View Full Version : .5 mg of klonopin vs. .5 mg of xanax

balanced
08-21-07, 08:55 PM
Other than half life... what would be the difference?

Crazy~Feet
08-21-07, 09:06 PM
Hard to say, for me anyway. I think both of them worked fine for me but YMMV. I'm not much of a medications expert, but if you can hold that thought, as soon as I catch Lars online, I'll send him this way or drag him :D ok? Maybe he knows a bit more about them and can be more helpful.

Unless of course somebody else can chime in. That's all good too.

LittlePrincess
08-25-07, 06:03 AM
Other than half life... what would be the difference?I'm not sure if this will answer your question.... but just in my experience, I found that klonopin gave me a sense of calmness, *almost* to the point of sedation. Klonopin just made me feel really relaxed and really lifted my anxiety.
One word to describe xanax: Snoozeville! :faint:

Of course, this is ONLY my experience. Everyone responds to meds differently, so just keep that in mind. :)

Skatturd
09-14-07, 04:24 PM
Both are very similar but i've been taking Klonopin for 15 years and I swear, it's a freaking miracle drug ... I am prone to anxiety and panic attacks otherwise with some PTSD thrown into the mix ....

God bless Klonopin / Clonazepam ....!~

:eyebrow:

erik
10-01-07, 08:41 PM
i take .5mg clonazepam/klonopin, i'd pick that over xanax anyday.

along with prozac. :D

QueensU_girl
10-01-07, 08:48 PM
Xanax's half life is 11 hrs. Klonopin is a few days (30-45 hrs at least).

Don't drive, eh?

NB Benzos make ADD memory problems worse.

i'd recommend you get off those drugs.

Skully
10-16-07, 07:58 PM
Xanax did nothing for me. I ended up taking way more than I was supposed to and it still did nothing for me. The Klonopin did wonders. Really helped and didn't make me sleepy like Ativan. It all depends on each individual person and how they react to the meds.

QueensU_girl
10-16-07, 08:06 PM
talk to your doctor.

honestly, i recommend you get off that family of drugs. It's too dangerous to use on a regular basis. Sooner or later they're gonna give you a rough ride or "turn on you".

sprite
10-17-07, 10:17 AM
I have very minimal experience with the benzo class of drugs. But I took klonopin for a couple of weeks and it made me depressed. I've read other people say the same thing--that if you are prone to depression, klonopin might make you more susceptible to it (moreso than other benzo meds). But I am not sure how common this reaction is.

I've never tried xanax. I recently tried a very small dose of ativan before sleep and the next day I had a really good day. I felt much more 'up' and 'bright' in mood than when I took the klonopin. And it also seemed to help with the anxiety, whereas with the klonopin, I couldn't get the dose high enough to really help because it made me so depressed.

D.B. Cooper
10-21-07, 11:24 PM
They're considered to be 1:1 in dosing but in the experiance of lots of people the triazolo-ring on the xanax makes it more potent. Which makes sense considering in theory more would cross the BBB.

ozchris
10-22-07, 12:16 AM
Yeah I'll agree with most of you saying that xanax seems to be more potent and makes you more sleepy.

Make sure you try everything else to cope with your anxiety before taking these drugs (benzos) I mean EVERYTHING. Benzos should be the absolute last option for treating anxiety, some doctors seem to not understand what they can do to you.

Wow Skatturd 15 years! what dose are you currently on if you don't mind me asking?

I've heard from quite a few people that they found benzos harder to get off than opiates (heroin)

Detroit5000
11-10-07, 08:29 AM
Klonopin caused such bad amensia that I could not remember anything. I once when to take 1 .5 k-pin wafer and ended up for some reason taking 20mg. That was the worst day of my life. I'm on Xanax now for panic disorder and that works wonders as opposed to klonopin where I couldn't remember recent conversations and memories.

FatFreddy
11-30-07, 08:42 PM
I once when to take 1 .5 k-pin wafer and ended up for some reason taking 20mg.
Yeah, you gotta watch them half mg tabs... its easy to eat 40 of them all at once! :eek: LOL Good Lord, man! What were you thinking?!?!?!

I can imagine that your experience was rather unpleasant (since it probably almost killed you!). :faint: You are brave to admit this to others!

(back to the thread... sorry)
I agree that Xanax is a bit overpowering if you take enough to deal with the symptoms. Klonopin in my opinion is a very effective anxiety alleviator and I give it 2 thumbs up.

Skatturd
02-06-08, 01:16 PM
OZCHRIS -

1 mg. a day but I split them in half with a pill cutter
work faster this way too ...

so, usually no more than .5 mg. at a time ...
and yes to queensu girl - I am well awares of the potential for problems with benzos ... of course.... which is why I take it on an "as needed basis" and i've never found myself abusing it, ever ... thank the gods ...

JR1973
02-06-08, 03:25 PM
They are about the same really. Half-life is the big factor. Klonopin was actually developed as a tranquilizer for out-of-control primates.

1mg of Klonopin = 1mg of Xanax = 20mg of Valium.

J

Skatturd
02-07-08, 01:30 PM
no it was noticed during research on lab animals that it tamed them down considerably as well as other mammals ...

it's not a veterinary drug .

and i've taken all 3 and promise you it's more potent than valium or xanax per the same amount .

busyhermit
02-07-08, 03:19 PM
I take .5 mg of klonopin twice a day along with Celexa. I don't really notice a huge effect but it is certainly somewhat calming. I still have my anxiety and agitation but it's probably cut by half at least. Definitely gives some relief. My pdoc told me that once the Celexa was working it should help with the anxiety, and agitation should slow down - so I would go off the Klonopin at that point - but I'm worried because I don't see it happening. I've been on this regimen for a few months now and feel about the same. I've tried to cut down the Klonopin to .5 a day and the anxiety was terrible after just a couple days. So does anyone know - if the Dr wants me to go off the Klonopin, can I expect my anxiety to be even worse than when I started - due to withdrawl?

I'm also starting to think that the anxiety and agitation are getting worse while on the same dosage. Could be due to some stressful things going on in my life, but I also wonder if I can expect to build a tolerance to Klonopin.

Skatturd
02-08-08, 11:31 AM
I've been taking Klon. since Spring of ' 93 ...
Will always need some around for when the anxiety/panic monster jumps on to my head ... sounds funny but yeah ..

I don't buy this "temporary usage" theory ...
Anxiety/panic disorder doesn't ever go away ...
Can be lessened by getting a LOT of strenous exercise and eating high protein diet/low/no-carb diet and taking certain vitamins/supplements ...

QueensU_girl
02-08-08, 01:00 PM
re: 9

These drugs tend to make Depression or tendency toward low mood states, worsen, yes.

Same as how depressed people should AVOID alcohol.

QueensU_girl
02-08-08, 01:02 PM
re: 18

i agree. Panic/anxiety doesn't 'go away'.

It is the result of Conditioned Emotional Responses (think the classic "Little Albert" experiments done to make a child have phobias/fears/panic/anxiety reactions).

The only real treatment is to unlearn fear, and to learn to master ourselves and our bodies and how we choose to react (e.g. learning to challenge our automatic bottom-up processing (non-verbal) triggers) to panic/anxiety/fear.

Medicine is not interested in re-conditioning, however, as almost all "research" into 'treatments' is run by the Drug Companies -- so we only get pills....

busyhermit
02-22-08, 12:48 PM
I've been taking Klon. since Spring of ' 93 ...
Will always need some around for when the anxiety/panic monster jumps on to my head ... sounds funny but yeah ..

I don't buy this "temporary usage" theory ...
Anxiety/panic disorder doesn't ever go away ...
Can be lessened by getting a LOT of strenous exercise and eating high protein diet/low/no-carb diet and taking certain vitamins/supplements ...

Went back to see the pdoc a couple of days again and she raised my Celexa to 60mg and Klonopin to .5 mg 3x/day. I asked her - what about that original idea that the Klon. was only temporary? But, after observing me for these past several months, she has now changed her mind. She said that I may need to remain on an anti-anxiety all my life. I've had the anxiety all my life, so I don't find this surprising. Still, I do think that it can be reduced somewhat by working on those conditioned responses with my therapist.

I'm curious - is anyone else on a steady dose of Klonopin that high (1.5 mg/day)? Long term?

JustMe81
02-28-08, 10:45 AM
Are you kidding? Here we are discussing what kinds of AMPHETIMINES we take for ADHD, yet somehow the curse of Social Anxiety is only a learned behavior.

Honestly, are we really trying to say that the long term use of amphetimines like Adderall is les dangerous to health than taking a small dose of a Benzo every once an a while?

:confused:

re: 18

i agree. Panic/anxiety doesn't 'go away'.

It is the result of Conditioned Emotional Responses (think the classic "Little Albert" experiments done to make a child have phobias/fears/panic/anxiety reactions).

The only real treatment is to unlearn fear, and to learn to master ourselves and our bodies and how we choose to react (e.g. learning to challenge our automatic bottom-up processing (non-verbal) triggers) to panic/anxiety/fear.

Medicine is not interested in re-conditioning, however, as almost all "research" into 'treatments' is run by the Drug Companies -- so we only get pills....

despirit
03-20-08, 09:37 PM
Went back to see the pdoc a couple of days again and she raised my Celexa to 60mg and Klonopin to .5 mg 3x/day. I asked her - what about that original idea that the Klon. was only temporary? But, after observing me for these past several months, she has now changed her mind. She said that I may need to remain on an anti-anxiety all my life. I've had the anxiety all my life, so I don't find this surprising. Still, I do think that it can be reduced somewhat by working on those conditioned responses with my therapist.

I'm curious - is anyone else on a steady dose of Klonopin that high (1.5 mg/day)? Long term?
Lots of people use benzos long-term for anxiety disorders. I've read of people taking anywhere between 0.5mg/day to 8mg/day(very rare) of Klonopin in particular. I frequent a Social Anxiety forum where a lot of people are prescribed benzos, if you're interested in browsing around there. (link (http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/index.php)) Also, another informative site is socialfear.com (http://www.socialfear.com). Hope that helps. :)

From socialfear.com:
Klonopin (clonazepam): Klonopin is extremely effective for SP and usually works great. Klonopin can be taken either "as needed" or everday. "As needed" (prn) use can be done up to twice per week, and will usually provide excellent effect within 30 minutes, lasting several hours to 1 day (typical dose .25-.75mg). Taken "long term", Klonopin may be used alone, although sometimes a non-sedating antidepressant is added if depression also exists. Effective dose in long term use usually ranges from 1-5 mg/day (dose should be raised slowly over a period of weeks to months). If energy is sub-par but there is no "depression", the addition of low dose stimulant (caffeine, Provigil) may be helpful. Klonopin works so well that taking too much can result in "disinhibition", similar to the opposite of SP. Other phobias, excessive worrying and fear are likely to diminish also.

busyhermit
03-21-08, 08:08 PM
Thanks despirit - I appreciate the info - makes me feel better. I'm actually a member at SAS, but haven't been there for awhile. Can't remember why - oh yea, I found ADDF!

variance
03-25-08, 01:52 PM
Xanax is short release for acute severe panic/anxiety attaks. (more susceptible to abuse and addiction). It's taken as needed to those its prescribed for.

Klonopin is long half life for managing anxiety, OCD, etc on a daily basis.

Benzos develop dependence quickly.. I wouldn't advise taking a benzo for more than 2 weeks consecutively. (unless your doctor ok's it and you have a steady supply)
because sudden physical withdrawal from them is not pleasant.

there are actually two kinds of benzo dependences last time i looked... low dose dependence (maintaining anxiolyitic therapeutic effect) and the typical abuse profile dependence. (higher doses to get high) with their own unique mechanisms. course it was awhilee back so i could be off on this part... dammit now I have to go and find it because its going to bother me.

as for social fear as a learned disorder... i think there's too much circumstances to blame it either primarily on heredity or on environment. like most things. a influence of factors from both are the cause.

my personal anecdote regarding it developing it environmentally.. as a young kid diagnosed with ADD (teachers said i was doing fine after skipping a grade said i needed something natural, St John's Wort what a joke.)
Anyway I was constantly disciplined and all that for being loud, talkative, extroverted, outgoing, argumentative and assertive. (private church school)

By 7th grade pretty much beat it out of me to where up til college I was introverted, quiet, passive aggressive, self-conscious, (still argumentative) but not at all assertive.

since college i've rediscovered much of my old self.. but still somewhere in between getting over the passive aggressive tendencies that I had previously adapted. more assertive, etc.

there are hereditary reasons to explain social fear/anxiety as well (survival instinct). that looks like a cool forum too. Im gonna go check it out.

TheBrainiac
03-25-08, 02:06 PM
Perhaps one of the more notable differences is the potential for abuse between the two. Whereas alprazolam (Xanax®) is a triazolo-benzodiazepine and a very rapid acting drug that has the potential to produce profound euphoria in relatively low doses thus appealing to drug abusers. Clonazepam(Klonopin®) is a typical benzodiazepine relative to the first benzo created (which was chlordiazepoxide Librium®) however with a stronger effect per dosage unit. Clonazepam is noted for its ability to maintain effective anxiolytic action while seemingly losing its psychoactive euphoric effect after only a few administrations, therefore not being so attractive to drug abusers. Both drugs maintain similar inhibitory action upon ɡ-aminobutryic acid.