View Full Version : Strattera Dose Before Bedtime?

wannabepa
04-10-07, 12:09 PM
My doc started me on Strattera 40mg then 80 mg. After about a month or so, I stepped down to 60 mg since I think the 80 mg a bit too much.

My doc wrote for me to take the pill at bedtime. Does this seem odd to anyone? Any other nighttime dosers? I find I sweat and / or wake up before getting a full night's sleep if i take it at night. Although if I take it in the morning I crash about 4 - 6 hrs after dosing for about an hour.

Any suggestions? Am I loosing benefits by taking it at night?

Thanks!!!

EYEFORGOT
04-10-07, 12:30 PM
I'm on the same dose (60mg) and after a while (two years) on it I experimented with taking it at bedtime. It calmed me down, so it worked better. The most significant benefit I have had on the medication is my temper is curbed. I crash in the afternoons anyway, but that's due to my sleep apnea, and general habit of resting when my kids have a quiet time.

MS0178
04-10-07, 06:00 PM
I have switched between morning and bedtime twice now just due to changes in how it makes me feel. If its making it hard for you to sleep then you might want to adjust your dosing time accordingly. You can take it any time of day as long as there is 24 hrs or more between doses. Strattera is supposed to work 24/7 so you shouldnt loose any of the benefits by taking it in the evening.

wannabepa
04-11-07, 08:58 AM
I have switched between morning and bedtime twice now just due to changes in how it makes me feel. If its making it hard for you to sleep then you might want to adjust your dosing time accordingly. You can take it any time of day as long as there is 24 hrs or more between doses. Strattera is supposed to work 24/7 so you shouldnt loose any of the benefits by taking it in the evening.Thanks. Interestingly it seems as some of the population are normal metabolizers with a half life of about 5 or so hrs, and some are slow metabolizers with half life of 20 or so hrs. I wonder which one I am?

wannabepa
04-11-07, 09:00 AM
I'm on the same dose (60mg) and after a while (two years) on it I experimented with taking it at bedtime. It calmed me down, so it worked better. The most significant benefit I have had on the medication is my temper is curbed. I crash in the afternoons anyway, but that's due to my sleep apnea, and general habit of resting when my kids have a quiet time.I have sleep apnea as well. I am being treated for it with a CPAP, and my tiredness has disapeared. I would wholeheartedly recommend getting a CPAP if you do not have one already.

I have been flipflopping between my strattera at night and in the am. Took it last night, and I feel good this am. When I take it in the morning, I really crash for an hour or so around lunchtime. Think I am going to tough it out for a while takine my 60 mg at bedtime (I'm 240 lbs).

scatter-g
04-11-07, 11:24 PM
When I take it in the morning, I really crash for an hour or so around lunchtime.
Same thing happens to me -- I take it in the AM, but then get pretty sleepy midday, more so than usual. Really the only reason I take in in the morning is because that's when I'm more likely to remember. Maybe I'll take it later to see what happens.

-g

auntchris
04-12-07, 09:18 PM
Hey that sound interesting about the Strattera at night. I also, take Celexa and take it at night 40 mg. I have to get up early for school, would it be a good idea to switch, since the Celexa also makes me tired.

wannabepa
04-19-07, 12:45 PM
Hey that sound interesting about the Strattera at night. I also, take Celexa and take it at night 40 mg. I have to get up early for school, would it be a good idea to switch, since the Celexa also makes me tired.I'm not recommending anyone switch dosing. Just wondering how everyone takes their meds.

auntchris
04-20-07, 12:55 AM
How do you think it would interact with my celexa, would it be too much. It does make me tired in the morning and then fall asleep for a couple hrs... I think i will ask the dr the next time I see her. Anny thoughts?

wannabepa
04-20-07, 01:20 AM
How do you think it would interact with my celexa, would it be too much. It does make me tired in the morning and then fall asleep for a couple hrs... I think i will ask the dr the next time I see her. Anny thoughts?Sorry, not familiar enough with Celexa to have an opinion.

jamesW
04-20-07, 07:18 PM
i take mine in the morning.. but i do get tired at lunch time...and right now i could use a nap..but it's just after 7 so i dont want to be up all nite..

TheMiNd
04-25-07, 08:30 PM
In my experience, Strattera before bed makes for a restless night. I get sleep but I tend to wake up a lot. I have to take it during the day even though it makes me crash about 2 hours after taking it. I drank a can of Vault today, and I still fell asleep from it.

wannabepa
04-25-07, 09:35 PM
In my experience, Strattera before bed makes for a restless night. I get sleep but I tend to wake up a lot. I have to take it during the day even though it makes me crash about 2 hours after taking it. I drank a can of Vault today, and I still fell asleep from it.How long have you been taking Strattera, and do you feel a benefit from it worth the afternoon tiredness?

TheMiNd
04-25-07, 09:57 PM
The drowsiness only occurs for 2 days with the 40mg dose. I upped it to 60 mg last fall, even after taking it for a month without missing a day it still would make me drowsy.

Considering I can't concentrate long enough to read without it, and taking it makes my social life alot easier, yes its worth it.

wannabepa
04-30-07, 03:37 PM
I'm still taking the 60 mg at night, and I wake up in the am in a cold sweat. I feel rested, and at ease, but I am still not sure if I am getting any benifits as of yet. It carries a hefty price tag not be be noticing anything. I am going up to 80 mg, and we will see what happens. I am getting kinda nervous because I am going to start school again in the fall. I still feel like I am having a lot of trouble completing tasks at hand.

ADizzyGirl
04-30-07, 08:32 PM
I started Strattera five weeks ago and have been taking it at night the whole time. The only thing I've seen so far is that I'm totally wiped out the first day after I increase the dose (took 25 mg for a week, 40 mg for a week, and 60 mg for the last three weeks). If I have some coffee or time to take a nap I'm good. Other than that, no problems. I'd heard that people would get drowsy for a little while during the day when taking it in the morning, so that's why I started taking it at night right away.

TheMiNd
05-01-07, 01:06 AM
I can't live with the drowsiness anymore during the day. I fell asleep on the couch at someone's house who I barely knew yesterday. I managed a few times last week to keep myself awake, but then I'm yawning and tired all afternoon. I'm going to attempt to switch to my dose at night. In the past I've had bad experiences so we'll see. Last night I took it, I was very tired today but that was probably because I'd had 32 oz. of mountain dew right before bed. So we'll see.

wannabepa
05-01-07, 01:24 PM
Started 80 mg at bedtime last night. Woke up feeling good. I did wake up a little early, but I feel fairly well rested today. Had to buy my new pills last night--133 bucks...pretty expensive to not be seeing much result.

Maybe I am just totally burned out at work vs. having an ADD/ADHD problem :eyebrow:

Swede63
05-01-07, 01:43 PM
I am finding that I get the best results on a low dose (18mg) It's possible that some of the problems people are experiencing are due to a higher dose than is needed. 40 mg to start is way too much in my opinion.

All the side effects are gone and I feel that my mind is much clearer. Also I'm less irritable and I think things through more often instead of acting impulsively.

I'm not drowsy in the afternoon but I have had a tough time falling and staying asleep.

I don't quite get the bedtime dose. Wouldn't it wear off by let's say midmorning?
Is anyone taking another dose during the day?

wannabepa
05-01-07, 03:09 PM
I am finding that I get the best results on a low dose (18mg) It's possible that some of the problems people are experiencing are due to a higher dose than is needed. 40 mg to start is way too much in my opinion.

All the side effects are gone and I feel that my mind is much clearer. Also I'm less irritable and I think things through more often instead of acting impulsively.

I'm not drowsy in the afternoon but I have had a tough time falling and staying asleep.

I don't quite get the bedtime dose. Wouldn't it wear off by let's say midmorning?
Is anyone taking another dose during the day?Out of curiousity--what is your age, sex and weight? I'm Male early thirties and 240 lbs.

TheMiNd
05-02-07, 11:12 PM
Swede, thanks for making me see the obvious. I stopped over at the health center this afternoon. I'm going to switch back down to the 40mg dose I used before. It only makes me drowsy for the first 2 days I take it.

ADizzyGirl
05-03-07, 04:00 PM
It's not like a stimulant.. the drug has to build up in your system to have an effect. That's why it typically takes several weeks to a few months to see results. From what I understand, time of day doesn't really matter as long as the doses are roughly 24 hours apart.

Swede63
05-08-07, 09:23 AM
Still experiencing good results from Strattera but I can't get to sleep at night I've averaged 3 to 4 hours of restless sleep for the past 4 days. I don't have the afternoon or daytime sleepiness as some people here are mentioning but losing sleep is taking a tole on me physically and emotionally. My anxiety level is through the roof at night because I'm so worried that I won't be able to sleep again. I suppose I should just talk to the doc. but I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem.

stasia
05-08-07, 10:21 PM
Hi Swede....I have the same problem. 3-4 hours sleep max per night. Melatonin doesn't work for me, but Ambien does. I have an old prescription and tried it last night...I slept for three hours, woke up, and went back to sleep for 4 which is pretty good considering how bad it's been lately.

Swede63
05-09-07, 02:20 PM
Glad to hear that you got at least a few extra hours sleep.:)

Last night I decided to take the Strattera at bedtime,big mistake,I felt really wired all night like my body was buzzing. No sleep the entire night:(

I had to get up at 3am and take an adivan to bring my anxiety and muscle tension down. I was able to get probably 1 or 2 hours fitful sleep between 5 and 6am

I have a prescription for Ambien although I have yet to take it because by the time I get into bed it's already 11:30 or so and I believe that you need to allow for at least 8 hours of sleep if your going ot take it. Tonight I'm going to take the ambien at around9ish put in some mindless movie and hope for the best. I need some zzzzzzzzz's!!!
I think I'll go back to the morning dose of Strattera

orangecat
05-13-07, 02:21 AM
Has anyone tried spiltting the dose over the day, such as taking two 25 mg, one in the morning and one in the afternoon? I don't like how I feel for about 5 hours after taking it, but after that I am OK. I can't sleep when I take it at night. I think a split might work for some of us since the problem is either the first few hours after we take it or the crash several hours after we take it.

I do the spilt during the day with my thyroid medication and it works well.

Garbanzo Dude
05-22-10, 11:52 PM

After many different trials such as getting up to 80mg, mixing with Adderall or Provgil(awesome drug) taking in the AM or PM, I too feel the best on the lower dose...25mg for me, my doc approves, Also I did take two weeks off (long holiday) and I started to get really bad anxiety, I was taking Lexapro for 2 years, but stopped 2 months ago ....kind of surprised how well Strattera works for anxiety, totally calms my mind down

meridian
05-23-10, 12:52 AM
After many different trials such as getting up to 80mg, mixing with Adderall or Provgil(awesome drug) taking in the AM or PM, I too feel the best on the lower dose...25mg for me, my doc approves, Also I did take two weeks off (long holiday) and I started to get really bad anxiety, I was taking Lexapro for 2 years, but stopped 2 months ago ....kind of surprised how well Strattera works for anxiety, totally calms my mind down

I've been on 100mg taken in the AM and a few weeks back the doc upped me to 120mg as a 60mg in the morning and then 60 mg 5-6 hours later in the afternoon. Worked OK but insurance would not give me two capsules a day.

So I went back down to 100mg in the AM and that seems to work best for me.

I do get drowsy around 3-3:30 pm but a hit of caffeine gets me through it.

I take 0,5,g of Klonopin at night and that helps me sleep.

Scooter77
05-23-10, 02:13 AM
I take 60mg at night, taking it in the morning used to make me so tired I couldnt study. I don't find it affects my sleep. I do find it made a significant improvement on a bad case of depression and anxiety :-)

It doesnt wear off like stimulants btw, because it's an anti-depressant that works on norepinephrine instead of serotonin, it needs to build up in your system which is why it takes a few weeks to kick in