View Full Version : What was your coaching experience?

healthwiz
08-12-07, 03:51 AM
Lets start a thread about our collective coaching experiences.

Step one, first Rank your coaching experience. Step two, tell more about how the coaching experience was, and anything you can share with us about the experience.

healthwiz
08-12-07, 04:07 AM
I did not feel like my ADD coach new how to interpret anything outside of his own sphere of experience with his own ADD. His experience with his own ADD was his main reference point. I didn't stay with him long, only 2-3 months before I figured out it was not going to work. He was very nice, and he did not complain when I ended the arrangement.

I may try coaching again. I would have to find the right coach.

Jon

Michiko74
12-22-07, 05:46 AM
I did not feel like my ADD coach new how to interpret anything outside of his own sphere of experience with his own ADD. His experience with his own ADD was his main reference point. I didn't stay with him long, only 2-3 months before I figured out it was not going to work. He was very nice, and he did not complain when I ended the arrangement.

I may try coaching again. I would have to find the right coach.

Jon
Wow I'm wondering if we have the same coach! *lol*

I'm with a coach right now, and granted it's probably too early to assess him but so far I'm not exactly impressed for the reason that Healthwiz pointed out; he doesn't seem to understand other 'types' of ADD outside his own.

He's also mentioned how he's supposed to be working for me, I'm in control, but I'm not seeing either of these. He also mentioned how I would be doing most of the talking. So far, I'd say he's pretty much monopolized the conversation.

I'm going to make my suggestions, and see if he takes them. I'll try to stick it out but I have a feeling that we may have to cut our arrangement short.

Tara
12-22-07, 05:03 PM
It's hard to find the right match in an ADHD Coach. There are so many different factors to why it might not be the right fit. In all honesty I don't think I was quite ready to work with an ADHD Coach when I first hired one. Since then I have also hired other ADHD Coaches who were very helpful to me. For me I needed to make a personal connection with the coaches before I worked with them. I've actually met the ADHD Coaches at conferences who I ended up hiring.

There are other ways to get to know a coach before actually hiring them. Some ADD Coaches have their own blogs. You can get to know their style by reading their blog. Many also have ezines or newsletters you can read to get introduced to their style.

A lot of ADHD Coaches also offer free teleclasses/teleseminars. If you can't meet an ADHD Coach in person at a conference or other live event before hiring them then I think going to one of their teleclasses is probably the next best thing. During the teleclass you can get sense of who this person is and they can also introduce you to their understanding of ADHD.

healthwiz
12-25-07, 03:29 AM
From what you described, I dont know if they are the same, but my impression is they are similar in that each of us felt the coaches were meeting their own needs, envisioning themselves as being terrific, all the while doing a pretty poor job of coaching. In their minds, they were great! But in my experience, what they tell themselves and others about their great skills has little or nothing to do with their real skills in a multitude of situations with a multitude of clients. To say a coach helped one or two people, is not to say they are a great coach, as it only means that under certain circumstances things worked out well. To be a good coach you have to be able to make a difference in someones life, for longer than the phone call, and more consistently among the population you treat, not just on a few cases that perfectly fit into the coaches nitch. The coach must also recognize theiir niche client who they are successful with, and not presume tobe successful with everyone.

My coach spent a lot of time talking about himself, validating himself, digressing, talking about his own life, how he survived ADD and became a coach, etc, etc, etc. Its a real theatrical piece, but come on, I can go to a lot of movies to be entertained for a lot less than the coach would charge. Thats why by and large I prefer a well trained broadly educated clinical psychologist with a specialization or deep understanding of ADD.

As for your dilemma, I would not spend three months of your money figuring out if this is going to work, it already sounds like a coaching relationship that is not going to make it. Move on and find a coach you sync well with, that is my opinion.

Sincerely,

Jon

Wow I'm wondering if we have the same coach! *lol*

I'm with a coach right now, and granted it's probably too early to assess him but so far I'm not exactly impressed for the reason that Healthwiz pointed out; he doesn't seem to understand other 'types' of ADD outside his own.

He's also mentioned how he's supposed to be working for me, I'm in control, but I'm not seeing either of these. He also mentioned how I would be doing most of the talking. So far, I'd say he's pretty much monopolized the conversation.

I'm going to make my suggestions, and see if he takes them. I'll try to stick it out but I have a feeling that we may have to cut our arrangement short.

healthwiz
12-25-07, 03:33 AM
Tara

You and I have historically ended up on opposite ends of so many topics. This time, however, I am solidly in agreement with you, and appreciative of this great piece of advice.

I bet you never thought you would hear those words from me. :)

Have a Happy Holiday.

Sincerely,

Jon

It's hard to find the right match in an ADHD Coach. There are so many different factors to why it might not be the right fit. In all honesty I don't think I was quite ready to work with an ADHD Coach when I first hired one. Since then I have also hired other ADHD Coaches who were very helpful to me. For me I needed to make a personal connection with the coaches before I worked with them. I've actually met the ADHD Coaches at conferences who I ended up hiring.

There are other ways to get to know a coach before actually hiring them. Some ADD Coaches have their own blogs. You can get to know their style by reading their blog. Many also have ezines or newsletters you can read to get introduced to their style.

A lot of ADHD Coaches also offer free teleclasses/teleseminars. If you can't meet an ADHD Coach in person at a conference or other live event before hiring them then I think going to one of their teleclasses is probably the next best thing. During the teleclass you can get sense of who this person is and they can also introduce you to their understanding of ADHD.

Silicone
02-06-08, 03:20 PM
My doc/shrink requires all newly diagnosed ADDers either come in or call in for appointments every two weeks with one of his staff therapists/coaches for the first three months. What a complete waste of money and time!

I am so frustrated with the person I'm assigned to that I'm only making appointments monthly when I need a refill. I suspect the problem has a lot to do with the age difference. It's hard for me to take seriously someone 30 years younger than me with little experience in this field.

But then, I've been wrong before and I'm willing to take into consideration that I'm wrong about this. But I don't have any insurance to cover the medication and if I'm going to spend money on coaching, I'd much rather pick my own coach.