View Full Version : Theripist is looking into BPD...

Vhan
05-25-07, 06:53 PM
Well, went to my theripist today, and he told me that he was looking at BPD...He doesn't believe that I have MPD...apparentley, witch is leading me into all kinds of flustration, but anyway, long post short.

Can anyone offer insight into this? All I know is that I'm angry and looking for answers, and lacking a real question (isn't that a oxymoron for ya?)

Crazy~Feet
05-25-07, 07:33 PM
BPD stands for borderline personality disorder. Has he given you any reason that he believes this is what is going on with you?

Vhan
05-25-07, 09:59 PM
Apparentley he just thinks that i match up to it, according to him "I have a theory, and were gonna see were it takes us later in the session"

3 minutes later we were going over the symptoms for Borderline personality disorder...

Just for things like (you might laughf at this CF) somewere from the mix of Depression, poor self image, and self mutiliation, and the DID symptoms, and the Bipolar symptoms, and the ADD symptoms, and all the stuff pretaining to them, he is getting BPD...

Crazy~Feet
05-25-07, 10:04 PM
http://psychcentral.com/disorders/sx10.htm

The main feature of borderline personality disorder (BPD) is a pervasive pattern of instability in interpersonal relationships, self-image and emotions. People with borderline personality disorder are also usually very impulsive and occurs in most by early adulthood. The instable pattern of interacting with others has persisted for years and is usually closely related to the person's self-image and early social interactions. The pattern is present in a variety of settings (e.g., not just at work or home) and often is accompanied by a similar lability (fluctuating back and forth, sometimes in a quick manner) in a person's emotions and feelings. Relationships and the person's emotion may often be characterized as being shallow.

A person with this disorder will also often exhibit impulsive behaviors and have a majority of the following symptoms:

Frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment
A pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationships characterized by alternating between extremes of idealization and devaluation
Identity disturbance: markedly and persistently unstable self-image or sense of self
Impulsivity in at least two areas that are potentially self-damaging (e.g., spending, sex, substance abuse, reckless driving, binge eating)
Recurrent suicidal behavior, gestures, or threats, or self-mutilating behavior
Affective instability due to a marked reactivity of mood (e.g., intense episodic dysphoria, irritability, or anxiety usually lasting a few hours and only rarely more than a few days)
Chronic feelings of emptiness
Inappropriate, intense anger or difficulty controlling anger (e.g., frequent displays of temper, constant anger, recurrent physical fights)
Transient, stress-related paranoid ideation or severe dissociative symptoms
Details about Borderline Personality Disorder Symptoms

Frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment.
The perception of impending separation or rejection, or the loss of external structure, can lead to profound changes in self-image, emotion, thinking and behavior. Someone with borderline personality disorder will be very sensitive to things happening around them in their environment. They experience intense abandonment fears and inappropriate anger, even when faced with a realistic separation or when there are unavoidable changes in plans. For instance, becoming very angry with someone for being a few minutes late or having to cancel a lunch date. People with borderline personality disorder may believ that this abandonment implies that they are "bad." These abandonment fears are related to an intolerance of being alone and a need to have other people with them. Their frantic efforts to avoid abandonment may include impulsive actions such as self-mutilating or suicidal behaviors.

Unstable and intense relationships.
People with borderline personality disorder may idealize potential caregivers or lovers at the first or second meeting, demand to spend a lot of time together, and share the most intimate details early in a relationship. However, they may switch quickly from idealizing other people to devaluing them, feeling that the other person does not care enough, does not give enough, is not "there" enough. These individuals can empathize with and nurture other people, but only with the expectation that the other person will "be there" in return to meet their own needs on demand. These individuals are prone to sudden and dramatic shifts in their view of others, who may alternately be seen as beneficient supports or as cruelly punitive. Such shifts other reflect disillusionment with a caregiver whose nurturing qualities had been idealized or whose rejection or abandonment is expected.

Identity disturbance.
There are sudden and dramatic shifts in self-image, characterized by shifting goals, values and vocational aspirations. There may be suddent changes in opinions and plans about career, sexual identity, values and types of friends. These individuals may suddenly change from the role of a needy supplicant for help to a righteous avenger of past mistreatment. Although they usually have a self-image that is based on being bad or evil, individuals with borderline personality disorder may at times have feelings that they do not exist at all. Such experiences usually occur in situations in which the individual feels a lack of a meaningful relationship, nurturing and support. These individuals may show worse performance in unstructured work or school situations.

If you follow the link it will take you to the main page, treatment is on the page that follows.

meadd823
05-25-07, 11:31 PM
Wow CF that was some good information finding. Vhan does this sound like what you are going through?

Crazy~Feet
05-26-07, 12:10 AM
Wow CF that was some good information finding.Thanks :) when its somebody whom I care what happens to, I don't mess around. Vhan do you think any of this applies to you?

Vhan
05-26-07, 12:15 AM
usually very impulsive
The reason I was taken off my concerta was because I wasn't inpulsive....

The instable pattern of interacting with others has persisted for years and is usually closely related to the person's self-image and early social interactions. The pattern is present in a variety of settings (e.g., not just at work or home) and often is accompanied by a similar lability (fluctuating back and forth, sometimes in a quick manner) in a person's emotions and feelings
I can understand were the Doc is getting this idea, and I sort of have to agree....

Frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment
Allmost none at all...hmm..interesting...

Unstable and intense relationships
This is a trickey one for me, I actually go out of my way to avoid most relationships, but from what I have experienced (from my two, short relationships) I can be like that, by the first date with the second girl I ever went out with I was allready dreaming about marrying her one day (in my journal I told myself I needed to lighten up LOL)

Identity disturbance
I would say a BIG YES to this, alltough I have a set of morals that don't often change, I'm guilts of haveing all kinds of """"may suddenly change from the role of a needy supplicant for help to a righteous avenger of past mistreatment. Although they usually have a self-image that is based on being bad or evil, individuals with borderline personality disorder may at times have feelings that they do not exist at all"""

--that part...

Thx big time for the info CF, :p

Crazy~Feet
05-26-07, 12:25 AM
Any time at all Vhan :) that's one of the reasons I am here and do what I do.

Vhan
05-26-07, 04:54 PM
Its odd, because its not really like a "Ah-HA!" thing with me and BPD, I just don't see myself as haveing BPD....

so I'm still kinda lost on how my doc really thinks I have it, can't really see him eye-to-eye about this...

sloppitty-sue
05-26-07, 07:00 PM
Hi Vhan,

Its odd, because its not really like a "Ah-HA!" thing with me and BPD, I just don't see myself as haveing BPD....

so I'm still kinda lost on how my doc really thinks I have it, can't really see him eye-to-eye about this...
Just had to chime in here and say that you seem to have a very good head on your shoulders. I haven't been following "your story" - so I may be missing something - but if this doc doesn't really seem to understand you and/or if things just don't seem quite right with him/her, are you able to seek help elsewhere? I can't remember - are your parents very involved and controlling alot of this?

I just hope this doc offers you SOME SOLUTIONS to any problems you're experiencing in addition to his "observing, analyzing & evaluating" you.

Sincerely,
Sue

P.S. I apologize if this is a weird post. You are right if you guessed that this subject is pushing my buttons a little.

Vhan
05-26-07, 09:21 PM
Ok, well, on the same note as my last post, what exactley should I tell my docter the next time I see him?

Are there certian things that I need to be shure and Tell him?

Any significant information that he may be looking for?

What does BPD stem from anyway? childhood abuse? Identity problems?

I have a long history with Identity problems, always had a problem saying "This is ME!"
does the Docter need to know that?

and thanks for your imput Sue, it helped me write this

jeaniebug
05-26-07, 11:21 PM
Hey Vhan!

That is a great link CF gave you. I feel very strongly that both my ex husband and Mom are borderline, and I'm also a member of that forum, also as Jeaniebug. That forum is not for people who have BPD, but for people trying to live with sig others or family members who are BPD.

My impression, worth nothing, BTW, is that you don't seem to have BPD to me. The BPD people in my life are more narcisicistic (sp), paranoid, and insensitive. And I do feel like I have to be "walking on eggshells" around them--That's also the title of the book they recommend for dealing with BPD people.

I do see some similarities in you with my own bipolar dx, but I'm not a doctor, and can't diagnose that of course. Let us know how your doc visits go.

What is he using to dx you anyway? Have you done any testing for ADHD, bipolar etc?

Vhan
05-26-07, 11:46 PM
narcisicistic (sp), paranoid, and insensitive
I couldn't think of a better example of something compleatley oppisite of myslef! :p

And I do feel like I have to be "walking on eggshells" around them
If anything I have a walking on eggshells felling around outher people, I go out of my way to avoid conflicts unless someone really ticks me off and I think I can get away with it...

I'll bend over backward to not "hurt" anyone, or "be mean"..Its flustrateing sometimes because sometimes I just want to tell someone to GO AWAY, and LEAVE ME ALONE, but no, I just tell myself something is wrong with me, and I forse myself to talk to them and smile...

What is he using to dx you anyway? Have you done any testing for ADHD, bipolar etc?<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
I'm takeing a personality test this thursday, but prior to that No tests at all....

SpaceTraveller
05-28-07, 01:09 AM
Avoidant Personality Disorder may fit you better. Give it a look...

QueensU_girl
05-28-07, 05:22 AM
Do you "have to" have a PD? :)

LOL

I don't think you have a PD. You sound too functional, quite frankcly..

BPD is way too commonly applied to those who have mood issues and a early life trauma history and/or self-defeating/injuring behaviour (eating disorders, addictions, revictimizing rel'ps, etc).

This Doc sounds like he is trying to make your round peg fit into a square hole! (Scary.)

Unless you have KEY FEATURES like RAGE and MANIPULATION (lying, setting people up, twisting facts, paybacks, pattern of -=chronically fractured =-friendships), you likely don't have this thing.

You sound like ANXIETY issues, frankly. (e.g. fearful; walk on eggshells; avoidance; trying not to tick others off).

People with BPD seek out to tick others off... (But they don't know WHY they do this reinactment behaviour.)

PS. If he thinks you are BPD b/c of self-harming behaviours (self injury, ODs, risky behaviuors, inability to self-protect, etc), PLEASE remind him that this can happen with PTSD (an anxiety disorder), too. I resent that the BPD label gets thrust on so many just b/c the "profile" of demographics 'sorta fit'.. *Ugh*

PPS. Since you are MALE, your likelihood is statistically lower than for a female. Al

Vhan
05-28-07, 09:30 AM
Thank you SO MUCH QueensU girl, I'm just about this | | close to walking into my theripists office this friday, and letting the first words out of my mouth be "dude, you got the wrong idea"

At least I know now, that its not my imagination, that the pieces really DON"T FIT!

Unless you have KEY FEATURES like RAGE and MANIPULATION
I don't "RAGE" its a simple cocept for me, "Don't get angry" I may get flustrated, sad, or breakdown in tears, but I don't RAGE.

I can only think of one example were I was "Manipulative" I don't have a real history with it.

People with BPD seek out to tick others off... (But they don't know WHY they do this reinactment behaviour.)

Like I said before, I always feel TERRIBLEY bad, and guilty when I vent my flustration on someone thats bugging me, I don't EVER go out of my way to tick outer people off.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, I'm gonna print this out for my doc....let 'em read it.

Crazy~Feet
05-28-07, 11:43 AM
Good for you Vhan! You are certainly old enough to take a stand, and to be an active participant in your own treatment.

:cool: And I personally cannot see you fitting a BPD DX at all...I know this because I lived with one myself at one time. Very manipulative although didn't understand why, like QueensU said.

Vhan
05-28-07, 01:23 PM
Ok, so we have allready looked at the posibility of a PTSD thing, but what else out there can mimic the symptoms of BPD enoughf to make my doc think I have it? Or exactley, what if anything that I might have, in the first place...

In outher words, what are some outher possible suspects that could be leading my doc to thinking I have BPD?

anything?

Bleh, IM confuzzled

Crazy~Feet
05-28-07, 01:35 PM
From what I understand of it, to some doctors BPD is sort of a "garbage can" dignosis given to people that they are unable to accurately classify. If that is the case, then IMHO your therapist is neither very skilled nor very bright. This DX was once added to MY chart once upon a time ya know, and it was totally off-base for many of the same reasons it seems not to match up to you. ;)

If it was me and I felt like you did? I would soooooo seek a second opinion!

QueensU_girl
05-31-07, 12:38 PM
re#19 'garbage can'

And the recipient's are *usually* women. That concerns me, since you are a man. (Although i do think there are males who are missed!)

I think the therapist is a "hammer" (has heard about BPD). And "when you are a 'hammer, everything looks like a nail", as they say. (So they start seeing things they know about.)

Vhan
05-31-07, 06:54 PM
I see were you are comeing from Queens,

Fortunateley for me I took a personality test today, and tomorrow I get to see the results, but I am going to tell my theripist that I think that he has the wrong idea about me.

Crazy~Feet
05-31-07, 07:36 PM
re#19 'garbage can'

And the recipient's are *usually* women. That concerns me, since you are a man. (Although i do think there are males who are missed!)

I think the therapist is a "hammer" (has heard about BPD). And "when you are a 'hammer, everything looks like a nail", as they say. (So they start seeing things they know about.)I totally agree with this, Emma. It is concerning me, too!

I love the analogy! I will maybe use it again myself someday.

Vhan
06-01-07, 09:58 PM
Ok, my theripist isnt so Hellbent on BPD anymore, alltough he told me "I would REALLY like to put you on that diagnoisis!"

After takeing my personality test, he is takeing the posibility of D.I.D disorder a little more seriousley,

But luckely for myself, I scored low on the "BPD" scale, alltough he still is pretty enthueistic about that being my diagnoisis...

SO......Sleepy................ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz

AsmodeanForsakn
06-10-07, 11:56 AM
I know how frustrating it is when I was trying to get a referral to get assessed for ADD from my GP. He wrote a letter that I took to the hospital when I had my last breakdown in 2003 which got me admitted (eventually) with severe depression, I was there for 2 weeks then they threw me out saying I had BPD & referring me to the long-term outpatient program the hospital runs. It was really good for me & I probably do have a degree of BPD but I also am on meds for depression, as well has having high anxiety/some residual PTSD as well (unmedicated). But when my GP finally relented to refer me to the doc I went to for my ADD assessment it was plainly obvious that he did not think I had it & that I was wasting my time & the doc's time. But at least he did give me the referral

Vhan
06-10-07, 04:45 PM
Hmm.....thanks for shareing Asmodean....

BPD,
PTSD,
Etc,

I have heard my theripist throw some of those things around, but never really explained why he might think I have it....der.

Vhan
06-16-07, 10:04 PM
I read somewere that trama causes isshues with a persons ability to bond with outhers...and have meaning full relationships, and the like.

After reading that, I realized (again) that I had a isshue with this.

I know its hard to believe, but about 8 months passed before I told my Really close friends what my REAL name was.....

I have problems feeling "close" to outher people,

If someone gets to close to me, I feen the NEED to push them away because they become "threats" (this has seemed to have gotten better lateley, but I don't know when its gonna start up again)

The idea of "opening up to someone" scares the CRAP out of me....

I'll tell diffrent friends diffrent things about me, so no one person has the whole picture

I mean, are all those feeling possibley trama related?

This, FEAR (I wont call it anything less) of people who want inside??

One day my friends came up to me and asked me poing blank why I hid so much of myself, and lied about so much,

to put it simpley, my responce: I SNAPED~!

I don't want to keep snapping at my friends like that in the future.....bleh....