View Full Version : Do you watch TV?

GiftedMenace
07-18-07, 01:17 PM
I grew up in a household where television was sacred. My mother (till this day) records her soaps while she's at work and watches them every night. We would sit faithfully in front of the tv for hours. There was a point in time where I stopped watching television for almost a year and that was an experience! I can honestly say my mind was more clear although I was focused on something else...it's like an addiction...I had to find something else to put my energy into....

So I was watching this guy Michael Tsarion and his theory video's called "Hidden Persuaders: The Subversive Use of Symbolic Symbolism in the Media" (google it if you're into conspiracy theories; its a 6 part series for all those who like to hyper focus like me) :D interesting stuff, though it may be over the top for some...

Anyway, in it he mentions how we are becoming a nation of people who are being contolled by symbolism used in the media to control our minds and change the way we think and this is starting with the children . The constant changes and frames in the commercials causes us to think on a quick, frame by frame manner.

So I was wondering if any of you have grown up watching television excessively...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

<table bgcolor="#ffffff" border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tbody><tr><td valign="top">

<!-- Small caps headline --> IS EXCESSIVE TELEVISION VIEWING IN CHILDREN LINKED TO ADHD? <!-- Dateline, main paragraphs --> Watching too much television has been implicated in increased violent behavior and obesity in young children, and now there is evidence that it may promote inattention. Researchers have found that television exposure in children ages 1 to 3 is associated with attention problems at age 7. Furthermore, the investigators concluded that each hour of television watched per day increases these children’s risk of attention problems, such as attention- deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), by almost 10% at age 7.

Based on these findings, lead investigator Carolyn A. McCarty, PhD, and colleagues advised that efforts to limit television viewing in early childhood may be warranted. “Using a nationally representative survey sample, we found a significant association between the amount of television watched between ages 1 and 3 and subsequent attentional problems at age 7,” Dr. McCarty told NEUROPSYCHIATRY REVIEWS. “These results held when controlling for other factors that might explain this association, such as the amount of cognitive stimulation in the home.” Dr. McCarty is a Research Assistant Professor of Pediatrics and Adjunct Research Assistant Professor of Psychology at the University of Washington in Seattle.

The findings are consistent with the American Academy of Pediatrics’ recommendation that parents not allow their children younger than 2 to watch television because of concerns that it affects early brain growth and the development of social, emotional, and cognitive skills. The American Academy of Pediatrics also encourages parents to exert caution—such as setting limits on television viewing, helping children develop media literacy skills to question, analyze, and evaluate television messages, and taking an active role in their children’s television viewing—in children older than 2. Although previous cross-sectional research has suggested that television viewing may be associated with decreased attention spans in children, longitudinal data of early television exposure and subsequent attention problems have been lacking, according to Dr. McCarty and colleagues.

<!-- Subhead goes here --> THE MEDIUM IS THE MESSAGE

The researchers sought to test the hypothesis that early television exposure (at ages 1 and 3) is associated with attention problems at age 7. They used the National Longitudinal Survey of Youth, a representative longitudinal data set, and the main outcome was the hyperactivity subscale of the Behavioral Problems Index determined for all participants at age 7. The main predictor was hours of television watched daily at ages 1 and 3. The study controlled for other attributes of the home environment, including cognitive stimulation and emotional support. Children who were rated as 1.2 or more standard deviations above the mean were classified as having attention problems.

“Attention problems include impulsivity, restlessness, and difficulty concentrating,” explained Dr. McCarty. “We did not use a diagnostic test to assess whether the children had clinically evident ADHD but instead looked at the degree of attention problems their parents reported they had.”

Data were available for 1,278 children at age 1 and for 1,345 children at age 3. Children ages 1 to 3 were chosen to participate because their brains are still developing rapidly, and symptoms of attention problems, such as ADHD, do not typically manifest in children until later years, noted Dr. McCarty. The investigators found that children watched an average of 2.2 hours of television per day at age 1 and 3.6 hours per day at age 3. Ten percent of children subsequently developed attention problems at age 7. In a logistic regression model, hours of television viewed per day at both ages 1 and 3 was associated with attention problems at age 7.

<!-- Subhead goes here --> TIME TO TURN OFF THE TELEVISION?

“Our results have some important implications if replicated in future studies,” the researchers summarized in the April issue of Pediatrics. “First, we added inattention to the previously studied deleterious consequences of excessive television viewing, including violent behavior and obesity. Second, our findings suggest that preventive action can be taken with respect to attentional problems in children. Limiting young children’s exposure to television as a medium during formative years of brain development consistent with the American Academy of Pediatrics’ recommendations may reduce children’s subsequent risk of developing ADHD.”

<!-- Subhead goes here --> ET TU, MISTER ROGERS?

Dr. McCarty’s team did not distinguish among different types of content of television programs in their study. “This study was designed to look at the impact of television as a medium rather than the content of programming,” Dr. McCarty pointed out. “It suggests that excessive viewing of television during early development is related to later attentional problems. However, we cannot infer causality based on the design of the study, nor can we surmise what kind of impact television viewing has on individuals later in development. Other research has certainly shown that some educational programs, such as ‘Sesame Street’ and ‘Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood,’ may be beneficial to the cognitive and creative development of school-aged children. However, no previous studies have looked at television viewing during the infant and toddler years, as we have. Clearly, our study has highlighted the need for more research to better understand the impact of media exposure on child development.”

<!-- Subhead goes here --> AN “IMPORTANT” STUDY

In an editorial appearing in the same issue of Pediatrics, Jane M. Healy, PhD, called the study “important and long overdue. Approximately three decades ago, teachers of young children at all socioeconomic levels began to report troubling changes in their students, mainly centering on decreasing abilities to listen, pay attention, and engage in independent problem solving,” she reported. “Frequently, the teachers blamed the advent of fast-paced, attention-getting children’s programming for this trend. Now that the trend is viewed nationally as an ‘epidemic’ of ADHD, perhaps it is indeed time to ask the research questions so ably initiated by Christakis et al and to consider that pediatricians may have yet one more job to do in early parent education about placing limits on screen time.”

<!-- Author, references --> —Colby Stong

Suggested Reading
Christakis DA, Zimmerman FJ, DiGiuseppe DL, McCarty CA. Early television exposure and subsequent attentional problems in children. Pediatrics. 2004;113:708-713.
Dennison BA, Erb TA, Jenkins PL. Television viewing and television in bedroom associated with overweight risk among low-income preschool children. Pediatrics. 2002;109:1028-1035.
Healy JM. Early television exposure and subsequent attention problems in children [editorial]. Pediatrics. 2004;113:917-918.
Huesmann LR, Moise-Titus J, Podolski CL, Eron LD. Longitudinal relations between children’s exposure to TV violence and their aggressive and violent behavior in young adulthood: 1977-1992. Dev Psychol. 2003;39:201-221.

<!-- Rest of the junk -->

Return to table of contents (http://www.neuropsychiatryreviews.com/main.html)

</td> <td valign="top">

</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <!-- End page contents here -->

naturechick80
11-17-07, 12:52 PM
Yes, Sesame Street. For hours on end as long as they kept playing it. ADHD/gifted type

blueyeyore
11-17-07, 01:42 PM
I didn't watch a lot of TV as a child until my best friend moved away, then I would watch TV all day and night in my grandmothers room. A few years later I got a computer; TV hasn't really been on my list of things to do since. So, from 1997 to 1999-2000ish I was big on the TV, but ever since 2000 I've been more interested in the computer. I was diagnosed until this year at 22. So I'm not really sure mine would fall into that area

Matt S.
11-17-07, 05:56 PM
Television comes in episodes for me, when I can get away with it, I will do nothing sometimes but watch television. It's that way with the computer and video games too.

NonSequitur
11-17-07, 09:18 PM
Yeah, most television does come in episodes, Matt. ;)

I know what you mean though, I used to watch a lot of tv and even plan my schedule around it. Now I don't care so much, I'll maybe follow a show or two and if I miss it it's not a tragedy. Now, with the writers on strike, it doesn't matter much to me.

Sometimes I'll have the tv on all day, but it's on a classic movie channel, and I don't really consider that television.

MaNaeSWolf
11-19-07, 09:49 AM
TV? a strange concept this.
Neverwas into TV. bored me to death, I can however watch the news and documentories.
But as for 99% of the stuff. . . . well id rather watch my plants grow, and then give each of the new leaves names, and then new names to replace the forgotten names, then Ill build a house for the ants that just moved in .. . . . anything except soaps.

maori_boy
11-19-07, 09:55 AM
the only show i watch on tv is bro'town because it is really really really ridiculusly funny. i like prison break but not enough to sit down and watch it.
if im interested in a topic il watch doco and movie and tv programes about it.
lol manae...ants are rather fascinating...mite be taken it a tad to the obsessive tho lol nah jokes

MaNaeSWolf
11-19-07, 10:01 AM
Haha. . . just got ants crawling inside my brain these lst few days. . . . cant get them out, and I seem to intersept each ones thoughts aswell. . . . ohh, look a nice juicy millipede

maori_boy
11-19-07, 10:04 AM
HA yuck..can i drink that stuff and have tomoro off work lol. chur bro u created a new drug free mix lol
nah all jokes

hollyduck
11-19-07, 10:07 AM
I find the most "popular" TV shows, like reality TV and most sitcoms, so offensively stupid that I will spring across the room like a frightened eland to turn them off. I can manage nature and some talk shows, older movies, the government channel (C-PAC in Canada, C-SPAN in the USA) which has some subtly interesting bits among the droning, and good news and Brit TV. Faux News I equate with reality TV.

But altogether, counting the minutes, I might watch an hour or two a week.

Ducky

Matt S.
11-19-07, 10:24 AM
Yeah, most television does come in episodes, Matt. ;)

I know what you mean though, I used to watch a lot of tv and even plan my schedule around it. Now I don't care so much, I'll maybe follow a show or two and if I miss it it's not a tragedy. Now, with the writers on strike, it doesn't matter much to me.

Sometimes I'll have the tv on all day, but it's on a classic movie channel, and I don't really consider that television.
Yeah but I will leave it off for days and have it on 24/7 for days.

maori_boy
11-19-07, 10:27 AM
is that like a bipolar kinda symptom?

Crazygirl79
11-19-07, 07:01 PM
I'm not a big TV addict...I don't watch a lot of it as I find it hard to concentrate and the ads really p*ss me too.

Selena

NonSequitur
11-20-07, 08:29 PM
Yeah but I will leave it off for days and have it on 24/7 for days.
I'd probably do that too, if I didn't have a husband attached to the remote control. *lol* Maybe not 24/7, unless I sleep in front of it.

mijahe
11-20-07, 09:49 PM
I'm not sure about recent studies - I much prefer older studies that have been proven time and time again. I wouldn't be surprised, though, about the increase in pseudo ADD, but I don't think tying it down to one thing is a good idea. Think about how instantaneous our society is at the moment. Fast foods, internet, movies, video games, etc. It all revolves around instant gratification. So, in a way everyone is training their minds to think like an ADDer. Hopping from this to this to this. It's not just TV that's doing it.

There was a point in time where I stopped watching television for almost a year and that was an experience! I can honestly say my mind was more clear although I was focused on something else...it's like an addiction...I had to find something else to put my energy into....
<!-- End page contents here -->Yeah, had the same experience, but for two years. It was fantastic. Didn't even go to the movies. I had a lot more time to waste on other things. LOL. :) Like any ADDer - there's always something that can be made addictive, there's always another hobby that can be turned into a monster.

Crazy~Feet
11-20-07, 10:14 PM
Um no. Not as a child, nor as an adult. Not recently and certainly not today.

I watch Japanese anime with English subtitles on the computer however. Gives me more to stimulate my brain. Cultural differences, the music played at the opening and closing of the show, the rhythm of a language I do not understand, fantasy storylines that grab my attention, etc.

andecala
11-20-07, 11:17 PM
I wach TV every day. It is painful for me to choose to leave it off all day.

Why do you ask?

Skully
11-21-07, 07:17 PM
I didn't watch TV much as a child. I watched educational shows in the morning, like reading rainbow and seseame street, but other than that, I didn't watch much tv. It was too hot in South Texas to stay in the house watching tv all the time.

KitKat
11-21-07, 07:47 PM
I usually don't watch TV b/c it's too distracting for me. I prefer the internet where I determine what I want to see/read, when and for how long. I typically have 25-30 explorer windows open.

DH is addicted to TV so I end up "watching" a lot, most of which I don't follow very well. I have sensory issues with noise and beg him to turn it down, even when it's a show I'm interested in.

Occasionally I tape a show for me to watch. But if DH is out, the TV is off 99% of the time.

I went for a year or 2, from age 13-14 and didn't watch one program. During times of stress I absolutely can not bear to have TV on - completely distracting, annoying and tiresome.

Jesse 7.0
11-25-07, 01:08 AM
I don't even have a television, so no.

I usually find enough entertainment on the internet and television has come to be boring recently.

Honeybunnie8
11-29-07, 08:08 PM
I always have the TV on weather or not I am watching it. I'm usually watching TV, cooking, on the computer and playing with my animals.
I grew up with the TV on all the time. Use to wake up to political shows or my mom arguing with Pat Buchanan on the 700 Club.

I would fall alseep listening to Britsh Murder Mystery shows, or someother obscure show my mom watched.

I have a few guilty pleasures, but "most" tv I think is retarded. I like the science channels and have an addiction to the disney channel even though I'm definatly bordering on 30ish. That's probably from my mom's love of cartoons, I swear I have seen every flintstones and Jetsons episode 10 times.

Matt S.
11-29-07, 08:12 PM
Use to wake up to political shows or my mom arguing with Pat Buchanan on the 700 Club.

Your mom yells at the TV? I thought I was the only one that does it. I yell at the TV when I pay $120 for 200+ channels and there's nothing on. I hate that. I argue with people on the TV too.

KittenPoker
11-30-07, 02:54 PM
Oh goodness...I LOVE TV! It's terrible, I know. Monday nights are currently Appointment TV with "How I Met Your Mother," "Heroes," and "The Soup Presents." Tuesdays are reserved for "Reaper." And usually "Countdown" is on in between these shows because I have a wicked huge crush on Keith Olbermann. "Top Gear" is another must-watch from BBC-America. Richard Hammond is a cutey-pie and I'm jealous of all the fast cars they get to drive.

I tell you, Tivo is the best two things in my house. We have a 300 hour HD Tivo on the 50" plasma and an older 80 hour Tivo upstairs on the 37" LCD. It's all hooked up to the network so we can pull shows back and forth between the two boxes.

The TV is almost always on in the house. And here at work I have to have music playing constantly. The quiet drives me nuts!

movingshadow
01-25-09, 08:09 AM
no i don't just news sometimes. did when i was a kid.. not anymore never.. don't like tv

Mantis
01-25-09, 08:32 AM
TVs are good for 2 things:
1: Playing computer games on
2: Watching DVDs on

This other function it has with channels and things though...no, I don't like that. :P

SB_UK
01-25-09, 11:33 AM
TVs are good for 2 things:
1: Playing computer games on
2: Watching DVDs on

This other function it has with channels and things though...no, I don't like that. :P

TVs are good for 0 things

unless they're similar to this
:-)

cost ~ $250

60 inch (100 inches would be ideal, 60'' is fine though) projected screen onto any surface,
ipod sized portable device (good size)
2 hrs battery life (will probably hold out until a 4 hour battery is introduced)
8' (good enough) max projecting distance

http://www.likecool.com/Gear/MediaPlayer/Pico%20Projector%20Displays/Pico-Projector-Displays.jpg

the world is changing.

Yay!

http://www.virtual-laser-keyboard.com/images/virtual-laser-keyboard-hand.jpg

cost ~ $150

max stimulation with no physical overhead :-)

we can't watch tv -
because it's boring -

stimulation requires that we move it on up to the next level -
total immersion
feedback
concurrent variety -

this option

http://tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:9vc5GgY9xSYN9M:http://bp0.blogger.com/_oUS0el01SoU/RihaXRHhhHI/AAAAAAAAAJ0/sLfi46TC8Jc/s320/architect.jpg

becomes a reality for many fold times le$$ than the 'physical world' now legacy equivalent.

Hybridize multiple threads of conscious awareness with VMware -

- and TV sets die -

SB_UK
01-25-09, 11:57 AM
TV sets die -

as we enter

~ wireless heaven ~

on Earth.

ref.
A couple of Testaments to progress

ustilago
01-26-09, 08:26 AM
David Cronenberg was way ahead of his time when he released videodrome in 1983. . .

Brian O'Blivion (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0187322/): "The battle for the mind of North America will be fought in the video arena: the Videodrome. The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye. Therefore, the television screen is part of the physical structure of the brain. Therefore, whatever appears on the television screen emerges as raw experience for those who watch it. Therefore, television is reality, and reality is less than television."

Brian O'Blivion (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0187322/): "After all, there is nothing real outside our perception of reality, is there? "

I quit watching television . . . 5 years ago? maybe more, I don't recall. My wife watches TV and the kids are addicted to it. The few minutes per month that I am exposed to television . . . disgust me. I find it intellectually insulting at best. . .

pADDyjay
01-26-09, 11:13 AM
Turner Classic Movies

stef
01-26-09, 11:32 AM
I'm kind of addicted! I like to have it on, even if I'm not watching. I love CSI.
I don't think it "causes" ADD; it was never on when I was little until 5:00 pm.
Actually I learned to read from Sesame Street & "the electric company". (my mom read to me every day, too plus since she read a lot I copied her - somehow it all fit together and I could read before school.)

SB_UK
01-26-09, 03:01 PM
David Cronenberg was way ahead of his time when he released videodrome in 1983. . .

Brian O'Blivion (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0187322/): "The battle for the mind of North America will be fought in the video arena: the Videodrome. The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye. Therefore, the television screen is part of the physical structure of the brain. Therefore, whatever appears on the television screen emerges as raw experience for those who watch it. Therefore, television is reality, and reality is less than television."

Brian O'Blivion (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0187322/): "After all, there is nothing real outside our perception of reality, is there? "

I quit watching television . . . 5 years ago? maybe more, I don't recall. My wife watches TV and the kids are addicted to it. The few minutes per month that I am exposed to television . . . disgust me. I find it intellectually insulting at best. . .

Kids like the tv
- my wife will watch a downloaded series in a couple of sittings -

get to circumvent the adverts -
- and to avoid waiting for a week or so
(an eternity to the ADDer) -
to find out what happens next.

Filler episodes after waiting a week -
Noooo !!!

Dr Who -
what you playin' at Pertwee?

- > > - fast forward - > > -

incompatible with real time[legacy] -tv

... ... and now showing on legacy TV

24-7
(365 days of the year)

blah blah blah !Cronenberg had the :-) eye -
great post.

first movie (video)
- I ever saw

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081455/

ADDers blowing the minds off nonADDers -

http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:uUr_ajqfdSoIlM:http://www.epix.de/images/scanners4.jpg

..........'doink'

eXistenZ (1999)
Crash (1996)
The Fly (1986)
Videodrome (1983)
Scanners (1981)
The Brood (1979)
Shivers (1975)

just the ones I can remember with some bearing on reality in the here and now.

Parasites which make us 'horny'

- the nature of pain
and reality
(and their interplay)

- great themes.

dormammau2008
01-29-09, 11:09 AM
hey uk sb i watch tv often find it infortiavtive on alot thingss as my intrestes are verded on meny thingss do you have a few things you injpy??? dorm

stillfightin
01-29-09, 09:47 PM
Yes, it's one of my escapes from reality.

Aven
01-30-09, 11:51 AM
I keep my tv on all night in my bedroom on low for background noise -drives mr girlfriend nuts but it is hard to sleep without it.

SB_UK
01-30-09, 03:57 PM
hey Dormy !

hey uk sb i watch tv often find it infortiavtive on alot thingss as my intrestes are verded on meny thingss do you have a few things you injpy??? dorm

video/sound is a great medium for learning -

I have a problem with scheduling -

- I setz mi :-) schedule -

not some scheduler.

A great product would be a computer program which could be set, automatically recorded, deleted the adverts - and then sent us a text message when the series was ready.

Really don't watch anything real time these days
(anything real time, as it's happening)

I have an old USB WinTV -
and have set a scheduling program to record a series
- and then tried to use a couple of programs which claim to be able to remove adverts -

the problems I ran into
(this was a couple of years ago and with free software)

- TV schedules are not accurate and the system I used did not alter based on changes to scheduling
- the advert removal software I tried required a little human intervention -

and so I gave up

- because fully automated it was not.

kwalk
01-30-09, 05:01 PM
i stopped watching t.v. after I had too much to do for college to be able to sit and do it. Now I can't really watch it at all anymore. My problem always was that I got bored sooner or later of every show and had to rent season dvds, or just about every new movie that came out. I dont have my video store anymore anyway, but now even when I set myself down to try and watch it, I just can't watch it!!!!!!

ADHDTigger
01-30-09, 06:03 PM
I can only watch TV if I am doing something with my hands. Beadwork, knitting, crochet, sewing- doesn't matter but it has to be something.

Oddly, I have a hard time sleeping if it isn't on.

stef
01-31-09, 04:40 PM
all I can say is, there's a marathon of Heros on today, OMG....

dormammau2008
02-01-09, 07:51 PM
hey hey uk sb thats what i though about porgameing a to set the tv and have no advters as well and a few ither things two whats you injoy watching?? dorm

SB_UK
02-02-09, 03:30 AM
hey hey uk sb thats what i though about porgameing a to set the tv and have no advters as well and a few ither things two whats you injoy watching?? dorm

I enjoy watching 'kids watching' with wide open eyes and then being asked what 'losing one's head' -
whilst resisting the temptation to subvert impressionable minds.

#1 at 5yrs has just discovered and is loving TinTin -

yesterday -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventures_of_Tintin
Work was halted on Land of Black Gold, and the already published Tintin in America and The Black Island were banned by the Nazi censors, who were concerned at their presentation of America and Britain.---PS---

IT'S SNOWING :-)

yay!!!

whats you injoy watching?? dorm

great big flakes of snow a-fallin' and a partridge in a pear tree.

SB_UK
02-02-09, 04:11 AM
whats you injoy watching?? dorm

this sort of thing

http://www.expertvillage.com/

but not whatever appears on your screen if you click -
(I have some sort of hippy woman with a 'How To' fly ??)

hmmm...

http://www.google.co.uk/images?q=tbn:fAr-3BnMRAbeHM::www.fromourheart.com/Store/images/Sesame_Street/Big_Bird_14.jpg

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/120545_nia-exercise-moves-l-shaped-2.htm

???

(play without sound for the full effect)

mostly 'How-To's' in electronics and fixing dumb problems around the house without calling in a joker plumber, electrician, builder -

- absolutely am not interested in financing their alcohol habits.

dormammau2008
02-03-09, 01:58 PM
i like tintin as well as all cartoons and sooo meny other thingsssss iam allways wild eyes even now lol ahaha hope your well sb uk dorm

SB_UK
02-03-09, 04:41 PM
big birds can't fly
:-(

do you think she's talkin' to snuffleoffalgas ?
there's clearly nobody in the room and she is *talking*.

Maybe she could become an airline pilot or astronaut or befriend a Disney albatross or sumptin' hey :-) dorm.

davidlaska
02-06-09, 12:26 PM
I enjoy 'picture in picture' or two sets, so I can watch the 'other' one during a commercial. It is not 'fool proof' though!

RiverIsSerenity
02-06-09, 02:55 PM
I grew up watching ALOT of TV and movies. I'm a sci-fi fanatic born to a sci-fi fanatic so TV and Movies were a big deal in our house. I don't watch alot now, just have specific shows that I follow. We don't even have a TV at home. We watch on HULU, and Netflix online and get DVD's in the mail from Netflix. I'd estimate my weekly watching at 8 hours a week. That's not alot is it? :o

Mincan
02-07-09, 09:26 AM
I don't watch TV. Unfortunately its the most powerful mind control device yet created and its being used to make minds less powerful rather than moreso. I'll pass on most of it. I actually got digital cable for a couple months than decide 50 dollars a month to watch 1-2 hours of TV during said month was worthless. :)

SB_UK
02-07-09, 02:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptj2qKIswLw

:-)

y00ch
02-10-09, 02:33 AM
SB_UK. My post got shut down! Thanks for your incites. I really do appreciate your thoughts.

Johnnny
02-10-09, 10:34 PM
Hockey!!!!!

kettish
02-18-09, 01:14 AM
Nope, not anymore! LOL. DH was basically raised by wild televisions in the jungles of Chicago (but he's originally from India, so I imagine the television was even more fascinating to him than an American-born child) while his parents worked several jobs to keep the family together and fed in the US. So he watched waaay too much as a kid, and continued that habit as an adult-until we got married.

I was essentially kicked out of the house as soon as I woke up, allowed back in between 11 am and 2 pm, then kicked back out until bedtime. During the school year it was about the same, but we were allowed to watch a little TV right after school. Johnny Quest was my fave for a long time until Cartoon Network started showing DBZ and other anime. :P

I can't stand watching or listening to TV or radio now if I'm at home; home should be quiet and simple and clean, for me to relax. He loves having all the lights on even in the middle of the day and having something making noise. After a few months of him coming home, snapping all the lights on and the blinds shut, and turning the TV on for hours until it was time for bed, we had a 'discussion' and he reluctantly agreed to stop getting cable.

Best decision ever. I'm more relaxed, he pays more attention to me, and life is all around better IMO. We're even getting to bed earlier and having free time to do things occasionally LOL!

Ebzy
02-19-09, 02:53 AM
I remember watching a lot of tv as a kid.. but I also remember being outside a lot as a kid and being in my room playing with toys, so I'm not really sure if it was a real lot or not.

dormammau2008
02-21-09, 05:50 PM
i watched alot edagcail films when i was young ans still do it now

dorm

LisaJW
02-21-09, 10:13 PM
TV bores me to death! If I watch anything it is a DVD or if it's bad weather then I will have the TV on in case of any severe weather reports.

RedSkittles
02-23-09, 12:54 AM
yuck, no, I hate TV. Especially the kiddie nickalodian shows. they try to be funny and it doesn't work!!

mr.lazy
02-23-09, 07:34 AM
i only watch tv shows that i ahve recoreded I HATE ADs!
and thats really only bout 3 tv shows a week

noodlzzz
02-23-09, 12:06 PM
I found watching TV in the morning made me alot more restless in school, so I dont do that anymore.
I watch the odd US weekly drama and that's about it. Im all about the computer

dormammau2008
03-12-09, 01:22 AM
i watch tv a fair bit as well! ;.)
all kinds ofve thingsss

dorm

and here and on computer as well

Contrast
03-20-09, 10:35 AM
Theres nothing more I hate than adverts so i only really stick to BBC channels and download anything else i want to watch. I'm a big fan of Lost and Its Always Sunny in Philli.

Mincan
03-20-09, 10:37 AM
No. Propaganda. Mind control. Evil. Bad. Sin... and other platitudes! :P

Now, in all seriousness, no I don't watch TV for various reasons.

CrystalShiloh
03-20-09, 11:36 AM
I have always been a bookworm. I think that could be because when I was growing up, we couldn't afford cable. These days, I tend to leave the television on educational channels for background noise. It gives my mind something to mull over while I do mundane tasks that require no thought. Without background noise, I would be bored out of my gourd.

wsmac
03-27-09, 12:08 AM
We had the t.v. on a lot when growing up.. even during dinner.."wsmac..Stop watching the television and eat your supper!":rolleyes:

But I also ran outside quite a bit.
I probably spent more time outside than in, seeing as how I grew up in West Texas, with plenty of warm days and desert.

Once I got out on my own, no more t.v.
I didn't own one until my late 20's when my future wife and I got one to hook a vcr up to.

No cable.
No sattelite.
No Tivo

I'll probably be watching some t.v. tomorrow night because I'll be in a hotel room.:D by myself :D:D with no one else to fight over for the remote:D:D:D

I pretty much just keep pushing the channel button until something flashes on that looks interesting.

Once I get tired of that, I'll crank up the computer and the internet... tune in and I'll see you there!;)