View Full Version : I worry about being a 26 year old woman

Wish
05-08-07, 02:31 PM
Because so many companies are trying to cut health care costs, many of them are trying to hire employees who aren't likely to have signficant health claims (I know like anyone can predict when they're gonna have a health problem). I worry that employers are going to try to avoid hiring women who in their 20s and 30s because they are afraid that they will get pregnant and rack up the cost of health care. Having a baby in the hospital costs thousands of dollars. Has anyone else had this fear?

Tara
05-08-07, 06:02 PM
This really shouldn't be much a concern. Health insurance costa a lot less for companies who have a majority of young employees. While child birth can cost an uninsured person a lot of money HMOs/insurance companies have deals with most hospitals.

Wish
05-08-07, 11:47 PM
A hospital stay still isn't cheap. And doctors do many more c-sections because of liability issues. So, I still worry some. For women, our health insurance is actually most expensive when we are of child bearing age.

kristin.m
05-09-07, 10:10 AM
Generally speaking, old people are much more expensive for insurance than young people.

If this helps to illustrate, I am 30 and take 2 prescription meds (strattera & lexapro). I visit the doctor/pdoc less than once a month and it's rare for me to get any tests done. My grandma is 80, goes to the doctor 2x/month, always has tests/bloodwork done, and takes at least 10 meds.

Childbirth is a drop in the bucket compared to my grandma's regular routine.

Wish
05-09-07, 09:21 PM
I see your points. I do still worry that if I'm competing for a job with a male who is around the same age as me and has a comparable background and comparable prior experience, he might be more likely to get the job if the employer is concerned about keeping health costs low.

ilikemyadd
05-25-07, 05:33 AM
It's a valid concern. Sexism still exists. As a feminist, I advocate equal rights for women. I have carried out extensive research in the area of gender in the work force. If anyone is interested I have piles of stats/sources/empirical evidence etc. to back up pretty much everything I say, haha. Women on average earn 71 cents for ever dollar the average man earns... the list goes on. I won't bore you.

I find that it is best to turn this fear into something positive. You'll drive yourself insane worrying about male competition. Instead, use your fear as motivation to work harder. Above all, CONFIDENCE is key. Men aren't the enemy here, just the system.

Sargon
05-25-07, 10:38 AM
An uncomplicated childbirth is cheap. It's the hospital stay that drives it through the roof.

Wish
06-01-07, 02:56 PM
That is true Sargon. However, there is no way to know whether a woman is going to have a high risk pregnancy.