View Full Version : Cooking with ADD

Xeon
08-15-07, 09:35 AM
I am constantly forgetting food in the oven, or i'll get a soda out of the fridge and leave it on the kitchen table and then completly forget why I even came down the kitchen and go back up stairs. After a while you get used to the smell of burnt food and excessive thirst.

FYI, playing guitar is a very distracting activity.

busyhermit
08-15-07, 10:24 AM
I hear ya. I'm not a bad cook at all - but I'm constantly boiling things over and burning them. You just have to find ways to work around that. Here's mine:

1) I got one of those ceramic-top stoves. Now I can just wipe up all of those boil-overs instead of having the clean the whole stove every other day. They're more expensive, but SO worth it.

2) Set the oven timer whenever you put something in the oven. If the timer goes off and the food isn't quite done, be sure to RESET the timer for a few more minutes or whatever it needs.

3) I try not to sit down to eat until I'm completely done cooking - otherwise I'll likely burn whatever's still cooking.

Just have to dump out all those half-empty sodas. I've tried re-cooling them in the fridge because I hate the waste, but it just doesn't work - yuk! :p

Xeon
08-15-07, 10:30 AM
I've tried re-cooling them in the fridge because I hate the waste, but it just doesn't work - yuk! :pFlat soda.....yuckkkkkkk

Gadgetgirl
08-15-07, 12:41 PM
A trick that works for me is to take the oven mitts with me wherever i go when I've got something in the oven, its hard to forget when you look down at the coffee table at a pair of oven mittens which so obviously shouldnt be in the livingroom.

Fraz_2006
08-15-07, 12:49 PM
The trick is too set a stop clock, lets say the food need's to cook for 20 minutes, set an alarmed stop clock for 20 minutes (make sure it is high volume) and no matter where you are in the house, you will hear the alarm go off.

I make this constant mistake too :D

Jett
08-15-07, 05:06 PM
I have burnt so much stuff it isn't even funny. I have also waited an hour for things to cook and then found out I forgot to turn the oven on. Hmmmm... LOL

I used to have a sign that read " When the smoke alarm goes off, dinner is ready"

I totally agree that a timer is a great idea. Just make sure that you are somewhere in the house where you can hear it go off.

boone1
08-18-07, 08:35 PM
I am constantly forgetting food in the oven, or i'll get a soda out of the fridge and leave it on the kitchen table and then completly forget why I even came down the kitchen and go back up stairs. After a while you get used to the smell of burnt food and excessive thirst.

FYI, playing guitar is a very distracting activity.
yes, playing guitar is very distracting, I could play it for hours without noticing. I am not allowed to cook unsupervised in my house because everytime I cook we have to get fire extinguishers out!

Newbie28
08-18-07, 09:33 PM
I just tend to stay in the kitchen and clean and what not, so I rarely forget about food in/on the oven... I do like the idea of the oven mitts though.. i do that to remember other things.. not with oven mits, but ill put something in my pocket that shouldnt be there.. like a spoon, or a bottle cap..

QueensU_girl
08-18-07, 10:20 PM
Executive Function issues 101, eh?

Paithan
08-18-07, 10:29 PM
When I was kitchen manager, the only way I could really keep from over-cooking food was to actually carry the thermometer around. There were plenty of my cooks that would give me a hard time when I would walk by them and the thermometer would be clipped to pocket of my chef coat. It was the only way I could figure out how to do it. I did seem to get the last word when the ones who kidded me about carrying my timer would burn something. It was also very helpful to remember meetings and stuff like that.

It was a great idea, but a timer sticking out of a pocket on a chef coat didn't look that much out of place... I don't think it would work with other uniforms LOL

meadd823
08-19-07, 06:18 AM
Get take out, slap it between two pieces of bread, or pop it into the microwave as the microwave turns itself off. Lucky for me my husband does most of the cooking. I cook maybe once a year. . . .

ProcrastN8R2
08-19-07, 11:21 AM
A trick that works for me is to take the oven mitts with me wherever i go when I've got something in the oven, its hard to forget when you look down at the coffee table at a pair of oven mittens which so obviously shouldnt be in the livingroom.

Ha - I would just wonder briefly why the oven mitts were there and then go back to whatever else I was doing.

Or else I would go into the kitchen to remove burning objects from the oven and be frantically searching for my oven mitts with no recollection whatsoever that I put them on the coffee table.

ProcrastN8R2
08-19-07, 11:24 AM
I have burnt so much stuff it isn't even funny. I have also waited an hour for things to cook and then found out I forgot to turn the oven on. Hmmmm... LOL

I've done that more times than I can count!

I also tend to stand next to the elevator patiently waiting for it to stop on my floor until I notice I never pushed the button!

piglet
09-18-07, 06:51 AM
When I'm overtired but feeling excessively Responsible is when I burn stuff, because I should NOT be cooking in that state but the little voice in my head invokes gulit that I'm not properly feeding my family if I don't give 'em some home cookin'.

QueensU_girl
09-23-07, 10:06 PM
I use a ricesteamer to make stuff up. e.g. brown rice; various types of plain beans, etc.

Then I mix the cooked rice with the cooked beans (and some defrosted frozen vegetables; bright and dark veggies, preferably).

It's a complete protein (rice + beans combination), and stores well.

Can put flavour toppings on it, like marinade sauces or stuff like that.

For example, last night I put some Teriyaki stuff on it.

QueensU_girl
09-23-07, 10:08 PM
Or I mix in some barley in with the brown rice while it is cooking. Their cook times are about the same.

I try to avoid white rice, as it has had most of the nutrients stripped off, when the brown coating is removed (polished). The brown stuff that makes rice brown is what has the most nutrients.

FrazzleDazzle
09-23-07, 10:55 PM
Last Thanksgiving, I got out the turkey from the oven, and it looked a little strange, the legs were a bit askew; just didn't look right. I realized somehow I had cooked the thing upside down; breast down! :eek:

Turns out, it was the best turkey I had ever done, as all the juices ran through and to the breast meat rather than down to the cavity and the pan, and drying out the breast meat. I will definitely continue to cook my turkeys this way! :p

It was a very happy accident.

Kamin>
09-28-11, 08:15 PM
Cookbook authors and chefs may disagree with me, but I have found that in the vast majority of cases, cooking time is very predictable.

Same recipe, same portions, same stove, same temperature settings, same elevation, same conditions? Same cooking time! I pretty much set a timer and take the food out when it goes off. I've operated that way for years. Just make sure you've figured out how long it should cook first, and remember that cooking times listed in recipes are not always reliable. Especially make sure you don't undercook things like chicken by trusting a new recipe.

rickymooston
10-22-11, 10:18 AM
I need a timer too or I will forget causing something to burn.