View Full Version : Teachers

Revz
08-20-07, 12:17 AM
Maby it is because i am in the "slower" classes due to the fact i rarly turn in homework (hopfully this will change now that i am taking the right meds). But i often find my self questioning my teachers Intelligence.. they just seem so dumb sometimes :faint: :faint: . usually i end up playing games with them and seeing how far i can screw with thier minds (the dumb teachers are no fun because they crack almost instantly but smarter teachers actually play the game with me and its really fun to see where it leads). i also always catch them screwing up and i seem to have the ability to make them constantly question them selvs and this makes them screw up even more its really entertaining to watch/play. im by no means a "nerd" i rarly study and can usually Ace tests from what i learn in class... if it were up to me tests and quizes would be 100% of the grade... homework doesn't measure your knowledge of anything.. its built to measure how good you will be working in some cramped cubicle 20 years from now...wasting away.

sorry just kind of ranting.... what to do when you have bad teachers?

and i mean bad not just average teachers but flat out bad teachers (i usually get these seeing as im in the "stupid" academic social class and we are the kind that get the bad teachers). Actually i catoragized the most frequent type of bad teacher ive run into, i call them textbook teachers why? well because i could go ahead and read the textbook and i would be geting the exact same kind of education... i thought we went to school to get the human element... this is garbage even if i am a bad student who doesnt turn in home work.. i still love learning i often pursue education that im interested in outside of school i see experts in the field read books w/e i can in my spare time while im not hanging with friends n such. i swear i could learn more by reading books in a library for a week then i will over the entire next YEAR of high school ive got left...

PLEASE PLEASE!!! tell me the educational process and teachers get better in college

Tara
08-20-07, 12:47 AM
I always had problems when I didn't respect teachers. I couldn't do well in class if I didn't like a teacher. The whole thing is crazy because I was the one who suffered. The teachers still got their pay checks but I was the one who got bad grades and had to deal with the consequences.

I learned the hard way that most of the students who did well in school weren't any smarter than I was they just just went along with the system. Yes, they system stinks but in the long run it does help us more to follow it. I never learned much from home work but as much as it doesn't seem to make sense, doing it usually is a big part of the grade in middle school and high school.

My husband told me he never like school but he figured out and accepted that it was something he needed to get through. He said he really wasn't expecting to learn much. I on the other hand even after my own struggles as both a student and an educator still think that I should actually learn something in school.

Revz
08-20-07, 12:58 AM
I always had problems when I didn't respect teachers. I couldn't do well in class if I didn't like a teacher. The whole thing is crazy because I was the one who suffered. The teachers still got their pay checks but I was the one who got bad grades and had to deal with the consequences.

I learned the hard way that most of the students who did well in school weren't any smarter than I was they just just went along with the system. Yes, they system stinks but in the long run it does help us more to follow it. I never learned much from home work but as much as it doesn't seem to make sense, doing it usually is a big part of the grade in middle school and high school.

My husband told me he never like school but he figured out and accepted that it was something he needed to get through. He said he really wasn't expecting to learn much. I on the other hand even after my own struggles as both a student and an educator still think that I should actually learn something in school.
yeah i know it is.. a big part of me not doing the homework was the ADD i think now with these meds i can get a lot better grades (hopfully). And i did learn a lot from school ;) more about people and the way they behave and why... but on the actual classes? ok yeah i learned stuff there to but the thing for me is.. idk i just wish there was a system that kids could participat in that would be like.. us rating the teachers and teacher peer review so they could sort out the crapy teachers.. i think it has a lot to do with the fact its a public school system and the govt pays for it... so who honestly cares about fixing it up?

Marty
08-23-07, 01:46 PM
yeah i know it is.. a big part of me not doing the homework was the ADD i think now with these meds i can get a lot better grades (hopfully). And i did learn a lot from school ;) more about people and the way they behave and why... but on the actual classes? ok yeah i learned stuff there to but the thing for me is.. idk i just wish there was a system that kids could participat in that would be like.. us rating the teachers and teacher peer review so they could sort out the crapy teachers.. i think it has a lot to do with the fact its a public school system and the govt pays for it... so who honestly cares about fixing it up?

I found out the hard way that I shouldn't have messed with (some of) my teachers. But most of the time I can be the nice guy in class and be sort of productive.

as of your meds. I've experienced that even my med raises gave me better marks so I hope for you that that will work out well.

pershingd
08-23-07, 07:59 PM
I like your question...

As a kid in school,I played with the teacher's minds when they deserved it. I still get irritated when a person in charge treats his/her pupils as though they are ignorant. I think my ADD played into this because I often caught onto things that the other students seemed oblivious to.

As a teacher, I feel I can answer your question about some teachers' intelligence. Yes, some teachers are not nearly as smart as they would like you to believe. They often don't stay in a specific position long and are completely unaware of how their students perceive them. There are other teachers that are a lot smarter than people give them credit for, but they just don't know how to handle kids in an educational situation. Some teachers are very smart and know how to handle the classroom so that the students respect them. Unfortunately, the 'idiots' in the profession are not limited to the public schools. They have contaminated the ranks of college learning as well.

I could go on for pages about the stupid things my teachers and, later, my peers have done to kids - but that wouldn't be getting anywhere. The problem with the classes for "lower-performing" kids is that there are few teachers talented and dedicated enough to reach out to them. Most of the teachers I know want the classes filled with brainiacs rather than the ones they might have actually use some teaching skill in. When they are forced to teach classes they don't want to teach (I know of one that REFUSES to teach lower level classes) they get grouchy and treat the kids like they are stupid and wasting their time.

You are pretty much on the mark about not allowing students feedback in teacher evaluation. I'm sure that a few kids would not take it seriously and be malicious, but enough would provide valuable feedback that would be useful in determining the best teachers. Teachers, for the most part, are terrified of the concept. If it was allowed in the last school I worked in, there'd be some teachers out and some would still be there. Teacher evaluation, in general, is more political than performance based. Brown-nosing the right people at the right time gets all the cruelity that's been dished out convienently overlooked.

I left my last position not because someone told me I was not getting the job done (in fact I got the highest evaluation I've ever had), but because I knew that I wasn't giving the kids what they needed. Rather than taking that frustration out on the kids, I walked away and allowed someone else take a stab at it. Does this mean I'm not a good teacher?

I don't know - the jury is still out on that one.

Remember one thing - you get out of your education only what you put into it. I've learned lots from some people who would be better off digging septic systems than teaching. I've also learned next to nothing from the extremely intelligent teachers I've had.

David