View Full Version : Nervous about school?

Paige1989
08-12-07, 10:40 AM
I don't know about everyone else,but I'm excessively anxious about the coming schoolyear. I'll be a senior and with difficult classes, college applications, financial aid, etc, I'm really worried. It doesn't help much that last year I was hospitalised for a bipolar episode and I'm worried about that happening again...I'm going to try to schedule bi-weekly parent-guidance counselor-student conferences so I can assess how I'm doing and all and if I'm having trouble with a class, get that teacher involved as well...but I'm still worried. :confused: Any advice or similar stressful experiences?

Paige

Paws13
08-12-07, 01:33 PM
I'm worried for school too. It starts TOMORROW! :eek:

I just moved to Arizona from Rhode Island, so I'm starting a whole new school with new people, new rules, new everything. I'm going into my junior year, so I really have to start thinking about what sort of college I want to go to and what I where I want to direct my life. Plus I didn't do very hot last year, so everyone is expecting me to change this year (including myself...).

At least school will finally give me a chance to meet new people and have an excuse to get out of the house on the weekends :p

QueensU_girl
08-12-07, 02:04 PM
Do you haave a support system in place?

My old school used to have a group called Mood Masters or something, for students on campus with relapse issues.

Get connected to campus services? (e.g. doctor and counsellor at student health centre, etc)

Paige1989
08-12-07, 07:58 PM
That'd be nice...that's why I'm trying to set up the bi-weekly conference...to get everything out in the open and all.

Paige1989
08-14-07, 01:22 PM
!!! I have 23 days (not inculding today) until school starts. !!! I'm not sure I can handle that...It sounds soooooo much closer than it actually is. :S And the fact that I'll be a senior and will have to deal with financial aid/college applications/future in general terrifies me. -___- Plus, I'm taking three college level classes and a full schedule - most seniors opt to take less classes because they're not required...I almost took five college-level classes and came to my senses, but now three sounds like a lot more than it did before and I'm only about forty pages into a 540pg. book that I have to read so I'm stressing about that, too...usually, I'm a pretty fast reader, but only when I'm interested (hyperfocused)...which I'm not. Ugh, not sure y'all can help - I just needed to vent.

Paige

livinginchaos
08-14-07, 03:24 PM
hi Paige!!

I think it's a great idea for you to have bi-weekly conferences. I love that you're being so proactive.

I don't know about you, but when I have "future" stress I make lists. You could set up time lines for yourself and perhaps that will help relieve the stress of having to get all of that stuff done.

Do you know what you want to go to school for?
You can make a list of schools you'd like to apply to.

Applying for financial aid is easy (probably the easiest of all the things you're worried about), but don't leave it for last minute!

Sarah - - are you excited to meet new people? I admire you! I think it would be difficult to move later on in high school years. I think you're such a positive person!
How was your first day of school???

Paige1989
08-14-07, 08:15 PM
I'm mainly looking at JMU - James Madison University in Virginia. I fell in love with the school about a year ago, but have yet to visit the campus - I just like the programs they offer and the website...I'm also considering William and Mary, VA Tech, UVA, and a couple other Virginia schools. It's cheaper to go in-state, plus I have separation anxiety issues so I'd like to stay close to home...

And Sarah, I'm not good with meeting new people...I stick to a small group of friends because I'm very shy and nervous around people, but a Public Speaking class I took in sophomore year made it a bit more bearable. My first day isn't until for about three weeks but it sounds sooooo much closer. :S I think I'll go try to read that Crime and Punishment book...I want to get to page 100 by the end of the night if possible.

~~Paige

Paige1989
08-15-07, 11:44 AM
*Sigh* I met with my guidance counselor to set up the bi-weekly meetings today and no luck. She doesn't have a free period to do that because of the nature of her job so it'll be like last year - as-needed basis. It worked to a degree last year, but I thought more consistency would help...eh, I'll figure something out, I suppose. I always do.

~Paige

livinginchaos
08-15-07, 04:05 PM
i'm sorry, Paige!!

Do you see a therapist? that might work as well. At least you're getting in some talk time :)

Paws13
08-15-07, 09:37 PM
Sarah - - are you excited to meet new people? I admire you! I think it would be difficult to move later on in high school years. I think you're such a positive person!
How was your first day of school???
First day wasn't great because I hadn't met anyone yet, but yesterday was better, I met some friends. And they don't call me Sarah (I hate my name :faint: )... although they don't call me Paws either, they call me by my last name. I like this school I go to better than my old one actually :D

FrazzleDazzle
08-15-07, 10:35 PM
Paws, we are neighbors now! I don't have any words for you other than welcome to the hood here, and I hope you like it here. Good time of year to move, eh??? LOL.

Paige1989
08-16-07, 08:46 AM
Livinginchaos -

Yes, I do see a therapist weekly...just wanted extra refuge because last year happened to be a literal Hell if you ask me. Chemistry=PURE evil...doesn't help that the teacher couldn't teach and wasn't technically even certified (long-term sub)...

But, I've gotten to the mindset that things can only get better after last year. And it helps that, being a senior, I had my pick of classes since I have most of my cores done. ^_^

~~Paige

ah09087
08-18-07, 03:41 AM
I know how you feel. I'm so nervous about school everytime I think about it I almost start to cry and then I start getting panic attacks:faint: . I just know that this is the year they're going to kick me out.:(

Paige1989
08-18-07, 12:38 PM
I have panic attacks as well....I don't think they'll throw me out, but I know I'll have a lot of issues. I mean, my bipolar plus advanced classes really don't mix...and my counselor is leaving mid-year on Maternity leave so I'll have to get used to someone different and this one JUST gained my trust last year....just worried of failure as a senior.

Expressions
08-18-07, 01:27 PM
I'm nervous about my last year of middle school. 8th grade used to sound cool, but yeah things change. Ugg I have midterms this year and finals, I'm just like WHAT!? They pick this year to do it? I mean I know it's preparing us for hs and every thing, but on top that test after test after test. I'm going to be very very busy this year. My final are the last 3 days before the last day of the school year. I'm used to having fun during those days, not cramed inside a hot room with paper and pencils with nothing to do but write and think only of wanting to be at home, ugg this just sucks big time. A part of me just wants me to get this year over as fast as I can, because I HATE the school, but another part of me wants me to make a imprint on the faces of all the students, teachers and anyone else that said I was bound to fail or was already a failure. I want to spit in their faces and laugh at them. I've learned that they don't and they won't controll what I make of myself, I controll that.

But yeah I'm nervous about school big time, nobody likes me their. My cousin dray is three and a half months older then me so he gets to go off to hs. I feel like I skipped a grade of people that I actually would of gotten along with, but because of my stupied late birthday I couldn't go on with them and it sucks. Everyone in my grade is immature except for like barely a handful of people and they actually sorta like me. Ugg did I already say I HATE my middle school? :D

boone1
08-18-07, 07:25 PM
I am really scared because I am starting college in two weeks! :eek:

I wasn't very good at school because the teachers didn't really understand so I am going to college packed with info for my teachers. I just hope they are willing to listen and understand.

ah09087
08-20-07, 01:44 PM
:DGood luck boone1!!:D

DontFeedThisOne
08-25-07, 09:42 PM
Paige I'm a senior too :) And heck am I scared. First of all, I have a lot of coursework that is in for just over a week and I haven't done it yet (same old same old...kicking myself....again), and the pressure in school cranks up this year due to the extra stuff going on, that you mentioned (college etc). The whole thing terrifies me, and I'm scared I'll screw up like the last year.
Oh - JMU is a university quite close to me, but I live in England. Its called John Moores University, and I have no intention of going there because its close and plus they dont offer the sort of courses I want to do (art&design). Just thought I'd mention that because its interesting ^^;

Erm...I'm not quite sure how the whole school system works in America, but do you have a Head Of Year? If you do, you could consider trying to discuss the matter with them, since s/he is the one who recieves the teacher feedback. But I guess the effectiveness of this depends on how big your year size is, and whether your head of year is prepared to help or not. It's just an idea. My head of year is really devoted to the year's welfare, and there's about 160 students in my year; he manages it really well. Is there such a person in your school?

but another part of me wants me to make a imprint on the faces of all the students, teachers and anyone else that said I was bound to fail or was already a failure. I want to spit in their faces and laugh at them. I've learned that they don't and they won't controll what I make of myself, I controll that.
Great words, Expressions! I also have that desire to prove everybody wrong. Unfortunately the past school year I failed to do that. But from Sept 3rd I'm a senior and am trying to be as determined as I can.
I certainly hope you spit in their faces and laugh at them. Go team!

And good luck, boone1!

boone1
08-26-07, 03:49 AM
Thanks ah09087 and DontFeedThisOne. :D

DontFeedThisOne, good luck with your coursework, I always manage to finish at the last minute!

Paige1989
08-28-07, 03:21 PM
Dontfeedthis -
Yeah, I have just under a week to finish the rest of Crime and Punishment...and, if I continue my routine, I'll finish it the night before. :S I'm trying to finish it sooner, and I'm actually about half-way through now! Though still think I'll have a last minute scramble... Just need motivation, I guess. And I can relate to the courseload...mine's not exactly light. >.<

Um...we don't have a Head of Year in that sense, but each core class department (English, Social Studies, Sciences, Maths) have a head of department, but they're teachers. Mostly, the teachers talk to each other about students they both have and if there are issues, they usually go to guidance and/or the vice principals. Guidance is pretty much my saving grace because I can pretty much go there any time I'm overly stressed/stimulated. So though we don't have a Head of Year, we do have methods of communication. It'd be reallllllly hard to have something like that in my school anyway because my graduating class is a little over 300, I think. And trust me, I'm scared I'll screw up like last year as well. :S I ended up in a mental institution because of my bipolar instability peaked. :S

And the university shortened-names is an interesting tidbit. :P

~~Paige