View Full Version : Rotating Medications

dag1
05-17-07, 04:56 PM
I have been prescribed most of the ADD "stimulant" medications, at one point or another, over the past few years.

What seemed to happen with each one was that it produced , more or less, the desired results initially, but, after several months, the (subjective) benefits seemed to diminish.
So, my doctor switched me to another one and the same thing happened again.
Eventually we had gone through every one.
So, we started back at drug#1 which was probably Ritalin, and once again, it worked well until several months later.
My point is that, in my particular situation, we have found that some sort of "rotation" of these meds has been producing good results for me...
Of course, everyone is different, but I just wanted to throw this story out there in case it is of interest to anyone.
and since we are in the Desoxyn section, I just wanted to add that I only recently tried this drug for the first time.
My dr. prescribed me 10mg 2x per day....
Subjectively, I did not feel any effect at all.
But, I was being moved from taking dexedrine (Mallinkrodt) 70+ mg per day.
So, i dont know if this is a dramatic decrease in general. If anyone can offer any info on that

Edward
05-17-07, 05:05 PM
Ya I think that's a dramatic decrease,
So what is all the different doses of different medicines you've been on over the years, and how long? Like waht's your history with all these medicines including dosings and length of time you were prescribed that medicines and what kind of medicine it was?
I'm really interested 2 know

dag1
05-17-07, 05:21 PM
Basically it was the usual cast of characters. I started with ritalin.
Now, since this all started quite awhile ago, I dont remember exactly the doses from, like 7 years ago, so, I will try to give you a guesstimate of recent doses.
On the most recent go around, ritalin was about +/- 60mg....adderall, i cant remember that one, so i will guess around 40-60mg.
Dexedrine, I was as high as 90mg, but, i eventually found that about 50-60mg was best for me..
that was where I was at most recently, when I was switched to desoxyn..
I guess my dr. just wasnt thinking long and hard about it, and just wrote a script for 10mg 2x per day...
He is not a strict prescriber at all....
i just filled the rx, and didnt really pay much attention to the whole thing, and just took the 10mg 2x per day as it said to.
I guess I just figured that since it was "Methamphetamine" (ooh! baad!), that maybe 20mg was somehow in the equivalent range of 60-70mg of dex..
But, after experiencing absolutely no effect whatsoever, I started googling info, and browsed around this site as well.
Then it occured to me that I probably just went through a major decrease in meds by accident.

dag1
05-17-07, 05:32 PM
oh...one more thing i forgot to mention. Today , after not thinking much about all of this since i started on desoxyn, I took 20mg this morning and 10 mg later on in the day....Now that I have something to compare it to, I can see that I obviosly was way underdosed.
Do you know roughly the equivalent dosage of desoxyn vs dexedrine??

lars
05-17-07, 07:29 PM
Hi dag1, and welcome to the forums.

I can relate well to what you describe concerning rotating these stimulants. I have been doing that myself for many years.

I found that I usually needed a little more Desoxyn than Dexedrine to achieve the same effect. However, the Desoxyn did seem to last a little longer for me.

dag1
05-17-07, 07:43 PM
wow...interesting...I assumed that desoxyn vs dex....mg for mg, was sort of the same situation as dex vs ritalin..
some say it is something like 60mg of rit = 30-40mg of dex...
so, you are saying dex vs desoxyn is at least equal, and possibly stronger in favor of dex????

Strugglepuss
05-29-07, 05:06 PM
I've tried Ritilan (don't like it), Adderall (good at first and now it makes me want to sleep all the time), Dexadrine (too much anxiety, heart racing).

This sounds like a wonder drug for sure with very few side effects. I'm really foggy right now so I appologize if I missed this somewhere else but how does Desoxyn differ from the other players?

What chemicals or neurotransmitters does it affect differently?

Thanks,
Stacey

Matt S.
05-29-07, 06:55 PM
I have been on medications for ADHD for 22 years and as an adult I like to rotate meds because the effect that they have on me is completely individual and suits my needs at different times. I had required some heavy hitters recently during a mood fest recently that had to be max for a 2 week period and it's healthy I think to do that I know after spending a good 95% of 18 years on Dexedrine makes me not want to be on it any longer and I can't get a ritalin or concerta rx because it's considered too weak and it'd help me immensely. Some doctors see that as normal others see it as "doctor shoppingesque" my case is odd because Dexedrine is sort of archaic and most people would get laughed at for suggesting it, It effects me in a way that is similar to other people on Thorazine or Lithium and helps the bipolar part of my illness the best. Desoxyn Gradumets need to be re-introduced, in the day and age where the most common drug prescribed to adults is Adderall XR, I can't understand that

lars
05-29-07, 08:40 PM
so, you are saying dex vs desoxyn is at least equal, and possibly stronger in favor of dex????
For me that was the case.

lars
05-29-07, 08:53 PM
This sounds like a wonder drug for sure with very few side effects. I'm really foggy right now so I appologize if I missed this somewhere else but how does Desoxyn differ from the other players?Hi Stacey, and welcome to the forums. For me, Desoxyn was different from the others with respect to fewer side effects. I would suggest that you consider talking to your Dr about the possibility of trying Focalin before you try Desoxyn. I found Focalin to be a very good drug.

What chemicals or neurotransmitters does it affect differently?From what I understand, it's believed to have about the same effect with respect to neurotransmitters when compared to amphetamine. The links below detail what is currently known about the neurotransmitters that are effected.

http://exploration.vanderbilt.edu/news/news_galli.htm

http://www.rnceus.com/meth/methpharm.html

lars
05-29-07, 08:57 PM
Desoxyn Gradumets need to be re-introducedI would not hold my breath for those to be re-introduced. I sure hope I'm wrong.

If you really feel like a time released methamphetamine HCL worked best for you, then I would suggest that you consider talking to your Dr about the possibility of having a local compound pharmacy prepare you some extended release methamphetamine HCL capsules. This is a perfectly legal option in the USA as long as your Dr agrees.

Edward
05-29-07, 11:13 PM
Desoxyn Gradumets need to be re-introduced

There's evidence to suggest that this is in the works, or possibly a better delivery system then Gradumet's:

We are adding new indications or new dosage forms to several of the products that we have acquired. A special product would be Desoxyn for Attention Deficit Disorder. We are launching a new once-a-day formulation.

source (http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:-h_luN8zf9EJ:www.ovationpharma.com/press_releases.php%3Frelease_type%3Dnews%26archive _yr%3D2004+site:ovationpharma.com+desoxyn&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us&client=safari)

Although this was about 3 years ago, they could still be developing it, and yes, it's not on their pipeline website, but I know that Shire is still devepling Amphetamine patch and it's not on their pipeline website either.

Then again who knows, this is the only mention of it on the whole internet and it's been taken down from ovations site (but I remember reading it before it was taken down, I didn't have to use the google cache then).

But lars has the better idea, don't wait around for these odds, if you've got the cash (I'm assuming compounding costs some cash, maybe it doesn't though, considering that methamphetamine is probably a lot cheaper than desoxyn pills sold by ovation, and some compound pharmacies have things for cheap), then get it compounded at a compounding pharmacy, it is old hat for those pharmacists to make a gradumet type extended release desoxyn (and you could have it taylored to your dosage so you only have to take one a day and it has as much as you need).

lars
07-03-07, 10:06 AM
they could still be developing it, and yes, it's not on their pipeline website, but I know that Shire is still devepling Amphetamine patch and it's not on their pipeline website either.

Then again who knows, this is the only mention of it on the whole internet and it's been taken down from ovations site (but I remember reading it before it was taken down, I didn't have to use the google cache then).I wanted to find out for sure about this, so I called Ovation pharms yesterday, and after talking to about 5 different people I was finally directed to their manager of the "Medical Information" department for help finding an answer.

He told me that he was not familiar with anything currently in development concerning any extended-release preperations of Desoxyn, but that he would ask around to some higher ups who could confirm it one way or the other instead of giving me an answer that he was not absolutely sure of. He then asked me for my email & phone number and said he would get back to me.

Well I got an email from him this morning, and here is what he said:

"Dear Lars,

Thank you for contacting Ovation Pharmaceuticals, Inc. regarding our medication Desoxyn. I have done some digging and no one to whom Iíve spoken is aware of development plans for an extended-release formulation of Desoxyn. I hope that information helps."

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news on this. I was hoping that they would confirm that something was in the works. :(

Master Rat
08-05-07, 11:49 PM
I have found the only way my son and I can take stimulants successfully is to rotate them.

I always take 5 mg IR focalin, but I rotate my use of 10 mg ir Dex with 7.5 mg Desoxyn.

The affects are pretty interresting because Desoxyn always gives me an overwelming feeling of calm with increased mental efficiency. So if I know I will be under a lot of stress or consuming large ammounts of written material Desoxyn fits the bill.

If I want an energy boast I take the Dex with focalin. I still have extremely good thinking efficiency with this combo; however long periods of Desoxyn tend to give me a consuming dragging feeling after a while and long periods of Dex tend to give me a build up of body stress. So I switch back and forth when I notice the undesired side affects cropping up usually every 30 days like clock work. For the most part I consider this medication plan side affect free. FYI - I do not think I could take amphetamines alone long term, it speeds me up too much. The first time I tried the combo it was like a breath of fresh air or the anphetamine stress emmediately dissapated.

My son is basically on the same plan and he absolutely hates taking any form of ritalin alone. However the combo became and absolute life saver for him, because he is really out of it when not medicated. He switches back and forth because he gets too speeded up on Dex after about 1.5 months and needs desoxyn for a break. However Desoxyn stops working for him in about 1.5 months so he goes back to dex again.

I hate to say it, but with out this combo my future would be very dim. I have had nothing but success beyond all my hopes in all faccets of my life while medically controlling my ADD this way.

If you try this combo my best advice is find out what drug type you respond to best for add being ritalin type drugs or anphetamines. Use the most therapudic drug as a base and add small amounts of the other drug until you feel normal and affective. When I say small I mean it, I have been know to cut 5 mg ir focalin pills inhalf when starting my kids on this plan. Too much of the wrong drug will throw this combo out of wack and you will think it is complete garbage. Go slow and enjoy your life.

I hope it can help you too.

Tom

PS. - I thank Lars for his excellent advice, it could of taken years for me to figure out switching was the way to go. I started switching because I found med holidays produced the same affect, however during the holiday I was not very productive.