View Full Version : Exams

HoneyFunnyBunny
06-03-07, 01:29 PM
Hi,

I'm from the UK (if anyone else is!?) and am studying for my A level exams on wednesday and some after that. Well, I'm supposed to be studying. I got diagnosed with ADD, and it was flagged on my test that one of the biggest difficulties I had was with memory and recall. Anyway, I had a sort of burst of concentration on thursday (i've been on concerta xl 36mg since about monday of that week, newly diagnosed) and did loads of work, and started to feel really optimistic about the exams, as I've been experiencing severe depression for the last few months partially due to my constant anxiety about it. But now I'm completely in the wilderness, and I'm dreading messing up yet again. I'm retaking my second year after failing all bar one of my subjects (english, which I want to do at university and got a top A for), but I'm struggling to revise properly and haven't entered my coursework for another subject, and I'm absolutely dreading what I know is about to be yet another failure. I've had one exam so far, about a week and a half ago and I completely flopped it. I froze in the exam and felt completely sick, managed to write about half a page and basically came out of it in a daze. I'm completely despairing about this since I don't really have another shot at getting it right. It just kills, because I understand all the work and I feel like I should ace it but it's such a struggle to get on with. I don't really know what I'm asking... has anyone else felt like this?

timepass
06-03-07, 02:51 PM
Hello there.I am based in London and I am doing Maths A level as a mature student.I understand completely where you are coming from.I was diagnosed last year.I only started medication,which in my case was Dexamphetamine in March.Somedays I am a fantastic student,whereas on other days,i freeze.

ADD is a lot about deficit in executive functions.Poor working memory has a lot to do with poor recall of learned material.There is a lot of in depth information on this site.Please look through thoroughly,there are a lot of well informed people.

I take your point about freezing in the exam room.I mucked up my Maths C2 module as I was very anxious.My time management skills in exams are ridiculous.You obviously are very bright.If it does not look possible that you are going to make your offer,could you not ask the university that you want to go to to defer your offer?Your diagnosis is recent and explains why you are retaking your second year.

Regards

Sum

HoneyFunnyBunny
06-03-07, 03:12 PM
My time management skills in exams are ridiculous.You obviously are very bright.If it does not look possible that you are going to make your offer,could you not ask the university that you want to go to to defer your offer?Your diagnosis is recent and explains why you are retaking your second year.

Regards

Sum

Yah, mine too! I don't have an offer yet, the plan was to do the retakes then apply (as due to partly to my disorganisation and other factors I didn't last year) this september. My worry is that if I muck up this time then I kind of find it difficult to see how I can get good offers? It's all fairly scary at the moment... just out of interest, how are you coping with it? Do you worry about your difficulties a lot, or just try to get on with it? I think the ADD is a problem for me personally, but the accompanying neuroses and my depressive tendencies kind of get in the way of me tackling it head on.

boone1
06-03-07, 03:57 PM
Hi, I live near London. Im doing my GCSE's at the moment and I need all above c's and at least one b to get into the college I want. I am terrible at revising and Ive got my maths tomorrow AHHHH!

Do you get any special accomodations for your exams? I get to sit in my own room and I get extra time.

Anyway I know what your going through lol good luck with your A levels.

timepass
06-03-07, 04:47 PM
I take your point about anxiety.I think anxiety,obsessive compulsive,indecision are unhealthy adjuncts to ADHD.When I mucked up my maths C2 module,I kept on checking a calculation over and over again.The total marks for that particular sub question was 3!I got so involved with checking that it threw me for the rest of the paper.Also,a lot of times I doubt whether I have the right answer,and guess what I do have the right answer.

Disorganization and complacency are the real killers.It is 9.45 pm on sunday,and I have a statistics exam on tuesday.I have done about 7 hours of work today.The work was slow!

How about if you did your exams and if the grades were not what you wanted,declining them.My offer asks for a grade A.Considering,I screwed up one module,I need to be on the ball for the next 4 modules.At least,90% in each.It is a tough ask,however I am going to give it my best.

I went to a yoga class yesterday to try to get to grips with my anxiety,it worked to an extent.I forgot to go before yesterday!!Also I went for a short run after my first post to you.

I will be in touch.I will post some links and names of books that have helped me.In the meantime,all the best.Keep in touch.I have to get on and do an hour of stats before bed.

Sum

Edward
06-03-07, 06:14 PM
Hi,

I'm from the UK (if anyone else is!?) and am studying for my A level exams on wednesday and some after that. Well, I'm supposed to be studying. I got diagnosed with ADD, and it was flagged on my test that one of the biggest difficulties I had was with memory and recall. Anyway, I had a sort of burst of concentration on thursday (i've been on concerta xl 36mg since about monday of that week, newly diagnosed) and did loads of work, and started to feel really optimistic about the exams, as I've been experiencing severe depression for the last few months partially due to my constant anxiety about it. But now I'm completely in the wilderness, and I'm dreading messing up yet again. I'm retaking my second year after failing all bar one of my subjects (english, which I want to do at university and got a top A for), but I'm struggling to revise properly and haven't entered my coursework for another subject, and I'm absolutely dreading what I know is about to be yet another failure. I've had one exam so far, about a week and a half ago and I completely flopped it. I froze in the exam and felt completely sick, managed to write about half a page and basically came out of it in a daze. I'm completely despairing about this since I don't really have another shot at getting it right. It just kills, because I understand all the work and I feel like I should ace it but it's such a struggle to get on with. I don't really know what I'm asking... has anyone else felt like this?

The first grades always hurt the most for me, as the term progresses for me I find that I get to know the class environment and the teachers style, what they didn't explicitly say they are looking for, etc.; and 80% of the time I probably do better on every assignment and examination compared to the one that came right before it.

OMG LOL I jsut realized all you guys speak with accents!

Paws13
06-03-07, 06:19 PM
I'm not from UK, or near it (unlike most of the above posters), but I'm taking my exams starting Thursday, and end next Monday x___x. 6 exams; english, environmental science, geometry, religion, history, and spanish.

I don't usually do too well on my exams. I have a bad tendancy to rush (even with untimed exams). Usually because I don't want to miss break, and my brain starts to FRY. By the time I'm finished, going at my pace, break's over and it's time for the next exam. But this semester, I'm taking my time and taking advantage of untimed exams. I'll get my break for 2 months :p

boone1
06-04-07, 05:01 PM
OMG LOL I jsut realized all you guys speak with accents!
lol, actually... your the one with the accent! :D

Paws, I rush too, I tried not to rush today in my maths exam and ended up finishing an hour early :rolleyes: oops.