View Full Version : Untimed ACT Testing

gstien
07-04-07, 10:09 PM
My niece has ADD, and is trying to take the ACT untimed, like I did 20 years ago, and then again 8 years ago (re-took it for a better score for college).
She's being told that they cannot give her one without a letter from
a psychologist, that's seen her for 3yrs!
So she either takes it timed again (got a 21 barely), or she has to find a way to get a note saying she has ADD.
She's been on ADD meds for 4 years at least, maybe longer.
I'm not sure what Dr prescribed her the ADD meds, probably her
pediatrician?
If it was, it's because he had her tested.
So what can we do?
Any ideas?
Otherwise 21 is as high as she can get on the ACT, when she needs higher.

Imnapl
07-04-07, 10:45 PM
How about contacting the doctor or wherever her current medical files are and request a letter stating when your niece was diagnosed and prescribed meds? I wonder why they picked three years?

gstien
07-06-07, 07:48 AM
Beats the heck out of me.
Probably some new rule because people that don't really have ADD (and are just really stupid), are claiming they have it, and are abusing this longstanding procudure. Then those of us that really have, can't take the test untimed because they think we are faking too.
I'd like to show them my niece's van, where she has hit just about everything she can with it, BECAUSE SHE DOESN'T PAY ATTENTION!
I'm going to ask my sister to contact my uncle.
He's a Dr, and so are 2 of his sons.
Between the 3 of them, they should be able to come up with something.
My sister also knows a psychologist, and maybe she could contact him and ask him for help.
Either way, this must be a new rule in TN.
Personally, I'd ask to see this IN WRITING, and find out why it's suddenly come up.
We also have a lawyer in the family, that has access to "big" lawyers. LOL
Saving that for last....
Thanks for the reply.
I've just never heard of this....