View Full Version : No window desk? That'll cost you $33M, she says in suit

addusin
08-12-07, 12:55 PM
Okay, not ADHD related but how many of us here can relate to workplace discrimination? The kicker? This lawfirm this secretary is suing specializes in disability claims! :eek:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wn_report/2007/05/26/2007-05-26_no_window_desk_thatll_cost_you_33m_she_s.html

blueroo
08-12-07, 03:34 PM
She spoke to Hill and "reiterated her need to be placed in a different workplace as a reasonable accommodation," and was fired later that day, the suit alleges.

Hill said Dontfraid's new seat was just 3 feet from a window.

"I said, 'Why don't you give it a few days? If you're not comfortable, I'll do my best to accommodate you,'" Hill recalled.

"She just refused to take her work station ... What was I going to do? Workers have to work."

Dontfraid declined to comment, telling a reporter, "I'm not going to go there."

Hrmmmmm...

I'm not a lawyer, but even I know that is definitely not how you negotiate an ADA accommodation with your employer...

addusin
08-12-07, 09:18 PM
Hrmmmmm...

I'm not a lawyer, but even I know that is definitely not how you negotiate an ADA accommodation with your employer...
I'm not a lawyer either, but her reaction could have been based on a loose interpretation of Dontfraid's "new seat was just 3 feet from a window":

Was this window a tiny one high up, located in the supply closet or in the boiler room?
Was the window facing an ugly brick building that prevented any sunlight from ever entering her office?
Was the window a large size but had a huge bookcase that blocked any sunlight?
Did a desk come with her new seat?

We just don't know until she files her lawsuit and the details come out (which they probably never will since 99% of these things get settled out of court with records sealed.)

Newbie28
08-12-07, 09:24 PM
People are way too sue happy.... its like the whole world is waiting on the chance to screw someone else over.. I think Im going to sue myself because I am always causing myself problems, and there's nobody else to blame but me...

ozchris
08-12-07, 09:27 PM
Haha that's exactly how I feel Newbie. We gotta be careful these days people are sooo greedy

addusin
08-12-07, 10:06 PM
People are way too sue happy.... And how the heck does she justify a $33,000,000?? I don't even think the Secretary of State earnes that much in a lifetime!

Newbie28
08-12-07, 10:14 PM
And how the heck does she justify a $33,000,000?? I don't even think the Secretary of State earnes that much in a lifetime!
must have been a $33,000,000 view...