06-05-07, 03:14 PM
i tryed drinking water
i tryed juices
i tryed gatoradie
i tryed tea
i tryed crystal lights

nothing works

now i drink diet coke and coke zero atleast that helps some

but i have to drink one in morning one in middle of day and one in aftertoon and one at night or maybe more it depends

FightingBoredom
06-05-07, 03:20 PM
Why are you drinking it? For the caffeine?

lars
06-05-07, 03:20 PM
I can relate to this very well. For me it was not regular Coke, but rather Coke Zero. I used to drink 5 to 8 a day on average.

Drinking more water helped me much, but another thing that helped me very much was drinking diet green tea. It does not matter the brand for me, as long as it is sugar free. The green tea has a little bit more caffiene in it than the soda (not much more), and I think that may have something to do with it helping satisfy my urges for more Coke Zero.

I recently just started drinking the diet Nestea green teas because they are cheaper than the flavored waters I was enjoying. I like the diet peach green tea. Over the years I have always enjoyed brewing a nice cup of green tea, but it was always more like a cup of coffee IMO. It seems that when I brew it at home, I usually end up with more caffiene in the final product than what I get in these prebottled green teas that usually are made from a green tea concentrate.

PS One thing you might want to consider also is that all carbonated sodas contain calcium-leaching phosphoric acid. I think more women should be made aware of this risk due to the fact that all women need to be aware of everything that has an impact on the calcium in their body. Calcium is important for men too, but it's much more important for women. Food for thought. ;)

Guest1
06-05-07, 03:31 PM
i have no cause just to drink itWhy are you drinking it? For the caffeine?

Guest1
06-05-07, 03:39 PM
i dont have the motivation how do u get the motivation to stop my self willing sucksI can relate to this very well. For me it was not regular Coke, but rather Coke Zero. I used to drink 5 to 8 a day on average.

Drinking more water helped me much, but another thing that helped me very much was drinking diet green tea. It does not matter the brand for me, as long as it is sugar free. The green tea has a little bit more caffiene in it than the soda (not much more), and I think that may have something to do with it helping satisfy my urges for more Coke Zero.

I recently just started drinking the diet Nestea green teas because they are cheaper than the flavored waters I was enjoying. I like the diet peach green tea. Over the years I have always enjoyed brewing a nice cup of green tea, but it was always more like a cup of coffee IMO. It seems that when I brew it at home, I usually end up with more caffiene in the final product than what I get in these prebottled green teas that usually are made from a green tea concentrate.

PS One thing you might want to consider also is that all carbonated sodas contain calcium-leaching phosphoric acid. I think more women should be made aware of this risk due to the fact that all women need to be aware of everything that has an impact on the calcium in their body. Calcium is important for men too, but it's much more important for women. Food for thought. ;)

jennyjay
06-05-07, 03:41 PM
I LOVE my coke!!! Regular full flavor please! I can not stand Pepsi. This is not an easy thing to get over....

Guest1
06-05-07, 03:55 PM
i hate pepsi to and is hard tell me about itI LOVE my coke!!! Regular full flavor please! I can not stand Pepsi. This is not an easy thing to get over....

lars
06-05-07, 04:08 PM
i dont have the motivation how do u get the motivation to stop
That's a very good question.

The only motivation I know is desire. Someone once said, that "people claim that motivation does not last, but neither does bathing. That's why it's recommended daily." ;)

FightingBoredom
06-05-07, 04:36 PM
I've also heard that motivation comes from action. That most people think it's the reverse.

You have to stop drinking it COLD TURKEY to get motivated to stay off it.

Don't substitute something else for it. You'll just go back to Coke eventually.
Give it up and expect the next 3 days to be a surrealistic nightmare while your body revolts against your choice.

After that you just take it one day at a time. Figure out a reward system that will work for you. For example, every time you WANT to drink a coke but don't put a dollar in a jar. At the end of the month take the $250 and buy yourself something cool like an iPod. (No, NOT a case of coke!)

Scuter Puter
06-08-07, 10:56 PM
ACK...tooth decay city.

I was addicted to diet coke something awful. I would drink 12-24 cans a day. Literally. I kept wondering though why I kept getting cavities...and I was getting them fast too. I brushed my teeth several times a day, used flouride toothpaste, and a flouride mouthwash. The dentist said I had the cleanest mouth he had ever seen, so we couldn't understand why I was still having decay in my mouth. After researching, we found out it was the cokes I had been drinking. The citric acid in coke was eating away at my teeth, think about it, coke will eat corrosion off a battery! So after about $2000 in dental bills, I gave up smoking and drinking cokes. All I drink now is Crystal light. Too dog gone scared of any more tooth decay lol. Believe me, after having 3 back teeth pulled because of severe decay from coke drinking, it was enough to make me quit.

(Small fact, every sip of coke/pepsi like product takes 30 minutes for your teeth to recover, neat little fact from my sister - shes a dental hygienist)

ProcrastN8R2
06-08-07, 11:16 PM
I was a Diet Coke addict - I drank at least 100 ounces a day, all day long, from breakfast until bedtime.

I quit cold turkey almost a year ago. The first two days were horrible and then after that I was fine.

The best part? I lost 5 pounds in 10 days. I am not sure why, since I was drinking diet pop to begin with. My theory is that it must have been because of the sodium in the pop.

All my friends at work were astonished, since my capacity for Diet Coke was legendary! All of them said "Now we will see if it was all that caffeine that made you so hyper!" Hahaha, I laughed along with them, thinking to myself, if you only knew that the caffeine has nothing to do with it.

However, I didn't actually quit caffeine, just pop. I have been enjoying all the new iced coffee drinks that are available these days - Burger King and McDonald's both have good ones. But, I don't drink anywhere near as much coffee as I did Diet Coke, so even accounting for the fact that coffee has more caffeine in it than the Diet Coke does, I am still getting much less caffeine than I used to.

I'm glad I quit. It's not healthy to drink as much as I was. Now I don't even like the smell of it. I actually enjoy a glass of ice water.

Go ahead and quit. You can do it!

bumblebe
06-08-07, 11:41 PM
ACK...tooth decay city.

I was addicted to diet coke something awful. I would drink 12-24 cans a day. Literally. I kept wondering though why I kept getting cavities...and I was getting them fast too. I brushed my teeth several times a day, used flouride toothpaste, and a flouride mouthwash. The dentist said I had the cleanest mouth he had ever seen, so we couldn't understand why I was still having decay in my mouth. After researching, we found out it was the cokes I had been drinking. The citric acid in coke was eating away at my teeth, think about it, coke will eat corrosion off a battery! So after about $2000 in dental bills, I gave up smoking and drinking cokes. All I drink now is Crystal light. Too dog gone scared of any more tooth decay lol. Believe me, after having 3 back teeth pulled because of severe decay from coke drinking, it was enough to make me quit.

(Small fact, every sip of coke/pepsi like product takes 30 minutes for your teeth to recover, neat little fact from my sister - shes a dental hygienist)

AHHHH! Thats all I needed to hear! No more diet soda for me! WOW! Thanks!

maryam
07-24-07, 10:07 AM
It's actually an addiction to either the sugar or caffeine. Are you on any ADD medications? It sounds like you're unintentionally self-medicating with the cola, if you need it to concentrate.

The phosphoric acid in colas are BRUTAL to your teeth and bone health. Bumblebe's experiences are NOT unique.

bluecow
08-13-07, 08:53 AM
Before I started on concerta I used to many cans of diet coke a day. I now find that I only drink it when it is fading at about five in the evening. This gets me through the evening routine with the kids.

Since being on meds I have also found I smoke less. BONUS!

Master Rat
08-16-07, 02:58 AM
I use to self medicate with coke until I got to 285 LBS. My doc said loose the weight or stroke out in 10 years, so I lost 55 lbs and kept it off ever since. I switched my medication to coffee and would really be productive when drinking it, I also drank a lot of green tea for the same reason. The end of the story is I was forced to live healthy, which means drinking lots of water and eating right. It is the best thing that ever happenned to me besides being placed on stimulants.

If you do decide to go cold turkey. I have found about on the third day, if you take just a sip of coke that pounding headache will dissappear. Hopefully for good.

There is a reason Buffet invests in coke.

Good Luck,

Tom

SandydeADD
08-17-07, 07:01 AM
i used to drink coke all the time too but now i'm obsessed with iced tea. i make it myself too which means i can use less suger then the suger content found in the commercial Tipton Iced Tea and other iced tea products. Saves me money and means that i am much healthier!

lunaslobo
08-19-07, 08:12 AM
I was going to say I drink a 12 pack a week of diet coke but that would be so off the mark. that is not taking into consideration the diet cokes I buy at work or when i am out and about in town, so I would have to say it is more than a case a week. It is really not the diet coke a I am addicted to it is the caffeene. besides the diet cokes I drink way to much cofee, at least two to three 20 oz cups every morning.

terrible-syd
10-15-07, 08:48 PM
Hey!

I just put basically the same message into another forum or topic somewhere..

I drink Coca Cola like mad! I don't know why (sugar? caffeine?) but when I think about it or see the label, I want to drink it.

The BEST substitute I have found is 50% apple juice, 50% club soda.

It's refreshingly junky tasting like Coke, and it contains real sugar.

But it is less evil!

Try it! I like it so much. Fill a glass 1/2-way with club soda... top it up with apple juice. It's healthier but it's SO good!

I feel your pain, girl. Coke is evil. Why is it so good? It's EVIL!

Guest1
10-15-07, 10:07 PM
so trueThat's a very good question.

The only motivation I know is desire. Someone once said, that "people claim that motivation does not last, but neither does bathing. That's why it's recommended daily." ;)

Guest1
10-15-07, 10:08 PM
i tried to stop cold turkey was crazyI've also heard that motivation comes from action. That most people think it's the reverse.

You have to stop drinking it COLD TURKEY to get motivated to stay off it.

Don't substitute something else for it. You'll just go back to Coke eventually.
Give it up and expect the next 3 days to be a surrealistic nightmare while your body revolts against your choice.

After that you just take it one day at a time. Figure out a reward system that will work for you. For example, every time you WANT to drink a coke but don't put a dollar in a jar. At the end of the month take the $250 and buy yourself something cool like an iPod. (No, NOT a case of coke!)

Guest1
10-15-07, 10:09 PM
i have tons of cavityACK...tooth decay city.

Guest1
10-15-07, 10:12 PM
thats awesomeI was a Diet Coke addict - I drank at least 100 ounces a day, all day long, from breakfast until bedtime.

I quit cold turkey almost a year ago. The first two days were horrible and then after that I was fine.

The best part? I lost 5 pounds in 10 days. I am not sure why, since I was drinking diet pop to begin with. My theory is that it must have been because of the sodium in the pop.

All my friends at work were astonished, since my capacity for Diet Coke was legendary! All of them said "Now we will see if it was all that caffeine that made you so hyper!" Hahaha, I laughed along with them, thinking to myself, if you only knew that the caffeine has nothing to do with it.

However, I didn't actually quit caffeine, just pop. I have been enjoying all the new iced coffee drinks that are available these days - Burger King and McDonald's both have good ones. But, I don't drink anywhere near as much coffee as I did Diet Coke, so even accounting for the fact that coffee has more caffeine in it than the Diet Coke does, I am still getting much less caffeine than I used to.

I'm glad I quit. It's not healthy to drink as much as I was. Now I don't even like the smell of it. I actually enjoy a glass of ice water.

Go ahead and quit. You can do it!

Guest1
10-15-07, 10:13 PM
that scared me toAHHHH! Thats all I needed to hear! No more diet soda for me! WOW! Thanks!

Guest1
10-15-07, 10:13 PM
i know now im scaredIt's actually an addiction to either the sugar or caffeine. Are you on any ADD medications? It sounds like you're unintentionally self-medicating with the cola, if you need it to concentrate.

The phosphoric acid in colas are BRUTAL to your teeth and bone health. Bumblebe's experiences are NOT unique.

Guest1
10-15-07, 10:17 PM
whoa thats goodBefore I started on concerta I used to many cans of diet coke a day. I now find that I only drink it when it is fading at about five in the evening. This gets me through the evening routine with the kids.

Since being on meds I have also found I smoke less. BONUS!

Guest1
10-15-07, 10:18 PM
thats alot weightI use to self medicate with coke until I got to 285 LBS. My doc said loose the weight or stroke out in 10 years, so I lost 55 lbs and kept it off ever since. I switched my medication to coffee and would really be productive when drinking it, I also drank a lot of green tea for the same reason. The end of the story is I was forced to live healthy, which means drinking lots of water and eating right. It is the best thing that ever happenned to me besides being placed on stimulants.

If you do decide to go cold turkey. I have found about on the third day, if you take just a sip of coke that pounding headache will dissappear. Hopefully for good.

There is a reason Buffet invests in coke.

Good Luck,

Tom

Guest1
10-15-07, 10:18 PM
i wished i liked tea i dont like it it sucksi used to drink coke all the time too but now i'm obsessed with iced tea. i make it myself too which means i can use less suger then the suger content found in the commercial Tipton Iced Tea and other iced tea products. Saves me money and means that i am much healthier!

Guest1
10-15-07, 10:22 PM
whoa i thought i was badI was going to say I drink a 12 pack a week of diet coke but that would be so off the mark. that is not taking into consideration the diet cokes I buy at work or when i am out and about in town, so I would have to say it is more than a case a week. It is really not the diet coke a I am addicted to it is the caffeene. besides the diet cokes I drink way to much cofee, at least two to three 20 oz cups every morning.

Guest1
10-15-07, 10:23 PM
ill try that thanksHey!

I just put basically the same message into another forum or topic somewhere..

I drink Coca Cola like mad! I don't know why (sugar? caffeine?) but when I think about it or see the label, I want to drink it.

The BEST substitute I have found is 50% apple juice, 50% club soda.

It's refreshingly junky tasting like Coke, and it contains real sugar.

But it is less evil!

Try it! I like it so much. Fill a glass 1/2-way with club soda... top it up with apple juice. It's healthier but it's SO good!

I feel your pain, girl. Coke is evil. Why is it so good? It's EVIL!

Guest1
10-17-07, 11:15 PM
i drank one coke all day today i well drink one all day then cut it off cold turkey what you think?

Skully
10-18-07, 06:36 PM
I am the same way, only with diet pepsi. I just can't stop drinking it and I know how bad it is for me!

aloha1983
02-14-08, 06:31 AM
Yeah when I was doing my teaching prac I was exhausted. I found a coke was the only thing that woke me up first thing in the morning as I don't like coffee. Are there any other ways you can get caffeine that are tasty and don't erode your teeth?

Brakna
02-15-08, 12:51 PM
I think a lot of us on here have caffeine-based addictions. I'm addicted to coffee and drink too much of it. :(

Ethereal
03-01-08, 05:23 AM
My teeth are destroyed from a combination of bulimia and 4 years drinking litres of diet coke a day. I decided to kick the diet coke habit, and quit cold turkey. It was hard the first weeks, headaches from lack of caffeine etc, but now, 2 months later, I drink almost nothing but water. I reward myself with some diet coke once in a while, but I'm able to drink just a small bottle, and nothing more.

wackyvorlon
05-06-08, 03:58 AM
I live on coke as well. About four 710ml bottles a day on average. It's a lot of calories, and my teeth are showing the wear. It's a nightmare trying to switch to something else, though. I find the flavour of anything else to be terrible. I find water to be nearly intolerable.

Teedrum
05-06-08, 12:22 PM
its nothing for me to go threw 2 liters of diet coke in a 10 hour shift at work

amg7613
05-09-08, 12:27 PM
I used to be a Diet Coke FIEND...drank as many as I could possibly get my hands on!!!! Being on Adderall though, I switched to caffeine free diet coke because I started to get what felt like heart palpitations. I have not noticed a difference...or any withdrawl...since I made the switch. I still do drink regular diet coke, but not nearly as often.

greatdanish
05-16-08, 03:06 PM
I'm so glad I'm not the only one like this!!! My boyfriend doesn't understand why I couldn't just give up soda. I don't know what it is about it (my soda of choice is pepsi, but really anything would do that isn't diet). I think in the past I was unknowingly self-medicating with it and energy drinks. I didn't connect the two until recently. But it was nothing for me to drink 2-3 two liters a day. From the minute I woke up til the time I went to bed that's all I would drink. No water, no juice, just soda. I too had ton's of dental work done (it was a combo of bulimia and soda that caused the decay) and I worked for a dentist and still couldn't stop drinking soda! I've only been on Adderall for about 2 months now, and tried to quit drinking soda again about a week-week and a half ago. I'm finding it a lot easier this time around. Before I'd quit and make it through the caffeine headaches (which are brutal!) and then take one sip and that'd turn back into the obbsession again. Now, I drink a ton of water...tea doesn't really do anything for me and most other things are filled with sugar like gatorade, energy drinks etc. Whenever I start to get headaches I'll allow myself just a little bit of soda..maybe 6-8 oz. and then thats it. If I'm at work and want one, I force myself to drink water instead. It might sound weird but I will tell myself I can't have soda because it'll counteract my meds....while this isn't really the case, it helps me to go with water. I try to convince myself that I don't want soda, and hopefully one of these day's I'll really believe it! Best of luck to you!!

wackyvorlon
05-16-08, 04:40 PM
I guess, in the spectrum of addictions, this one is pretty innocuous. It has a terrible effect on your teeth, and has an enormous amount of calories. But, it won't give you emphysema or cancer like cigarettes will. Nor does it affect you like alcohol or drugs. It could be worse :)

ADDAWAY
05-18-08, 03:12 AM
Greatdanish, are they Coke withdrawal headaches, migraines or other? Have you ever tried Zomig for that?

greatdanish
05-19-08, 12:06 PM
I think they're withdrawl headaches. I have had many migraines before and these aren't quite the same pain. I have noticed though, that having recently switched to Adderall XR, that in the early evening I'm getting similar headaches. So I'm thinking it's just the withdrawl.

Zerbinetta
05-25-08, 05:41 PM
When I was 16, I drank at least 1,5 litres of regular Coke every day. Then I read about pH values in chemistry, what they meant and just how low the one for Coke was, and I quit cold turkey. Within three months, I'd lost two stone (13 kg). Dunno how I replaced the caffeine, probably just with more coffee.

I realise this doesn't add anything that hasn't already been said by someone, but I just thought I'd share.

kiran12
05-28-08, 10:01 AM
Try for not to drink coca cola. assume that coca cola company is not exist.
otherwise ur drinking just for timepass.

I drink coca cola sometime in a year.

cameron
05-29-08, 05:17 PM
marytza, your funny how you respond to each post. I was wondering is English your second language?

LittlePrincess
06-07-08, 03:32 PM
Very interesting topic!!! I too LOVE pop... all kinds really, though I don't like the diet varieties and I'm not a fan of Mountain Dew.

My favorites are Coke (Classic, the real stuff!), Cherry Coke, and Mr. Pibb. lol :D

I wonder though... What about Sprite and/or ginger ale? They are caffeine free, but still contain high fructose corn syrup. Obviously they aren't "good" for you like water, juice or milk... but are Sprite and/or ginger ale "better" for you than regular Coke? :confused:

nikkiana
06-08-08, 02:25 AM
I'm another Coca-Cola addict... I used to be one of those people who would drink two and a half litres in a day if it was available to me. I've toned it down signifiantly in the past few years though... but it's been a hard work to even get to the point where I am now with it...

From what I can tell, my Coca-Cola addiction more has to do with my weird food issues. I have this weird thing about salty lingering aftertastes... and Coke seems to be the best thing I've found to make them go away. If I eat anything that's even the tiniest bit salty, it sets off my "must have a Coke NOW!!!!" thing in my head.

I find that it's best to limit the amount of Coke I buy.... I'll usually buy a two litre bottle at the beginning of the week, and try to make it last all week... and if it's gone before the end of the week, I either go without or I go buy one can at the vending machine in my apartment complex.

I try to only drink it with meals... I find that cuts down on the amount I drink, because I'm not mindlessly drinking it all day...

I also found exercise helped.... If I was doing something active that might make me dehydrated, I found I didn't crave the Coke nearly as much as if I was sitting on my butt all day... but of course, I also hate exercise, so that hasn't gone as swimmingly well as it could have.

djdragon7k
08-13-08, 04:50 PM
I can see where you coming from on this. I LOVE mountain dew. it taste good and it supplies me with about 80% of my energy. I know it is not good for me, it even gives me horrible headaches. for the new year i actually stopped drinking soda atogether, but now I drink it again, not as much as i used to but still too much.

All I can say is slowly take yourself off coke. You just have to tell yourself no whenever you start craving coke, the first few days is tough, i know. but it gets easier. and soon you won't want very often. One thing that helped me was i got a water bottle that clips to a strap on my backpack, I try to drink at least 3 water bottles a day. I admit some days I don't but having with you encourages you drink more water a day.

Driver
08-14-08, 12:50 AM
Yeah when I was doing my teaching prac I was exhausted. I found a coke was the only thing that woke me up first thing in the morning as I don't like coffee. Are there any other ways you can get caffeine that are tasty and don't erode your teeth?

Try having a Cafe Mocha, or a Moccacino: they're hot coffee drinks made with chocolate.

I guess, in the spectrum of addictions, this one is pretty innocuous. It has a terrible effect on your teeth, and has an enormous amount of calories. But, it won't give you emphysema or cancer like cigarettes will. Nor does it affect you like alcohol or drugs. It could be worse :)

Well if you suffer from IBS or you're intolerant to the artificial sweetener/fructose etc then you may develop colo-rectal cancer from the damage to your bowels from the frequent bowel movements.

Misfit
08-15-08, 11:54 AM
I saw a psychiatrist once who said almost everyone he has seen with AD/HD is addicted to cola. The combo of caffine and sugar is soooooo tempting to us.

I thought that it was bad that I drank coke at all...then I see people who were drinking WAY more then me on here. Wow...

What I have found is to just go cold turkey with it and to cut back sugar in general. Once the sugar is out of your system, when you go to have a coke you will notice how sugary it is...and it's gross. I have done this in the past, then I fall off the wagon again. Sugar and AD/HD are like Oil and water...they are sooo not good for eachother!

PLEASE DO NOT DRINK DIET POP! Artificial sweetners are SO BAD for you. Some people try to say that the studies are inconclusive as to whether or not they are really bad...but I work with someone who is an expert on them and they are really bad for you. Splenda (sucralose) tries to claim it is okay because it is made from sugar-but all artifical sweetners are made from sugar! They are just chemically processed. Sugar in it's pure from actually has a lot of vitamins and minerals in it. When it is refined to white sugar pretty much all of those are taken out. When white sugar is then chemically inhanced again...well you get the picture.

Our bodies do not like sugar. Our white blood cells actually see sugar as a foriegn substance and attack it when it enters the system. If you were to drink two pops, you would have basically no immunity to a virus or bacteria for about 5 hours after ingesting it. So if you drink a lot of pop and get sick all of the time...that might be part of it.

Man...it's hard though...

Ifeelpretty
08-15-08, 01:06 PM
I've never been addicted to soda, so I don't know if this will be useful...

Is plain carbonated water as damaging as sodas? I'm hoping it is not.

You could take the plain carbonated water, sweeten it with a few drops of liquid stevia (natural sweetener-very safe, used for many years in Japan and Europe), and lemon, and I think that would be a nice sweet soda substitute.

I drank plain carbonated water while I was on vacation in Wash. D.C. recently, and I found that I liked it as is, no sweetener, even. I just like the carbonation. My kids made faces when they sipped it, though.

It was weird, but it was like I was able to almost imagine/pretend that it was sweet, and that was good enough for me (although I never drink colas, only sprite on occasion).

When I was in Bar Harbor, I bought a maple seltzer (http://www.vtsweetwater.com/products.htm). It was pure maple sap (not boiled down, so it was thin, like water) that had been carbonated. I loved it! It was only barely sweet, like 9g carbs per bottle.

Darkangel001
12-27-08, 07:11 AM
Same problem, btw zero and diet coke are not good for, contain high levels of aspartame which is a well known carcinogen. Bk to the coke, I like mine full flavour normal brand, but I stopped now- caus I got terrified about losing my teeth....and also caus I switched to redbull- which had a much higher caffeine content and of course black coffee :)