View Full Version : ADHD and Social Anxiety

gracek
08-16-07, 01:27 AM
Hi guys,

Just wondering what combo's of medications are recommended for ADHD with Social Anxiety.

I've heard Wellbutrin is good but the side effects include weight gain? Any ideas?

Thanks heaps,

Grace:)

Imnapl
08-16-07, 01:54 AM
Actually, Wellbutrin is considered weight neutral which means you don't gain weight and may even lose some.

speedo
08-16-07, 06:25 PM
The medications for ADHD with social anxiety disorder are usually the same as for ADHD with any anxiety disorder.

The ADHD is typically treated with a stimulant and the anxiety disorder is often treated with an SSRI like paxil or prozac, or even with an atypical antipsychotic such as risperdal.

Wellbutrin is sometimes used as well, but I don't know about the effectiveness of it for treating anxiety as wellbutrin can exacerbate anxiety and there is a precaution about wellbutrin and anxiety in the fact sheet for wellbutrin. Nonetheless a lot of docs prescribe wellbutrin for anxiety disorders and it does work for some people.... oh and wellbutrin is also good for your adhd because it acts nicely and lets your brain soak in dopamine a little lnoger than usual... SSRI's are bad for attention so they can slightly reduce the effectiveness of stimulants given to improve attention. In small doses risperdal is actually good for attention and very good for anxiety.

And yes wellbutrin is weight neutral and many people do report weight loss on wellbutrin. Risperdal is weight POSITIVE in a big way. if you take risperdal you will gain some weight. I'm not sure but I think SSRI's are weight neutral....someone correct me on this if I am wrong.

Me :D