View Full Version : Are todays teachers nit picky?

cloud1
05-23-07, 11:22 PM
My daughter just finnished kindergarten, and this years teacher and last years teacher said she has problems with fine and gross motor skills. She is ahead of her class in every subject. They said she has problems getting her mind to connect with her body when asked to physically do something like hand games and games that require body motion. So they recomended me to take her to the doctor about it. I feel like maybe I made a mountain out of a mole hill. The Dr recomended she have an IQ test and ocupational therapy evaluation. She said she has is LD in motor skills and slightly ADD. I am sure these dr bills for all these test and therapy are going to be quite costly even more so if insurance won't cover them. My husband says it is all BS. Alot of my friends say to do it.

In school I never had any teacher look into my behaivor and ever little movement like these teachers have my daughter. The teacher and the Dr said she is highly intellegent, which I agree(of course):p . To me she seems normal. She does everything other kids do. She was slow to crawl and slow to walk when she was a baby but was talking really good at a vey early age.

Her teacher was very exited to hear the Dr's recomendations.Does anyone have children with these problems? Motor skill problems.I do admit I do sometimes see it.Is this a new trend with teachers(to read every movement,facial expressions) or could it be a true problem?:confused:

sorry it's such a long post

VisualImagery
05-24-07, 12:21 AM
I am a teacher who was a child with these problems-they are real and very socially devasting. I still have the problems too. only I have adapted. I am a grandmother now. It is not bs. I was known as clutz and a spaz. not fun.

FightingBoredom
05-24-07, 12:35 AM
I've heard some interesting things about how some video games help kids with "delayed" motor skill development. (I call it delayed because I think every kid moves at their own pace. It's "normal" for them but might be delayed from the norm.)

Anyway, there is a dance pad video game that you've probably seen at a Best Buy and some Donkey bongo video game that uses bongo drums as a controller. The word is the intensity of the game keeps a child focused and the physical activity associated with it help them build neural pathways that improve their motor skills.

Of course, playing soccer outside for 5 hours a week might do the same thing. If your child is interested in soccer. I guess most kids are easily persuaded to play video games and there is a benefit for some.

You might research on that. I'm all for going to the doctor and doing tests after you've done your own research. I've found that when we go in educated about something the end result is much better.
Plus, you will have a better understanding of when to challenge them on certain tests and treatments and make sure only those that are absolutely necessary are done.

Tara
05-24-07, 12:48 AM
If a teacher is picking up on this in Kindergarten or Pre-School there is a very good chance there's something up. More than likely she is standing out from the other children in the class and these teachers want what is best.

cloud1
05-24-07, 06:54 PM
The video thing sounds like a good start.They also always tell me to have her pick up small object with tweezers. I want to get these test done but my hubby is against it mainly for the cost. I need to call the insurance company and see how much if any they cover. The doctor asked my permission to lable her medical records ADHD because sometimes they won't cover motor skill related learning disabilities because the they aren't looked at enough at the schools to hinder education. I will definately read up on ways I can work with her. I guess every mother never thinks something could be wrong with their kid.:rolleyes:

VisualImagery
05-24-07, 07:04 PM
Try simple fun things too. Perhaps a non-competive sport or activity like tap or gymnastics-talk to the instructor first to make it positive though.

Make obstacle courses in the yard and run them with her doing different things. jump, roll, go left, go right, hopscotch, skip, hop on one foot, hop on two feet, and so on. Simon says kind of things too-helps with understanding simple directions-then make them more complex.

Put a colorful bandaid on her right foot and hand to help with handedness-we did that with cousin -now a doctor!

The playstation wii looks interesting-they have some games that require physical coordination to play-could be worth looking into and would not feel like therapy. I also think they may be a way to get couch potatoes exercising too!

cloud1
05-26-07, 12:35 PM
She has been taking dance and ballet since she turned 3 yrs old. She is just as graceful as any 6 year old can be. I am going to take advantage of the summer and work on her with stuff. I want her to master tying her shoes and buttons by the time school starts. I was wondering though if allergies can play a role in things like this. She has frequent nose bleeds and coughs and sneezes all the time. This has been going on since we moved from Alabama to Florida(since she was two). She takes medicine but I didn't know if maybe allergies can make kids foggy.