View Full Version : Skoach

amazingplace
06-17-07, 05:25 PM
Is anyone else here part of the beta test group for skoach.com?

So far it is (for me anyway) a combination of MS Project and MS Outlook. Pretty nifty and soon to have Outlook import so I can stop entering cal itms in both places.

MeMyself&I
06-20-07, 02:47 AM
Is anyone else here part of the beta test group for skoach.com?I just signed on yesterday, and am still trying to get the hang of it. It's a little counter-intuitive in some places, but overall seems pretty useful.

Importing things from Outlook sounds awesome!

Viajero
12-07-07, 08:50 PM
How is Skoach working out for you, anyone?

This is actually my first post here at ADD Forums. I found this in the Skoach forums (http://www.skoac.com/forum/recentTopics/list.page). I've been checking out Skoach calendar/task manager and comparing it with other calendar-plus-ToDo lists combinations, such as Google Calendar plus "Remember the Milk".

Skoach does seem to have some good things going for it. Using "Jott" with Skoach and Google Calendar and "Vitalist" all seems to work well. Google is apparently planning to expand their Calendar in a big way soon. Hard to say what the best tool combination is for me, so I'm learning about all of them...

I definitely need some great web-based software to help keep me on track. The paper to-do lists I've been doing for years are not working, and keeping my schedule on paper only isn't either. Web 2.0 seems to be about mature enough to do the job now.

tscsantafe
12-10-07, 05:31 PM
Hi,
Does anyone know whether I can sync skoach and outlook?

charonshanti
01-04-08, 06:08 PM
Yes and no. Appointments sync back and forth but tasks don't, the theory being that the planning and task creation is done in Skoach, and the resulting schedule is imported back into Outlook.

However, it's pretty easy to cut-and-paste tasks, or lists of tasks, into the Skoach task screen. So whether you're keeping tasks in checklist, word, outlook, etc. it's not hard to transfer them and run them thru the Skoach process.

The lack of task sync with Outlook was initially irritating to me, but it also made me realize I was trying to live a double life in Outlook--a day's schedule full, plus an entire unrelated task list of 40 items I expected to just 'fit in' somewhere in the schedule. Skoach doesn't let me get away with that.

How is Skoach working out for you, anyone?

Well, it's still beta, so there are a few things you have to work around. That said, it's the only program I've ever worked with that works with me. A bad ADD day can crash the best of schedules, and figuring out where you stand and rescheduling might take more time than I have. Skoach lets me make a definite and well-reasoned schedule--which is sometimes tedious, especially at first--but if something crashes or I want to blow off the schedule, Skoach is flexible enough to work with it. It frees up a lot of time that would otherwise be spend on damage assessment or replanning everything.

Just learning to use Skoach provides a fair amount of coaching in itself. I've actually learned a lot about time and about myself that I've never managed to get my brain around before. The fact that I can now say 'schedule' without wincing is actually rather amazing.

ADDition
01-05-08, 12:23 PM
The lack of task sync with Outlook was initially irritating to me, but it also made me realize I was trying to live a double life in Outlook--a day's schedule full, plus an entire unrelated task list of 40 items I expected to just 'fit in' somewhere in the schedule. Skoach doesn't let me get away with that.

Well, it's still beta, so there are a few things you have to work around. That said, it's the only program I've ever worked with that works with me.

I totally concur. Actual appointments are the bottom line. Indeed, total duplication in both is a "double life". That is a great quote-exactly what it is. In my case, I just want the synchronization so that my appointments can go on the calendar in my mobile device-that way what is scheduled for THAT day is readily viewed by me on the fly. For now, I have to wait because I'm a Mac user. But Skoach allows me to have my schedule sent via text to my phone, so that's a good compromise in the meantime.
On a general feedback note: The developers and tech people actually respond to user input. And having it web based means I'm not locked to one desktop. I have found Skoach to be the most helpful planner for me because it combines reminders, tree views, and schedule views. It also can try to plug in tasks to your schedule automatically where they might fit appropriately.
(I've tried others)

charonshanti
01-05-08, 04:09 PM
Yeah, the funniest part of Skoach is that it may work too well.

Had to wrap my mind around the fact that what I called a schedule was actually a wish list, and I was constantly dooming myself to time management failure and endless list shuffling. That was not a pleasant realization. At first there was a small battle between my entrenched ADD-coping habits and Skoach's realism, and it took me a few weeks to figure out why exactly I would want this irritating little program in my life.

I called Skoach's WhereWazi a rather impolite name for awhile because I didn't like finding out how long things were really taking me. Now it's invaluable to me and helps me move things along, but it recently brought to my attention a 10-20 minute transition time when I'm switching tasks. I've spent a lot of years wondering where that time went.

If you aren't interested in or ready for coaching your whole schedule but you're thinking about trying skoach, start small. Map out one or two time slots that are challenging (weekend afternoons, independent work times, etc.) and the things you'd like to get done with that time, and play with the crunch & schedule wizards til you're happy with the results.

auntchris
01-06-08, 01:28 AM
what is skoach?

charonshanti
01-19-08, 01:29 AM
on-line/ by phone time management software (skoach.com) currently beta and free

auntchris
01-19-08, 06:20 PM
thanks charonshanti... Where can I get it. sounds great

Silicone
01-19-08, 08:51 PM
So far, I like it. As others have said it's still in beta so it's a bit rough around the edges.
Personally, I prefer an analog (paper) system. But Skoach looks promising.

charonshanti
03-30-08, 08:34 PM
There's a Skoach blog now at www.skoach.wordpress.com (http://www.skoach.wordpress.com) w/ screenshots & setup projects, if you're checking into or using Skoach.