View Full Version : Centrelink woes

AsmodeanForsakn
06-26-07, 07:25 AM
:soapbox: Had to see Centrelink today about getting a Health Care Card. No deal. I got a leave payout when I left work (they were not going to give me the time off) & Centrelink put me on an "Income Maintenance Period" that has only just finished (AFTER I have finished a full semester). I thought that would be the last of being scr**ed around by them. Now they tell me that because of this leave payout, I can't get a freaking HCC until more than 12 months after I left work!!!!

Not only is Austudy the lowest payment of the lot,
a) it doesn't get rent assistance like every other one seems to and
b) it does not automnatically come with a HCC!!
Now I have to hope I don't get sick for the next year in order to be able to afford to see my psych and get my meds, which I will have to pay full cost for on a student's income! As I have had to get a part-time job to survive while waiting to get Austudy (which is hit big time by said job) I just can't see any reason why I have to suffer even more! But that is the way Centrelink works, isn't it? Anyone else had this sort of problem? Seems to me that you try to do the right thing by "the system that supports you" but no matter what you do the system wants to kick you when you are down.

Big thumbs down to Centrelink's system

Crazygirl79
06-26-07, 07:18 PM
Centrelink are crap

AsmodeanForsakn
07-05-07, 06:22 AM
UPDATE: Still rejected, still fighting.

:soapbox:

But I think the real problem is the way Austudy is structured. It is the only payment as far as I can tell that is specifically excluded from rent assistance, and the only one that doesn't qualify automatically for a Health Care Card. Max payment is $348/fortnight ($174 p.w) which is over $50 pw less than the dole, and reduces by 50 cents in the dollar once you earn $118/fornight GROSS (which only just puts you roughly equal to the dole). Then if you leave work & get leave paid out (like I did) they put you on an income maintenence period for the number of weeks of leave (ie I had no payment all semester) but the only way you can get a HCC is to qualify for a "low income card" but then "apportion" the leave payout over the 12 months after you get it. Sounds like a real manipulation of the situation to me. But they also take into account any leave you take in the 12 months BEFORE you leave work.

Watch out, leaving work to go to uni can blow up in your face financially big time if you are not careful. And to think that I had made investigations with them before I applied for uni. It's not so much what you are told, the problem is what you are NOT told, but I thought I had asked all the questions I needed to. :faint:

Ichpuchtli
07-10-07, 07:56 AM
I am with you there Center link is mean. Crap.

Crazygirl79
07-10-07, 06:32 PM
Just get a bomb and blow them up...lmao...no just kidding:p

Yes they have aboslutely NO idea about the real life expenses do they...the idiots!:rolleyes:

Selena
UPDATE: Still rejected, still fighting.

:soapbox:

But I think the real problem is the way Austudy is structured. It is the only payment as far as I can tell that is specifically excluded from rent assistance, and the only one that doesn't qualify automatically for a Health Care Card. Max payment is $348/fortnight ($174 p.w) which is over $50 pw less than the dole, and reduces by 50 cents in the dollar once you earn $118/fornight GROSS (which only just puts you roughly equal to the dole). Then if you leave work & get leave paid out (like I did) they put you on an income maintenence period for the number of weeks of leave (ie I had no payment all semester) but the only way you can get a HCC is to qualify for a "low income card" but then "apportion" the leave payout over the 12 months after you get it. Sounds like a real manipulation of the situation to me. But they also take into account any leave you take in the 12 months BEFORE you leave work.

Watch out, leaving work to go to uni can blow up in your face financially big time if you are not careful. And to think that I had made investigations with them before I applied for uni. It's not so much what you are told, the problem is what you are NOT told, but I thought I had asked all the questions I needed to. :faint:

Scatterlogical
08-30-07, 04:09 AM
Don't get me started on centrewank.... I fought with them for years and years, since I had difficulties with work, and they ran me through so much crap. Then it reached a point where I was finally 'rejected' by Sarina Russo, when I mentioned my insomnia, difficulty concentrating, vagueness, etc. that was associated with my ADHD. I didn't think it was acceptable to not work (or try to find it) with the problems I had, I mean, there could be worse conditions...

But they told me I should get job capacity assessment, which lead to me getting a formal diagnosis from a psychiatrist (altho ADHD had been suspected my whole life anyway). So centrewank treat ADHD as a disability (as much as I hate that label)...

So I got transferred on to CRS (used to stand for Commonwealth Rehabilitation Services, they're essentially support for those with health and disability issues) and centrewank finally got off my back. I've had wonderful support from CRS, they've been my buffer from the beaureaucratic hoops centrewank expect everyone to jump through.

Additionally, I was able to stay on jobseeker rates when I was studying (which was great since I havn't been able to work enough to save that extra bit of cash to help get me through on AusStudy's measly pickings), since my only obligation to centrewank is to participate at CRS, and they deemed my study to be an appropriate activity - and they slowly and gently help you take the steps necessary to get on your feet, instead of dumping you into an intensive job search program and expecting full time work out of you straight away.

Anyway, perhaps this could be an option for you to consider... you definitely get a healthcare card then, plus the resources of CRS to find docs, psychs, assessments, whatever you might need.

Crazygirl79
09-01-07, 02:43 AM
Centrelink are a total bunch of wankstains:rolleyes: , although I don't have to deal with them that often...thank god:)

Selena:)

tudorose
10-23-07, 07:25 AM
One of the most memorable moments of my life was walking into c/link and saying that we didn't need their money anymore. I'm always grateful to have a job coz being on c/link sucks. I have to pay full price for everything and our medical expenses are high but it's better that being subjected to all their forms and bureacracy

~boots~
10-23-07, 07:28 AM
wow..all these WA'ers and I didn't know :-)

yah!! go us Perthites :-)

ninjanicole
10-24-07, 06:03 AM
yeah centrelink is pretty ****. I'm 19 and live at home so i get nothing from them because my parents 'earn too much' .

They dont give any of their money to me though!!!

i have uni 23 hours a week and have to work about 20 hours a week as well to support myself (i travel an hour each way to uni).

how am i meant to find time to study, let alone manage to concentrate on it!

P_Stampy
12-07-07, 08:31 AM
You do realise they have to follow procedures? its not like they ****ing single you out and go "nah... i wont let this person have money"... they put up with so much ****, esp the poor front counter ppl.

Crazygirl79
12-11-07, 03:19 AM
P_Stampy

I know and understand what you're saying but I've personally seen people who do the right thing by Centrelink such as handing their dole forms in, taking in their pay slips from work in etc etc and still get stuffed around big time! as I said in one of my posts I don't have to deal with them very often and I'm rather thankful for that however there seriously needs to be a reform for the poor quality database system and customer service with that said I can empathise with what the front counter people go through as I've also worked in various customer service jobs (they've only been short stints) and I've been in situations where I've been abused for something that wasn't my fault and I didn't appreciated it at all but I also understand that people generally behave in such an aggressive manner is usually because they're frustrated.

In regards to your post, there is no reason for you to have been so aggro, it's not necessary surely you can put your point across without the aggressive undertones??

Regards
You do realise they have to follow procedures? its not like they ****ing single you out and go "nah... i wont let this person have money"... they put up with so much ****, esp the poor front counter ppl.

P_Stampy
12-14-07, 05:47 AM
Being frustrated is no excuse to be rude to people.

A guy on the bus today went off at the driver cos the driver forgot to stop at the bus stop... hes human, he made a mistake, no excuse for this retarded passenger to go off at him... making the driver feel less human than this guy - that probably lost his licence for road rage or dui or something by the sound of him.

The reason I am so "agro" is that no one here appears to understand. If I were to say that in real, it'd be in a calm way, not a screaming psychotic whinging way that the rest of the posts appear to be :s

PS - I catch the bus so I can repay my mortgage and live comfortably... not cos ive lost my licence. Small sacrifice for a long term good outcome. I own two cars, but just dont drive them all that often :)

Crazygirl79
12-16-07, 04:17 AM
Margery

I never ever said that being frustrated was a excuse or reason to be rude! and I totally understand where you're coming from as I said in my last post, I too have been on the end of people's rudeness when I was working in customer service...hence the reason I no longer work in customer service!

I was not having a "go" at you as such but I found that you came across a little aggro and that can be off putting to some people, yes there some people on here that occasionally don't get it but being aggro isn't going to achieve very much at all.

I also agree that we're all human and make mistakes...geez I make mistakes all the time believe me! but there are some circumstances where mistakes made by me for example can be costly to others and can be deemed unacceptable.

You are right that "retarded" passenger had no right to go off his nut at the bus driver just for missing a stop by accident...provided that particular driver doesn't make a habit of missing stops..if that particular driver missed stops regularly then a passenger would have the right to be angry but from what you've said about this particular incident then the idiot who went off his nut sounds like he was in the wrong.

If you find it easier to catch the bus to wherever you're going as opposed to driving then good for you:)

Merry Christmas and happy new year for 2008

Selena:) Being frustrated is no excuse to be rude to people.

A guy on the bus today went off at the driver cos the driver forgot to stop at the bus stop... hes human, he made a mistake, no excuse for this retarded passenger to go off at him... making the driver feel less human than this guy - that probably lost his licence for road rage or dui or something by the sound of him.

The reason I am so "agro" is that no one here appears to understand. If I were to say that in real, it'd be in a calm way, not a screaming psychotic whinging way that the rest of the posts appear to be :s

PS - I catch the bus so I can repay my mortgage and live comfortably... not cos ive lost my licence. Small sacrifice for a long term good outcome. I own two cars, but just dont drive them all that often :)

Fuse
02-05-08, 11:24 PM
Centrelink is an effing disaster. Still, at least it is better than anything America has.

And at least my health care card should clear, even if they won't let me get youth allowance.

P_Stampy
02-18-08, 04:50 AM
Merry Christmas and happy new year for 2008

you too ;)

Fuse
02-28-08, 10:01 PM
Got my healthcare card no questions.

I didn't really qualify for anything, either (I don't have Youth Allowance and hadn't put down any medical conditions like ADHD). I guess it's because I'm a student with no job currently.

AsmodeanForsakn
02-29-08, 06:21 AM
I FINALLY got my Health Care Card on Tuesday this week. The moral of the story is to make sure that you use up all your leave, THEN quit the job. Don't let it build up if you are going to go to uni and on to Austudy. I had to give up my night job 3 months ago and wait for a knee operation, so I have had to struggle on Austudy and that was all. To try to make ends "meet" I stretched out the time between getting my meds... I don't recommend that to anybody:(

Fuse
02-29-08, 09:27 PM
Good to here you got it man!