View Full Version : I'm a very alarmed and scared about what I just found out about

Wish
04-16-07, 05:05 PM
I went to see a new psychiatrist week ago. I told him that I have been diagnosed with ADHD and depression. I also told him that I am a recovered anorexic.

He prescribed me 150 mg of wellbutrin xl. Well, I started researching the drug today because it hasn't been working well for me at all. I find out that persons with a history of eating disorders shouldn't take wellbutrin!

Why in the world would a doctor prescribe that for me, knowing my history of anorexia, if people with a history of eating disorders shouldn't take wellbutrin? I'm scared about going back to him after finding this out.

Imnapl
04-16-07, 07:19 PM
Wish, give your pharmacist a call and see what he / she says.

VisualImagery
04-16-07, 08:41 PM
Wish,

Imnapl gave you a great suggestion. I had a similar thing happen with a doctor who prescribed Strattera. I have Mitral Valve Prolapse and it is contraindicated for people with heart abnormalities. I had a couple of really bad days of fast heart rate and chest pains-fortunately and EKG showed no problems.

I understand exactly how you feel-why the heck did the doc not listen to you? Who knows-but there is no excuse for this-IMHO. Here is a wonderful chance to learn how to advocate for yourself-it is very empowering.

Call your doctor's office after talking to the pharmacist. Be very diplomatic but very direct and factual and state that you read the patient information and discovered wellbutrin is contraindicated in people with anorexia nervosa. Tell them you are very concerned about taking the drug and because of your history. Mention that it is not working or helping you either. Believe me, they will put you through to the doctor or have him/her call you. If you do not get a satisfactory answer or they poo poo your concerns, look for another doctor. Your health is important. I would be alarmed too! If you are not comfortable with this person, don't feel bad about going elsewhere-you are paying the big bucks so spend your $$$ with someone you trust etc.

My best to you-and please let us know what happens.
ME-VI

Medscape Wellbutrin info (http://www.medscape.com/druginfo/dosage?drugid=13509&drugname=Wellbutrin+Oral&monotype=default)
You might have to join medscape to access this info-it is free! I use this site all the time, it is a very reliable medical resource. The info below is from the Wellbutrin info.

Drug-Disease Contraindications
http://images.medscape.com/pi/features/drugdirectory/dottedline.579x5.gif
Most Significant
Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia Nervosa, Central Nervous System Neoplasm, Epilepsy, Head Injury, Seizure due to Abrupt Benzodiazepine Withdrawal, Seizure due to Alcohol Withdrawal

Significant
Alcoholism, Lower Seizure Threshold, Manic Bipolar Disorder, Opioid Dependence, Panic Disorder, Sedative Drug Dependence, Severe Hepatic Disease, Stimulant Drug Dependence, Suicidal Ideation, Uncontrolled Diabetes Mellitus

Possibly Significant
Acute ST Elevation Myocardial Infarction, Disease of Liver, Feeling Agitated, Hypertension, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Psychotic Disorder, Renal Disease, Weight Loss

Wish
04-17-07, 02:00 AM
Unfortunately, many of the psychiatrists in Denver are limiting their practices because of difficulties with insurance and low rates of reimbursement. It stinks because it's the people who need to see a psychiatrist quickly ultimately suffer because so few psychiatrists in Denver are accepting new patients.

Hopefully all will go well with Dr. Weiss. I can get an appointment with him with a few days notice.