View Full Version : Anxiety, Depression, ADD/PI - Antidepressants not helping?

busyhermit
08-20-07, 11:28 AM
Got into another depression recently and decided to try and improve my outlook and life by going back to therapy and meds after 10 years off. I'm dealing with GAD, SA, dysthymia with occasional deeper depressions and strong evidence of ADD/PI (testing's not done yet). I've tried a variety of anti-depressants throughout my life, with little effect, and that is what the doctors have gone for again. Tried Effexor for about 3 months because I thought it was one that had helped me before. Strangely, it didn't seem to help much this time. I guess I felt a little better, but just the fact that I'd finally taken action after all these years made me feel a little elated - it's hard to say if the medication had anything to do with it. It did, however, cause all this crazy-spastic jittering, rocking and sleeping problems at just 150 mg., so they just switched me to Zoloft. Granted, it's only been a couple of weeks (I just finished the gradual switch), but the jittering, pacing and urge to rock is just as bad, and I'm having more and more problems with procrastination.

Normally I'm a work-aholic, but will also go into overwhelmed "frozen" states, where I am extremely anxious with lots of nervous movement, but cannot seem to get up and do the things I need to. I'm totally hyperfocusing on the two forums I participate in, when I need to be doing work (I work at home). I'm freaking out about it, but still can't move. :faint: So I already have this tendency at times, and these antidepressants seems to be making it worse!

I'm wondering if anyone else has this particular subset of disorders and has shared the same experience with antidepressants. I'm wondering if an antidepressant is the wrong approach altogether. Perhaps it is the anxiety and/or ADD that need to be treated - I think that these are the cause of my depression anyways! I'd love to hear anyone else's experiences.

Crazy~Feet
08-20-07, 11:59 AM
Well, I cannot claim the same combination of disorders, but I can add my 2C.

A friend of mine here, a member called Scattered, had some problems that came about after antidepressents. Hopefully she will see this thread and reply. For her, as far as I can remember,the meds amplified a tic disorder that she was already predisposed to. I cannot speak for her, but I would venture that this can be a possible bad result from using antidepressents.

Then there is my own experience with antidepressents. I was misdiagnosed with chronic unipolar depression for almost 20 years, before I started seeing my current psychiatrist. Turns out that I am not chronic unipolar at all; I have bipolar disorder type II. What happened to me when I ingested antidepressents...and bear in mind that this was over a very long period of time, on one form of antidepressent or another...was that I would experience a lot of hypomania, which I, believing my depressions did not cycle, mistook for periods where the depression would magically lift and I would get to experience what I believed was "a really good mood that lasted for days".

Not to say that either of these would apply to your situation, but you did ask for other's experiences. So that's my 2C on antidepressents causing more harm than good.

busyhermit
08-20-07, 12:07 PM
Thanks CF - I do always appreciate your 2C. I just knew you'd be there to respond first - thank you. I'm feeling pretty freaky at the moment.

Crazy~Feet
08-20-07, 12:27 PM
Awwww shucks, ma'am :o...how did you know it would be me? Because, if you happen to be a psychic, I have this show I was thinking about taking on the road....

I kid, I kid! Are you feeling too freaky to laugh, even a little? If you are, then I apologize for my very silly attempt to provide a lighter moment or two in there for you.

Thank you for having faith in me as well. We all like a pat on the back every now and then, am I right?

How freaky is freaky for you? Keep talking if it will help in any way, I try to do what I can for the people who come into my little corner of the forum.

{{{HUGS}}}

busyhermit
08-20-07, 02:31 PM
Don't know about laughing, but I can smile :) :) :) . Thanks CF.

Freaky for me? Hmmm...thought I was going to vibrate out of my skin. It's kind of a dizzying, spinning out of control - like being caught up in a whirlpool and desperately trying to grab hold and hang on to something to keep from being swept away. Frightening, because I don't know where I'd go if I failed to hang on. Managed to get up and pack a few orders - a little mundane activity with no thought required - feel a little better now.

I just realized the obvious a little while ago - this is my baby's first full day of kindergarten, and it just feels wrong that he's not here. Disturbing. Probably the main reason for my anxiety today.

Crazy~Feet
08-20-07, 04:15 PM
Good idea! I would think that a change in what you have come to find comfortable and normal might easily make you feel that your usual boundaries were so different that you became anxiety-ridden over it.

Hmmmm the experience you relate as being freaky for you sounds a lot like when I have a triggering event that provokes me to begin a hypomanic episode. It always feels like something blooms suddenly in my stomach, and shoots upward...and becomes a mushroom cloud that takes me along with it. I hate that feeling, thinking that I might be powerless to come back down, and not knowing how high its going to carry me. It feels...really freaky.

busyhermit
08-21-07, 04:25 PM
OK, now this freaking sucks - - I'm losing my ****ing mind here. Do these (you know what) doctors know what they're doing with these (you know what) medications? I've been vibrating and jumping and rocking and repeating myself like a spastic broken record all day. Now I don't mind feeling weird, and no one is around to see me acting like a freak, but I'm over it. I'm starting to get that "got to get the **** out of here" feeling and nothing good ever comes of that. Can't get away from it. Can't escape...

Learned a cool new word anyway - akathisia. Just thought I'd mention it since my doctor didn't. Happened with the Effexor, so the Dr gives me Zoloft and it's even worse! Cripes. I must be stupid. When will I ever learn that there is no magic pill. Now I'm screwed up even worse.

Funny, getting lightheaded now, but probably because I can't seem to eat either. And that truly IS weird.

Man, I am messed up.

Messed...

up...

:(

Crazy~Feet
08-21-07, 04:40 PM
Great day! I looked that up! :eek:

Akathisia is a common and unpleasant side effect of many psychotropic medications. Junior doctors are often slow to recognise it with consequences for the patient which include reduced compliance, exacerbation of psychotic symptoms and an increased risk of suicide and violence. The word akathisia comes from the Greek meaning literally “not to sit’ and was initially used by Haskovec in 19021 to refer to restless patients with hysteria and neurasthenia. Akathisia is a relatively common side effect of antipsychotic medication, although other drugs including antidepressants, metoclopramide, some calcium channel blockers, dopamine agonists, amphetamine and buspirone have all been shown to cause it. The symptoms consist of objective and subjective components. Subjectively there are symptoms of dysphoria including tension, panic, irritability and impatience2 and objectively there are movements usually taking the form of shuffling of feet while sitting and pacing or rocking while standing. Fidgety leg movements may occur while lying down.3 The differential diagnosis includes agitation secondary to psychotic symptoms, the restless legs syndrome, anxiety, drug withdrawal states and a number of neurological disorders.

:eek: Hermit this is horrible!! Its not you that's stupid, if akathisia is what you are experiencing, its your doctor!

What are you going to do? This has to be really unpleasant and probably scary.

busyhermit
08-21-07, 04:57 PM
My little boy's coming home from school any minute. ...just....act....normal.....

breathe...

normal...

Thought of just dropping the meds - will go to half a pill tonite and see the dr tomorrow.

Funny. I'm realizing that I have been here before. when I was sobering up and in treatment. just thought it was me - being crazy - getting sober ... I was already suicidal, so those thoughts were nothing new. I remember checking out the ceiling fixtures in the detox room...seeing what my options were. All this time. I never suspected that the medication that was supposed to be helping me was what was making suicide look like such a cool idea.

.......I think it was Prozac that time, and Buspar (I see that one's listed, too).

Crazy~Feet
08-21-07, 05:27 PM
Well there are certainly other options out there for depression, you know. You may have to go off-label, but that's certainly got to be a better option than an intolerable side effect.

Let's get one of the guys here to help us surprise attack your doctor on the way to his car after work, tie him up and take him to men's room...and give him a swirly. I can watch one end of the hall and you watch the other, OK? If somebody comes, hoot like an owl...wouldn't want one of our guys to get in trouble, even if the action is perfectly justified.

busyhermit
08-21-07, 05:58 PM
Swirly... lol. I had to look that up...

Crazy~Feet
08-21-07, 06:13 PM
Well, don't you think he deserves it?? :mad: Doctor's are supposed to LISTEN to their patients!

busyhermit
08-21-07, 07:06 PM
True - but one must also learn to speak up. Better yet, just make it easier on everyone and tell them the diagnosis that you've already figured out for yourself. That way all they have to do is nod and agree and write a script if necessary.

busyhermit
09-25-07, 06:40 PM
Alright, so here's the lastest. The drs had me go a month or so off meds (is that all it's been? seems longer) so I could stabilize before trying something else. Sank into a pretty ugly depression this last week - getting back to my "normal" self - getting desperate. So managed to survive until the next pdoc appt which was today. The psych evaluation had come back, diagnosing me with major depression (duh), and now the pdoc thinks a mood stabilizer is NOT the right way to go. She's having me try another SSRI - Celexa/citalopram - only this time with Klonopin to hopefully keep me from freaking out long enough for the Celexa to work. Does this make sense? Taking med #2 to counter the side-effects of med #1 in order to benefit from the good effects of med #1 (?). I'm desperate enough to try anything right now.

speedo
09-25-07, 07:52 PM
Yes the combo of an ssri and klonipin makes a lot of sense for depression and anxiety.

Me :D

Crazy~Feet
09-25-07, 08:06 PM
Well, sometimes...I'd have to say I have seen times when that's necessary, a two-med combo in that case being the best option and the only way to go.

I am just so sorry this is so difficult for you :( I hardly know what to say this time. I dunno if I'd have the temperament to stand all this, myself. I'd probably freak out and pitch a fit or something. Clearly you have a lot more grace and patience than I do. :o

busyhermit
09-26-07, 08:40 AM
Thanks, guys. Dare I hope? Day one. Seem to be rattling a bit less. That's just fine with me.

CF - Don't think I've ever heard such positive words used to describe my temperment ;) . You're very kind. Truth is - I do my share of fit-pitching!