View Full Version : Seeing a neurologist on Monday...

mjpm
08-18-07, 12:17 AM
So I'm seeing a neurologist on Monday, firstly YAY! secondly I wanted to know what usually happens on the first visit and if there are any questions that will be asked or that i should ask... i ask this because i'm not a fast thinker if i'm not prepared and will most likly leave something important out...

so you don't have to read my other posts, i'm 15, pretty sure i have TS (hence the posting in this forum about a neurologist), and i also think I may have ADD (this i'm less sure of but a lot of the signs are there, is ADD something neurologists deal with?)

I'm kind of unprepared so i don't know.. :o

ozchris
08-18-07, 12:23 AM
I can't advise you on what to expect from a neurologist but I have the same problems of remembering important things when I'm put on the spot.

I'd recommend writing down a list of what you want to discuss with him and take it with you. I've gotten used to doing this and it makes things much easier.

mjpm
08-20-07, 01:11 PM
<!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> Thanks, both my parents went with me so they knew my history, but I wrote stuff down, my tics and questions I had and I think it went well.

I got a few blood tests done to check other things but she said it was probably TS, we didn't go too into detail about it just background, physical, tics in general but next time we'll probably get more on medications, OCD and ADD (both my parents have OCD like symptoms but not diagnosed and i also have some symptoms of it and ADD..)I guess

she did say it sounded like it was bad enough to need medication but like i said we'll probably talk about that more next time.

QueensU_girl
08-20-07, 01:21 PM
what is the overlap of TS and AD/HD? (e.g. percentage wise in either direction)

mjpm
08-20-07, 01:58 PM
I have bad TS but just mild ADHD but still bothersome in school and other things but she was more concerned with OCD so its worse than the ADD but milder than the TS but we didn't really talk much about that, it was a short visit but i'll make sure it gets talked about more next time

speedo
08-20-07, 05:52 PM
Based on what I've read, TS pretty much comes with ADHD by default.

I'm glad to hear that you are closer to a good solid dx. I'm of the opinion that it really helps a lot when it comes time to get the symptoms treated.

good luck!

Me :D

mjpm
09-07-07, 07:57 AM
Well I saw the neurologist again yesterday and she gave me Clonidine she said to watch out for feeling dizzy because of low BP but she said its the only one she really likes and it will help with the OCD as well so thats good... I took my first one lastnight and fell asleep in about an hour, which is good because i usually don't get to sleep until after 1am and i start school today!! S, has anyone had good results with it?

speedo
09-07-07, 05:18 PM
I take tenex. It is very similar to clonidine. It really does a good job reducing my hyperactivity and it does help with motor tics and anxiety a bit. I still have to take something to improve my attention, so I take a small dose of wellbutrin.

Me :D

mjpm
12-05-07, 07:15 PM
Well, I've been on it for a while now, it has worked great for most of my tics. Unless I'm having a bad day or stressed out, I don't have too many, and they're not near as strong as before. I have been feeling a little burnt out here and there, usually physically, like I've been running for hours, but don't actually want to stop.
It could be stress or from walking 20 min, to school and back twice a day (I come home for lunch). It's not that big of a deal either way.

Since, and maybe during my last posts in this thread I've done a lot of studying on Aspergers Syndrome.
Apart from a few small things it made everything seem clear and the more i read the more sense it makes.
I haven't really brought it to my parents attention until recently.
I wanted to be sure I thought I had it and could back it up, instead of giving them an empty word to think about, you know.
I picked up "The Complete Guide To Asperger Syndrome" by Tony Attwood, after reading it, along with many sites of information, 'diagnostic'' scales...ect.
I find I think it fits kind of like a puzzle.

I could be wrong, but back when I was reading up on ADHD 24/7 I was still a little iffy because of a lot of the symptoms I didn't have.
They appear to have a lot in common from a observers point of view.
I meant to bring it up on my last neurologist visit, but even though she oddly asked if there was anything, I couldn't remember what I wanted to say :rolleyes:
I don't see her until the 8th of next month, not too far away, but I'll have time to think what to say.
-------------

Also, If you'd like to know, I'm doing very well in school, 73 is my lowest mark, I'm pretty sure anyway, unless it changed.
At the PT meeting, all my teachers said I was doing very well on tests, but poor on in class assignments.
So we talked to the special ed teacher, and I'm allowed to work in the resource room instead of the class room.
They also brought up AS, it hasn't been brought up too much, but it hasn't been too bad.
I still don't have friends yet, but I don't really care that much right now, if I make some, good, If not, oh well.