View Full Version : Been doing this for awhile to kill time

Johnnny
07-03-07, 02:20 PM
Well 2 weeks ago i was really bored and i started to revitalize my attempt on learning another language to kill time in between work, sleep, school and same old with friends.

The language ive been attepting is french since its an official language of canada i might as well learn it. :D

Ive been doing alright at the moment, i bought the book "french for dummies" and im almost at the end of chapter 4, yea i know not that far lol. BUt by december i hope i an talk confidently in french.

Everyday i try and study it a half hour, whether i learn 1 new word or 10 new words i still try and keep learning more. I can skim through sentences atm and get an idea of the subject and meaning but im still rusty i can also speak some basic sentences and phrases

At work i found out a few of the girls speak french at various levels and they have been a HUGE help. I have a group of friends who strictly speak french when not around me and they have been alot of help also. But they dont like having to tech me, they just preffer to answer the odd questions lol.

I like trying this as a "hobby" cause i can do it by myself and with other people.:eyebrow: And other people especially french people like to see my innitiative for learning.

I know if i keep at it, this will pay off whether its more job oppourtunities or meeting new people there are more posities than negatives to this i think.

Questions

Has anyone else here self taught themselves another language? How did you fare?

Are there any native french speakers on the board who wanna help me wit french in the chat here? Help sharpen those social skills:cool: . I culd always use some help

ThAnKs
:soapbox:

Crazy~Feet
07-03-07, 05:54 PM
I do not claim to be able to speak or understand any other language in a fluent sense? But I do tend to pick up what I hear/read. For example I can grasp bits of Spanish, French and Japanese for various reasons.

boone1
07-03-07, 07:22 PM
I learn't to speak a little bit if Spanish on my own but I started to struggle and gave up. But I can say almost any object that I can think of in Spanish and I can also hold a pretty good conversation.

I also learn't quite a bit of British Sign Language using the internet but I gave up with that as well.

Theodor
07-04-07, 03:25 AM
What about Norwegian? We are 4,5 mill people in this country, so norwegian is a good language to know :D

I think I'm stuck to english as my seccond language, unless trying to :cool:

pedalpounder
07-04-07, 04:33 AM
I speak french. You can ask me questions.

Johnnny
07-04-07, 11:30 AM
I speak french. You can ask me questions.
FOr sure if you wouldnt mind i could meet you on the chat and you could answer ome of my questions, or if you have msn that would be great too.I dont have alot of cash-money to compensate for your time but i dunno we can wrk something out

I learn't to speak a little bit if Spanish on my own but I started to struggle and gave up. But I can say almost any object that I can think of in Spanish and I can also hold a pretty good conversation.

I also learn't quite a bit of British Sign Language using the internet but I gave up with that as well.

Thats crazy, spanish i hear is the easiest of the Romance Languages to learn, and ive always wanted to learn sign language since that time i saw a hottie use it on the bus.:cool:

Im sure if you work on it and learn both saying you can speak spanish and do sign language on a resume will certanily help your chances for whatever job your applying for.

In Canada people can work for the government unless they speak french, so in my eyes it would be a valuable asset to learn more than 1 language

Thanks

Peace

lunaslobo
07-05-07, 06:51 AM
I am going to try to teach my self american sign, i know it is still english but it is like learning a whole nother language. My son took french for three years in highschool.

Johnnny
07-05-07, 12:22 PM
its great i have my freinds and the girls at work teaching me french. And now i just talked to my grandma and grandpa and they have no problem teaching me finnish. So looks like ill be learning two languages at once:confused: :faint: :foot: :cool:

Johnnny
07-08-07, 12:12 PM
Here is some finnish that ive been taught and will be quized on tommorow lol. Just so you dont think im making this up :rolleyes:

Minä Haluan --> I want
Kuinka se menee ---> How is it going?
Minun nimi on -----> My name is
Iam Hungry ----> Minula on Nälkä
I'm going ----> Minä Menen
Dog -----> Koira
Cat ----> Kissa
Iam from -----> Mina olen
What your name ----> Mikä sinun nimi on
Good Bye ------> Hyvästi
Where are you from? ---> Mistä Sinä olet

Id write down all the french ive learnt but i dont want to be here all day lol :faint: . Hopefully by the end of this year or next year i will be Tri-lingual:cool:

AsmodeanForsakn
07-09-07, 01:05 PM
I'm going back to learning Mandarin Chinese starting next semester (the end of this month). I used to have a lot of Singaporean/Malaysian Chinese student friends who were speaking Chinese & I wanted to learn a second language, so Chinese was it. When I found out they had been speaking other dialects (there are over 50!) I had discovered that I had a talent for Mandarin & I love the language. I am SO happy that at long last I can restart it!!

Johnnny
07-10-07, 11:58 AM
I'm going back to learning Mandarin Chinese starting next semester (the end of this month). I used to have a lot of Singaporean/Malaysian Chinese student friends who were speaking Chinese & I wanted to learn a second language, so Chinese was it. When I found out they had been speaking other dialects (there are over 50!) I had discovered that I had a talent for Mandarin & I love the language. I am SO happy that at long last I can restart it!!
According to my grandparents i have a talent for finnish and according to the people at work i have a talent for french:confused: . Im taking things a couple steps and strides at a time.

Im loving this language stuff, also i find that the more languages i learn the better and better i get at remember that and other things. Overall i find my memory is becoming alot better.

Im liking this, im actually doing something constructive this summer:cool:

Jett
08-14-07, 09:57 AM
For awhile I was trying to learn Spanish but I got bored and discouraged so I quit.

I have trouble sticking to things for very long. :(

Ichpuchtli
08-21-07, 04:53 AM
Hey it is good that you do that. Keeps your brain active as you get older. Don't fall into my trap I keep thinking in English grammer.

Johnnny
05-18-08, 11:58 PM
its been a good couple of months since i last posted about this, things have been ok.

Ive learned alot more finnish
My french hasnt changed much:o
ANd now im thinking of learning russian and polish lol, after the summer if my finn gets stronger

I find people like to know im learning another langauge it shows them that im the kind of person who is always learning

Johnnny
03-11-09, 10:36 AM
check this out, this link is money, its a non-profit organization

not all the lessons are complete but its a really good link with alot of options in what langauge you would be interested in learning

all the audio has a textbook, listen to the audio and follow the online text

http://fsi-language-courses.com/default.aspx

firstdesserts
03-11-09, 02:07 PM
FSI is the standard by which all language courses in the US are judged. There are several language courses that are different versions of FSI.

You may want to check out (library?)
<!-- dynamic content lookup for viewtop.h --><!-- show the following div if there is a summary put in it --><!-- summary processing --><!-- eLibrary configured with content -->
How to learn any language : quickly, easily, inexpensively enjoyable, and on your own
<!-- Print the author, if one exists --> Farber, Barry.
<!-- dynamic content lookup for viewtop.h --><!-- show the following div if there is a summary put in it --><!-- summary processing --><!-- eLibrary configured with content --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 border=0><!-- extract requested bib data --><TBODY><TR><!-- Print publisher data --><TH class=viewmarctags vAlign=top width="25%">Publisher:</TH><TD class=viewmarctags>Carol Pub. Group,</TD></TR><!-- Ju data --><!-- iteminfo option1 --><TR><!-- Print publication date --><TH class=viewmarctags vAlign=top>Pub date:</TH><TD class=viewmarctags>c1991.</TD></TR><!-- Jv data --><!-- iteminfo option2 --><TR><!-- Print page count --><TH class=viewmarctags vAlign=top>Pages:</TH><TD class=viewmarctags>ix, 172 p. ;</TD></TR><!-- Jt data --><!-- iteminfo option3 --><!-- list LT --><!-- iteminfo option1 --><!-- iteminfo option2 --><!-- iteminfo option3 --><!-- list LT --><!-- iteminfo option1 --><!-- iteminfo option2 --><!-- iteminfo option3 --><!-- list LT --><!-- iteminfo option1 --><!-- iteminfo option2 --><!-- iteminfo option3 --><!-- list LT --><!-- iteminfo option1 --><!-- iteminfo option2 --><!-- iteminfo option3 --><!-- list LT --><!-- iteminfo option1 --><!-- iteminfo option2 --><!-- iteminfo option3 --><!-- list LT --><!-- iteminfo option1 --><!-- iteminfo option2 --><!-- iteminfo option3 --><!-- list LT --><!-- Print ISBN number, if exists --><TR><TH class=viewmarctags vAlign=top>ISBN:</TH><TD class=viewmarctags>0806512717</TD></TR><!--list_of_available/holdings --><TR><TH class=viewmarctags vAlign=top></TH><TD class=viewmarctags><!-- show if catalog or call-num item view --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

This is THE BEST BOOK on learning on your own! Sounds like you are hooked! I took French in high school (post stone age), but didn't go anywhere with it. My daughter is studying spanish in college and I am learning with her. I talked her out of taking French because of the number of Latinos in this country. I think we're hooked too! Next, we'll try French again.

Don't you love how it lights up people's faces when you (gargle) their native tongue!

ADD in French: Je suis dans la lune!:)

firstdesserts
03-11-09, 02:12 PM
P.S. One language guy I read said that Norwegian is the language closest to English. I've only met one Norwegian, and he sounded as if he'd grown up in Minnesota!

Johnnny
03-11-09, 02:36 PM
Norweigen, english, swedish, danish are all germanic languages

Yea it is pretty fun, and i would agree also that iam hooked into it

wsmac
03-21-09, 04:20 AM
thank you for the link to FSI.

My daughter has been teaching herself Japanese for several years now... sometimes sporadically... and is taking her second college Japanese class this semester.
She is using last semester and this one for her high school language requirements.

I took a couple of Japanese classes with her about 3 or so years ago and I can't remember anything.

I took German in high school and felt it was really easy to learn.
I had Spanish in elementary school once (we lived near the Mexico border), and I've taken one other Spanish class long ago.
Most of my Spanish is what I have learned in the medical field.
The Spanish speakers locally seem to appreciate when I can talk to them about their lab tests. I'm not fluent, but they allow my little mistakes and we get along just fine. I even make them laugh sometimes when I screw up:D

My daughter wants the Rosetta software.
I've been toying with the idea of buying it.

I also want to learn French, better Spanish, and Arabic.

last thing... when I asked my daughter why she picked Japanese to learn... she told me she was really attracted to the characters, which also explains her interest in Arabic, the Cyrillic languages, basically any language with interesting characters.... :D lol

Johnnny
03-22-09, 10:52 PM
last thing... when I asked my daughter why she picked Japanese to learn... she told me she was really attracted to the characters, which also explains her interest in Arabic, the Cyrillic languages, basically any language with interesting characters.... :D lol

Cyrllic is awesome, i like writing in mostly capitals lol

Down the road im going to take a shot at Hindi, cause i think devengari script is cool