View Full Version : ADHD, depression, anxiety. (Adderall)+(Lexapro)=(:-D)

chsguy88
07-10-07, 08:39 PM
After losing both grandparents in the course of 6 months, parents (having been married over 20 years) getting a divorce, 1 sister almost getting a divorce, the other sister getting a divorce and crying to me constantly, going through relationship problems of my own, a pretty much non-existant GPA due to undiagnosed ADHD.... my life was pretty near miserable.

After going to the psychiatrist and getting diagnosed with ADHD, depression, and anxiety, she started me on adderall. Great for the ADHD, but made anxiety worse, and depression worse at times. Then Lexapro came in to the mix. I have literally never felt this good. Not good as in like a euphoric good, but just as in like an all around good.

My ADHD is under control, and i havent been upset in a few days... keep in mind i only started the lexapro about a week and a half ago, but it has made the biggest difference. As of now i'm on 60 mg adderall daily, and 10 mg of Lexapro daily (morning).

selby
08-02-07, 02:53 PM
That's how I felt when I first started my anti-depressant and Concerta. I started both around the same time, and I had never felt better. Anti-depressants aren't meant to be taken forever, though, so I quit a year later even though I felt better only a month later. Going through antidepressant withdrawal was literally the worst experience of my ENTIRE life. I've never been suicidal, but imagine for MONTHS waking up wanting to die, vomiting for weeks straight, and almost having to quit your work/school because your brain is trying to get "itself" back. It took three months for the WD to end, and now I still have worse depression than before. I believe this is from Paxil as well.

I don't mean to scare you, really. But I was exactly like you and felt on top of the world....then it all came crashing down and turned into the lowest point of my life....times before it were bad but times after it were even worse.

I wouldn't take the Lexapro longer than you absolutely have to because the longer you're on it, the more severe your withdrawal could be. :(

sloppitty-sue
08-02-07, 04:30 PM
chsguy88 -

Thank you for sharing your positive experience with those two medications. It sounds like you've be STRETCHED to the limit from all ends. Gosh - when it rains, it really does POUR sometimes. You're not alone with that phenomenon. Let's just hope the weather changes for you, and becomes filled with much sunnier days for a good long while!

I am very sorry, Selby, that you experienced that horrible w/d from stopping the Paxil. I have heard from others that it is an UNUSUALLY DIFFICULT antidepressant to stop taking. I, myself, have taken both Prozac (and currently Zoloft instead) for years at a time - and I NEVER had any w/d symptoms to speak of when I (without medical advice) suddenly just stopped taking them when I became pregnant and for a couple of years after while I was breastfeeding.

I also have been advised by several of the psychologists, psychiatrists, etc. that I have seen over the years that, for SOME people, it is beneficial (and even necessary in some cases) for some patients to take antidepressant medications indefinitely.

So - to the original poster - you have two opposite opinions about how long to take the medications. So make sure to always seek the advice of YOUR doctor about such decisions (which is what we always advise everyone here on the ADHD Forums to do).

My best to both of you,
Sue

chsguy88
08-04-07, 04:18 AM
Thank you sue, and I'm glad your SSRI's are working for you as well. The lexapro and adderall combo were working great untill i was involved in an extremly bad wreck and pretty much walked away hurt free. Getting tickets and such from the accident made my anxiety shoot through the roof.

The last time i went to the psychiatrist, she diagnosed me with post traumatic stress disorder as well, which that on top of already being diagnosed with anxiety.... as well as taking stimulant meds, needless to say the insomnia increased majorly as well as the anxiety. She prescribed Klonopin in small doses, about half of a .50 mg pill, 3 to 4 throughout the day to keep the increased anxiety down a bit, and then a full pill right before bed. At first she said reserve 2 pills (out of the 3 a day she prescribed) for before bed, and take 2 half pills throughout the day... but literally my anxiety is terrible ever since the accident. She told me to call her in about a week and we can discuss any changes as far as dosages... but the anxiety is under contol throughout the day, but normally when i take the 4 halves. and then I feel the 1 full pill at night may not be enough... I'll discuss it with her in a few days and repost.

But as far as the SSRI/SNRI/etc withdrawls go, ESPECIALLY with paxil, which one of my friends told me to 'avoid like the plague', i've heard has extremly bad withdrawl symptoms. Plus my psych said all the med's that i'm on that are habit forming or could produce withdrawls: adderall, adderall XR, lexapro, and klonopin... shouldnt be stopped abruptly but gradually stopped. In my opinion, a doctor shouldnt start you on a habit forming/withdrawl producing drugs and then just stop filling your Rx's... Mine said if her or i ever feel I to stop them, we would do it over the course of (a) month(s)... slowly reducing the dose, which she said pretty much eliminates most, if not all w/d symptoms the few people that get them expierence.

But in my opinion, if you have depression or anxiety problems bad enough that they effect your daily life and wellbeing, especially severely... they are definately worth a try. I hate to even think of my life living in the amount of depression i was in... i agree, crying every now and then doesnt call for medication, but crying all the time and pretty much drowning in your own sorrows... that does a lot more harm than a medication could. Especially when suicidal thoughts and whatnot come into the picture. Put it this way, having side effects or tapering down your dosage and having slight withdrawls may be hard, but at least your living to be having them, due to the medication that gave you reason to live in the first place. but then again, thats just my opinion :-D

zachbraff
08-12-07, 03:30 AM
i just started lexapro and am on day 3 with already positive results. way to go potent as hell syrotonin "reupake inhibitors". i always stopped my meds cold turkey after 8 weeks of garbage. my matabolism is ridiculous. I shouldn't have wasted my time, i wish i knew then that lexapro was a lot less like most ssri's and a lot like something else. pretty sure this one will be a ssri that actually will be a goood SAD med as well.
i've also decided that after a psychiatrist gets you on the right meds, it's time to see someone who will actually talk to you. btw, how long does the ADD XR last? same with the IR.

chsguy88
08-24-07, 10:34 PM
Well first off, about the lexapro... it was still working well for the depression, but was non-prefered on my insurance plan..... and my dr. offered Cymbalta which affects serotonin and norepinedrine(sp)... so i figured i'd give that a try. I started with a week of cymbalta at 30mg in the am, and now i'm about mid week of 60mg in the am. Notice little difference. but then again i also switched from klonopin .5mg 3x a day, to Ativan 1mg 4x a day... so god knows what meds are causing what feelings lol. i'm fine though!

Now about the adderal. With me, when i first started, my Rx was for a bottle of 90 20mg adderall instant release. I found with those, they kick in really quick and its like BAM, but then that goes away about 4ish?? i think hours away? I kinda forgot, but you can tell like exactally when you need your next pill. If i didnt have my dose on me, i was pretty bad off..... but now since the XR, i take 40 mg in the morning. The only difference is IR is amphetamine, and XR is half amphetamine and half dextroamphetamine... The amphetamine hits u right away, but still takes longer than the IR tablets (probally bc they are in a capsule, with a bunch of little balls in it), and the dextroamphetamine releases about 4 to 6 hours later... depending on your body and stuff. I like the XR a lotttt better, theres no more really ups and downs throughout the day and i dont have to worry about carrying around my mid day dose. just my dose around 8 hours after i wake up. but yupppppp. just message me if u have any more specific questions, i feel like i'm writing a novel lol

iliketurtles
10-14-07, 03:18 AM
The addition of an SSRI to an amphetamine/methylphenidate is anecdotally known to soften the ups and downs that some of us experience while taking a psychostimulant. If you're dealing with depression in addition to ADHD, your Lexapro or Cymbalta (SNRI) should also keep you from crashing after 8 hours of Adderall.

Lexapro (escitalopram) is expensive because it's an enantiomer of Celexa (citalopram). It's literally just the better half of racemic Celexa. (Recall that Adderall XR is a mix of two amphetamines - that is what is meant by racemic.) If you liked Lexapro, you should ask your doctor for Celexa. Insurance companies will cover it because it's generic and cheap. Lexapro was made because it can be sold on patent! (It's also more potent because the other enantiomer is counteractive so it is arguably better, but Celexa is also easier to get off of because the dosage is flexible)

Arei
11-08-07, 07:52 PM
Never have taken Adderal, only Vyvanse.

I take 20 mg of Lexapro with 300 mg of Welbutrin XL. That stuff is all magic together

I had been taking Celexa beforehand, but the high dosage that I needed caused a reaction when I got out in the sun which was very painful, so they switched me to Lexapro and it did the same thing when it got bumped up. But I still take the Lexapro, alot of the time I forget to take it xDD It helps though, does work pretty well.

pollyweather
01-31-08, 09:48 AM
I also take the combination of Adderall and Lexapro! I take the Adderall in the morning and the Lexapro a couple hours before I go to bed since it makes me sleepy. However I still feel paranoid, anxious and get the blues. But I just started taking it last week, so I'm going to give it another couple weeks or so.

I'm glad to hear that it's working out for you! I hope things are turning around for you :)

newtoclarity
02-22-08, 12:19 AM
Does anyone have chronic pain? What medication are you on? Does anyone take pain medication along with Adderall and Lexapro?

newfdog
02-22-08, 09:11 AM
I had chronic pain, headaches prior to my depression ADHD diagnosis. About the only thing that would work is Vicodin. That said, some pain can be associated to depression as mine was.

My general Dr put me on Zoloft, which really did not do much. My shrink changed me to Wellbutrin which helped the depression then a few weeks later diagnosed the ADHD and started Srattera as I can't take the stimulents due to other health issues.

About 2 months ago I crashed again and major depression set in again. Shrink upped the Wellbutrin, but after 2 weeks there was no change, so he has added 10mg Lexapro. It has only been a day, so it is too soon to tell. I hope it works as I have a new project at work and I should be excited and hyperfocused as I have been in the past, but am forcing myself to get going.

Brakna
02-25-08, 11:19 AM
My doctor just started me on 10mg dosage of Lexapro to first deal with the depression. It's already making a slight dent into my depression. We'll see if I'll have to use some type of ADD medication or not.

Brakna
02-29-08, 02:31 PM
My doctor just started me on 10mg dosage of Lexapro to first deal with the depression. It's already making a slight dent into my depression. We'll see if I'll have to use some type of ADD medication or not.

Update: In addition to ADD, if you have a serious struggle with depression/anxiety, please get help. Mine is under better control now with a combination of anti-depressant meds and excercise. There is no need to suffer endlessly and letting yourself die slowly.

Iluvpoptarts
03-09-08, 04:36 PM
Glad to hear this stuff works for you =]
However, i read in the newspaper and plus i just googled lexapro and reached the same article- a british study has just revealed that prozac-like drugs (including lexapro) may increase depression.. and have been related to a bunch of suicides..
How would you explain that?
My guess is maybe they expected quick results and when they didn't get them decided to quit fighting.

busyhermit
03-09-08, 10:25 PM
Glad to hear this stuff works for you =]
However, i read in the newspaper and plus i just googled lexapro and reached the same article- a british study has just revealed that prozac-like drugs (including lexapro) may increase depression.. and have been related to a bunch of suicides..
How would you explain that?
My guess is maybe they expected quick results and when they didn't get them decided to quit fighting.

Well, I tried a variety of antidepressants from age 25 to 41, and all of them produced suicidal ideation and high anxiety. I don't know the explanation - but they all(?) carry warnings now that teenagers given antidepressants should be watched closely at first because there is an increased possibility of suicide. What I don't understand is why they draw the line at teenagers? I'm no teenager, but experienced the same thing. Maybe an adult is less likely to act on the thoughts? I don't know, and like I said, I can't really explain it.

It's not like being disappointed and giving up. It's like - the pain is still there, but somehow there is less fear of self-harm. It opens up as a very real possibility for escape, and just the thought of it is like a ray of sunshine in my dark world. Didn't say it made sense - just trying to describe it. Of course, I have enough rational thought to realize that suicide is not really the answer it appears to be. Still may engage in other self-harm activities, though.

Iluvpoptarts
03-10-08, 05:23 PM
It's not like being disappointed and giving up. It's like - the pain is still there, but somehow there is less fear of self-harm. It opens up as a very real possibility for escape, and just the thought of it is like a ray of sunshine in my dark world. .

Sounds like you could have just taken placebo then - that would have created the "less fear of self harm"
The pain shouldn't still be there. They are unaffective.
But then again , what do i know?...
I say go for the natural alternative treatments, my mom did for allergies and for the first time she doesn't have skin allergies.

Sandy4957
03-11-08, 05:49 AM
I've found that very high doses of fish oils help with pain. I take six capsules of the one I get and rarely get sore if I maintain that level.

easye
03-11-08, 11:41 AM
Here's my experience:

I started taking anti-depressants about 5-6 years ago. Originally it was Zoloft. I found this to be quite helpful for a 2-3 months, then it stabilized and gradually lost most of it's effectiveness. I then was switched to Lexapro 20mg (I'm a male 190-200 lbs, so doc said I needed this larger dose). I experienced somewhat of the same pattern. Although this did have positive effects for longer. As time went on I found that I experienced very low motivation, and was somewhat flat emotionally on this. I decided to try to wean myself off Lexapro. This was incredibly difficult and took me over a year and a half. I had to cut back very slowly or I would experience a lot of depression and irritability (not good with a wife and two very young children) along with some physical effects. This difficulty with coming off Lexapro even continued when I added Wellbutrin (1/2 year into weaning off of Lex). Getting off Lexapro was extremely difficult and something I definitely don't want to do again. I really ended up hating Lexapro by the end of it. I can't even imagine what it would be like to try to stop Lexapro cold turkey.

Wellbutrin somewhat helped. However, I only experienced major relief of the depression once I started on Vyvanse about 1-1/2 months ago. It may be that much of my depression was caused by undiagnosed and untreated ADHD.

Anyway, just wanted to add this as a cautionary tale about Lexapro. I'm not saying this will happen for everyone, but it made things very difficult for me. Just something to be aware of.

Bipolarruledout
05-01-08, 09:37 PM
First of all stimualants are NOT addictive when used in people with ADD/ADHD. They are habit forming which is not the same. I can't speak about antidepressants. What you SHOULD watch our for perhaps more than anything elce is any benzodiazepine class drug such as ativan, klonapin, xanax, etc.

inmostleaf
05-21-08, 02:18 PM
So, are both your MDD and Anxiety diagnoses a result from your recent adversity?

KurtG85
06-18-08, 05:10 AM
First of all stimualants are NOT addictive when used in people with ADD/ADHD. They are habit forming which is not the same.

I'd be interested in hearing your evidence that supports this. I have been on adderall for many years and can tell you it is in fact psychologically addictive. I have talked to MANY other people, all who have ADD as well, that can attest to the addictiveness of the amphetamine confidence boost that many people receive from adderall. That doesn't mean they or myself can't stop it. It just means its hard to, just like any other addictive drug or substance. In other words: its addictive.

I can understand how people can sometimes be frightened by a word and by the possible inferences that word may have on them when associated with something they are linked to. However, its important to keep things in perspective and realize that just because someone points out the fact that adderall is addictive for many people, with or without ADD, it doesn't mean those people are lowly, worthless drug addicts. It just means the confidence boosting effects can be pleasurable and therefore can be difficult to let go for some people. The difficulty of 'quitting' varies tremendously from person to person and many people find the sensations adderall gives to be unpleasurable in the first place. The addiction potential doesn't begin to compare to the intensity of many illegal psychoactive drugs for the vast majority of people. That is probably the most important thing to realize.

chsguy88
11-06-08, 03:07 PM
First of all stimualants are NOT addictive when used in people with ADD/ADHD. They are habit forming which is not the same. I can't speak about antidepressants. What you SHOULD watch our for perhaps more than anything elce is any benzodiazepine class drug such as ativan, klonapin, xanax, etc.

I would have to agree with KurtG as well. While you SHOULDNT get physical withdraws from a prescription stimulant used at a therapeutic doseage, you do become psychologically dependant on them. Especially when you have a bad case of AD(H)D that is well controlled on a stimulant; once treatment is discontiuned you start falling back into old ways and whatnot, which would further more MAKE you want your prescription medication again. Personally, when i was on nonstimulant medication for ADHD, i almost went crazy, and after 3 or so months, i INSISTED on going back to stimulant medication.

Now as far as benzos go, they have a higher probability of physical withdrawl systems.... but, as most medications used in psychiatry, when used at therapeutic doses under the supervision of a MD, these withdraws shouldn't be that bad and can most likely be avoided with slightly tapering the dose over a specified length of time.

Personally, i've been on Ativan and Klonopin for over 6 months total, and upon stopping didn't expierence the psychological 'withdraws' i expierenced upon stopping stimulants. Although i did expierence some rebound anxiety upon stopping the benzos, it was pretty much at the same level it was before i started the medication. But then again, stimulants and benzos both primarily fix the symptoms and not the problem....

One last thing, there's a reason stimulant medication is a Schedule II controlled stubstance, making it just as illegal to possess without a Rx as cocaine, crack, PCP, Oxycontin, Percocet... To be a scheduled II drug
(A) The drug or other substance has a high potential for abuse.
(B) The drug or other substance has a currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States or a currently accepted medical use with severe restrictions.
(C) Abuse of the drug or other substances may lead to severe psychological or physical dependence.

Benzo's are in class IV of the DEA's list of controlled substances, and drugs included in this schedule
(A) The drug or other substance has a low potential for abuse relative to the drugs or other substances in schedule III.
(B) The drug or other substance has a currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States.
(C) Abuse of the drug or other substance may lead to limited physical dependence or psychological dependence relative to the drugs or other substances in schedule III.

While both have dependence or withdraw, ABUSE OF THE DRUG lead to this. As long as you follow your doctors directions on how to take the drug, you should experience little to no side effects for stimulants, or benzo's.