View Full Version : Does Coffee make you feel calm or mellow???

vegeta09
07-17-07, 03:24 PM
Strange it does to me:confused:

Jett
07-18-07, 01:15 AM
yea, me too. It makes most people hyper but it makes me think more clearly. I can drink a liter of coke and then fall to sleep.

meadd823
07-18-07, 01:46 AM
I do not think coffee or soda has an effect on me one way or the other. Coffee make me feel warm, mostly because it is hot.

Imnapl
07-18-07, 02:13 AM
That would be no; Ritalin does, though.

merlin8015
07-18-07, 08:58 AM
I use to drink Mt. Dew, coffee and Monster Energy Drinks, I could fall asleep after drinking all three. The sugar gets me though that caff. makes me feel calmer.

Carrickfergus
07-18-07, 03:39 PM
Yep! In fact, too much coffee will knock me straight out. :P

Crazy~Feet
07-18-07, 05:00 PM
Coffee calms me down, too.

gstien
07-18-07, 07:46 PM
I reach a point where I get so tired, no amount of caffiene will help me.
Usually at the end of the day.
I get a short spurt of energy from it, but not like I used to.
I drink 3 cups a day, but I have 3 large glasses of tea (32oz), so I get plenty of caffiene.
Better than I used to be though, I used to drink 14 cups a day.
Wow, that's unhealthy. LOL

2Busy2Think
07-19-07, 08:37 PM
I read this yesterday, and thought IDK. So I brewed up a big cup of espresso, and 20 minutes after drininking it I fell asleep for 6 hours!. :faint:

Imnapl
07-20-07, 12:25 AM
I guess this is an unadvertised plus about being ADHD? Starbucks or Tim Hortons might be interested in us.

meadd823
07-20-07, 03:07 AM
Too much of a cafinated beverage it will keep me awake but not due to it's stimulating effects on my central nervous system, my CNS can sleep right through it . . . . .. BUT . . . . .my kidneys and bladder are another matter all together. . :eek: . .yep it gets me going . . . going back and forth to the bathroom . . . . . . :faint: age is so much fun = NOT!

lunaslobo
11-19-07, 07:04 AM
For me it is the simulant in caffeen. It acts the same way my ADD meds act on me. I think this reaction is why I had my melt down right after I quit smoking. I no longer had the self medicating effects of the nicoteen. So for some of us the stimulents act in the opisit way they should.

Matt S.
11-19-07, 08:51 AM
Caffiene calms me down in moderation too much of it makes me feel anxious though

ergop
11-19-07, 05:26 PM
Doesn't do anything for me from what I've noticed...
If I drink enough sodas at a resteraunt I can feel a small calming down effect.

Ohh... and there have been a few rare times where I've felt the effects of the coffee... in a calming down way. So it's random for me :p

Daveg
11-19-07, 05:41 PM
Long before I was ever diagnosed with ADHD, I noticed that drinking anything with caffeine would actually help me wind down before going to sleep.... If only I'd made the link earlier :(

Moving4wrd
11-19-07, 05:59 PM
I can't drink coffee it just makes me fall alseep. It tastes pretty foul too.

Skully
11-19-07, 08:28 PM
I have a cup of coffee in the morning and one in the afternoon. Definately helps me to think better.

ADD_Pyrate_Gurl
11-19-07, 11:11 PM
I don't drink coffee but my friend would order a Mocha before our first class started in high school (we had a coffee shop/stand in the cafeteria). She wouldn't drink all of it and I was curious what it tasted like so I would finish it off for her. Instead of waking up and being more alert, I wanted to fall asleep. When everybody else was up on their caffeen buzz, I was crashing.... then while everybody was crashing, I started up on my ADD 'buzz'. lol.

I think that's why I refuse to drink, smoke, take drugs.... Not only is it against my religion but are they unhealthy and bad for you, who knows how I would react to alcohol, nicotine or other drugs.

orbit1
11-20-07, 12:50 AM
Well, you could make an educated guess, like aside from uppers, they probably will affect you the same way they do others in general. If you eat chocolate or drink soda you are taking "drugs". Use and Abuse arent the same.

Guest1
11-20-07, 12:52 AM
i dont like it but when i dranked it made me hyper

ADD_Pyrate_Gurl
11-20-07, 12:54 AM
I think because I'm not on any ADD medication right now, because caffeen calms me down and my mind stops running around like crazy, I think that's why I love Mt. Dew Code Red so much... lol...

Fraz_2006
11-20-07, 05:04 PM
Caffeine gives me more physical energy, but makes my mind calmer and more relaxed

BethanyBez
11-22-07, 01:38 AM
Wow, this is fascinating! Coffee puts me to sleep, too! Other beverages with caffeine, like diet sodas, don't seem to have an effect on me. I am willing to bet that there is a connection to ADD here. I wonder if any research has been done on the effects of caffeine on the ADD mind versus the NT mind.

~boots~
11-22-07, 01:55 AM
ditto..calms me too ;-)

~boots~
11-22-07, 01:56 AM
Wow, this is fascinating! Coffee puts me to sleep, too! Other beverages with caffeine, like diet sodas, don't seem to have an effect on me. I am willing to bet that there is a connection to ADD here. I wonder if any research has been done on the effects of caffeine on the ADD mind versus the NT mind.my doc said add'ers often self-medicate with lots of coffee without even realizing..:faint:

Stabby
11-22-07, 10:41 AM
Too bad no one is mentioning what type of AD(H)D they have. I would think coffee has a different effect on each type?

3 cups of coffee will keep me awake but it doesn't make me less calm or passive. I'm not a diagnosed ADD'er though, but I suspect I may have ADD Inattentive Type (will get tested soon).

BethanyBez
11-22-07, 10:43 AM
I am ADHD, hyperactive, impulsive, and somewhat inattentive. Caffeine will wind me up for about ten minutes, then it's a big crash. And that's just coffee. Other caffeinated beverages do nothing for me in terms of waking me up.

Stabby
11-22-07, 10:46 AM
I am ADHD, hyperactive, impulsive, and somewhat inattentive. Caffeine will wind me up for about ten minutes, then it's a big crash. And that's just coffee. Other caffeinated beverages do nothing for me in terms of waking me up.
What effect do amphetamines like Ritalin have on you? It almost makes me a completely different person.

BethanyBez
11-22-07, 10:54 AM
I'm on Adderall and it makes me a happier person with less anxiety and less overanalyzing, but also more hyperactive. I get very talkative, and I'm not sure that's a good thing! I haven't been on it long enough to get a good idea of how it affects my concentration. I may try something else.

How does it affect you?

Stabby
11-22-07, 11:14 AM
I feel happier, more active and less anxious in social situations. I think and react faster and I can concentrate much better. I also get a lot more motivated to get things done and my long term memory improves too. I actually think I might have a great long term memory but I just don't have access to it.

I don't really know what it feels like to be a normal person, but I think that's what I achieved with Ritalin. The only difference was that I was suddenly interested in everything I studied for my exams while others weren't (I mean those who didn't take Ritalin, don't really know about the effect on others). But even despite that and studying a lot more than others I got 68% total which was still worse than what 60% of my class got. That was two years ago, last year (my last year of highschool) I only got 63% and the effect of the Ritalin wasn't as noticable as the year before. Both results weren't that much of an improvement though, if I hadn't taken the Ritalin I would have had only 5% less which isn't a big difference.

AdventureDotExe
11-22-07, 03:26 PM
Caffeine barely affects me, though I'm curious now if it does have a calming effect. If I take it to try to make me more alert it does absolutely nothing; if I'm sleepy before drinking coffee I will be sleepy after. However, generally in social situations if there is a coffee pot I will continually refill, so perhaps it helps with anxiety and I don't even notice?