View Full Version : Electroshock Therapy?

MadRockMonster
08-05-07, 05:37 AM
For extreme bouts of deep black depression, where suicide seems the only SANE answer, (when I'm out of them it almost seems as if I was brainwashed) that last at least a month and come from once to three times a year usually, my current doctor has suggested that electroshock therapy might work for me. He said he's never had one of his patients do it before but he's read a lot about it and said it's nothing like how it use to be, not like the movies. Of course I pictured Jack Nicholson in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. My doc said he's not sure if anyone in this area provides the treatment but he'll look into it.
I am TERRIFIED of the thought, but I did hear from friends that they mercifully put you to sleep during it now. I also heard it causes memory loss, and apparently what memory will be lost is unknown til after the treatment. But that is all hearsay. Anyone here have the treatment? Or reliable info on it?

QueensU_girl
08-05-07, 02:04 PM
1. Some people have concerns that ECT and other forms of treatment for women's "mental disorders" are triggered by social factors. (e.g. sexism, learning/acheivement problems, trauma or abuse, early life losses, poverty/home instability, parent's problems interfering with one's early parenting)

The mental health 'system' chronically fails to address as causal factors for maintaining people's 'mental illness.' (Every researcher, sadly, is on the search for the 'gene'.)

2. For example, did you know that having a high ACE score (www.acestudy.org (http://www.acestudy.org)) is a bigger risk factor for 'mental illness' than having 2 (TWO) Parents with Schizophrenia.

3. Sometimes periods of being shutdown, as you describe, can be a period of Dissociation. People shutdown (or even enter psychotic depression) when triggered (not always conciously) by overwhelming stress. Dissociative Disorders are way underdiagnosed. People can 'disappear' for days (internally), and most sufferers are female, and those with mood issues, IIRC.

re: ECT illness-ography
4. Dr. Kay Jamieson wrote a book about her ECT treatments. (She has bipolar and took ECT for her depression when nothing else works.)

re: TCMS (trans-cranial magnetic stimulation)
5. You may first want to try TCMS which is a non-invasive, non-permanent form of treatment for depression.

- Has your Doctor talked to you about TCMS treatments as an option?

It was accidentally discovered that when some depressed people went for MRI scans, that they felt better after. (An MRI is basically a big Magnet.)

TCMS is a magnet that rolls over the skull.

http://www.sfn.org/index.cfm?pagename=brainBriefings_transcranialMagn eticStimulation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcranial_magnetic_stimulation

MadRockMonster
08-22-07, 10:46 AM
Thank you for your reply and info. At the next appt. with my doctor he mentioned nothing of the shock treatment, and I forgot to :faint:
BUT we are both very happy with a bipolar med he tried on me, no one ever thought I had bipolar before because they (and I) always heard that to be bipolar your moods must swing quickly, within 24 hours or so. But my doc said they're finding out LOTS more about bipolar right now and a single mood swing can actually last muuuuuch longer.

ah09087
08-22-07, 04:01 PM
I heard some pretty terrible things about shock therapy. I stumbled upon one guys blog who'd gone through it. He had nothing remotley positive to say about it.

Crazygirl79
08-22-07, 07:32 PM
It has it's positives and negatives but I personally wouldn't do it as I never know what it could do to my mind.

Selena:)

Crazy~Feet
08-23-07, 01:44 AM
Thank you for your reply and info. At the next appt. with my doctor he mentioned nothing of the shock treatment, and I forgot to :faint:
BUT we are both very happy with a bipolar med he tried on me, no one ever thought I had bipolar before because they (and I) always heard that to be bipolar your moods must swing quickly, within 24 hours or so. But my doc said they're finding out LOTS more about bipolar right now and a single mood swing can actually last muuuuuch longer.OMG yea! In fact as far as I know, its actually more of a norm in certain BP disorders for cycles to last for days, as opposed to hours. I don't think that ultradian-rapid-cycling in adults is very common, although I know it does happen.

Stop by the Bipolar Section, we have a TON of stuff on the newest Bipolar info. Glad you are responding to the meds! What are you taking?

MadRockMonster
08-23-07, 04:07 AM
OMG yea! In fact as far as I know, its actually more of a norm in certain BP disorders for cycles to last for days, as opposed to hours. I don't think that ultradian-rapid-cycling in adults is very common, although I know it does happen.

Stop by the Bipolar Section, we have a TON of stuff on the newest Bipolar info. Glad you are responding to the meds! What are you taking?
He's got me on Zyprexa, just started me on 2.5. I think I felt different than ever before and better by around the first week. He said that makes him thinking of switching my meds around and lowering my 40mgs of Lexapro. And something about a pill that's this type of med and prozac that he will then try on me. I can see myself outside of myself now. Before I knew nothing about me. I hated me. I couldn't be proud of any of my accomplishments because I lived all alone in my own little world (my head) and all I could see of myself was thru other people's eyes, and my assumptions of their view. Now for the first time I respect myself. I have twice already stood up for myself and magically (for the first time ever again) it didn't cause a fight and I got the respect I deserve. I 'bout fainted both times it happened. I don't know what I'm doing differently yet. I'm calmly telling them in a careful way that compliments them too that I won't be bothered with fighting. I'm scared of the doc messin' with my meds too because I don't want to lose that new sight. But then again if he gets me on an even better mixture maybe I will become the person everyone sees and I can see it too and I will stand proud and be social and feel strong and like myself and omg....wouldn't that be wonderful?

Crazy~Feet
08-23-07, 04:21 AM
It certainly would be! I can't say that's what my medications have done for me, that's for sure. My medications stabilized my bipolar and the rest came from me. :)

I certainly hope he has his information together and that's why he is lowering the Lexapro. SSRI antidepressents have been known to trigger, increase the incident of, or exacerbate mania/hypomania in bipolar patients. Not that it always happens? But its a concern to be respected for sure.

Makes me wonder about that Prozac component...I think I have read about that medication for bipolar though. I remember seeing the page and wondering about the SSRI portion then, too...but darn if I can remember what its called anymore!

MadRockMonster
08-23-07, 04:31 AM
It certainly would be! I can't say that's what my medications have done for me, that's for sure. My medications stabilized my bipolar and the rest came from me. :)

I certainly hope he has his information together and that's why he is lowering the Lexapro. SSRI antidepressents have been known to trigger, increase the incident of, or exacerbate mania/hypomania in bipolar patients. Not that it always happens? But its a concern to be respected for sure.

Makes me wonder about that Prozac component...I think I have read about that medication for bipolar though. I remember seeing the page and wondering about the SSRI portion then, too...but darn if I can remember what its called anymore!
Oh GREAT! I don't have mania/hypomania on my diagnosis sheet yet! :mad: What is it anyway?

Crazy~Feet
08-23-07, 04:39 AM
Mania/hypomania constitute one "pole" of bipolar disorder symptoms.

Criteria for Manic Episode (DSM-IV, p. 332)

A. A distinct period of abnormally and persistently elevated, expansive, or irritable mood, lasting at least 1 week (or any duration if hospitalization is necessary).

B. During the period of mood disturbance, three (or more) of the following symptoms have persisted (four if the mood is only irritable) and have been present to a significant degree:

inflated self-esteem or grandiosity

decreased need for sleep (e.g., feels rested after only 3 hours of sleep)

more talkative than usual or pressure to keep talking

flight of ideas or subjective experience that thoughts are racing

distractibility (i.e., attention too easily drawn to unimportant or irrelevant external stimuli)

increase in goal-directed activity (either socially, at work or school, or sexually) or psychomotor agitation

excessive involvement in pleasurable activities that have a high potential for painful consequences (e.g., engaging in unrestrained buying sprees, sexual indiscretions, or foolish business investments)

C. The symptoms do not meet criteria for a Mixed Episode.

D. The mood disturbance is sufficiently severe to cause marked impairment in occupational functioning or in usual social activities or relationships with others, or to necessitate hospitalization to prevent harm to self or others, or there are psychotic features.

E. The symptoms are not due to the direct physiological effects of a substance (e.g., a drug of abuse, a medication, or other treatments) or a general medical condition (e.g., hyperthyroidism).

Criteria for Hypomanic Episode (DSM-IV, p. 338)

A. A distinct period of persistently elevated, expansive, or irritable mood, lasting throughout at least 4 days, that is clearly different from the usual nondepressed mood.

B. During the period of mood disturbance, three (or more) of the following symptoms have persisted (four if the mood is only irritable) and have been present to a significant degree:

inflated self-esteem or grandiosity

decreased need for sleep (e.g., feels rested after only 3 hours of sleep)

more talkative than usual or pressure to keep talking

flight of ideas or subjective experience that thoughts are racing

distractibility (i.e., attention too easily drawn to unimportant or irrelevant external stimuli)

increase in goal-directed activity (either socially, at work or school, or sexually) or psychomotor agitation

excessive involvement in pleasurable activities that have a high potential for painful consequences (e.g., engaging in unrestrained buying sprees, sexual indiscretions, or foolish business investments)

C. The episode is associated with an unequivocal change in functioning that is uncharacteristic of the person when not symptomatic.

D. The disturbance in mood and the change in functioning are observable by others.

E. The episode is not severe enough to cause marked impairment in social or occupational functioning, or to necessitate hospitalization, and there are no psychotic features.

F. The symptoms are not due to the direct physiological effects of a substance (e.g., a drug of abuse, a medication, or other treatment) or a general medical condition (e.g., hyperthyroidism).

MadRockMonster
08-23-07, 04:47 AM
Well then I'm not mania/hypomania then cuz my happiness only lasted minutes at most. Sparks.

Crazy~Feet
08-23-07, 04:58 AM
OK maybe I am being unclear at this time of day. Dexie go byeeee byeeee by now.

In order to qualify for bipolar disorder, you have to have exhibited one of these at least once. It can be hard to determine that, in particular hypomania, and there are "black" manias/hypomanias that are anything but elated...they manifest as irritability, etc. like it says in the criteria. Mania/hypomania is not the same as happy.

In any case bipolar meds are being used on treatment resistant depression these days and getting some good results I hear.

MadRockMonster
08-23-07, 02:01 PM
OK maybe I am being unclear at this time of day. Dexie go byeeee byeeee by now.

In order to qualify for bipolar disorder, you have to have exhibited one of these at least once. It can be hard to determine that, in particular hypomania, and there are "black" manias/hypomanias that are anything but elated...they manifest as irritability, etc. like it says in the criteria. Mania/hypomania is not the same as happy.

In any case bipolar meds are being used on treatment resistant depression these days and getting some good results I hear.
Oh no I'm sure it was me confused not you. It was late at night and there was no way I could read that whole thing - I skimmed it. Thank you for the info. I'll reread it.

Crazy~Feet
08-23-07, 02:49 PM
:) You're welcome. Hopefully it was helpful in some way. See ya over in the Bipolar section then?

MadRockMonster
08-23-07, 04:52 PM
:) You're welcome. Hopefully it was helpful in some way. See ya over in the Bipolar section then?Already there :D Thanks