View Full Version : Desoxyn...Huh?

emo537
06-02-07, 01:45 AM
I just recently started working in an Eckerd Pharmacy where I am training to become a Pharmacy Technician...It's a good job without having to earn a degree and such. I'm a college student.

I checked the CII binder at work, located on the counter near the locked controlled substance cabinet, to see what Schedule 2 drugs were there. Well, I saw lots of opiates...obviously. I saw a bunch of ADHD stimulants...obviously. And today in the pharmacy, I checked back with "The Binder" to varify something that had occured to me...Desoxyn is not there.

Interesting...

Drugs, Psychology, medicine, the brain, and brain chemistry really fascinate me and I've done a lot of my own research...just to learn. - I'm a very curious person. Well, being a fellow ADHDer, I've done a lot of research on the different medications and know about the popular ones, as well as the rare and mysterious Desoxyn.

I decided to mention something about the "missing drug" from the CII supply to one of the pharmacists that I work with. I started by telling her that I noticed there was a Schedule II drug that was not there, so she asked what it was. I told her that it's called Desoxyn and briefly explained that it's methamphetamine, a last resort ADHD stimulant medication.

Well...she hadn't heard of it! She pretty much said that it wasn't it or that it didn't exist and proceeded to name some other drug that I wasn't too farmiliar with. I quickly decided that I wasn't going to argue with her about it and that was that.

Later I looked it up in the computer because you can type in a drug and get info about it. Well, It was there, BUT there was only the general drug information that could apply to ANY drug. It even explained that at the bottom. There was actually no specific information on Desoxyn that I saw.

I haven't been working there for very long at all and don't want to come across as being a smart-*ss or know-it-all, but do have the urge to question the other pharmacists about it...

I know more about the illegal drugs and controlled substances than much else and this knowledge of mine hasn't come into play that much since I've started. I'm sort of afraid of seeming to be overly interested in drugs...especially the restricted ones...

eric

ventyourpain2k5
06-02-07, 07:58 AM
Ask your doctor to prescribe Desoxyn and then take it to Eckerd Pharmacy to fill it.

emo537
06-02-07, 01:06 PM
hehe...I had the thought of printing out the prescribing information sheet...but i dunno about that..

lars
06-02-07, 01:13 PM
Ask your doctor to prescribe Desoxyn and then take it to Eckerd Pharmacy to fill it.Some pharmacies refues to carry, or special order Desoxyn. I suspect Eckerd may just be one of those pharmacies.

speedo
06-02-07, 02:28 PM
It might not be listed in schedule two because desoxin is a DEA schedule one drug.

Me :D

I just recently started working in an Eckerd Pharmacy where I am training to become a Pharmacy Technician...It's a good job without having to earn a degree and such. I'm a college student.

I checked the CII binder at work, located on the counter near the locked controlled substance cabinet, to see what Schedule 2 drugs were there. Well, I saw lots of opiates...obviously. I saw a bunch of ADHD stimulants...obviously. And today in the pharmacy, I checked back with "The Binder" to varify something that had occured to me...Desoxyn is not there.

Interesting...

Drugs, Psychology, medicine, the brain, and brain chemistry really fascinate me and I've done a lot of my own research...just to learn. - I'm a very curious person. Well, being a fellow ADHDer, I've done a lot of research on the different medications and know about the popular ones, as well as the rare and mysterious Desoxyn.

I decided to mention something about the "missing drug" from the CII supply to one of the pharmacists that I work with. I started by telling her that I noticed there was a Schedule II drug that was not there, so she asked what it was. I told her that it's called Desoxyn and briefly explained that it's methamphetamine, a last resort ADHD stimulant medication.

Well...she hadn't heard of it! She pretty much said that it wasn't it or that it didn't exist and proceeded to name some other drug that I wasn't too farmiliar with. I quickly decided that I wasn't going to argue with her about it and that was that.

Later I looked it up in the computer because you can type in a drug and get info about it. Well, It was there, BUT there was only the general drug information that could apply to ANY drug. It even explained that at the bottom. There was actually no specific information on Desoxyn that I saw.

I haven't been working there for very long at all and don't want to come across as being a smart-*ss or know-it-all, but do have the urge to question the other pharmacists about it...

I know more about the illegal drugs and controlled substances than much else and this knowledge of mine hasn't come into play that much since I've started. I'm sort of afraid of seeming to be overly interested in drugs...especially the restricted ones...

eric

lars
06-02-07, 02:30 PM
It might not be listed in schedule two because desoxin is a DEA schedule one drug.Desoxyn is a schedule II, and the illegal street meth is a schedule I.

emo537
06-03-07, 11:17 AM
Yeah Lars, that's what I was thinking.

Edward
06-03-07, 01:07 PM

Interesting...

eric

I'd guess that on the order of .1% of the ADHD market is prescribed Desoxyn, I bet your pharmacy doesn't carry every other drug prescribable.

qinkin
06-04-07, 01:38 PM
a last resort ADHD stimulant medication that is somewhat insane . . .

Desoxyn has less side affects than adderall! Plus somewhat easier to sleep, while during a fully active dosage of Desoxyn, but w/ adderall this is sometimes more difficult (maybe, depends on familiarity w/taking stimulants in general, though). )

lars
06-04-07, 02:07 PM
that is somewhat insane . . .I agree, however it's been my experience that insanity often goes hand in hand with ignorance. Drug ignorance in this case, which very often fuels the fire of drug hysteria.

Desoxyn has less side affects than adderall!I agree, in fact I found it to have less side effects than any of the other stimulant drugs.

ventyourpain2k5
06-04-07, 03:47 PM
Methamphetamine is Sched II only. I found the complete list DEA website.

lars
06-04-07, 04:14 PM
Methamphetamine is Sched II only. I found the complete list DEA website.That's interesting. From looking at their list, it looks like crack cocaine is now a schedule II as well. I wish I could understand their logic in doing that with street meth & crack, but not with other less dangerous schedule I drugs like cannabis for example.

Thanks for the update! ;)

ventyourpain2k5
06-04-07, 07:27 PM
That's interesting. From looking at their list, it looks like crack cocaine is now a schedule II as well. I wish I could understand their logic in doing that with street meth & crack, but not with other less dangerous schedule I drugs like cannabis for example.

Thanks for the update! ;)I don't think anyone will ever be able to understand the logic of the US government. They scheduled GHB twice because they feel narcoleptics are somehow not humans?

emo537
06-04-07, 09:35 PM
I don't think anyone will ever be able to understand the logic of the US government.

True, true...

qinkin
06-06-07, 05:13 PM
hey! cannibis (THC) is in pure form in this drug, actually Lars.

http://www.marinol.com/

to help appetite, probably, but also MARINOL to treat nausea and vomiting
Dronabinol is a synthetic version of a naturally occurring compound- knowable as
delta-9-THC (delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol this drug is legal

lars
06-06-07, 05:19 PM
hey! cannibis (THC) is in pure form in this drug, actually Lars.

http://www.marinol.com/

to help appetite, probably, but also
this drug is legalA yeah. I'm familiar with Marinol. It was rescheduled a couple of years ago from a II to a III which should allow for more off label uses for this drug. In fact I read somewhere that some Dr's & patients had found success using it for treatment resistant depression, but I doubt that there is any clinical evidence yet to support that.

Here is another one that is legal: http://www.pharmaceuticals.mallinckrodt.com/Products/Product.asp?UT=8&BusinessUnitID=1&ProductID=5498

PS If that link fails to work, then just go to Mallinckrodts home page, and from there click on products, and from their click on the link to Cocaine Hydrochloride. Here's the link to their homepage: http://pharmaceuticals.mallinckrodt.com/

qinkin
06-06-07, 05:59 PM
as for strange meds that treat many things -= risperdal (atypical_ schizo/ADD/Depression/autism

am currently on this drug and not a single one more. . parents wish this, but taking Desoxyn along w/this feels like a good idea . . . have another appointment in 'bouts a month