View Full Version : side effects from provigil

Desperate1
08-24-07, 08:10 PM
Okay, I've been good at being brief lately (mostly cause I'm too weak to type lots), but here goes (There's a longer and very annoying story behind this that I may share at some point.):

My doc kept me on adderall for ADD and gave me Provigil for my fibro/cfs. I'm not starting it for about 2wks due to pre-approval paperwork that needs to be done or something for the ins co, but I was just reading up on it and one of the side effects listed is infection.

???

I can't seem to find any information on this. Anyone have any ideas?

JR1973
09-09-07, 02:40 AM
Hmmm, never heard of that side effect. I've been on provigil for 3 months now and have zero side effects. I take 400mg a day.

J

netsavy006
09-09-07, 02:05 PM
That side effect seems odd to me seeing that Provigil is used to promote wakefulness and shouldn't affect the immune system. Does it say what type of infection is possible?

pharmacotherapy
09-24-07, 12:15 AM
I am a health care professional and can tell you the side effects listed in the package inserts are not acutually "side effects" but incidents that occured in the population taking the med in question. Meaning in pre-FDA approval studies enough people in the provigil arm got an infection while taking the medication to warrant mentioning. However, you must consider there are many reasons why infection may have been more prevalent in that population. Perhaps it was December and the incidence of the common cold happened to be higher in the provigil takers vs placebo. Manufactures list this information to help experienced clinicians guide therapy decisions. As a patient you may not know that provigil dose not act on the immune system. You have to consider the drugs mechanism of action (MOA) when evaluating likely side effects. Now the listed side effect of anxiety is likely induced by provigil and that would be a true side effect based on it's MOA and # of patients who experienced it. So a smart Doc wouldn't start provigil in an anxious patient. A good rule of thumb is to find a Dr you trust to work with and discuss your concern.

QueensU_girl
09-24-07, 12:47 AM
Perhaps it alters immune function somewhat? Or the people are sleep deprived, who are taking Provigil (which lowers immunity) predisposing test Subjects to infection?

I don't understand why a person needs two alertness drugs, but anyway...

NB If you have fibro/CFS and are needing two alertness increasing drugs, I am wondering if you have had a sleep study?

Makes sense to get all a person's sleep data before Rxing drugs, IMNSHO. (Otherwise it's just kind of getting into the realm of polypharmacy. e.g. I discover lots of people on several meds for hypertension (HTN), when they know they have Sleep Apnea [but haven't bothered to tell their MDs), etc. Rxing for a symptom, when there is an underlying problem , which deserves investigation, is kind of bad practice, if you ask me.)

QueensU_girl
09-24-07, 12:48 AM
I am seeing stuff on Google about URIs with Provigil. (e.g. upper respiratory tract infections like Rhinitis)