." It's that kind of fear. Keeping the same doctor gives stability and assurance that I will even get stimulants. Is this fear irrational? I've never switched doctors so I don't know.I had this exact same fear when I had to switch doctors.

Here is what happened IN MY EXPERIENCE:
I was prescribed Adderall by a doctor for the first time in April of 2004. I moved to another state shortly after, so I had to find a new doctor. I wasn't referred or anything. I just looked up psychiatrists in the Dallas area. At my first appointment, which was in July of that same year, I brought in the bottle of Adderall and showed it to him. I told him I liked the Adderall and that it was working well for me... so he wrote me a new script for some more. Very easy. No problems at all. :)

Terri S
04-29-07, 05:18 PM
Mainly to QueensU girl.....I went to see my doctor about switching me to "DEX", or "ADDERALL" ...You had told me that Dex had a smoother affect than Ritilan. I was on that 10 mg, 4 times a day. Since this company works with my insurance company, I have been using it for the last 8 years. I have always liked my doctors, but when mine left last month, I was switched to a new one, and he is the head doctor. What a grump! My other doctors were fine with me being on Armour (have pituitary tumor) and on bio-identical hormones. Those helped the depression and was able to go off lexepro. This doctor thinks Armour and bio-identical are a ridiculous choice, and said if you are trying to go natural, then why not just stop medication from us altogether. I told him that if i could go without ADD meds, i would, but that is something I still need. He said you tried Ritilan, Provigil, and now you want to try something else???!! He said no to Dex but allowed me to try ADDERALL 20 mg long acting. It hardly does anything. I think the dose is low. Is that a low dose, and when I go in next month, is asking for 20, 2 times a day too much? If he refuses, I guess I am stuck with Ritilan. The only reason I wanted to try other things, is to see which worked better for me. I really dont like this guy and may ask him to let one of his other doctors see me. Could you please advise me?
Thanks,
Terri S.

hamlet
04-30-07, 05:00 AM
Mainly to QueensU girl.....I went to see my doctor about switching me to "DEX", or "ADDERALL" ...You had told me that Dex had a smoother affect than Ritilan. I was on that 10 mg, 4 times a day. Since this company works with my insurance company, I have been using it for the last 8 years. I have always liked my doctors, but when mine left last month, I was switched to a new one, and he is the head doctor. What a grump! My other doctors were fine with me being on Armour (have pituitary tumor) and on bio-identical hormones. Those helped the depression and was able to go off lexepro. This doctor thinks Armour and bio-identical are a ridiculous choice, and said if you are trying to go natural, then why not just stop medication from us altogether. I told him that if i could go without ADD meds, i would, but that is something I still need. He said you tried Ritilan, Provigil, and now you want to try something else???!! He said no to Dex but allowed me to try ADDERALL 20 mg long acting. It hardly does anything. I think the dose is low. Is that a low dose, and when I go in next month, is asking for 20, 2 times a day too much? If he refuses, I guess I am stuck with Ritilan. The only reason I wanted to try other things, is to see which worked better for me. I really dont like this guy and may ask him to let one of his other doctors see me. Could you please advise me?
Thanks,
Terri S.A good doctor treating ADHD will not try to magically determine from his crystal ball what he thinks is the proper ADHD med and dosage for you. From the question you state that he posed to you it sounds as if this doctor is inexperienced with treating ADHD patients. I would fire him immediately and hire a new doctor if he continues to refuse to allow you to try the meds that you want and increase through to normal dosages to ascertain the benefits or lack thereof. I would try more Adderall first, since you already started it, then try Dex later if you want to experience the differences.