View Full Version : Bought a star Map

Johnnny
05-22-07, 01:25 PM
Last week i bought a star map for the northern hemisphere 42 degrees latitude, it was kinda neat beign able to put names to the star groupings. The easy ones to find where Ursa Major, Bootes, virgo, leo, and i could almost make out Ursa Minor. I used my eye, i cant afford a telescope. Also too if the nights clear enough venus or mars is visable.

It was kinda tough to see everything from the back bush behind my apartment cause of the city lights, and i can wait to go out of the city limits where you can actually see the Milky Way to find all the constallations :)

I find for the time being this is will be a good hobby for me, after i learn as much as i want to ill probally find another hobby:D . lol who needs a compass when you got the stars :).

I have a question has anyone else tried this for a hobby? How did you like it where did it lead you?

peace

lunaslobo
06-01-07, 06:29 AM
Last week i bought a star map for the northern hemisphere 42 degrees latitude, it was kinda neat beign able to put names to the star groupings. The easy ones to find where Ursa Major, Bootes, virgo, leo, and i could almost make out Ursa Minor. I used my eye, i cant afford a telescope. Also too if the nights clear enough venus or mars is visable.

It was kinda tough to see everything from the back bush behind my apartment cause of the city lights, and i can wait to go out of the city limits where you can actually see the Milky Way to find all the constallations :)

I find for the time being this is will be a good hobby for me, after i learn as much as i want to ill probally find another hobby:D . lol who needs a compass when you got the stars :).

I have a question has anyone else tried this for a hobby? How did you like it where did it lead you?

peace
I have never tried it for a hobby, but it sounds very cool. A good way to spend some time out in nature and just get some quiet time, something in this day and age we all lack. let me know how this goes, I may want to try it also.

acceptance
06-01-07, 08:10 AM
This sounds really cool,telescopic is something ive always been interested in.BUT...lol.. once facing it ..(the moon?)can you see the smile that forms?

with me ive seen it since i was 6.I've yet to talk to others about my experience...:rolleyes:

Johnnny
06-01-07, 03:45 PM
ive been out twice since, still not really past city limits so i cant get a good view of that milky way and the rest of the stars.

Im debating wheather or not ill buy a telescope, im already getting kinda bored cause i named almost all i can see from the city. But i wouldnt mind actually seeing jupitar, saturn and neptune with my own eyes.:) Call me a geek but that would be cool, but so is driving like a maniac jk.

There are alot of great things in the sky to view, satalites, shooting stars, northern lights, heat lightning,you can try and name the different clouds in the sky lol:faint:. I dont know im getting kind of bored again and now ill try naming all the different types of birds around me, for something to do....:), theres alot of those around anyways

Ichpuchtli
06-04-07, 05:31 AM
HUH? What? All I can pick out is o'rayn and his belt and the southern cross :D

Actully that really throws me in the northern hemisphere that I can't see the southern cross. I can always easliy see it.

acceptance
06-04-07, 05:46 AM
Hey Johnny,Ive seen so many falling stars over here...its one of the prettiest things ive witnessed ,out in the middle of australia is the best,the sky lights up like there is no tomorrow...it puts me in fairytale mode and it brings a peaceful feeling to yourself.

How clear is the nightmystics your way?

Johnnny
06-04-07, 11:55 AM
Hey Johnny,Ive seen so many falling stars over here...its one of the prettiest things ive witnessed ,out in the middle of australia is the best,the sky lights up like there is no tomorrow...it puts me in fairytale mode and it brings a peaceful feeling to yourself.

How clear is the nightmystics your way?
Shootingtars are very common here also

The good old northern lights :D. I found this picture on the net this isnt my own. Ive seen just about every colour of the northern lights and there beautiful, a true sight if you see them. I have to go beyond city limits to see them clearly.

http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/9247/nlights2iv1.jpg

This picture resembles my folks camp that i like to go to. I can see everything in the night sky from the camp. Except instead of these tree imagine 100-150 ft white pines.:D
http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/842/4233nightskyat25degreeln6.jpg

This is kinda of what the milky way looks at my end of the earth, but not the same. Except where iam its alot bluer and has more white extensions.

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/9043/aduttonmilkywayka5.jpg

And heres a internet image of the first constellation i found and its position to the North Star. But imagine Y and B being flat with the bottam of the picture and thats how i see Ursa Major.
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/966/umaumimptb1.jpg

Outside of the coty limis its nothing but the boreal forest of the canadian shield and the sky here also lights up like no tommorow. Its common for people up here to sit on there docks at night and drink a few beers to the night sky (or smoke some:eyebrow:). Im booking off time from work and hopefully the weather will be right when i go to the folks camp.

When i was younger it was possible to walk to forest at night without a flash light, cause the stars and moon could light up the ground.

I hope this gives you an idea of my little spot in the world

peace

acceptance
06-04-07, 05:07 PM
Great pictures J, theyd make a lovely wall picture. (i still cant insert a pic with my post,drivin me crazy,ive got all the info here from everyone but lol just doesnt happen)

see if you can find a site for busselton,w.a. australia...um you might find it a facinating find(i'll try and look for it too) its the most popular place for the sky to light up when lightening strikes.Apparently mobs of people travel there just to see it.:)

lunaslobo
06-05-07, 06:35 AM
Shootingtars are very common here also

The good old northern lights :D. I found this picture on the net this isnt my own. Ive seen just about every colour of the northern lights and there beautiful, a true sight if you see them. I have to go beyond city limits to see them clearly.

http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/9247/nlights2iv1.jpg

This picture resembles my folks camp that i like to go to. I can see everything in the night sky from the camp. Except instead of these tree imagine 100-150 ft white pines.:D
http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/842/4233nightskyat25degreeln6.jpg

This is kinda of what the milky way looks at my end of the earth, but not the same. Except where iam its alot bluer and has more white extensions.

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/9043/aduttonmilkywayka5.jpg

And heres a internet image of the first constellation i found and its position to the North Star. But imagine Y and B being flat with the bottam of the picture and thats how i see Ursa Major.
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/966/umaumimptb1.jpg

Outside of the coty limis its nothing but the boreal forest of the canadian shield and the sky here also lights up like no tommorow. Its common for people up here to sit on there docks at night and drink a few beers to the night sky (or smoke some:eyebrow:). Im booking off time from work and hopefully the weather will be right when i go to the folks camp.

When i was younger it was possible to walk to forest at night without a flash light, cause the stars and moon could light up the ground.

I hope this gives you an idea of my little spot in the world

peaceI hve seen the northern lights when I was stationed in north dakota in the winter. they are something there. but I bet they are even better further up north. There was one new recruit that thought that the missle he was garding was leaking some poisous gas and that was causing the northern lights really scare the u know what out of him.:eyebrow: boy i really do like all the pix