View Full Version : Basic Desoxyn questions

samrago
08-21-07, 01:55 AM
I'm looking around on this section of the board, and I'm getting very curious about Desoxyn. Because it appears to be one of the least-explained meds, it's striking me as inexplicably notorious.

I'm obviously behind in this regard, and you guys must know plenty about it. What I need is a proper introduction about desoxyn. So here are some questions.

What is desoxyn? How does it compare to other meds?
What are its effects, and how do they compare with other meds?
What does the media have to say about it? What are its controversies?

I see the term "the holy grail of meds" used REPEATEDLY to describe desoxyn in several places on the internet. I can't help but find that childish and laughable, but I'd really like to understand why it's revered so. Clearly there's something special about this drug, and I'd like to know what distinguishes it from others. Any and all info is welcome.

emo537
08-21-07, 05:20 AM
Ahh...well I can't fall asleep right now...not because of Desoxyn...but other reasons (I'm taking the Virginia Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam at 1pm today...)

hehe...Anyway, I think I'll take a stab at your questions.

What is desoxyn?
Desoxyn is a pharmaceutical form of methamphetamine and has been around since 1942. It is considered by many to be the "last resort" ADHD medication because of its increased and possibly "over-killing" efficacy, but also because of it's abuse potential.
Another couple uses for Desoxyn are Exogenous Obesity and probably Narcolepsy.

To tell you the truth, I've never actually seen the drug...not even in the pharmacy I work at, but I have seen it on a Drug list in the big red CII binder...(I'll get to the whole CII thing in minute)
Many pharmacists and doctors are not even farmiliar with the drug...and when I've asked them about it...they ask me if I'm pronouncing it correctly..."Desoxy-HUH?" At that point in the conversation I usually just call it quits... There is one pharmacist, an older man, whom I work with that has heard of the drug, though. I have also asked pharmacists from other stores about it and have some knowledgable feedback from like 2 others.

What are its effects, and how do they compare with other meds?

Well, its on about the same line and is molecularly very similar to amphetamine type meds...like Adderall and Dexedrine. I've read though, that it's 50% more effective/potent than the others though...which is interesting because it's not utilized very often...at all, as far as I can tell.

Its adverse effects, if I'm correct, are about the same as the other amphetamine type drugs, but possibly more so. The whole tachycardia/arrythmia/crazy heartbeat deal still applies, as well as decreased appetite.
Neurochemically, Dexoxyn differs from the others as well....I'll let someone else explain the details on this matter... It has to do with its affinity for norepinephrine, serotonin, and dopamine.

What does the media have to say about it? What are its controversies?

As with other numerous drugs, Desoxyn is surrounded by ignorance and hype...lots of hype...and as a result, its mislabeling as an extremely dangerous and highly abusable drug - which it very well can be, but in the hands of those that only have that in mind.

Methamphetamine, the pharmaceutical version, is considered to have a high potential for abuse and dependence by the Drug Enforcement Agency, which has earned it its spot on the Schedule II Controlled Substances list...along with Adderall, Ritalin, Dexedrine, OxyContin, Percocet, Fentanyl, etc... Its reputation as a street drug (Crystal Meth and such) has created more hype about its bad side and has seemingly wiped it off the list of drugs for the treatment of ADHD...I'd try it.

I've actually read that it is much better tolerated than other drugs by many many people concerning its Adverse effects.

I'll leave it up to the others on this forum to pick up where I've left off...especially those with experience with this drug...

Take it away guys...

eric

lars
08-21-07, 08:54 AM
I'm looking around on this section of the board, and I'm getting very curious about Desoxyn. Because it appears to be one of the least-explained meds, it's striking me as inexplicably notorious. Notorious? How so? Are you referring to the notorious reputation of street meth? If so, they are not the same thing.

Assuming that Desoxyn is the same thing as methamphetamine is like assuming that dextroamphetamine is the same thing as amphetamine. Anyone who has experienced the difference that exist between Dexedrine and Adderall can relate to this.

Neither Desoxyn, or Dexedrine are racemic mixtures like methamphetamine and amphetamine respectively. Desoxyn and Dexedrine are both single dextro isomers of said drugs. Desoxyn is actually dextromethamphetamine, and it works differently than methamphetamine for many, just like dextroamphetamine works differently for many compared to amphetamine.

What is desoxyn? I think I just answered this one.

How does it compare to other meds? I found Desoxyn to be the single most therapeutic stimulant drug I have ever taken, and I have taken them all (except Vyvanse & Daytrana). It is also the most expensive.

What are its effects, and how do they compare with other meds? We each can and do respond differently to these drugs, so what works best for one person will not always work best for another person. That being said, I found Desoxyn to have an extremely smooth stimulation, and virtually no negative side effects. The worst side effects for me with this drug included a feeling that is best described as being somewhat relaxing for me compared to the stronger feeling of stimulation that I generally prefer from stimulant drugs, and it was simply too expensive for what it delivered compared to Dexedrine.

What does the media have to say about it? What are its controversies? The media is a great place to go for hearing about drug hysteria, or perhaps anectdotal extremes associated with a drug, but I would never take what you hear, or read in the media very seriously without doing your homework.

What are its controversies? Well, for starters it's extremelly over priced for a drug that is as old, and as easy to manufacture as it would appear to be. In my opinion, I find the extremely high price to be very controversial for a number of reasons. The only other controversy I am aware of is how people (it would appear most people) confuse Desoxyn to be a prescription version of the racemic methamphetamine (I used to assume the same thing). Like I stated above, Desoxyn is just the dextro isomer of methamphetamine, and it works much differently than the racemic methamphetamine for many, many people.

I see the term "the holy grail of meds" used REPEATEDLY to describe desoxyn in several places on the internet. I can't help but find that childish and laughable, but I'd really like to understand why it's revered so. Clearly there's something special about this drug, and I'd like to know what distinguishes it from others. Any and all info is welcome. I can undertsand how that description might seem laughable, but having taken Desoxyn off and on over the years, I can also see how true that statement can be for many people.

I'm sure that you would like to "understand why it's revered so," but that does not mean that people who have experience with this drug can explain what you need to know. For example, you and I can both understand what the sun looks like. However, that does not mean that you and I can accurately explain what the sun looks like to a blind man. There are many things in life which can be easily understood, yet that does not mean that they can be easily explained. The only way you will ever understand what it is that you are wanting to understand is if/when you and your Dr decide to try Desoxyn out. Then, perhaps will you be able to understand why it is revered like it is. I hope this helps.

francis_r
08-22-07, 02:45 PM
Does tolerance develop more quickly for Desoxyn? Does the therapeutic does increase every x number of moths?

lars
08-22-07, 06:22 PM
Does tolerance develop more quickly for Desoxyn? Good question. I don't remember that being an issue for me, however we each can respond differently to these things, so maybe others may have had a different experience than myself concerning that.

Does the therapeutic does increase every x number of moths? Not from my experience.

Master Rat
08-24-07, 05:58 AM
My tolerance to Dex and Desoxyn are about the same that is why I rotate the two drugs.

After taking Desoxyn for over a year, I feel about as hyped about it as vitamins.

When I started mixing Focalin with the two drugs above, my overall doses went down in mg's and my success in life has gone through the roof. I am also happy for the first time in my life.

I recommend you try it.

So far I find it less addicting than chocolate :>) , when used responsibly.

Tom

renrac
08-25-07, 10:51 AM
Here is my experience with 5 mg Desoxyn made by Ovation (actually it is still made by Abbott for Ovation but has been reformulated). I took it for 14 months at a dose of 70 mg/day. Expensive? If I had to pay out of pocket it would have cost around $1300/mo. Fortunately I had insurance to cover. Works great for ADHD but my conclusion is it is generally not a viable adhd for me until it is reformulated for longer action and reduced abuse potential. Tolerance develops quickly and it just is a lousy formulation for the needs of an adhd sufferer. It should only be considered for the most treatment resistant forms of adhd, if at all. This is not a first line adhd med, it is a last resort only, especially as currrent formulated and available in the ir 5mg tablet. I would not recommend this drug, even though it did work for me. I currently am off it and will not go back unless I cannot find a suitable med that works well enough to deal with my adhd. perhaps then new Vyvase will do the trick.

ozchris
08-25-07, 12:01 PM
Here is my experience with 5 mg Desoxyn made by Ovation (actually it is still made by Abbott for Ovation but has been reformulated). I took it for 14 months at a dose of 70 mg/day. Expensive? If I had to pay out of pocket it would have cost around $1300/mo. Fortunately I had insurance to cover. Works great for ADHD but my conclusion is it is generally not a viable adhd for me until it is reformulated for longer action and reduced abuse potential. Tolerance develops quickly and it just is a lousy formulation for the needs of an adhd sufferer. It should only be considered for the most treatment resistant forms of adhd, if at all. This is not a first line adhd med, it is a last resort only, especially as currrent formulated and available in the ir 5mg tablet. I would not recommend this drug, even though it did work for me. I currently am off it and will not go back unless I cannot find a suitable med that works well enough to deal with my adhd. perhaps then new Vyvase will do the trick.Wat specific problems did you have with it renrak?

lars
08-25-07, 01:15 PM
Works great for ADHD but my conclusion is it is generally not a viable adhd for me until it is reformulated for longer action and reduced abuse potential.
I contacted Ovation earlier this summer, and I was told that there are no plans for a long acting version of Desoxyn at this time.

That being said, I would suggest that if this drug worked for you that you consider talking to your Dr about the possibility of having a compound pharmacy in your area compounding you a long acting methamphetamine HCL.

I hope that if you will keep us posted on how it works out if you and your Dr do decide to try that route.

jbc3333
08-31-07, 04:43 PM
Your point about adderall and dex was a great point.How are dex and dexosyn related and if thy are why does dexocyn seem to work a little diffrently from dexadrine. Ive never taken desoxyn im just going by some of the post Notorious? How so? Are you referring to the notorious reputation of street meth? If so, they are not the same thing.

Assuming that Desoxyn is the same thing as methamphetamine is like assuming that dextroamphetamine is the same thing as amphetamine. Anyone who has experienced the difference that exist between Dexedrine and Adderall can relate to this.

Neither Desoxyn, or Dexedrine are racemic mixtures like methamphetamine and amphetamine respectively. Desoxyn and Dexedrine are both single dextro isomers of said drugs. Desoxyn is actually dextromethamphetamine, and it works differently than methamphetamine for many, just like dextroamphetamine works differently for many compared to amphetamine.

I think I just answered this one.

I found Desoxyn to be the single most therapeutic stimulant drug I have ever taken, and I have taken them all (except Vyvanse & Daytrana). It is also the most expensive.

We each can and do respond differently to these drugs, so what works best for one person will not always work best for another person. That being said, I found Desoxyn to have an extremely smooth stimulation, and virtually no negative side effects. The worst side effects for me with this drug included a feeling that is best described as being somewhat relaxing for me compared to the stronger feeling of stimulation that I generally prefer from stimulant drugs, and it was simply too expensive for what it delivered compared to Dexedrine.

The media is a great place to go for hearing about drug hysteria, or perhaps anectdotal extremes associated with a drug, but I would never take what you hear, or read in the media very seriously without doing your homework.

What are its controversies? Well, for starters it's extremelly over priced for a drug that is as old, and as easy to manufacture as it would appear to be. In my opinion, I find the extremely high price to be very controversial for a number of reasons. The only other controversy I am aware of is how people (it would appear most people) confuse Desoxyn to be a prescription version of the racemic methamphetamine (I used to assume the same thing). Like I stated above, Desoxyn is just the dextro isomer of methamphetamine, and it works much differently than the racemic methamphetamine for many, many people.

I can undertsand how that description might seem laughable, but having taken Desoxyn off and on over the years, I can also see how true that statement can be for many people.

I'm sure that you would like to "understand why it's revered so," but that does not mean that people who have experience with this drug can explain what you need to know. For example, you and I can both understand what the sun looks like. However, that does not mean that you and I can accurately explain what the sun looks like to a blind man. There are many things in life which can be easily understood, yet that does not mean that they can be easily explained. The only way you will ever understand what it is that you are wanting to understand is if/when you and your Dr decide to try Desoxyn out. Then, perhaps will you be able to understand why it is revered like it is. I hope this helps.

ozchris
08-31-07, 08:24 PM
It should only be considered for the most treatment resistant forms of adhd, if at all. This is not a first line adhd med, it is a last resort only, especially as currrent formulated and available in the ir 5mg tablet.I strongly agree about it not being used as a first line of treatment but if they made an XR version wouldn't it keep you up for ages? I thought methamp had a fairly long half-life.

lars
09-02-07, 03:44 PM
How are dex and dexosyn related and if thy are why does dexocyn seem to work a little diffrently from dexadrine.Well, the two are related in that both Dexedrine and Desoxyn each contain as their active ingredient the dextro isomer of their parent molecules. For example, Dexedrine contains dextroamphetamine, and Desoxyn contains dextromethamphetamine.

Why Desoxyn seems to work differently than Dexedrine is a complicated thing to answer. For starters, Desoxyn is able to pass through the blood brain barrier faster than Dexedrine is able to pass through it. Desoxyn is also more soluble in lipids which makes it easier for it to permeate the fatty tissue of the brain once it gets there.

Lastly, they both seem to work differently from each other due to the fact that we all tend to respond to these drugs in our own unique ways more often than not.