View Full Version : Spacemania gets a new med

Crazy~Feet
06-01-07, 01:38 PM
Spacemania has been RXed Lamictal off-label for her Bipolar II--YAY!! I say off-label because Lamictal is not generally indicated before the age of 16, but I managed to get Doc W to give it a go since it works so well for me, and Space tends to be a little Mini-Me...what generally works for me works for her and vice versa. She was also RXed Dexadrine spansules in addition...Mini-Me again :D.

I am so hopeful that this will will finally stabilize her. We have been enduring her manic episodes, which have been nearly constant, for far too long. She is driving her own self crazy and that's painful to watch, plus its just plain hard to deal with her in that state of mind.

She took her first tab of the starter pack last night before bed and will get the dex in Monday (darn pharmacy didn't have any...the jerks). We shall see how this goes and I will post here as we go along.

Crazy~Feet
06-02-07, 12:21 PM
Day 2 after second tab of Lamictal 25mgs. Still manicky and trying to convince me that she is just "hyper" :rolleyes:...not fooling me.

I cannot wait for this to work, if it is going to work at all. I wish this was a faster process :( but realize its not.

By the way this is an open thread and comments are more than welcome :).

Imnapl
06-03-07, 03:50 PM
Thanks for sharing your experience with Bipolar, especially in children.

Swede63
06-03-07, 03:59 PM
My experience with Lamictal has been nothing but positive:) Hope it works for her.
Best of Luck!

Edward
06-03-07, 04:39 PM
Hope it helps !!!!!!!!!

Crazy~Feet
06-03-07, 07:00 PM
Thanks so much for the support, guys! I know I tend to come off as pretty upbeat, but the truth is that this situation has ground me down pretty far. I am holding out a lot of hope for this medication!

Day 3: Still a little babbly but a lot slower with speech. Very hopeful about this progress!

Crazy~Feet
06-05-07, 02:35 PM
I missed a day because my computer crashed (poooooo!)...she seems to a little more down off the ceiling today. She is at home today and I will be able to observe her a little better. Also, the dexadrine seems to be working well too!

Go Spacemania! I know we can do this thing together!

lars
06-05-07, 02:42 PM
I hope things continue to get better. Thanks for the update.

Crazy~Feet
06-05-07, 02:45 PM
And thank you very much for the support :).

jeaniebug
06-05-07, 05:26 PM
I missed a day because my computer crashed (poooooo!)...she seems to a little more down off the ceiling today. She is at home today and I will be able to observe her a little better. Also, the dexadrine seems to be working well too!

Go Spacemania! I know we can do this thing together!

This is good news, CF! It can only get better from here, we are all rooting for you! :) :D ;)

Crazy~Feet
06-05-07, 05:28 PM
Thanks bunches Paula :) I am soooo glad for the support of the Cycling Team and all the others that I love here at ADDF. Sometimes I think I would be totally lost without this place!!

jeaniebug
06-08-07, 03:27 PM
Thanks bunches Paula :) I am soooo glad for the support of the Cycling Team and all the others that I love here at ADDF. Sometimes I think I would be totally lost without this place!!
Isn't that the truth! I feel the same way!! Having people to talk to and kick ideas around and discuss what is happening, is it expected, what other people have experienced, what to expect....I don't talk to anyone about my bipolar outside of this forum. It has helped me so much! I can't even imagine going though this without the support and knowledge of the people in this forum! :eek:

Well, any updates on your little "Spacemania?" And how are you doing, my dear? Looking out for carpet lint, I hope? We have a dachsund puppy "Herbie" who loves to be near (or under) feet for some reason. (He is supposed to belong to the boyfriend, but he likes it at our house). Man do I have to look where I step every time I take a step. Even more hazardous than lint, and the lint is a challenge by itself! :eyebrow: Don't even mention the chew toys, slippers and misc stuff he drags around the house to chew on. Awww, puppies....:rolleyes:

Crazy~Feet
06-08-07, 03:55 PM
Isn't that the truth! I feel the same way!! Having people to talk to and kick ideas around and discuss what is happening, is it expected, what other people have experienced, what to expect....I don't talk to anyone about my bipolar outside of this forum. It has helped me so much! I can't even imagine going though this without the support and knowledge of the people in this forum! :eek:

Well, any updates on your little "Spacemania?" And how are you doing, my dear? Looking out for carpet lint, I hope? We have a dachsund puppy "Herbie" who loves to be near (or under) feet for some reason. (He is supposed to belong to the boyfriend, but he likes it at our house). Man do I have to look where I step every time I take a step. Even more hazardous than lint, and the lint is a challenge by itself! :eyebrow: Don't even mention the chew toys, slippers and misc stuff he drags around the house to chew on. Awww, puppies....:rolleyes:Yep, ADDF is a magical place! :)

Space is still titrating up the 25 mg Lamictal and exhibits less pressured speech IMO...although its hard to say, since school is out and she spends all day on the phone anyway :rolleyes:...ahhhhh, adolescent girls!

I am hopeful but also sceptical..perhaps she shows less pressured speech because she gabs on the phone all day? :( Hard to be patient with Lamictal sometimes. I am sure everybody here who takes it, knows that, but its sooooo hard when its your own kid!

And Paula? Carpet lint is the bane of my existance many days! *giggle*

justhope
06-09-07, 10:11 AM
Crazy ...happy to hear we have yet another member on the cycling team...on the Lamictal, wish little linkie neice well for me. I can tell you wihtout my Lamictal I would have given up by now, with every thing going on in my life.

Keenan is now up to his 100mg...week 1. I can tell you I saw the subtle changes in him about the 3rd week into the 25mg and even better changes the second week of the 50's....that is when I started getting the mom kisses in the morning and the hugs back....that is when he started going for bike rides instead of tearing up my house when he was having an episode. Lamictal is one of the fastest working BPD meds out there. But for those of us that have lived with the extreme sides of our BPD kids..nothing works fast enough, except stims.

I know for me, since Keenan and I are so similar in our symptoms and reaction to meds we have been on, he has done very well on the Lamictal, just like I have. The only difference we have now in meds is I take the Risperdal for the PMDD and hypomania sleeping issues. And he takes the Seroquel since he could override the Risperdal.
There is a good chance because you have done well, she will.
Hang in there, I know you are exhausted, and I totally get where you are coming from.

Crazy~Feet
06-09-07, 10:18 AM
Thanks Hope, the whole reason I demanded Dex and Lamictal is because they work so well for me! If he had not given me the chance to speak my mind I might have cheerfully clonked him over the head with a brick :cool: but doc W is a good guy in the end.

Incidentally, she is in love with the Dex but she is titrating slowly--for a whole month at minimum dose!--in order not to destabilize her BP and well, I know that dose is simply too small.

She's a corker these days, lemme tell ya! I will tell her Auntie Hope said hey...:)

Crazy~Feet
06-12-07, 07:35 PM
Nothing much has changed, which is why I have not updated :( I am hoping for better when I titrate her up to 50mgs on Saturday.

Dex is a success as far as she is concerned; she says she can think clearly whereas on the other 2 meds I had to observe changes and she said she felt no different. She seems to need to titrate up for better effects, though.

auntchris
06-12-07, 09:20 PM
Good to hear everything is going well for you and space. Keep us informed. She sounds like a gem

justhope
06-13-07, 09:56 AM
Patience CF....the second week or so of the 50mgs you should start seeing a difference....it's not easy ...I know....

Crazy~Feet
06-25-07, 06:42 PM
I sort of allowed this thread to fall by the wayside. Space is on her 4th week of Lamictal, her second week at 50mgs. She is seldom pressured to speak anymore, although she remains an adolescent female and the phone may need to be surgically removed from her ear soon :rolleyes:...She is still manifesting some functioning on less sleep symptomatology, and I hope to be able to knock that back when she titrates up again.

No sign of a rash!

All in all, it appears to me that Lamictal might be the answer we were waiting for with this child :)...now to get her dose right and straighten out her Dexedrine amount!

Its a process...keep repeating...its a process...breathe, dammit!...its a process....

justhope
06-25-07, 11:41 PM
Very good news.

I can't tell you the huge difference in Keenan, KZ...it's like he is not even the same person. He still gets aggitated, and I could tell he was a little hypomanic yesterday, as was I , anticipating a hard therapy session. And we were both a little on the down side today as well, after the hard therapy session. Funny how he and I seem to almost cycle the same. Bipolar Siamese Twins, activate...

But I can tell you, he has been on the 100mg for a month or so now, and is doing so well. I can see him start to gear up, for what used to be a nightmare session of screaming, arguing, trashing the house, or running away literally or by drinking,,,,and then I see him catch himself, and he is able to calm himself down.
I can tell you he is the "peaceful" , leveled out version, of my son,I have only seen small glimpses of here and there over the years.

I also can tell you that adding in the increase of Seroquel from 50mg to 100mg and taking it everyday...has worked wonders for his sleep and his anxiety/aggitation levels. It's just amazing.

I hope this works out well for her as well. It's nice to actually be able to "enjoy" your child, not only because we are better and medicated, but because they are.

Hang in,,,,breath, it's okay....it's coming .....;)

Crazy~Feet
06-25-07, 11:51 PM
I'm still breathing, and I hope to continue to a ripe old age ;). I am glad to hear that Kee has adjusted and improved so much on his meds!

I have a time of it getting Space to take that Risperdal, though. She takes the Dex and the Lamictal gladly...but that Ripserdal? You'd think we had suggested she swallow a nice cup of cold poison :rolleyes: rather than a tablet that relieves her agitation. I feel like all I can do is to model for her what the APs do for me. I can really tell if I am late with that Abilify; my agitation levels just skyrocket, and she has fat issues with agitation. Yet...just let me suggest that MAYBE she might want to take her Risperdal as its prescribed and I get this :mad:.

I am considering asking the W about Abilify for her. It seems that Mini-Me has no problems accepting that she needs to take the same meds as Momma, but that one little difference, although I used to take it myself, she fights me over.

Mini-Me...to the core. If it makes no sense, she ain't doin' it. Now if only I were able to read her mind and know what made sense to an 11 year old female in this day and age...some days I feel so OLD I am sure that if I look into a mirror I will find that all my hair has gone gray overnight....what was I doing again? Oh yea...breathe, dammit!

jeaniebug
06-26-07, 03:00 PM
I have a time of it getting Space to take that Risperdal, though. She takes the Dex and the Lamictal gladly...but that Ripserdal? You'd think we had suggested she swallow a nice cup of cold poison :rolleyes: rather than a tablet that relieves her agitation.

If it makes no sense, she ain't doin' it.
CF--I hear you! I have always been that way, I will even agree with people sometimes about something I have no intention of doing. So--if it makes no sense, I ain't doin' it either! :eyebrow:

I think I resisted the bipolar dx for a long time, because I didn't want to be bipolar. Since meds turned my father into a drooling vegetable.... Not going there, no way, no how.

Of course he is bipolar I, and spent most of his adult life in a hospital. It was only after I found this site because of researching ADHD that I was able to accept that I might be bipolar, I might also have ADHD and ... I might still be OK. Thanks to the people on the forum.

I am glad the seroquel is helping Keenan, Hope. I am also glad Space is doing well on Lamictal. Like you said, her pressured speech is now "seldom." For me, the effect of Lamictal is more noticeable as a lack of something or a lack of symptoms or behaviors you are so used to, it takes a while to notice it is gone. Being so ADHD absent-minded, it's like, wha..? where..? "I am feeling happy, what the heck is up with that? I am getting things done, how did this happen? Could it possibly be related to the Lamictal?" Hmmm. . . Maybe it is! :rolleyes:

I still have ups and downs, but not the crushing depression. Now for the anxiety.... you guys have given me some ideas about treating that ... now have to convince my pdoc. I had to convince him to give me the Lamictal, and the only reason he said he doesn't prescribe it is because of the rash thing. Which seems to be a lot more rare if you titrate up slowly.

Later, peeps! ;)

justhope
06-29-07, 08:42 PM
Well good news on the Keenan front. We have succeeded in saving his life from the juvenile system's version of "kid" prison. I can tell you it's because of 5 things.

One. Medication, medication, medication. He is now up to 150mg of Lamictal, and stable for now on 100mg of Seroquel.

Two. The wonderful support team of individuals who understand these kids, their families, the juvenile system's short comings, the schools, the importance of therapy and "wrap" around systems to help everyone in the family. Without them we would have lost more than one battle.

Three. Our therapist & doctors who helped us through talking, being open using medications that worked for me, and listening to me as a parent, a person, and Keenan as a person.

Four. Education ...education, birthing advocacy for self. Forcing understanding, accountability & acceptance of "mentally" ill children and thier families.

Five. This forum and the friends I have here, who have supported me all the way.

Lamictal has given both Keenan and I a fighting chance at having the quality of life we have never known. It's been a long battle. We are not done yet. But we are steps closer to victory than I have ever hoped for.

We have to be patient for ourselves, and our kids. It's all worth it in the end. When you wake up in the middle of a horrible nightmare...and watch your child walk through it without a melt down, you walk through it wihtout a melt down..and you finally see the other side, far in the distance, but there none the less.

I can't stress to anyone more, the importance of taking our medications as a HUGE part of maintaining the ability to have a 'handle" on life with this disease. Since I don't feel the need to medicate my other children who are obvious cases of ADD/ADHD...I can happily say that I don't think that pills are the magic answer to everything, and there are people that can manage without it. But in this type of extreme case, and disease, it's not an option. And it's the major factor in why Keenan and I are still breathing and actually living today. LITERALLY.......

Crazy~Feet
06-29-07, 09:13 PM
I have to admit that the example of your life and Kee's struggle gives me additional "leverage" with Space. "There, but for the grace of Doc W and a few tablets a day, go I and go you, too, kid!".

Take the pills, take the stupid necessary medications...and you might just live, and live free. Depression is a mind-killer; I am completely incapable of counting the times I sincerely wished that I could just die, yet lacked the will and energy to actually commit suicide. Mania is insanity, and this might cause you to lose your freedom, your life as it may have been had you taken the meds you needed.

And I know we have several members here who refuse to medicate, who just LOVE to "surf the mania", who believe that bipolar is a natural state and a gift, who fight medication tooth-and-claw...and while I can be there for them, try to support them, read the posts and try with all my might to understand...I cannot relate, cannot understand fully why anybody would give into an unlucky combination of brain chemicals. Why would anybody roll over and agree that the price of mania, which is depression, is a worthy price to pay.

The risk is there. Bipolars can and do commit suicide, although I do not know the statistics on how many of us fail and pay for that failure with our lives.

For the ones who choose to fight, I am there full-on. You have all my support, all my caring and all my love. I need to give this to all of you, because it starts with me, and comes full circle in a way that others who walk the planet without this illness cannot hope to understand and while they are fortunate? I am also fortunate, because today, I took my medication and stayed stable. Space was stable. I worry for my older girls but they are grown and the decisions are now theirs. I pray that they will have the sense when the time comes to realize that this is a genetically transmitted disorder...and seek help. I pray that my youngest has escaped the possible genetic material I may or may not have passed along to her, that the illness I passed to her sisters may just pass her by. I pray a lot, for a person who cannot possibly claim to be religious.

My own Lamictal has been upped to 200mgs and I am waiting out the inevitable period of over-sedation that I go through each time I titrate up, and I hope it passes once again as it has before. I believe I feel a little better than I did. I see that Space has slowed waaaaay down on her pressured speech and hysterical ranting fits, and I am very grateful today. My thanks go out to everybody who reads and responds to this thread.

justhope
06-29-07, 10:33 PM
RIGHT ON SISTA!

I simply refuse to roll over to a disease that has ruled my life for 36 years. Has dulled my abilites to ever have a chance to become the things I wanted to when I was young enough to do them. Not that I can't now. But there are somethings you can never do again. I want to live my life doing the right things that make sense out of logic, true emotion, and common sense. Not out of the urgings of insane hypomanic episodes that lead me to anger, aggitation, stupid impulsive decisions, and exhaustion..that are followed by days of depression that makes me hate the world outside of my eyelids. That leaves me short of anything close to a productive human and nothing close to the mother I want to be, to the beautiful children I have, 1 of which is a sick as me, and 2 that are at the wonderful age of loving thier mommy like no one else in the world. And believe me that time passes too quickly, and the alternative to love from your child, is not a pretty one.

Nope...and I can tell you my path is not one that anyone wants to walk. Not because you won't ask for help. Won't admit you have a disease that you dind't cause and can't control. One that has the highest mortality rate of all mental illness but yet has the highest success rate when treated. Hell no.
If all it takes is patience, perseverance to open my mouth and ask for help, be willing to take it, and follow through on it,,,with the start and finish being something as simple as the opening of my mouth, and the insertion of a stupid pill for the rest of my life...then dammit that is what I am doing.

I can tell those that love to ride the high...for the euphoria and creativity that comes with it, the price is not worth it, and the end only comes with death. Death of who you could have been, death of relationships that are healthy, death of relationships that will never be because people can't ride the rollercoaster with you, death of stability and sanity...and often DEATH LITERALLY. Sorry that is a price that is entirely too high and not worth the short-lived high that ends in despair, seclusion, and darkness.

I never touch the edge of insanity like my son. In the briefest of minutes, perhaps hours, my thoughts strayed there. However, the knowledge that my helpless children were sleeping in the next room always kept me from staying too long.

Even as misirable as my son has been almost his entire life, I never really knew where he was in his mind. Wheather I just didn't think it was real or constant, or I was just in denial, I don't know.

But this last month of hell has shoved it in my face so literally there was no ignoring it. The fact I read it and heard it myself while he shared with his peers with no idea of an adult hearing/reading , saying it matter of factly, on the phones or MySpace...having a doctor & therapist who specializes in working with these kids tell me (which neither did lightly) he means it , or because I finally really HEARD it from my son.....I don't know..but I can tell you, it opened my eyes so far, I could see the dark bottomless pit he was about to jump in...and it became very real, and devastating for me.

This is why we must take medication. This is why I choose to continue to take my medication. This is why we really listen to our kids, and I mean what they are really saying. This is why we get help for ourselves and our families preferably before there is so much damage done, we almost lose them
This is why we don't choose to take the easy way out and ride the high wave, at the expense of everyone and everything. Or because we are afraid to proud, want want to live in denial, or we think we are in control and can beat it, or especially because we don't want to take a stupid pill .

There is not a parent alive who ever wants to know what I know now, to see what I have seen or hear what I have heard. No one ever wants to realize that the child they love with their whole being, is in so much pain they want to die. Every day of thier lives for months ...or years. There is a endless pang of hurt after you face that truth, there is an endless amount of guilt in that. And sorrow that follows that makes you understand why that dark pit seems so comforting.

If I live knowing that just one parent, or person will never have to face what I just went through with anyone they love, who loves them, or especially your own child by me sharing our story. I will have served a purpose so much greater than myself in this world. There is no higher price than letting your life or the life of your child slip away because you refuse to deal with the cards , however crappy that hand may be, that were dealt to you. Especially when there is help out there, and entirely too many people, including many here, who are living proof there is a much better way.

Crazy~Feet
06-29-07, 11:04 PM
YEA, PREACH IT SISTA!

Can ya see me waving one palm in the air now, with a funky flowered hat? LOL...

Kee's experience also reminds me that, if all goes right, Space may just have escaped the transition from childhood BP into adult BP without ever having to experience that darkest of dark places. For those who may NOT know, childhood BP is so often about mixed episodes and intense hypomania. They may not hit the bottom; in fact that first great depression is often the sign that the childhood form has blossomed into the adult form. Not to say that all children get by on mania and irritability alone! But in Space's case she was pretty much a textbook example of how childhood bipolar manifests:

"Both children and adolescents can develop bipolar disorder. It is more likely to affect the children of parents who have the illness.

Unlike many adults with bipolar disorder, whose episodes tend to be more clearly defined, children and young adolescents with the illness often experience very fast mood swings between depression and mania many times within a day.<sup>5 (http://www.nimh.nih.gov/publicat/bipolar.cfm#sup5)</sup> Children with mania are more likely to be irritable and prone to destructive tantrums than to be overly happy and elated. Mixed symptoms also are common in youths with bipolar disorder. Older adolescents who develop the illness may have more classic, adult-type episodes and symptoms.

Bipolar disorder in children and adolescents can be hard to tell apart from other problems that may occur in these age groups. For example, while irritability and aggressiveness can indicate bipolar disorder, they also can be symptoms of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, conduct disorder, oppositional defiant disorder, or other types of mental disorders more common among adults such as major depression or schizophrenia."

Whew! Is it any wonder that we, as parents who did not understand our own illnesses, would miss the signs that our children were also ill? I say no. It was rough going to be me and it has been rough going for Space to be Space...and with us both in the same house it has been rough going, period. Add to that the older sisters going in and out the doors and bringing thier own issues (and sometimes dumping them on Space and myself as they came and went), factor in a "whoopsie!" little sister who was born when I was 39 and desperately gripped by my own disorders, and really, is it any wonder that we missed things? Important things?

I say the same for anybody who has gone through lives such as we have. Its about getting better right NOW, now that you know, and puttin the past where it belongs...behind you. After DX and meds, its a whole new day. Grasp it and hold on tight to your dreams, even if some of them have passed the expiration date, you have GOT to keep on dreaming! Show these young ones how it is to take responsibility for your illness and let them see a fine example. That may speak volumes at a time when words will simply not suffice. A cycling bipolar of any age is probably disinclined to listen in any way...but they may still be able to see and to think "Hey! This can change!"...and move out of that place we try so hard to leave behind us, out into the place we all strive to be.

justhope
07-16-07, 10:05 AM
KZ, So what's the update on Space? Nothing here since 6/29/07 ....

What's the milligram now? You see any differences? I know you said the speech has slowed? Just curious to see if it worked well for her.

Keenan seems to be doing better. Having a hard time keeping him taking the Seroquel, but he even remembers to take the Lamictal with him if he is coming in late , after 9pm or if I liet him stay over someone's house?

Hope :p