View Full Version : Getting an Adult Diagnosed + Cost

Driver
08-30-07, 02:44 AM
Hi,

How do you go about getting an adult officially diagnosed with ADD? And how much does it cost? What's the best way to do it?

My fiancee would like to get officially diagnosed. While we're 99% sure she's got it, we would like to get it in black & white to: get proof once and for all, silence the nay-sayers as well as to find and open up any doors of support available to her. She's not interested in medication.

Edit: We're in Canberra/ACT.

aloha1983
09-12-07, 09:03 AM
Hey driver,

Ask for recommendations of a psychiatrist who regularly does ADD/ADHD diagnosises. You may have to try one or two before you find one you 'click' with. It's expensive, but you can't put a price on peace of mind or the best treatment. Also, read as much as you can on the subject. You probably have a good idea that she has it but it doesn't hurt to be well informed.

Good luck! Let me know how you go.

~boots~
04-29-08, 04:01 AM
My friend in the ACT had a heck of a job getting diagnosed! It's a lot harder than in WA..
how'd did things go?
:)

Sandy4957
04-29-08, 04:06 AM
Not sure if this helps, Driver, but here in the states it cost me the expense of one 1.5 hour psychiatrist consultation. Came to, as I recall, about $300 US. Because it's not something that can be "tested" for, it's not that expensive, ultimately. A qualified person takes her history and evaluates it and that's about it.

Driver
04-29-08, 04:15 AM
*yawn* Wow, waking up the dead here.

No we haven't looked into it further yet.

I wonder if I have another stalker...

~boots~
04-29-08, 04:21 AM
*yawn* Wow, waking up the dead here.

No we haven't looked into it further yet.

I wonder if I have another stalker...

LOL...I was just wondering....:p
I wonder if I have another stalker..didn't know you had one.

Driver
04-29-08, 05:35 AM
LOL...I was just wondering....:p
I wonder if I have another stalker..didn't know you had one.

Sssh, or you'll spook her and I'll get more hair and toenail clippings...

ozchris
04-29-08, 05:49 AM
Took me years to see a psychiatrist in Adelaide for adult ADD. Waiting lists are normally quite long :(

I'd been diagnosed twice when I was a kid, no problems. But since I've had a substance abuse problem I had to get a diagnoses from not ONE but TWO psychiatrists! I know there's a good reason for it but it was very annoying to say the least.

I now have 4 psychiatrist and 3 psychologist diagnoses :P want to borrow one?

~boots~
04-29-08, 06:43 AM
Took me years to see a psychiatrist in Adelaide for adult ADD. Waiting lists are normally quite long :(

I'd been diagnosed twice when I was a kid, no problems. But since I've had a substance abuse problem I had to get a diagnoses from not ONE but TWO psychiatrists! I know there's a good reason for it but it was very annoying to say the least.

I now have 4 psychiatrist and 3 psychologist diagnoses :P want to borrow one?I probably shouldn't have, but I laughed at that:D:D

Scooter77
03-24-10, 07:03 AM
Oops just realised this thread is rather dated, so you don't need my info!

Driver
03-24-10, 07:06 AM
LOL, yes it's rather dated and now moot: I've been diagnosed.

FrazzleDazzle
03-24-10, 10:11 AM
You had originally posed the question regarding your fiance, Driver. Did she ever get diagnosed?

Driver
03-24-10, 08:06 PM
You had originally posed the question regarding your fiance, Driver. Did she ever get diagnosed?

Nope.

bree
01-11-11, 04:09 PM
took me years to see a psychiatrist in adelaide for adult add. Waiting lists are normally quite long :(

i'd been diagnosed twice when i was a kid, no problems. But since i've had a substance abuse problem i had to get a diagnoses from not one but two psychiatrists! I know there's a good reason for it but it was very annoying to say the least.

I now have 4 psychiatrist and 3 psychologist diagnoses :p want to borrow one?

yes please....