View Full Version : Let's clean up today! Tracking Progress.

spacedout
04-14-07, 01:17 PM
Hi Everyone,

Today I'm trying something new. I am going to check into this thread every now and then with my cleaning progress for the day.

If you are also cleaning, and would like to participate, join in! If no one joins me, I'll still do it. You can still join the thread if you're cleaning on another day, not today.

I think (hope) that if I check back in and write my progress here that it will be motivation to keep going. Right now my place is a real crazy mess.

To start: I washed all the dishes in the sink, and then put the dishes in the sink that wouldn't fit in there before. I'm making "breakfast" right now at 1pm. After breakfast and 10mg Adderal, I'll continue.

What have you cleaned today so far? Let's clean up!

spacedout

Veighen
04-14-07, 01:52 PM
sure, I'll jump in!

Okay.. I have a load of laundry in the dryer...and it should have about 40mins left...er no wait... 20mins left.

Lets see if I can remember to go get it when it cuts out! :D

VisualImagery
04-14-07, 02:36 PM
Spaced-you are in orbit on this one! OK, I did some organizing of clothes and stuff. Need to shower and get ready for my DH and DD birthday dinner-going to eat with son and GF at college tonight! He is giving up his RPG night!

I am getting rid of some of his clothes-a bag of t-shirts. I have to sort his crap to make a room useable! Yes, I think he has ADD.

Until we leave, I will go through my sewing stuff and sort patterns from notions and tools, then it will be easy to put it all away in the pretty boxes I cover with the pasted paper I make! Patterns will go in those clear plastic banker envelopes with any buttons, zippers, trim for the project too. Keep fabric samples in there too. I need to start making the drapes I have fabrics for and pillows for the couch and adirondack chairs-in a decorating mood and that makes me clean house!

spacedout
04-14-07, 02:36 PM
Hi Veighen, that's a good start!

I just made the bed, picked up, folded, and put away some clothes, and made a list of the rest of what I have to do. (I got sidetracked for a while and was wandering around on the internet.)

spacedout
04-14-07, 03:41 PM
Wow VisualImagery, you have a busy day ahead! By the way, what does RPG mean?

I've put away all my clothes now (oh my god that was tourture, I think I need a drink now), organized the medicine cabinet, did the rest of the dishes (including new ones I haven't used yet), and emptied and put away a suitcase from a trip I took last weekend. It's starting to look better in here.

I'm going to get some food now.

scatter-g
04-14-07, 04:50 PM
I think this is a great idea. Long distance coaching. I am doing laundry, earlier I cleaned about a bit in the yard -- getting ready for spring veggie planting. Maybe I'll do some dishes. ANYTHING is better than doing the work I have to do this weekend. :P

-g

spacedout
04-14-07, 06:12 PM
Hey guys,

scatter-g: that's exactly why I started it, like self-coaching via the internet. I also have other work to do, but with all this disorder around me it's hard to put my thoughts in order.

These last few hours have not been that productive, as I spent a fair amount of time searching for my wallet so I could go get pizza, then forcing myself to eat the pizza since the adderall takes away all desire to eat, etc. I did clean the mirror and the sink in the bathroom, and washed my handwash only clothes. I'm still going!

VisualImagery
04-14-07, 07:39 PM
RPG = Role Playing Games, some futuristic military battle thing, I forget what it is called. Bad mom. ;)

We didn't go to dinner-yeah more time to work! :eek: Saved 2 hours on road with 16/17 year-old driving. :faint:

I got tons done today!!!!!!!!! The sewing room is almost ready for launch! I have to drill a bigger hole for my knee-kick and get a few things off the sewing table I built for machine quilting/free-hand "sketching" on fiber arts projects. Can't believe I got this much done-but it feels so good. It was a lot like Christmas-I kept finding things that I forgot about or was looking for!!! The room is looking good!

spacedout
04-14-07, 07:49 PM
That's awesome VisualImagery!

I'm feeling pretty good right now too. I untangled a mess of wires that I had not paid attention to for almost 2 years. I kind of gave my right hand an electric shock in the process and it still doesn't feel quite right, but oh well. I also cleaned my desk. I really cleaned it, not just putting the mess somewhere else, and it looks great. I cleaned out my purse and put away most of my books too.

Now on to the things that I really don't want to do: cleaning out the fridge, the microwave, and cleaning the floor. That, and organizing my papers. Organizing papers makes me feel panic.

This cleaning thing has been slow going, but I'm determined to get it done!

Swede63
04-14-07, 08:33 PM
what a nice motivating thread:)

After reading an article in Real Simple magazine on closet cleaning I stormed into my closet and threw out 20 pairs of shoes and two big bags of clothes that I never wear but were cluttering up the closet. Now if I could just get my H to do the same on his side.

scatter-g
04-14-07, 09:05 PM
These last few hours have not been that productive, as I spent a fair amount of time searching for my wallet so I could go get pizza. Been there, done that, many times. Sometimes it makes me just want to scream -- but I usually don't. :D

Glad to hear you are still going! I'm still doing laundry, though I took time out to organize cd's and every now and then I muster the mental energy to work on a painfully difficult writing project I have got to get done by next week.

One of these years I'll organize my papers, but I really can't bear it tonight.

cheers!
-g

spacedout
04-14-07, 10:21 PM
Haha, I actually did scream and curse! I was so frustrated, I just bought this wallet yesterday because I lost my previous one on a bus.

I'm glad you're getting stuff done, and working on a project due next week! Hopefully you'll get some hyperfocus drive at some point and get it done.

I haven't done much since last I posted. I think this cleaning thing is going to have to be a two day affair, which is fine. This thread has really helped me stay motivated.

meadd823
04-15-07, 02:35 AM
For your less ambitious days we have a toned down version similar to this thread. . . here the ONE thing I have cleaned today. (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=405438#post405438) Started a month or so ago.

It was meant more as a reason not to feel like a total failure for not cleaning the entire house where we could see that cleaning some thing was better than cleaning nothing. I see this as more along a coaching thread. . . . so we now have a variety of positive threads. . . way cool. :D

scatter-g
04-15-07, 09:46 AM
Day two.....
Put away the laundry I did yesterday, which is a huge struggle, and started another load...
Did a large piile of dishes and cleaned the kitchen counters...
Diverted some water out of the fish pond so it doesn't spill over with all the rain that's headed this way and dump fish in the yard...
Now I'm going to a friend's house to feed her cats and return a bucket that's been sitting in the hall for a week...
And it's not even 1O AM yet :eek:

I'm worried though. If I keep getting this much accomplished, you all are going to think I'm not ADD enough. The good news is that I'm procrastinating by cleaning -- I have exams to grade and a paper to finish writing. I'll get cracking at that stuff when I get back in, maybe. :D

Ciao!
Hope everyone's having a productive start to their day.
-g

spacedout
04-15-07, 01:54 PM
Hi Guys.

Wow, 20 pairs of shoes! I can't even imagine throwing out that many shoes. Your post inspired me to go get rid of all of the shopping bags I had been hoarding for no reason.

So I'm back at it today. Scatter-g, I am very impressed. I am not functional before 11AM.

After rescuing my boyfriend from the rediculous rain, I am attempting to tackle the most unappealing cleaning tasks. Hopefully I'll be successful:)

scatter-g
04-15-07, 03:50 PM
Thanks! I usually have a burst of energy first thing in the morning then I crash hard at midday, so it all evens out...

I did manage to get some writing done, go for a run in between rainy spells (we didn't get hit as hard as the East Coast here in central PA) and start piling more dishes into the empty sink :(

Round two of my day starts soon.

Good luck with cleaning.

-g

spacedout
04-15-07, 05:01 PM
Hi Guys,

So I cleaned out the microwave and the fridge, and swept the floor. I'm about to finish the floor and vola! I'll be done.

scatter-g
04-15-07, 06:28 PM
Wow! Now you don't have to do it again until next spring!

-g

spacedout
04-15-07, 07:38 PM
Haha, hopefully I'll build up the motivation to do it again before it gets so out of hand. I gave up on the organizing papers thing, that will have to wait (maybe until next spring:))

I'll probably come back to this thread whenever I need to motivate myself to clean for an extended period of time. I hope other people can use it as well, it really helped me!

spacedout

thewfh
04-15-07, 08:38 PM
Hey guys! I did a schedule this past week of daily chores and I'm hoping to stick with it. SO, this is perfect Spacedout....

Monday: vaccum up and downstairs and dust
Tuesday: clean up and downstairs bathrooms
Wednesday: windows
Thursday: break phew!
Friday: vaccum downstairs, mop floops and clean kitchen.

Just something to help keep me on task...

Now I just need to schedule time to do "deep cleaning".... I think that could be a thursday thang...:faint:

scatter-g
04-15-07, 08:53 PM
Ambitious! Especially "mop floops" LOL. I know it's not nice to make fun of ADDers spelling errors, but that one was great!
I find it also helps to tell people ahead of time. Then they can hassle you when you didn't get it done!!!

I agree that we should keep this thread going, or start similar ones. It helped me to stay on task this weekend -- so did the rainy weather, no fun outdoor activities to tempt me outside for long periods of time.
-g

thewfh
04-17-07, 09:07 PM
Oops...mop floors.:o When I get in a hurry, my typing can really bite!

Hey! ON the cleaning note....it's been tough sticking to the schedule but my house is clean and I've been taking note of the time. Even today, I was running a GF around town (b/c her car was broken) and I noticed the time was 1:00. I told her jokingly that she's cutting into my cleaning time. Her daughter and son have ADD ADHD respectively so she could understand the humor.

I got windows done, house vaccumed, and mopped flopped ;) Whoo hoo!

spacedout
04-18-07, 01:37 AM
wow, that's so great thewfh! windows too?! I'm impressed. My enemy is a large dirty floor, I get so overwhelmed because I sweep a little here, a little there, and then a bunch of random piles of debris end up on the floor, and some areas I forget entirely. It takes forever.

I'm posting to say that I got rid of the largest pile of paper in my apartment today! It was a struggle, but I did it. I'm feeling like I should organize my drawers, as that would really complete my whole cleaning thing, but that might be a work in progress for a long time. I'm amazed that I'm still trying to clean. I'm also amazed at my spotlessly clean fridge. I used to open and close it as fast as possible in hopes that the room wouldn't smell bad for too long afterwards (that's horrible, I know, but it's true). Now it's all clean and white and shiny!

Faylen
04-18-07, 08:25 AM
My therapist, who knows his ADD, told me to make a schedule like that. My ADD mind always told me that you had to finish everything you started, or it wasn't worth starting, so I ended up with a horrible mess. In the old house, we hired a cleaning lady - which didn't help, because she finished the whole house every time. Talk about feeling inadequate.

So I have one day to vacuum one side of the house, another day to vacuum the other, one day to wash the floors, one day to clean the bathrooms, etc.

Even then, though, my scatteredness was so frustrating, I was more likely to look at my list of two things a day and get depressed and take a nap instead.

Oh, but now the Adderall helps me to remember that all I have to do is those two things and then I have tons of time!!! In fact, with that time, I've been throwing things out, organizing, and doing the non-weekly tasks that weren't getting done, either (cleaning under the area rugs, washing woodwork and door handles, cleaning mirrors and pictures and picture frames, polishing furniture. . .) AND I've had time to read, watch TV, make jewelry, talk on the phone with friends and so on.

The thing that helps me the most with keeping on track, though, is my treo. (phone/palm pilot) I can put down the tasks on a particular day and schedule a weekly repeat. I make it so the memo doesn't go away until I check it off, so if I don't do it on the day it's scheduled, I'm reminded the next day that it has to be done. I can do that for monthly, yearly, and other times as well. It took a while to get used to it, but I'm using it more and more to replace all the little notes and post-its I had all over the house.

thewfh
04-18-07, 07:56 PM
I tell ya, Faylen. Those things are great aren't they!! My Hubby got me one for Christmas last year...boy has it helped me on some jams! They do really help. The alarm is what I needed most b/c writing an appointment on a piece of paper isn't gonna help me if it's buried under so much crap.

Didn't do squat on my schedule today.... Had to fix a leaky water main valve. Boy was my Plummer Dad proud of me! I had to first fix the Stop Valve outside b/c it was bent. Then the city could shut off my water finally. Dad said I saved probably $900!

Gotta say something about ADD ingenuity! (sp?):p

Faylen
04-19-07, 09:18 AM
Woohoo! That's one thing I've always loved about my ADD, being able to figure out fixes for things. I have to, because I'm terrible about being meticulous or making plans. Gotta be able to wing it.

Today I have to send out some thank-you notes (from Christmas, I made the kids write them and then misplaced them, so I have to write my own apologies as well) and I'm supposed to clean the fronts of the cabinets. I've decided to hold off on that until tomorrow because I'm supposed to wash the floor then - I can do the floor and wipe up the drips from the cabinets at the same time. I've already unloaded and reloaded the dishwasher and cleaned the sink and counters, so my day is going to be. . .45 minutes on the treadmill, then clean the polymer clay stuff off the sewing table and make some clothes. I'm psyched.

amythyst
04-19-07, 12:43 PM
I took all the garbage out to the alley this morning...BEFORE the garbage truck came!

thewfh
04-20-07, 07:06 PM
Amythyst, I do that alllll the time. I think the garbage people seem to expect me to come running out from underneath my opening garage door anymore! I usually hear the truck and go running down the stairs, through the kitchen and out the garage door, hitting the opener in one wack!! :faint:

Phew! Who needs a treadmill!
Let's keep up the good work, gals! Whoo hoo!

Swede63
04-20-07, 09:55 PM
Your post inspired me to go get rid of all of the shopping bags I had been hoarding for no reason.

LOL yep I have one of those giant balls of plastic shopping bags. I keep meaning to take them back to the grocery store to be recycled but darnit I can never remember to take them.

Faylen
04-21-07, 09:06 AM
I have a dog (and a cat that likes to bring us presents) so I put a lot of those bags to use, but I'll tell you what helped me to remember to recycle them (besides tripping over them on the way to the computer. . .) As soon as they're empty, I grab them and put them in the van.

Now, it took a while to get to part two, which was checking the trunk before heading out to the supermarket. I'd get back to the car with the groceries and realize that a huge amount of space was filled with empty bags. (If the weather was nice and I wasn't in a rush, I'd grab them and go back to the store to put them in recycling.) Today, though, it's routine that I head to the car, open the back, and put the bags in the front seat before heading out.

Yesterday (to get back on topic) I cleaned up the dog and cat presents from the back yard, pulled up the stakes, fencing and debris from last year's failed veggie garden, raked up and leveled the spot, and hubby and I started assembling a shed there. This will allow us to clean up the garage so we can use it for an art studio. Woohoo!

thewfh
04-21-07, 04:05 PM
Good job! I rode my bike today....does that count for being "productive" at least?! My next big job is to tackle my closet. It's exploding at the seams w/ junk my hubby and I don't wear anymore. No room for all my shoes so they are all over the floor. Since the shelves and hangers are full of clothes I don't wear, the more commenly worn stuff gets tossed onto the top or thrown on the floor on my pile of shoes! :faint:

I think I'll schedule a purge next week sometime. I'll check my schedule... really!

meadd823
04-22-07, 04:53 AM
LOL yep I have one of those giant balls of plastic shopping bags. I keep meaning to take them back to the grocery store to be recycled but darnit I can never remember to take them.

Instead of having giant balls of plastic grocery bags have you considered one of these?

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s206/tlr823/editedbagjugDSCF0341.jpg

I made this out of an old water jug and it holds a lot of bags. For some reason all the bags are now white so I put s leaf bag and some paper towel in there for color so the contrast would make the opening easier to view.

I simply wrap the plastic grocery sacks around my hand and shove into the opening. I bet I can easily fit 40 of them in there. Keeps them from flying all over the place and rids my life of the bag wads It took me about five minutes to make it required one gallon water jug empty of coarse, one fairly sharp pointed steak knife to begin the hole and a pair of scissors to cut the hole.

Just some thing I learned from some one else some where.

Faylen
04-22-07, 12:39 PM
Today I raked, put out the patio furniture (still have to bag the debris and wash the furniture) moved some plants, and put things from the garage into the shed. OK, so I actually made more mess than I cleaned up, but at least it's something.

VisualImagery
04-22-07, 02:51 PM
Tomorrow is town clean-up day-they will take anything except construction trash. Sooooooo, today's goal is to go through all the stuff in the basement left in boxes or ready to put away and toss out papers and other junk.

Three categories:
Trash - Give away - Keep

The keep stuff will be sorted by room it goes to and put in boxes as I empty them making it easy to go through later when working in each room.

Trash bags ready, boxes set, time to go..... I do love motivation and knowing this stuff will be OUT OF MY HOUSE TOMORROW! The give away boxes will go in my van and I will drop them off tomorrow morning!!!!!!!! I feel good just getting the process going!

EYEFORGOT
04-24-07, 08:44 AM
Tammy, that's great. I waited until I finished up a huge jug of pretzels before turning that bulb on. My pantry is SO much neater. My grocery store recycles them, but I forget to bring them. :rolleyes: gee. isn't that surprising.

Awful awful kitchen was cleaned last night. Oldest got in trouble so I had him mopping the floor. We're starting to get some ants, and where there's one there's a million you don't see yet. If I don't keep up with those dirty dishes I am going to be a very sorry Mama. ew ew ew

thewfh
04-25-07, 04:36 PM
Whoo hoo! I cleaned out the freezer yesterday b/c today was garbage day! Usually I forget and then I 'm stuck waiting until next garbage day. I also cleaned my downstairs bathroom! Just don't ask me how my bedroom looks!:p

Faylen
04-26-07, 11:08 AM
Can I give a couple of little hints that help me?

Well, I'm going to. Heh.

In the bathroom, keep cleaning products in the tub or shower stall, and clean it while you're showering. I also keep paper towels in the bathroom, and will wipe down the sink and faucet after drying my hands so it looks clean for longer. You can use the washcloth that you were about to toss in the laundry if you don't like to use disposable stuff. Take advantage of toothpaste drips, too - toothpaste is a great non-scratch cleaner. In the laundry room, I'll take a washcloth that's about to go into the washer, get it damp, and wipe down the machines (they get dirty, too.) It gets tossed in right after that. When it's time to replace your toothbrush, take it around the house and clean out the stuff that never gets cleaned because it's a tiny space, all the nooks and crannies, then throw it out. When you're vacuuming, carry some Static Guard. It'll loosen up pet hairs and other static-charged stickies and make vacuuming easier - just spray trouble spots as you go. Any time you have a sponge, damp rag, dust rag, furniture polish, spray cleaner, clean just one more thing than you were using it for. When the TV screen gets dusty, I'll take the rag (or swiffer, which is a great invention) and run it across the tops of picture frames as I walk to the trash to throw it away, for example. When I've cleaned off the kitchen table with an all-purpose cleaner, I might also take a swipe at the outside of the microwave.

It's ADD housecleaning at its best, I tell ya.

meadd823
04-27-07, 11:22 AM
My grocery store recycles them, but I forget to bring them.

I am sure ours do but we recycle for a living so this was an easy one. Instead of buying small trash liners for the smaller trash cans I simply use these after making sure they don't have huge holes in them.

I also stored my winter throw blankets in them after a good washing and air drying. Even if the animals manage to knock them off the shelf they won't get hair all over them. The plastic makes them less appealing to LS who loves to knock stuff off cabinet left open and then promptly sleep on any thing soft that falls out. . . They do not completely go around my throws or wraps leaving just enough room for a decent air exchange thus prevent smelling,

Winter animal beds after a good washing and airing on the line also fit rather nicely.

They are good to clean trash out of the car and toss it in the bigger can out side thus the car trash doesn't make it into the house.

Yard trash like beer cans idiots toss to prevent getting caught with a open container and , disposable cups wrappers of diverse varieties that some how manage to blow in the yard, animal poop if one has to pick that up {we live on acres so we don't}

Kitty poops between litter changes {thus the checking for holes before placing in gallon container}

And these grocery store bags are good for keeping extra clothes hangers from escaping and/or becoming tangled. plus the hangers will still hang in the closet neatly I will try to post a pick latter. I gotta take the dog out now and get ready for work. . . .

We get several of these things so we ask that things like gallon jugs not be placed in them, The store people will put things like gollon jugs with handles in them {like laundry detergent}and it isn't necessary. Gary {he does most of our grocery shopping = I don't YEAH} just tells them not to because it is simply extra trash. . . and makes the jugs of detergent, green tea ect harder to handle because of the stupid plastic bag - "precycle" - LOL! I never thought about telling them not to put big things like gallons of milk in them until I met Gary. . .he is recycle conscious.

meadd823
04-27-07, 12:17 PM
In the bathroom, keep cleaning products in the tub or shower stall, and clean it while you're showering. I also keep paper towels in the bathroom, and will wipe down the sink and faucet after drying my hands so it looks clean for longer. You can use the washcloth that you were about to toss in the laundry if you don't like to use disposable stuff.

Although I could not clean the shower while I was in it due to sensitive skin issues I do some thing similar to you in that I "theme clean". I have always done it this way sort of but it is easier with out children. . .but then again cleaning is easier with out children period.

Mirrors can be wiped off using the steam from showers, just keep paper towels or rags in bathroom. I do clean my tub and toilet separately how ever when I mop the floor I mop all the floor that are "mop-able" when I vacuum I vacuum the house, clutter control can be almost daily but I will do things like counter day and just clean counters, or dust day which isn't too often I hate this activity, glass day which is pictures{larger}, TV computer screens front door windows if I have energy left over I will do the visible interior windows.

A major problem for me is remembering a bunch of crap necessary to clean an entire room but I can remember glass cleaner and rag, or vacuum cleaner, mop and bucket with water. I rarely sweep I vacuum even my hard surface floors because it to me is easier than sweeping which normally only serves to spread things like fur and hair around more. I will sweep a small mess like when Gary misses cereal bowl or coffee cup with the sugar to sweep small bathroom because it is too small for the vacuum but the larger areas I vacuum.

My laundry I keep three separate baskets, one for colorers and red, one for jeans the other for whites. When the basket is full I know it is time to do a load of wash. I do not have to sort or figure out what need to be done. I can easy see that by looking for the fullest basket. Gary is finally getting the color thing sort of. He will put his jeans in the jean basket and fold his socks together and put them in whites, if he is unsure he folds the dirties and places them next to the baskets. We fold our sock together so I can pin them with a craft pin before putting them in the washer, this keep pairs together. I do not sort socks, if they aren't folded together they do not get pinned and the owner gets to sort their own socks.

OKay animals are fed and lotion is dry on my legs time for clothes and hair, or hair and clothes.

VisualImagery
05-14-07, 07:40 PM
Wow, no one has cleaned up for a long time..... uh oh.......

I am washing sheets, sorting piles, and getting guest room ready. My arm muscles are so sore from CPR practice I have to really pace myself and it is slow going. Down to the washer.......

VisualImagery
06-05-07, 06:03 PM
Watch out mamma is a cleaning machine! cooked dinner, loaded dishwasher, hand washed other dishes, uber cleaning the counter tops and cabinet fronts and now on a quest to remove the stupid-appliance garage...... where is that philips screwdriver.

anyone know how to replace a GFCI outlet so I can do it without medical bills?

:D :D

Guest1
06-10-07, 01:06 AM
my dad woke me up today and he told me clean the bathroom and i stayed in bed 20 minutes and woke up and did it all in less then 30 minutes the whole bathroom and then took dogs to bathroom then slept again haha

Guest1
06-10-07, 01:12 AM
my mommy used to do that jajaja good memoriesInstead of having giant balls of plastic grocery bags have you considered one of these?

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s206/tlr823/editedbagjugDSCF0341.jpg

I made this out of an old water jug and it holds a lot of bags. For some reason all the bags are now white so I put s leaf bag and some paper towel in there for color so the contrast would make the opening easier to view.

I simply wrap the plastic grocery sacks around my hand and shove into the opening. I bet I can easily fit 40 of them in there. Keeps them from flying all over the place and rids my life of the bag wads It took me about five minutes to make it required one gallon water jug empty of coarse, one fairly sharp pointed steak knife to begin the hole and a pair of scissors to cut the hole.

Just some thing I learned from some one else some where.

Guest1
09-03-07, 09:31 PM
i had to vacume and mop the house today i did it all today it sucked i was angry alday with my dad

Guest1
09-10-07, 01:07 PM
i have to sweap and mop now joy not

piglet
09-11-07, 09:34 AM
Great thread! I am cleaning my Mom's room... swept and mopped the floor, which is made more complicated by the fluffy, easily sent aloft cloud of fluffy FUR the doggoned dog leaves alllll over the house. The dog was NOT my idea, I inherited her out of my daughter's divorce. I am SO not up to the tasks of proper dog care. But she's a good, smart dog. Just, sheds alll year long. My daughter was defensively saying "But she only has two shedding seasons" and my husband agreed that that was so, but that each one is six months long. Mom's room is the dog's favorite spot to park, and it's got so much fluff in the crevices. Usually Mom's in there, doing her confozzled things and it's too distressing to her if I shove furniture around to do a good defluffing. Next is the kitchen. No, the bathroom. No, the....

loudloudLOUD thumpy music is on. Helps a LOT. I should do this more, play the loud music. It's like a shot of adrenaline.

NonSequitur
09-12-07, 11:39 AM
Well, I impresseed myself a couple of days ago. We got new (used) furniture for our basement rec room, including a computer desk, so we've been rearranging everything. I had business-type stuff - receipts, statements bills, etc - piled up for a long time. Some of it was already sorted and ready to be filed, but for some reason it was tossed ina box to do 'later'. I went through the boxes and piles and got everything sorted, filed, shredded or disposed of. :D

I have also vowed to keep up with the paperwork as it comes in, and I've been doing that for the last few days. I used to be really good about keeping track of things like credit card charges, but I've gotten out of the habit since I have automatic payments for everything. My husband helped me set up a budget on the computer, so I can keep track of income, expenses, credit card charges, etc and it's working great so far!

meadd823
09-13-07, 01:41 AM
I took the clean dishes out of the dish washer and put them away, ummm I hung out a load of wash, took a shower. . . I through.

VisualImagery
09-15-07, 05:29 PM
I am gathering the laundry and starting a load-keep on target-if I don't post back in 30 minutes, yell at me-nicely..... I need something to wear....

ProcrastN8R2
09-15-07, 05:35 PM
I brushed my teeth today. Does that count?

piglet
09-18-07, 06:37 AM
yes, brushing teeth counts. We're encouraging ALL cleaning behaviors.

VisualImagery
10-07-07, 04:47 PM
Been a long time since anyone cleaned up. I guess I will spoil the fun and start cleaning and rearranging my bedroom..... starting now......no, right after I choose some rockin tunes.....

Who wants to join me? Check back in 45 minutes to report your progress. It is 3:47 my time, so 4:30 I will be back....

dwightbean
12-26-07, 04:02 PM
great thread.

i need to put up the dishes and wash a few more. possibly clean the kitchen in the meantime. i took my vyvanse about two hours ago. no time is better than now. i'll update with my progress (or hopefully when i'm done) when i get back to my laptop.

dwightbean
12-26-07, 04:49 PM
done! thanks for this thread to keep me going to the end. if it wasn't for a forum "database error" i would've posted this 20 minutes ago :).

next up, cleaning the gift wrapping mess in the living area and/or cleaning my car. :)

Guest1
01-07-08, 07:12 PM
i vacuumed and moped and the dishes and i groomed my dogs yea i went to dog grooming school im license to groom but i used to work with it now i don't care to work in that no more so i groom my own dogs and bath the dogs my whole body hurts now

spacedout
05-25-08, 02:02 PM
Wow, I'm glad to see people using this thread!!:D

I'm back to clean one of the biggest messes I've ever made:o. Over the last year, my third year of med school, I have been fighting the mess, but in the end, the mess won!
Well the year is over, and I'm waging WAR against the chaos in here! It's me against the mess, we'll see who wins this afternoon!!

In my corner: 10mg of adderall, a good night's sleep, and nothing due tomorrow.

In mess's corner: overwhelming confusion, unpleasant tasks, a beautiful day outside, and the oh so distracting internet up and functioning.

So, first things first: laundry. I did 2 loads of it and took it out of the dryer. Now I have to fold and put away the clothes before they go all over the floor and get mixed up with dirty clothes. IT'S ON!!

Anyone want to join in in the clean up??

spacedout
05-25-08, 02:27 PM
Okay, so I folded the laundry and put it away. That was easier than I thought it would be! Next: more laundry. boring, I know, but I have not done laundry for a loooong time, probably need to do like 10 loads!

spacedout
05-25-08, 02:59 PM
Okay, the last load of laundry is in the washer (set myself a timer so i don't leave it down there for 5 hours). I have been working on that for days, must have been 5 loads total (okay, so not 10, but still).

Meanwhile, the papers are up next!
My goal is to:
first throw away all the papers I don't want.
sort through the ones I want to keep
put the ones i want to keep somewhere (not the floor!)

After papers comes books. Then comes sweeping, moping, and all that kind of stuff. Oh, and washing the hand wash only clothes.

I am really just writing this stuff out for my own benefit, trying desperately to stay on track here!

spacedout
05-25-08, 03:49 PM
Threw away all unwanted papers, now in the middle of sorting wanted papers. Last load of laundry in the dryer.
Man this is work! It's more work to force myself to keep doing it than it is to actually do it!

Time for lunch.

spacedout
05-25-08, 07:08 PM
Okay dudes, I have totally lost steam today, and have spent the last i don't know how many hours reading harry potter. Will continue tomorrow!!

chip
05-25-08, 11:57 PM
:rolleyes: Our teen has ADD & thinks they've got it all together. They refused to take any their medication last summer. There really was no need then. There was no job or licence to drive. Our doctor said if it wasn't taken
taken everyday she wasn't going to prescribe it anymore. That made my teen happy! But gone is our sweet even tempered young adult. They stay in their room 90% of the time just listening to music & on the
phone or playing games. If you ask a question it angers them & if I press for an answer it's a big blow up saying they don't want to live here anymore or be told what to do. Even saying they hate us & wish they were with their real mother. (adopted)
But, when they want something like money or go somewhere they'll be sickening sweet or come & say they've cleaned their room too! Well if I dare to say no there's a melt down that all the neighbors can hear including things thrown & doors slamed taking pictures down with it.
The cleaning doesn't mean dusting, moping or vaccuming. It's picking up
things out of the floor, in the bed & hiding it. And I do mean anything. . . It's stuffed in drawers, overnight bags, closet, under the bed, mattress including dirty dishes & silverware. When you start looking around it makes them go in a rage. I've showed by example, wrote it down & told them & over. Is this a teen thing or ADD symptom? chip

spacedout
05-27-08, 04:56 AM
hey chip,

I know you meant no harm by posting here, but this thread is to help us get and stay motivated to clean up in the immediate sense, not necessarily to analyze the problems (it's a happy thread!).

To answer the question: yes, that sounds totally ADHD, unfortunately. It's so damn hard to clean up and put things where they are supposed to go. Even if I'm making laundry piles (which I've been doing a lot of lately if you are reading this thread) it takes a loooong time because it is soooo hard for me to keep making piles that make sense. Soon I have piles with a combination of socks, gym pants, sweaters and a bottle of nail polish (how did that get there??). Much easier to toss it all in one place.

If you have any more questions about it, or would like to respond, please start a new thread! Thanks, and welcome:)

spacedout

spacedout
05-27-08, 04:58 AM
Speaking of, I haven't forgotten I'm supposed to be cleaning here. Yesterday I was sick, so hopefully today will be different and I'll keep going! Have to fold and put away that last load before I start throwing dirty clothes in the hamper with them. Also must attack the floor.
Join in if you like!

4gotAgain
05-27-08, 05:27 AM
great thread spacedout..
hows all the cleaning going?

I really need to clean my room more regularly. I keep saying I will do it once a week, on my day off. I often end up leaving it. I think doing a bit on each of my days off will make it less daunting. Actually setting up some type of routine will probably be very helpful.

spacedout
05-27-08, 04:35 PM
Hi i4gotagain,

Thanks for asking! I've been making progress in here. The further I delve into it, the more chaos I discover, haha.
I've put away the last of the laundry (yay!), organized the papers and put them away, and now I'm just generally trying to put stuff back where it belongs. Must go replace the ID I lost before 5PM, so I have to switch gears.

And I know what you mean about putting it off. Maybe you can come back here on your day off and see if it helps to have a "virtual coach"? If I see you on here trying to clean I will certainly offer words of encouragement!

spacedout

Princessc
05-27-08, 04:38 PM
Well I finished 3 loads of laundry, and am thinking of finishing the dishes..

spacedout
05-27-08, 05:17 PM
That's great Princessc, way to go:)
Hopefully thinking of the dishes will soon turn into doing the dishes!

4gotAgain
05-28-08, 12:49 AM
great that your making progress and getting lots done!! :)
thanks its a really good idea. I think I will come on here on my next day off (Sat)
cheers buddy!

erratica_1
05-28-08, 08:27 AM
I cleaned my sink this morning, and actually washed the breakfast dishes *before* leaving for work :)

spacedout
05-29-08, 06:11 PM
4gotagain-that seems like a great plan! I'll be out of town then, but I'll be looking to see if you made any progress when I get back:) (no pressure though).

erratica-good job!

Today I FINALLY cleaned the floor (have been avoiding that one for months). Washed the hand wash only stuff yesterday. I have never taken so long to clean up, but it really seems to be working. By doing a little bit everyday I'm still making progress without putting too much pressure on myself. This thread and all you guys who have commented/are cleaning also have really helped!

spacedout

ps-not done yet. . .

curseandablessi
06-13-08, 06:17 PM
Today, I did 2 loads of laundry, took the closet doors down, and put up sheers on spring rods, got three bags of trash (papers and stuff) bagged upstairs. Sorted the laundry into stacks according to tank tops, short sleeve styled t's, basic yard work t's and long-sleeved shirts. Tomorrow I'm going to put them into drawers and label the drawers. Baked a cake, london broil, and mac and cheese (and of course the hubby is late from work). Fed the birds and filled the dogs water, loaded and washed dishes in the dishwasher.

I'm done.

curseandablessi
06-14-08, 08:20 PM
forgot to make a list today!! I did get my cabinet with my summer tops organized, I threw all of the sweaters in a pile and kicked them over in a corner. I went to the Wally world and amazingly, after a week of meds, I had no impulsivity to buy a bunch of extra junk. I forgot my list, but I did pretty good. Then off to the Target and I only picked up the fan I wanted to buy (one of the tower fans). I cleaned off the top of my study desk. I've got some bread rising time to go and knead it and get it in the pans.

curseandablessi
06-17-08, 07:38 AM
I did really great yesterday. I got the stuff the hubby wanted from the auto parts store, I even remembered him mentioning in passing a week or so ago that he wanted spark plugs for his car.

I got rid of my grays. Ten years younger today!!

I got the ditch cut down (500 feet of it). Hubby had started with the gas trimmer but ran out of string. I took the push mower out and got all but a couple of places done (too steep). I fertilized 200 baby Christmas trees. Cut the front yard inside the chainlink fence. Put up the mowers and the gasoline.

Cooked supper, one load of laundry (still in the dryer), and studied for my test on Thursday (gosh I started studying 3 days early??)

And heck yes, I asked him for my gold medal when he came home from work. (He always asks me what I do I expect for doing such and such, "a gold medal?")

curseandablessi
06-22-08, 10:46 PM
Well after two weeks of meds, I'm getting a lot done. I've got my weekly bread rising. It will be ready to bake in the morning. My bathroom is completely cleaned out and mopped, with clean rugs, new bookshelf, and labels and baskets with different stuff sorted in it.

All of the parrot stuff is sorted and shelved. I've got most of the kitchen done, and just two messy places in the dining room. The top of the desk and the top of the deep freezer, the table and china cabinet are cleaned out and the hutch on top of the desk. The bedroom is still a wreck, as is the cat's room, but one thing at a time, right??

moo4dougie
06-23-08, 01:59 PM
I washed the dishes (most of them...) and vacuumed almost my entire apartment.

This is big for me; trust me!

WoOoOoOoOt!

curseandablessi
06-24-08, 06:56 AM
Great Job Moo4Dougie!! Today I don't feel like doing anything. But it's only 7 am and I haven't taken my medicine yet.

curseandablessi
06-24-08, 05:35 PM
Well I went back to bed this morning. But I did accomplish something. I went to the bank, woohoo!! the stimulus ck came, picked up some hydrolic?? fluid for the tractor, and built a bookcase, I need a few more longer screws. This is getting ridiculous, people might actually expect me to keep up this pace. LOL

curseandablessi
06-27-08, 07:47 PM
I needed more than a few more longer screws. I had to replace all of them. I got some OOPS!! paint from the home depot and got it painted-three coats. After it fell apart (because of the the too short screws, I went with three cube sections in the top and bottom sections of the it and two longer rectangle sections in the middle section, easier to get the screws in and not have to use the dowels.

It's not perfect (LOL) but I have to say it's the best wood construction job I've EVER done. And I FINISHED it, heck I even cleaned up after myself. The paint will be dry completely by tomorrow, and I can put stuff on it. It feels dry now, but I want to be sure.

EYEFORGOT
01-23-09, 03:24 PM
I remembered to pay a bill and put out stuff for freecycle.

I'm waiting for a call so a safe can be delivered and I am wishing it would happen soon...I'm stuck in the house until the guy calls. Of course, I'm thinking about the waiting and not what I could be doing in the meantime.

kettish
01-26-09, 08:45 PM
Today I scheduled a makeup exam, worked about four hours at my job, drove to give DH's keys and phone to him (he forget them at home, ADHD, lol), came home and napped, and then did dishes. Now I'm about to get dinner ready so I can pop it in the oven when he gets home and start picking up the downstairs. :P

Tomorrow I have off, but I have a friend coming into town, so no dice there. Might finally go up to Raleigh and see if I can get some new bras. And I've got to study the menu at the place I started working at more-they won't let me serve by myself and accept tips until I pass a written test on it.

gnbeg
01-26-09, 09:21 PM
I shredded about 3 years worth of old visa receipts (useless stuff like mc donalds, starbucks, restaurants, gas stations, etc). Somehow got the urge to get rid of these things after starting adderall little over a week ago.

kettish
01-28-09, 09:38 PM
Today was a crap day. Ugh.

Went to work, got sent home to iron my shirt, had to put the car in the shop on the way back because of weird scary noises it was making, got back to work, got told to go home since my friend was waiting to give me a ride, had an English exam, couldn't get a friend her military ID, got told by the mechanic a bunch of crap that isn't true but is very expensive, and finally had a pap smear/breast exam. Oh, and my husband didn't get home from work until 0830 this morning, as he had a jump last night. Joy.

Only good thing? A friend of mine's here. And I did, actually, get a lot done. :P

kettish
01-29-09, 08:53 AM
Today hopefully will be better. Got sent home from work for failing my training test for the second time-I really have problems with rote memorization from paper!-but I've got to get the car looked it.

On the plus side, I managed to get up again today on time-0500! Yay! :)

EYEFORGOT
01-29-09, 10:20 AM
My kitchen used to be caught up in one run of the dishwasher...now it takes two runs. I think I'm going backwards. (sigh)

But a load got done last night, so my goal is to catch up today. Safe guy was a no-show last time, but today is supposed to be the day. For sure. Definitely. Absolutely. Hopefully. Sorta maybe.

I have a bucket of stuff to go through and oodles of props to work on for my show...so something should be tangibly done later today. I hope. I think. Maybe.

kettish
02-01-09, 12:18 AM
I did some dishes today!! :)

EYEFORGOT
02-06-09, 10:57 AM
Load of dishes first thing this morning.

kettish
02-08-09, 12:53 AM
Aaaaabsolutely...nothing.

I ordered pizza and managed not to kill anyone. Yes, it is that time of month, and no, I can't help that I'm upset!!! The adderall makes it much much worse during those days. :P

hannielaggie
02-08-09, 12:55 AM
*sighs* I'm ashamed to report that I slept all day. I do plan on doing some "spring" cleaning tomorrow YAY!!!

kettish
02-10-09, 01:31 PM
I cleaned up dog poo today, and decluttered m couch. *bows* That is all, thank you!

pamkay414
02-18-09, 09:18 AM
I'm a little late here but being that my cleaning is not up to par, I do actually have some progress to report.

I cleaned my bathroom last night, which included scrubbing toilet, sink, walls, floor and tub. Smells and looks real nice and clean.

I also cleaned my stove, sink and counter tops as well as the microwave inside and out.

I vacuumed the entry way and scrubbed the walls and baseboards.

I am now going to clean off my desk and throw away the junk and whatever else is gathered here.

Then I am going to take the trash out after I empty the litter box.

Vacuum, mop and then shower.

I haven't slept last night and maybe that is a good thing. I work at home so I am also trying to catch up on my work too so I can catch up on the bills. My mood which has been pretty crappy for the last month is actually improving lately I have noticed. I refuse to get too enthusiastic though because it might come back any time. It's real quick unfortunately.

I used to be a real neat freak when I was young, age 16 but then as I aged and the depression got bad everything else was less important. A clean place really does do something to my mood though.

Have a nice day everyone.

kettish
02-19-09, 04:47 PM
I cleaned the bathroom and bedroom last night! :) And even picked up a bit in the living room! Today I hope to sort through my clothes (keep/I wear often and donate/I never wear and never will) as well as my linen closet. Additionally I'd like to finish the living room. DH doesn't get home until 9 pm-ish tonight so I should be able to take a nap and then have plenty of time to get into all that, lol!

kettish
02-20-09, 11:36 AM
Yesterday...I didn't get to do any of the things I wanted to. LOL. I'll refer you to a different thread if you want to know. :P In short, I ended up recleaning the bathroom and the laundry room.

Today I am going to take the dogs out, feed them on time, and then play with them for half an hour before starting cleaning. I also have to clean the laundry room floor. The job for the day is sorting my clothes like I wanted to do yesterday, followed by filing, and cleaning up the study.

Wish me luck!

kettish
02-22-09, 10:43 PM
Lol...I'm keepin' the thread alliiiiiive. Ow-ow!

Yeah, I bagged up all the clothes and jewelry I sorted through for Goodwill. :)