View Full Version : Cyclothymic Temperment - Validated Criteria

Scattered
08-20-07, 01:05 AM
I got a new book (surprise, surprise :rolleyes: ) and wanted to share a bit. It's a textbook published by Kay Jamison (author of Touched by Fire) and Frederick Goodwin called Manic-Depressive Illness: Bipolar Disorder and Recurrent Depression. One interesting tid bit I found was this validated criteria for Cyclothmic temperment. I thought there was a lot of overlap with ADD. Of course, the authors also questioned whether ADD was really a seperate diagnosis or just part of the package with bipolar, depression, anxiety, etc. What do you all think about this?

The criteria Jamison and Goodwin put under Validated Criteria for Cyclothymic Temperament:

Biphasic subclinical mood swings with abrupt and labile shifts, and with variability in duration, measured from hors to a few days. At least four of the following constitute the habitual long-term baseline of the subject:

*lethargy alternating with eutonia
*shaking self-esteem alternating between low self-confidence and overconfidence
*decreased verbal output alternating with talkativeness
*mental confusion alternating with sharpened creative thinking
*unexplained tearfulness alternating wtih excessive punning and jocularity
*introverted self-absorption alternating with uninhibited people seeking

justhope
08-20-07, 01:41 AM
LOL....well that explains it...I guess the Cyclothymia was dead on...

I'll have to check out that book, Scattered thanks as always for sharing!

Hope ;)

Scattered
08-20-07, 01:50 AM
LOL....well that explains it...I guess the Cyclothymia was dead on...

I'll have to check out that book, Scattered thanks as always for sharing!

Hope ;)Most of it fits pretty well for me too on the milder end of things. The book comes in two volumes -- I just have volume I now, but hope to order II.