View Full Version : Going to the docs

mattjonas
08-21-07, 06:28 AM
Hey everyone, for most of my life in school, I have been told by teachers that I have behavoural issues and even a few suggested that I might have ADHD and that I should seek some help. I never took these suggestions literally and just dismissed the comments, because for one I was afraid my parents would be upset with me and afraid of them thinking that I wasnt putting my full effort in school and goofing around. But now since I am about to start my final two/three years of high school, and these years will be the most important school-wise, I wanted to go and get my symptoms fixed.

So my questions are
Can I just go to my family doctor, and just tell him that I think I have ADHD?
Can I go to the doctor my self (Im 16)

Im sure if my parents get involved they will just tell me to stop being lazy and do my work, because they are foreign and dont really understand these kinds of problems.

Thanks, Matt

Paige1989
08-21-07, 01:33 PM
Uh, I think it depends on the state, but in VA, yes, you can go to the doctor on your own. The only problem may be monetary because it'll be expensive without insurance...But by all means try. :)

Paws13
08-21-07, 09:21 PM
I know in a lot of states you need to be 18 or older to go alone- otherwise, a legal guardian is necessary. I'm pretty sure you can tell your family doctor, but he would probably send you to a psychologist (usually in the same building) to give you a real diagnosis.

Give it a shot- you have nothing to lose.

KtBeth
10-06-07, 11:38 AM
Well, I was just diagnosed with ADHD this year and I am also 16. I would take one of your parents with you. Just tell one of them that you think you might have AD/HD and ask if they can take you to the doctor to find out.
I asked and also one of my bosses suggested to my sister (she worked with me) so my mom set up an appointment for me. Now I am on my first day of Adderall XR. trust me, it's much easier with a parent.

Hope I helped!

boone1
10-06-07, 03:43 PM
I don't know about the laws there either, but if you tell your parents they might not react how you think they might react. Print off a smptom list and show it to them.

If you tell your parents but you think you might not be able to say everything you need to say, you could write it in a letter. This way you will get a chance to say everything without them butting in with "your not working hard enough etc."

Matt S.
10-06-07, 04:01 PM
It'll be in your best interest to pursue treatment, and ask your parents for their support, if they are in denial, there's more reason to see the doctor