View Full Version : Jobs we can't do! :)

TIMBO
04-25-07, 05:22 PM
Hello all,

I've only posted on this forum 1 or 2 times and that was a while back! Just want to have a laugh cause I was watching the Liverpool v Chelsea game tonight, and am gutted cause I support The red's :( 1-0 oh well. Not much of a football fan, but when it comes to my team (which i've grown up to support with my mates and all since I was 10). I like to watch and see how they are doing once and a while. Any way back to the topic! I was watching the game and started to think "what it would be like to be a line's man". Knowing myself with my head twitching and all, there would be no chance I could do it. I would miss most of the off side's and wave the flag around like a loonatic. Also something I think would be funny is? working for the army, Imagine trying to hide from your enimies and all of a sudden you tick shouting " I'm over here you ****ers come and get me"!

Please enlighten my with your idea's, I could do with a good laugh! This is one of the few sites I can read at work now and my job sucks! I only got it because of my dad.

Thanks

Tim :)

P.S. I had to read this over and over again before I posted it to make sure there is no speeeeellllingggg mistakes. A case of OCD I think?

QueensU_girl
05-05-07, 08:19 PM
Thanks for this very humorous post, Timbo. It really made me laugh and just made my Day.

-Emma

TIMBO
05-06-07, 04:08 PM
Hey QueensU_Girl,

I'm glad that I had made your day. That's what life should be about, making everyone happy! You get the one's who have "everything" and are still not happy.Then you get the ones who have nothing, and have the best fun with just a plain simple piece of paper, if you know what i mean?

I hope this post get's as long as the great wall of China! We need to have a laugh on our own expence :)

Hope to hear back from you very soon?

Timbo :)

TIMBO
06-09-08, 09:30 AM
Hey all,
<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:p></O:p>
I'm back! I haven't been on this forum for years now but have come back to find that there is still no replies on my post since I looked at it all that time ago.<O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
I suppose that a lot of you T.S suffers don't feel the way I do about expressing the good/funny/more lively side of T.S do you? <O:p></O:p>
If you’re sitting there now saying yeah I do, then express it here please

But if your not? Then I won't bother coming back to this discussion!<O:p></O:p>
I could go on about all the depressing side of Tourettes on a new post on this forum if you all really want that e.g. Just how hopeless we all are and that we have no talent and life doesn't seem to be doing any favours for us boo hooooo hooooo? Then we can’t all join a cult and top ourselves in the twitchiest and noisiest fashion.<O:p></O:p>
Or you can join this discussion and have a laugh? Choice is all yours
P.S. For the people who take life to seriously and really cant handle being happy then please please please don't read this reply!!!!!!<O:p></O:p>
Oooooppppps I should have put that warning at the top of the message :eek:

Mary
06-09-08, 01:17 PM
Even though I don't have TS.. welcome back to ADDForums!!

DotwithADD
06-09-08, 03:09 PM
Even though I don't have TS.. welcome back to ADDForums!!

Yes, Welcome back, Timbo!

Question, what is TS?? (I'm learning as I go!)...

A job I can't do (or don't like)... anything that involves answering the phone, typing, answering co-workers' questions, etc... at the SAME TIME... I'm not a multitasker (well, I can do alot of tasks, just "one task at a time:rolleyes::D").

Mary
06-09-08, 03:12 PM
Yes, Welcome back, Timbo!

Question, what is TS?? (I'm learning as I go!)...

A job I can't do (or don't like)... anything that involves answering the phone, typing, answering co-workers' questions, etc... at the SAME TIME... I'm not a multitasker (well, I can do alot of tasks, just "one task at a time:rolleyes::D").

Dotty.. TS is Tourettes Syndrome. We're in that section now... in this thread.

TIMBO
06-09-08, 03:49 PM
Hi Mary & Dotty,

Nice to talk to you both & thanks for the warm welcome.

I know that T.S. is still a rare condition and even though been shown live on Big Brother "AKA Pete" and other various documentaries. I feel that Everyone else suffering from Tourettes just wants to hide and not communicate!

I know this is the ADD Forum so many may not be signed up to it or even reply!

As you both being "ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate's". Do you have any clue on how many T.S. sufferers are signed up on this forum.

Thanks for listening,

Timbo.

Mary
06-09-08, 03:59 PM
Not sure of the exact numbers. An Admin, supermod or moderator may be better able to answer that question.

Hi Mary & Dotty,

Nice to talk to you both & thanks for the warm welcome.

I know that T.S. is still a rare condition and even though been shown live on Big Brother "AKA Pete" and other various documentaries. I feel that Everyone else suffering from Tourettes just wants to hide and not communicate!

I know this is the ADD Forum so many may not be signed up to it or even reply!

As you both being "ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate's". Do you have any clue on how many T.S. sufferers are signed up on this forum.

Thanks for listening,

Timbo.

Squishey
02-23-09, 08:12 PM
A job i could not do?
Nero or heart surgeon :P
But then again, when i am in an extreme state of concentration, i do not have tics...

ReneeK1980
05-26-09, 06:10 PM
A job I couldn't do would be a magazine model. At least I guess not, unless they allow heads to jerk from side to side and up and down while taking photographs :p.

zarazz
05-26-09, 07:10 PM
PA announcer, then again you will do a good job getting everyone's attention:D

ReneeK1980
05-26-09, 08:03 PM
PA announcer, then again you will do a good job getting everyone's attention:D

LOL yeah that's a good one.

doiadhd
05-30-09, 06:50 AM
I could not be a newsreader!
I tell the truth to much with no mincing!

(i don,t have T.S but I gob off a fare bit!)

oddjobace
05-30-09, 07:21 AM
Well, I've tried a few strange jobs and the worse was making tomb stones. I was half interested in the whole thing which got me into deeeep thought, and the other half totally freaked out by the whole idea of a stone for someone.

I guess, some of my work will be around forever.

nobody
06-01-09, 02:47 AM
I have Tourette's- my tics seem to change, but are mostly verbal tics and nose scrunching, blinking, face rubbing, neck flexing.
The verbal one is really horrible right now.

I like the army one someone mentioned. I could NEVER stand at attention and be quiet.

Other jobs I could never do:

a judge (I can just see the defense lawyer yelling "Objection!" and me saying "mmm" [it's like a grunting noise that almost sounds like "yup"]- that would be comical)

a surgeon of any type- "nurse, grab the scalpel while I rub my nose and jerk my neck to the left". lol

actress- that doesn't even need an explanation. lol

news reporter

funeral director

pastor

Pretty much anything that involves public speaking...
I've failed that class 3 times.. wonder why... lol

jaig18
06-01-09, 08:44 PM
I couldn't be a boot maker, too much concentration :s

What jobs could we do?!!

I reckon just artsy stuff for me :D

what does everyone else do do??

Blood-Phoenix
10-15-09, 10:50 AM
Well, I don't have TS, but I've read about it, and am interested in it.
I came to this part of the forum because I'm trying to learn more about
other conditions coexisting with ADD. But I decided to post to show support
for my fellow ADDers trying to find humor in TS (don't get me started on
the jobs I can't do).

Heres my thoughts:

A horse-track race caller.

An auctioneer (for that matter, it might be bad to be in the audience
at an auction, and have a physical tic interpretted as a bid!)

A ballet dancer

ZiggyFry
11-13-09, 01:21 AM
I could never be a marine or anything like that. When I'm nervous or stressed I twitch and grunt, and I could see myself doing that in line, getting myself in trouble :cool:

Personally I love djing because when I'm standing back there with lights flashing and music blasting, you can't tell that I'm ticcing like a madman :D

Sin.Ziggy.

Louder Than Love
11-26-09, 06:16 AM
Thats also why ive loved waiting tables. You cant be in too much of hurry. its not allowed, and you pretty much spazz out all you want.

inko
11-26-09, 02:18 PM
Well let's just say that when I worked at an air traffic controlling station, I picked up enough hints that pilots of air traffic controllers with ADD are a total taboo. Ok, I will admit that I can see why people are concerned, since these professions require concentration, multitasking skills, etc. - but on the other hand I feel discriminated against too as well. Surely there are people with ADD out there who are doing jobs that require these skills us ADDers supposedly do not have.

I just feel... discriminated against/limited and it makes me .... think. I mean saying that people with ADD should not become pilots, air traffic controllers, etc is almost like saying, people with ADD should not have children - because if things go wrong (and we all know that DOES happen, life is not a pre-packaged fairy tale one unwraps on their day of birth) people seem to think they're making a valid point when they are basically saying "hey you shouldn't have done that, you should have known you'd mess up, seeing as you have ADD and are aware that you have it". (Disregarding effectiveness of treatment/medication/whatsoever.)

I think we've all met people who felt that we were (ab)using the ADD label as an excuse (and hey maybe some of us do), well apparently the tag ADD doesn't simply 'explain', it also stigmatizes.

I'm going to sketch a simplistic situation here, since as usual I'm having a hard time expressing myself.

Basically if a non-ADDer and an ADDer were in control (as a pilot or an air traffic controller) and thus involved in a plane crash - a non ADDer would be able to walk out of that situation if it indeed wasn't his/her fault, and he/she was indeed proven innocent. However, in the exact same situation, except with an ADDer, the fact that you've been diagnosed with ADD could get you into serious trouble.

I refuse to believe there are jobs we can't do. Everyone is different. Surely somewhere at some time there was someone with ADD who did whatever 'inconceivable'/'non-ADD-compatible' profession, and did it well.

I do however believe there are professions/fields where we will be severely judged for having ADD, disregarding if ADD really negatively affects your aptitude or not.

Oomph, wall of text. Sorry about that.

ginniebean
11-26-09, 02:34 PM
I bet it would be a very short career as a prostitute. But damned funny.

atrain
12-15-09, 11:52 PM
Some ideas about what add/adhd could be a personal care service provider, nurse, or lna, or home health aide because your jobs does different things and keeps yourself busy. I could not be a teacher, teacher aide, or sales associate because it is distracting.

GIRLinterrupted
11-18-10, 11:31 AM
An internet forum administrator, true story btw. Being self conscious is one thing but taking it out on others another. I was a member of a popular site with a huge member base and some of us formed a social group with a fellow member moderator keeping us on the straight and narrow. Imagine if we didn't have a warm soul like that to keep us focused.

So a few months go by and all is going very well, the members in the group become very comfortable with one another and then from the middle of nowhere the site owner/admin enters our group. We had no control over him as his permission set trumped any attempt to keep him out. Soon after he decides to post all kinds of stuff about himself and he admitted to having very violent tendencies towards others in real life because of his Tourettes.

Then he started soliciting photos from us and later asked us to pose for him, keep in mind that none of the prior conversation was of any sexual nature and this all came as an ugly unwanted advance. The group stopped posting daily in that group and went back to generic posting in the rest of the forum and left that ugly episode to rest and to be forgotten. Until he started up again with his solicitations by private messaging. A few heated exchanges and firm statements that he look elsewhere resulted in him permabanning 45% of the active membership over the span of 4 weeks.

He in effect killed a site he paid several thousands of dollars for and then was left soliciting funds through paypal to support a site he could not comfortably afford the monthly server fee's.

It was his Tourettes that killed the site because he could not take a little humorous ribbing about something that no body was aware of until he pronounced it within that group. After he he went crazy with the mass banning it was let out of the bag.

In closing, sometimes it is best to keep things under wraps unless you have a sense of humor, this thread is proof that a sense of humor is often the only tool available to get through life's odd moments.

Thank you to the the thread creator!

GIRLinterrupted
11-20-10, 04:37 AM
humor, it's good for the soul

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp3a2zFpLxI&hd=1

Rampage1967
01-03-11, 10:56 PM
I really don't think Bomb Squad Tech would be a very good job for a guy with Tourettes & ADHD either.

Just a minute while i finish defusing this . .. .. . . . .BOOM!!!

anonymouslyadd
01-03-11, 11:27 PM
stay away from manufacturing jobs, jobs where you are doing the same thing over ane over again. The same goes for telemarketing jobs where you need to say the same thing over and over again.

AloneInthought
01-05-11, 01:09 PM
Or jobs that require you to be on shift for 10 hours straight and about 8 of them you have NOTHING TO DO!! This really lets your mind wander as I have learned. Oh and being in Afghanistan away from your wife is a NO-NO as well.... LOL