View Full Version : Anybody else diagnosed with BP and an eating disorder?

Wish
06-04-07, 10:25 PM
Hi there. I am a recovered anorexic. I also have adhd and bipolar ii. I was wondering if anyone else has been diagnosed with an eating disorder and bipolar?

bettyboop92
08-07-07, 03:49 PM
Hi- I have BPII rapid cycling, ADHD, and an eating disorder. Yes, I do understand where you are coming from. The ADHD diagnosis was just recent for me, though I knew something was missing and wrong with me, especially since I wasn't able to focus from way back as a child.

I am a 37 year old mom of two little boys- 7&8 years old. My DH and I've been married for 15 years this fall, which now after thinking about it- is really cool! We actually have been together for a longer time.

Do you have a hard time dealing with the diagnosis'? I do. My mom has problems accepting my illness'. She is not aware of the ADHD illness and I don't know if I should ever disclose of it to her since she has a problem accepting the BP one, though she almost can choke down the fact that I have an eating disorder over the BP one.
I was in treatment back in the 80's for my ED, and to this day still am in therapy. I take Wellbutrin, Abilify, and Topamax for the ED/bulimia/Bipolar, along with Ritalin for ADHD and Buspar/Lorezephan for anxiety. I feel like some days all I do is swallow pills.

One of my boys also has ADHD. Now that I've been dx'd, I understand why he has problems eating as the Ritalin has really vamped my appetite. It has not declined my weight any though due to the Abilify that I take for BP. I gained 35 pounds due to the Abilify a few years ago. It was awful and it messed up my metabolism completely. Right now, I weigh more than I actually should for my weight bracket. That is hard to deal with- but I try to view the fact that I'm not in a non-healthy state anymore.

How are you doing? Are you holding up with your ED okay? Do you take medications for it as well? Are you also in therapy?

Hope all is well for you.

Bettyboop